ONE

A Beautiful Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He remembered one of the worst things that happened on his birthday; he was fresh out of college, ready to step into adulthood. What he was not ready for was for his ex to deliver the news that she was pregnant and that she didn’t want the baby. His ex was a rising model, she was building her career and she knew pregnancy and early marriage will have held her career off. He had begged her to keep the baby, he didn’t care if she didn’t want it, if after the baby was born she’s was going to leave him. Afterall, he wasn’t serious with her too.

 

After nine months and few months of his ex making sure that the baby didn’t need to be fed anymore, he had sent his ex away with a smile. Content with his life and the beautiful baby girl in his arms. Because he knew Soohyun is the greatest gift he would ever get.

 

For six years, Baekhyun raised Soohyun alone, with the help of his mother every time he needed to go to work. He was always so grateful that Soohyun is a very nice little girl who didn’t get too clingy and understood that Baekhyun needed to work.

 

The first time Baekhyun held Soohyun, he remembered how much he cried. His eyes were filled with tears as he caressed the little girl’s full cheeks, cooing at her. He noticed that she really got his genes, from her button nose, her full cheeks, to her slightly plump but downward lips.

 

Baekhyun remembered the very first time he needed to change Soohyun’s diaper. He was so frustrated because he never done it before and Soohyun kept crying because she felt uncomfortable and Baekhyun kept messing up, but once he finally did it, he would never forget the little giggle Soohyun gave him.

 

One of his favorite early memory of Soohyun was when he held her in his arms as he fed her milk. He remembered how annoyed his little princess was when he kept teasingly pulling away the milk bottle– her gurgles were what kept Baekhyun alive and happy.

 

He remembered the first time Soohyun was able to crawl her way to him. He was busy with his laptop at the time and she was put in her playpen, but suddenly, he could feel her little hand pulling on the hem of his shirt to gain his attention. He squealed so hard he cried (he’s sure that startled his little princess), before announcing to the whole world that Little Soohyun was able to crawl without falling!

 

He had been sad when he wasn’t there to witness Soohyun’s first walking experience. He had been out of time for business when her mother sent him a video of Soohyun giggling and walking, while calling out “Hyun! Hyun!”

 

Hyun. Soohyun’s first word instead of “dad”. He wondered how she managed to call him ‘Hyun’– only to figure out that his mom had been referring to him as Hyunee to the family when whilst he was away. It was endearing that Soohyun’s first word is a part of his name and hers. Eventually, she learned to call him daddy.

 

Baekhyun was content with his life. His work was going well and Soohyun grew up into a little girl that barely gave him a hard time. She was very understanding―and for the most part, she loved him as much as he loved her. Baekhyun never thought his life would be better than this, until he met her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Byun Soohyun are you excited for your first day of elementary school!?” Baekhyun squeaked when the both of them were seated safely in his car, on the way to Soohyun’s school. Soohyun’s medium hair length was tied into a messy ponytail as she munched excitedly on her strawberry jam sandwich.

“OBVIOUSLY!” She screamed, bouncing up and down on her seat. Baekhyun groaned and tried his best to hold her with one hand whilst carefully driving.

 

Once they reached the parking lot, Baekhyun looked at his daughter, admiring her chubby cheeks and button nose. “Are you reeeaaaddddy?” he asked, probably more excited than his daughter herself. He heard her giggling and he quickly got out of the car and walked to the passenger seat to fetch his daughter.

 

Baekhyun held his daughter’s hand as they walked inside the gate of the elementary school. He wanted to know which class Soohyun was in and the atmosphere around it. Once they reached the front of the class, Baekhyun crouched down and held his daughter’s cheeks with his palms, squishing them affectionately.

 

“Be a good girl, okay, Princess? Daddy will pick you up later and we can go and have your favorite food for lunch.”

 

Baekhyun saw his daughter nod enthusiastically. She kissed Baekhyun’s cheek before he ushered her inside the classroom. Baekhyun knew that she wouldn’t have a hard time mingling with the other kids since his little girl was pretty chatty―courtesy of him.

 

Baekhyun walked back to his car enjoying the scenery of students running around in the hallway, reminiscing all the good times he had back when he was still in school. His thoughts were pretty occupied that he didn’t notice someone coming his way―making them bump into each other. The person who bumped into him squeaked, muttering a sorry and making Baekhyun chuckle and gave her his full attention. She was shorter than Baekhyun, her head only coming around his chest. She was pretty, with her hair tied in a bun that gave Baekhyun a perfect view of her face.

 

“I’m really sorry, I was rushing out to get to my classroom and I didn’t see where I was going,”

 

She muttered sheepishly, reaching out to her pocket to take a strawberry flavored candy gum to give it to him. “This was supposed to be for my students, but since I have an extra, here’s one for you as a token of apology!”

 

Baekhyun was surprised at her randomness, nonetheless he took the candy and pocketed  it. He didn’t want to be rude when someone offered him something. “It’s fine, I’m sure my daughter will love the candy since she really loves the strawberry flavored ones.”

 

“Ah! I take that your daughter is in her first year? Since kids love candies,” she said, amused at the information of Baekhyun being a father–though she felt a tad bit disappointed that someone as attractive as him was taken. Well, it would be weird if he’s wasn’t, she thinks. Since he was very attractive.

 

“Yeah, today is her first day. Anyway, the bell is going to ring soon, don’t you need to go to class?” He mused, liking the way her eyes widened in panic at the realization.

 

“You’re right! I’ll get going, then. Once again, thank you and I’m sorry for bumping into you.”

 

Baekhyun swore her smile was the brightest, maybe brighter than Soohyun’s―don’t tell Soohyun that though―and he nervously nodded and said his goodbye to the teacher.

 

Since Baekhyun took the day off from work, his mind couldn’t stop thinking about her. He liked her smile, he liked how she spoke so softly. He had a hunch that she was probably good with kids, and he wished to get to know her more.

 

The excitement of fetching Soohyun home turned him into wanting to see the teacher again and to talk to her again.

 

 

 

Fate works in a strange way, he mused. He was standing in front of Soohyun’s homeroom to pick her up when he saw her. She was giving away the strawberry candy gum to the students who were walking out from her classroom. He was so amused watching her that he didn’t hear Soohyun’s name was being called out, which resulted in the teacher thinking that Soohyun wasn’t being picked up yet. Until he saw the teacher walking towards him and Soohyun holding her hand.

 

“If Soohyunie didn’t tell me that you’re her dad, I would have thought you’re creeping on me.” Her tone was playful and he felt his ears getting red because of it. Baekhyun felt Soohyun’s tiny hand wrapped around his index and ring finger, making him stop giving the teacher a shy smile and gave his daughter attention. Crouching down so he was at the same eye level as her, he her cheek before he gave the corner of Soohyun’s lips a kiss. “Did you do well, little princess?” He asked, curious about her day.

 

“Yes, daddy! I did so well today!” She chirped, hugging Baekhyun’s neck and latching herself to him. Baekhyun picked her up so he was carrying her in his arms. He gave Soohyun’s head a kiss before he turned his head to look at the teacher who had a fond smile on her lips.

 

“Did she really do well?” His tone was playful. He trusted his daughter did do well today. He just want to make a conversation with the woman.

 

“Mmhm! Soohyunie did really well today, and she was so proud of her ponytail. She kept boasting to the kids saying her daddy tied her hair beautifully.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled, eyes crinkled into crescents. He was pretty embarrassed at that since he knew he did a bad job in tying his daughter’s hair.

 

“I’m glad then, even though I did a bad job at it.”

 

She laughed at his words. Her laughter sounded so melodic in his ears that he wanted to listen to it over and over again.

 

“You didn’t, it’s cute. And the most important part is that she’s proud of it. Right, Soohyunie?”

 

Baekhyun gave the teacher a sweet smile, hand coming up to caress Soohyun’s head before giving it a kiss.

 

“Well then, we’ll get going. See you, Miss Teacher! Soohyun say bbabba?”

 

Soohyun then shyly peeked her head out from Baekhyun’s neck, grinning as she waved her hand to say bye to the teacher which meant a bye in response. Totally a good day, Baekhyun thinks.

 


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter