(Smols/UmHa) - The Beauty of Breakups and Moving On

Gfriend One-Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finishing all my paperwork, I looked around to find my co-workers still busy on their monitors, while some were having their last-minute leisure with a cup of coffee. Darting my gaze on the clock, I let myself breathe out the air I've been keeping. 'Just a few more minutes... '

 

5,... 4,...3...,2,...1 "Thanks for all your hard work~!" Director Choi greeted; standing up from her chair and giving her best smile as always. I heard my co-workers all heave a sigh, some even yawning as they pack up. 

 

10:00

 

Letting out a little sigh, I packed my stuff like everyone, preparing to get back home. I felt a little pat on my shoulder and turning my gaze, I found SinB giving me a pleasant smile, "You've done well, Yewon~ah!" She mouthed before handing me one of her precious choco-milk (as she calls it), while I replied with a small smile and whispering my farewells. Although, I gave her a playful grin when Director Choi flashed her a wink.

 

"Oh, shut up..." She murmured, nonetheless with her cheeks visibly pink. It's no wonder after all, that my same-aged co-worker was in a secret romance with our Director. That's a secret I'd like to keep though.

 

 

Leaving the office building, I was greeted with the cold breeze of the night. Heaving a small sigh, I watch the cars a move along the rowdy roads, as I let myself rest at one of the benches on the bus stop. Normally, I would've waited... 

 

 

But, I feel like walking today... Just like for the past few days.

 

 

I would find myself walking to the same path I once took during my drunken escapades when I was crying my heart out for something that's been lost, and something I've helplessly hold unto only for that very person to let me go. But past is past, and I don't have the energy to talk about it.

 

 

Stopping at one corner, I was somehow reminded how I helplessly hold onto that lampost as I stumble my way home. Walking a few more steps, I somehow saw a reflection of me that day crying so hard, and mumbling rubbishness as I let the alcohol took over my senses.

 

 

Following the same path I took during my heartbroken phase sure felt pathetic, but weirdly as it is, I find myself healing the wounds by going over them all over again.

 

 

Maybe it was because there's humor in the memory of your drunken state, or simply because I like torturing myself with these bittersweet moments. 

 

 

But during my few walks, I came to a realization that simply taking a look back on my past self gives a sense of... relief.

 

 

Cause just like in road trips, no matter how rough the road had gotten, you'll always come across a stop that will remind you to take rest. That the road is long, but you can take a break.

 

 

 

Halting my steps upon reaching the same convenience store I always passed by, I can't help but stare at the surroundings of that small space. Since I was a kid, I've always wondered why it's called a convenience store, and as I grew up, I learned as to why it is so convenient to have that small building around.

 

 

Entering college, made me visit these kinds of a store for my meals, and sometimes just to spend my lazy leisure time alone. But never did I thought, that this exact convenience store near my apartment complex would be SO convenient for the healing process of my broken heart.

 

 

That cold winter night felt the coldest, but my heart burned from the blazing pain of my chest and not even the cold weather can freeze the tears from my tear glands. It was simply a combination of cold and blaze; of fire and ice. And no blanket can warm my heart, nor any cold breeze can take away the burning pain from my inconsolable heart.

 

 

That was what it felt... The first heartbreak of my first love.

 

 

Sitting on of the blue plastic chairs, I let myself rest for a bit; arms rested on the table and my chin rested on my palms, I watch people come and go. Only to be a bit startled when one decided to put a can of beer in front of me.

 

However, I felt calm after I saw who the person was; it was the very same-cashier lady who wore the cutest smile ever whenever she greets those who enter the convenience store and that very same person who gave me the warmest smile that melted my aching frozen heart when I completely feel my heart cold as ice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter