The beginning

The mortal kiss

I had a dream. It was a beautiful dream but at the same time it was terrifying. In that dream I saw myself in an unfamiliar place with other youngsters around my age and younger. There were a few adults too, but they were dressed up formally but casually. And I was wearing a skirt. A skirt! And an uncomfortable jacket on top of a white collar shirt. It looked like a school uniform I've seen while on duty in Seoul.

In the dream, I noticed that all the girls were wearing the same uniform and the boys, too, but without a skirt. They had pants! I wanted to wear pants too. That was so unfair in my opinion. Not all girls like to wear skirts and not all boys like to wear pants. Military uniform is so much more comfortable. Or that is at least what I thought in that dream.

Thankfully I'm homeschooled in army. That is were I live, too. Sounds odd, I know but what I've been told is that I was abandoned as a baby. I don't have any caring relatives, that is a fact. The ones who raised me, searched every file and information they could find about me and where I came from. Turns out, the woman who gave birth to me abandoned me because she didn't love me. She didn't want to have children in the first place, she was only nineteen when she had me. I don't know if she is alive or not but it doesn't matter to me. I never knew her and she is nothing to me. So, I don't count her and her family as relatives to me.

My biological father on the other hand. He worked in the military where I live. That is how I was brought to grow here. My father found me in the woods where my mother left me. She was kind enough to inform my father about me being there. On Christmas Day. How kind and warmhearted. My father loved me and took care of me for four years but then he suddenly had a call to leave for a mission. That is where he was killed. On a mission to keep the peace ongoing. After his funeral, his family disappeared and I was left in the military. What a cruel word. No, cruel human beings.

My father didn't speak much about my mother. The others at the army knew that she had abandoned me but after my father's death, they started the search for any caring relative. My father's wish was that I'd grow in the military because he knew and trusted the people there. He didn't want me to grow up in foster families or in a home for abandoned children. I understand his decision. I'd have probably done the same if I was in his boots. I don't remember much of him but I do remember that he was kind, fun and a bit stubborn. He was loved. He was a  man with a caring heart. He didn't even hate my mother. He disliked her but didn't hate. He was five years older than her.

"Jung Min Ji! Stop daydreaming and focus! This is a command!" A loud voice was shouting right in front of me. I opened my eyes and immediately sat up straight.

"Yes, sir!" I said in a steady voice.

"Do you understand?" The man in front of me continued.

"Yes, sir!" I didn't meet his eyes.

"Good, now, tell me the answer" he said in a softer voice. That meant I could look at him in the eyes. He is my homeschool teacher, officer cadet Han Dong-il. Works also in the military.

"Um the Korean War-"

"Young lady, be more confident when answering a question!"

"The Korean War began on 25 June 1950 and ended 27 July 1953. That is the answer"  I said confidently. Officer cadet Han was nodding his head. He was pleased.

"Good and for the last thing for today, I've something for you Min" he used my nickname. This is no good. Oh no, oh no. He pulled a pretty big package under his desk. "Here, open it" he smiled his fatherly smile. This meant no good even if he meant good. I took the package from him and started opening it. I lifted the top off of it and what was in the package: a backpack. I took it out of the package.

"A backpack?" I said out loud. I examined it. It was pretty, not going to lie. Just a simple wine red velvet backpack. The velvet felt to soft against a hand. I liked it a lot.

"You're going to need it tomorrow" he said with a hint of excitement in his voice. He was holding something behind his back.

"Why am I going to need a backpack tomorrow?" I asked. I was confused for a big time. He revealed what he was holding behind his back.

"Ta-daah! You're going to a public school for your senior year! Starting tomorrow!" He was clearly excited. But I wasn't. He was holding a high school uniform. It had a grey skirt, white collar shirt, black soft vest, dark blue jacket, black shoes, white socks and a red bow with stripes. A nightmare.

"But why?" I asked and stared at the uniform skirt in disgust. I felt everytime I had to wear a skirt.

"Because, you need to experience normal teenage life for little. Army can wait. You need friends of your age and company from them. You need to enjoy your life to the fullest and high school is a part of it" he explained. I couldn't believe what I just heard with my very own ears.

"You're kidding, right?" I carefully touched the bow and looked at him. He was smiling proudly.

"Not at all. You're going. You'll be just fine! I'll drop you off tomorrow morning and if you want to, I can walk you inside and-" I cut him off.

"No, no, no! I can do it myself! But you can drop me off..." I muttered the rest of the sentence.

"It's the beginning of March so you're not going to be behind other students" he chirped happily.

I was kinda okay to go to school but the problem is, I don't know about public school and... And how I'm supposed to act there? Clearly no weapons are allowed to take to school, that would be weird.

"How am I supposed to act there?" I asked. He looked at me and said:

"Just be you. Don't cause any trouble and you'll be fine. Be friendly and kind and you'll have friends." I nodded at his answer. Am I going to be fine? I think so.