Six.

Love and Learn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jooheon woke to the sound of rain hitting his bedroom window. He felt groggy and stiff, and he yawned and stretched before rolling over to face Changkyun’s side of the bed with a groan intending to complain about it. Only as his eyes focussed and he woke up a little more he realised Changkyun’s side of the bed was empty. He frowned, gaze going to the digital clock on Changkyun’s bedside table instead. It was almost eleven. He couldn’t believe Changkyun had let him sleep in so long. They had things to do, cleaning, laundry, shopping…

And then Jooheon remembered what had happened the night before. Changkyun had been so happy when the pregnancy test they’d bought had shown positive. He’d been over the moon. That exhilaration had probably worn off though Jooheon mused. Morning had come and reality had no doubt hit him. That’s why he’d left him to sleep, he’d realised what a big deal having a baby was and had taken the advantage of the peace and quiet to deliberate on that and come to terms with it.

He should probably go and find him he decided. They had a lot to do and a lot to talk about and he’d already wasted almost half the day in bed. But first he was going to head to the bathroom. It would be a lot easier to hold a proper conversation once he felt human and washing up and brushing his teeth would be a step in the right direction.

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

 

By the time Jooheon walked into his living room he felt a little more awake. And when he did he was met not by the sight of Changkyun sitting and brooding on the couch but by the sight of him at the kitchen counter, unpacking shopping bags. And when Changkyun looked up and caught him staring a smile so wide and genuine spread across his face it became clear that even if he had been brooding then he definitely wasn’t now. “I thought I heard you get up.” He said brightly, pausing what he was doing.

“Why didn’t you wake me?” Jooheon asked, making his way further into the room to stand by the breakfast bar.

“The last few days must have been exhausting for you, dealing with everything on your own. And you were sleeping so soundly, I just didn’t have the heart.” Changkyun told him. “And even if I’d wanted to I doubt that I could have, not without a battle anyway.”

Jooheon had to admit that that was kind of sweet. But he still had questions. Questions like “But how did you get all this shopping home yourself?” Carrying everything back home was always a two person job.

“Magic.” Changkyun said simply as he placed a bag of pasta in the cupboard.

Jooheon frowned at his boyfriend’s back as he turned and started unpacking another grocery bag. He could be so ridiculous sometimes. “So… you rang for a taxi?” He guessed, after giving it some thought.

“No, it was it definitely magic but if that’s easier for you to believe let’s go with that.” Changkyun told him, managing to keep his face perfectly straight.

Jooheon could have argued this. Taking a taxi when he could have just woken him up had been a waste of money and with a baby to think about wasting money was something they should be trying to avoid. But then again it was probably the baby Changkyun had been thinking about when he’d made the decision to leave him in bed, Jooheon reminded himself. “Did you get everything we needed?” He asked instead, deciding to let it slide.

“I think so.” Changkyun said, “If I forgot anything I guess I can just magic myself back to the supermarket later and pick it up.”

“Or we could just walk there together.” Jooheon suggested. He was up and awake now, Changkyun didn’t have to go out on his own.

A noncommittal ‘maybe’ was Changkyun’s response to this. Then he was changing the subject. “How are you feeling this morning?” He asked, looking up from the bag he was unpacking.

It took Jooheon a moment to answer. He hadn’t really stopped to think about it, he’d been too concerned by Changkyun’s absence to give it much thought. But now that he was stopping to think he realised the answer was ‘could be better’. He wasn’t exhausted but he still felt drowsy, he didn’t feel like he was about to throw up but he did feel nauseous. “Not bad.” He settled on saying, not wanting to worry Changkyun over something he couldn’t help.

“So… not great?” Changkyun guessed, knowing him far too well.

“No, not great.” Jooheon admitted, knowing there was no point denying it. “I feel a little queasy, that’s all. But Hyungwon said that if I made sure to eat something as soon as I get up that would help.”

“Hyungwon?” Changkyun echoed, tone curious.

And it was only then that Jooheon remembered that he hadn’t told Changkyun that Hyungwon knew he was pregnant too. “I wanted you to be the first to know but he worked it out himself.” Jooheon told him, feeling guilty.

But it seemed he needn’t have worried. Changkyun didn’t seem hurt by this revelation at all. “Ah, because of the crying.” He guessed, sounding entirely unconcerned.

“Yeah, because of the crying.” Jooheon echoed, glad he didn’t sound mad but equally confused. “You’re not upset? That I didn’t tell you first I mean…”

“Hyungwon’s your friend.” Changkyun said. “And he guessed so it’s not like you could avoid telling him.”

“I guess so.” Jooheon agreed, wondering how he’d ended up with such an understanding boyfriend. If it had been the other way around then he knew he’d have been at least a little hurt by it. But then again Changkyun had always been more laidback than he was.

But almost as soon as this thought had crossed his mind Changkyun was exclaiming “What are you doing?”, eyes widening and the bag he’d been unpacking forgotten.

“I’m making myself some toast…” Jooheon said slowly, surprised by the change in Changkyun’s attitude. Or at least that’s what he was planning to do. He still felt queasy and he thought it might help but he hadn’t even made it as far as the bread bin. “… so can I just…” he asked, trying to move around Changkyun so he could start on making his breakfast.

But Changkyun only sidestepped and blocked his way. “I can do that.” He told him. “You said you were feeling ill, didn’t you? So you go and sit down and I’ll bring it to you.”

“I don’t feel that ill.” Jooheon argued. “I think I can manage to put some bread in the toaster.”

“But you don’t have to. I’m already in here and it will only take me two minutes so go on, sit down and relax.” Changkyun insisted.

Jooheon didn’t need to sit down and relax. He’d only just woken up. But he was still tired and arguing further would require effort. And giving in just this once wouldn’t hurt. Changkyun was only trying to help and the earnest look on his face was kind of endearing. “Okay, fine.” He said. “I’ll sit down. But you don’t have to do every little thing for me. I’m pregnant, I’m not sick. There is a difference.”

“What if I want to do every little thing for you?” Changkyun asked.

“Then I guess I can’t stop you.” Jooheon conceded. “But I’m sure it’s going to start getting old fast.”

“We’ll see.” Changkyun said with a smile. “Now go on, go and sit down.”

And Jooheon turned with a sigh and headed for the couch.

 

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

 

It was late afternoon and Changkyun had yet to tire of doing every little thing for him. Jooheon had tried to clear up after breakfast and had had his plate snatched from his hands. When he’d asked Changkyun to pass him a cloth so he could wipe down the table, Changkyun had told him he didn’t want him using chemicals that might be bad for the baby and had done it himself.

Jooheon had tried to point it was only anti-bacterial spray and he was going to be using it all the time at work but Changkyun hadn’t listened. Then when Changkyun had gone into their room to get dressed Jooheon had gone into the cupboard to get the vacuum cleaner. There were toast crumbs everywhere and it was his turn to vacuum anyway. But as soon as he’d switched the power on Changkyun had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter