Up and Down on the Rollercoaster

Tiny Owners of a Dry Eden

“You must be kidding me.”

 

Seungwan stood in their living room, looking at Joohyun, eyes filled with distaste. Her girlfriend flashed her a bright smile, waggling the purple garment in excitement. She had known that her girlfriend was peculiar, but…

 

“It is cute, Wannie. Plus, it keeps you warm.” Joohyun giggled. 

 

Seungwan, of course, did not share the same sentiment towards the couple hoodies. “Joohyun, it is summer. I think we will feel warm enough with a simple tee.” 

 

The argument was useless, Seungwan knew. She hardly ever won any debate with her girlfriend. Heck, she would even wear a clown costume with the red rubber nose if that what Joohyun was asking for. All Joohyun needed to convince her girlfriend was just some few extra pushes. 

 

“But I didn’t buy any couple tees,” Joohyun pouted, “and I wanted to wear something special on this date.” She looked at Seungwan downheartedly, “in movies, couples always wear this kind of clothes when they go to amusement parks, so I thought-“

 

“Well, I did hear from the weather forecast that the wind will be a little strong today” Seungwan, couldn’t stand the sight of dejected Joohyun, hurriedly took the purple hoodie from the older’s grips. Whipped.

 

Joohyun seemed to think so too. She just smirked as Seungwan put the silly piece of clothing over her tee. “You look perfect!” The older exclaimed, extremely pleased. “Look, now we are matching.” She giddily jumped in her place before engulfing Seungwan into a tight hug. 

 

See, who would not want to make Joohyun happy like this? Seungwan just conceded into the hug, putting her chin on Joohyun’s shoulder. The longer she dated the older, the more convinced she was that Joohyun was just a big baby underneath all those sophisticated demeanours. She then felt Joohyun moved, leaning into her ears. “This is why you are always the bottom, Seungwan.

 

[•••••]

 

The amusement park was not as crowded as Seungwan thought it would be. It was filled by mostly groups of teenagers and young couples, like Seungwan and Joohyun. Matching the spirit of the place, Joohyun wore a cute rabbit’s ear hat while Seungwan wore the koala’s one (equipped completely with a koala nose’s cap that made Seungwan looked ridiculous but again, whipped).

 

A theme-park date had never been the kind of dates Seungwan enjoyed. She had always preferred a relaxing evening, cuddling on the sofa watching movies, or a night out in a jazz cafe, dining with the accompaniment of charming performances. This date was right up Joohyun’s alley, and since this was a celebration for Joohyun’s promotion in her job, the older had the say in the directions that day would be taking.

 

“I think there should be an order of things in this kind of outings.” Seungwan groaned. It has not been ten minutes since they arrived and Joohyun already led Seungwan to the most terrifying ride in the park. 

 

“There is no order, Wannie. It is a park, not a court.” Joohyun dragged Seungwan to the line of the ride. 

 

“They put a carousel right in front of the entrance for a reason, Hyunnie. People should feel at ease first before surrendering themselves to be hauled up and down at high speed.” 

 

Joohyun, too busy looking at the rollercoaster’s rails, did not pay attention to Seungwan’s grumbling. “Whoa, look at them, they go really high up,” Joohyun said, pointing at the people on the ride. Like it was a cue, the people screamed their lungs out as the attraction dropped down. “Did you hear that, Seungwan? They sounded like they are having fun!” Peculiar, indeed. 

 

Seungwan put her arms around Joohyun’s stomach, embracing the older with a back-hug. She nuzzled her chin on the older’s shoulder, smiling as she could smell Joohyun’s shampoo. 

 

“Really Wannie? I thought you are not a big fan of PDA.” The older might , but Joohyun already had her hand on top of Seungwan’s, making sure Seungwan did not move them. 

 

“Since we skipped the carousel, I am calming my nerves in a different way.” She could feel Joohyun’s smile widening at her words. 

 

“But you are not scared of rollercoasters.” 

 

“Do I need to be scared of them in order to hug you?” Joohyun scoffed, but Seungwan knew that her girlfriend liked her answer. 

 

“No, you don’t need reasons, Wannie,” Joohyun said, but then she entangled Seungwan’s hands, “however it is our turn now so you need to let go.”

 

“Why don’t they make rollercoaster couple-friendly again?”

 

[•••••]

 

Joohyun then continued to drag Seungwan around. They rode rides that went sideways, backwards, and turned them to all direction possible. Seungwan still had not found any joy in those rides that just made her felt like fruits inside a blender. However, those moments after the agonies, when her girlfriend with her hair dishevelled looked at her with stars in her eyes, saying “Again, again!”, Seungwan thought that she found the reason why people went on dates to these places. 

 

“I will let you choose the ride after this,” Joohyun said, mouth still filled with the lunch Seungwan had packed.  

 

Seungwan raised her eyebrows. “Really? You are going to regret this, Bae Joohyun.”

 

“I am good at rides, Wannie. I am pretty sure I can handle them all.” Joohyun shot her a smug smile. That confidence, however, was completely gone went the both of them stood in front of the entrance of the haunted house. 

 

“Cat got your tongue?” Seungwan nudged her girlfriend who was holding to her arm with both her tiny hand. Seungwan watched as Joohyun’s eyes scanned the building. 

 

Seungwan bit her lips, trying to stop the smile that was threatening to come out. “You do know there is no real ghost in there, right?” She saw Joohyun gulped, then looked at her with a serious stare.

 

M…Mhmm! I…I am not scared!” Irene said, voice shaking. 

 

Seungwan chuckled. Can she get any cuter? She looked at her girlfriend, smiling, “I was just messing with you, Hyunnie. We don’t have to go in. Let’s go ride that pirate ship one more time.” 

 

Joohyun sighed in relief, letting out the breath she had been holding in unconsciously. They were about to go when a voice called Seungwan’s name. 

 

Seungwanie!” 

 

Seungwan turned back, looked for the source of the voice when she spotted a woman with blonde hair tied into a braid. “Taeyeon unnie?” Seungwan could feel Joohyun tensed up at the mention of the older’s name. 

 

“Wow, it has been so long, right Seungwan? How long has it been, again? Three years? Or four?” Taeyeon walked over to her with a bright smile. “Anyway, how have you been? Are you still in the music industry?”

 

Taeyeon was Seungwan’s senior in college. They both majored in music and they met through a mentoring program at their university. Joohyun had only heard about Taeyeon from Yerim once, however, that was enough to know the significance of Taeyeon’s role in Seungwan’s life.  

 

“Taeyeon unnie is the one who made Seungwan realise that she was gay,” Yerim said once before Joohyun and Seungwan got together. “You could say that she is Seungwan’s first love.”

 

Joohyun sighed at the memory. She looked at Taeyeon nodding and smiling as Seungwan explained her job as a composer at a record label. 

 

“I’m so sorry for being rude,” Taeyeon said, looking at Joohyun, “my name is Kim Taeyeon. I am Seungwan’s old friend.” Taeyeon offered her hand for a handshake. 

 

“Ah, unnie, this is my-“

 

“Bae Joohyun” Joohyun answered, cutting in Seungwan’s words, “it is nice to meet you.” Seungwan tried to catch her girlfriend’s eyes, but Joohyun kept her gaze elsewhere. 

 

“I just went in the haunted house,” Taeyeon said, then chuckled “it is not as scary as I thought it would be. Have you all tried it?” 

 

“We are actually skippi

 

“We are about to go in,” Joohyun, again. Seungwan looked at Joohyun, perplexed at the older’s behaviour. 

 

“I have to go,” Taeyeon pointing at the group of people waiting for her, “I hope you have fun in the haunted house. I’m so glad we get to meet again, Seungwannie. Nice to meet you, Joohyun.” Taeyeon waved them goodbye then returned to her friends. 

 

“Let’s go inside the haunted house,” Joohyun walked towards the place. 

 

“Wait a minute, Joohyun please slow down for a moment!” Seungwan ran, tried to catch up with her girlfriend who already went inside. 

 

[•••••]

 

It was safe to say that Joohyun messed up in the haunted house. The workers who were dressed as ghosts probably felt bad for her so they just guide her through it and showed her the way out. They were now seated inside the park’s cafe, Seungwan ordering some ice cream to calm her girlfriend down. “I got you the strawberries flavoured,” Seungwan said. Joohyun said nothing as she sullenly bit into the ice cream. 

 

“Is it nice?”

 

Joohyun nods.

 

Seungwan watched her girlfriend silently finished her ice cream. “Is this about Taeyeon unnie?”

 

Joohyun looked up to Seungwan and sighed heavily. “She got nice hair.” 

 

Seungwan raised her eyebrows. “Umm… I guess?”

 

“And a nice face, she is very pretty,” Joohyun continued, “She is also very nice. You both loved the same thing, work in the same field, and I…” Joohyun looked down, pausing. “She is even good at haunted houses. How could I compete with that?” She finished timidly, voice getting lower after each word.

 

Seungwan put her hand under Joohyun’s chin, raising it up so their eyes would meet. “There is no competition.” She said firmly, looking at Joohyun’s eyes. “She might be my first crush but that was only because I met her first,” Seungwan gently smile, “if I were to meet you first, I would fall head over heels for you. The end result will always be the same, Joohyun-ah. The three of us would meet here, just like now, and it would always be your hand I’m holding as a girlfriend, no matter who I met first.”

 

Seungwan watched as Joohyun’s face lighten up. “So you would not change anything?”

 

“The only thing I would change is probably this stupid koala ear band,” Seungwan groaned, “this ridiculous plastic nose does not let me kiss you.”

 

Joohyun finally smiled, leaning in to take the offensive accessory off Seungwan, “not even the purple couple hoodie?”

 

“Nope,” Seungwan cupped her girlfriend face, leaning in, “not if it’s from you,” she said before closing the gap between them. “Now let’s go ride those antigravity rides you like.”

 


 

A/N: A short update just to celebrate RV's comeback! I'm not used to writing fluff so I hope I did this right.