Stupid Things

Stupid Things

Sana is staring into space, her eyes is fixed at the bonfire. She isn't exactly alone. She is with bunch of people surrounding the lit wooden fire. The sound of the string from the guitar made the environment lively, accompanied by their friends singing to the melody. All of them are at the age above twenty-two, a legal age for their own bonfire party. Some of them were blowing puff from cigarettes, others were drinking while enjoying each other's company. But not Sana. She just sit there, unbothered of her surrounding.

Later, she found herself gazing at the small wrapped weed between her friend's finger and thumb. The friend is smoking weed, huffing and puffing from the rolled paper making the area smoky.

 

"You wanna try?" She asked Sana, who immediately come back to Earth when she is being called out.

 

"Am I allowed to?" Sana asked, she's very naive or rather innocent.

 

"It's up to you, babe. I mean, it's no harm really." The girl told, offering the cigarette to Sana.

 

Of course Sana contemplate but it didn't take her long to realise that it was a mistake because when Dahyun came, she took the cigarette and break it into half then throw it aside.

 

"Dude, that cost like 5 bucks." The girl furrowed her eyebrows. "You better pay for that."

 

"Here, take the change and don’t ever talk to her again." Dahyun took out a ten from her leather jacket and put it onto the girl's hand as she left them with a satisfactory smile on her face.

 

Sana smiled at Dahyun, she lean her head on her shoulder when Dahyun sit next to her.

 

"You can do stupid things but that's not it." Dahyun said.

 

"Okay." Sana wrapped her arm around Dahyun. "Am I allowed to drink?" She asked.

 

"Um well I mean you'll be driving so better not." Dahyun reminded her.

 

"Okay." Sana smiled again. She feel safe around Dahyun, like she is being guard and protected. Dahyun's presence always made her feel reassuring.

 

"So what kind of stupid thing am I allowed to do then?" Sana asked Dahyun, her hair crown is brushing against Dahyun's jaw.

 

"Hmm." Dahyun is thinking. "Like jumping out to the cold sea." She answered, pointing at the river just in front of them where the reflection of the moon can be seen through the water current.

 

Sana face up to Dahyun, her eyes gleamed at the suggestion. That's when Dahyun knew that they're going to do the stupid thing together.

Sana ran ahead, holding hands with Dahyun towards to the sea. Dahyun let herself be pulled by Sana's little force, allowing herself to follow Sana to walk on the water. Their feet are running now because it's too cold to stay. The splash made their clothes wet, up to their upper body. Sana being too playful tried to push Dahyun to the water but being clumsy she is, she fell instead which makes Dahyun to laugh hysterically.

 

Sana pouted, whining like a baby she is. "Hey, stop laughing and help me out!"

 

"Oh sorry, here take my hand." Dahyun said after wiping her tear laugh. She offered her hand to Sana.

 

Sana made a sinister smile, a devil smirk when she grabbed Dahyun's hand only to pull her to the water with her. Dahyun grunted as she stumble upon Sana. "oof!"

 

Now it's Sana who laughed hysterically.

 

"You're gonna pay for what you just did." Dahyun tried threatening her, but Sana didn't feel threatened at all. Not when it's coming from Dahyun, she knew Dahyun wouldn't. Not even when it's a joke, Sana always get away with it.

 

"What are you gonna do about it?" Sana teased. Her eyes is shining while looking at Dahyun. It's almost like she is in love with her. Unfortunately, that's impossible because they are best friends and nothing more.

 

"I'm going to..." Dahyun tried to come up with something but nothing crossed her mind.

 

"What?" Sana did it again, teasing her with that playful face. It made Dahyun gulped even harder by the way she look at her, not just by the pressure to answer her.

 

Sana is her best friend, the one Dahyun have been taking care of ever since Sana lost her mother. She is like her own sister but non-blood related. Dahyun noticed Sana has changed after her mother's death, she is becoming too sensitive and fragile. She rely on Dahyun most of the time, and that didn't bother Dahyun at all. Sometimes Dahyun would sleep over at her place for months, it's like Sana's house is Dahyun's second home. Their family are quite close too, Dahyun's parents always welcomed Sana to their house and even let Sana to join them for summer vacation when Sana's father is on business going abroad. Her father can always put trust on the Kim's family, he would do them a favor and get some in return. That's how it is for them.

After all, Sana is an only child while Dahyun has a brother who doesn't really get along well with her considering that the brother is a bully to her. Thus, why Dahyun preferred staying at Sana's place most of the time. Plus, they can sleep late and order pizza at night to binge watch movie together without being nagged or bothered.

To Sana, Dahyun is like a hero beside her father that is. Dahyun has always been there for her more than anybody could, and that's why she love her endearingly. She have always wanted to have a younger sister too, Dahyun is like one except that she is a little too special. Sana always feel safe around Dahyun, she trusted Dahyun and would follow the girl everywhere. They literally grew up together.

However something feel strange that night, like something inside of their heart finally spoken. The way they look at each other is as if they wanted something.

 

"You're going to what, Dahyun?" Sana asked, still giggling.

 

There was a moment of silence. The stars behind them made a beautiful scene, but even if the stars above are beautiful, Dahyun couldn't take her eyes off of Sana. For some reason, their eyes were glued on each other. The water is still cold too, although their body temperatures are probably used to the coolness but Dahyun is trembling a little. Her heart is wavering inside. Sana felt the same too. It's the tension between them that made them feel nervous and anxious. Their minds were elsewhere too, they couldn't grab to a single thoughts.

 

"I'm going to do something stupid." Dahyun answered. Her eyes glimmered under the moon. "I'm... going to kiss you, Sana." She gulped.

 

"Dahyun..." Sana called, but nothing come after that. She is speechless.

 

With a gentle touch on the face, Dahyun pulled Sana and kiss her on the mouth. It feels weird, and dangerous because it's something they are not supposed to. But honestly, who said that? Who made that rule? Why can't they? Just because they were too afraid to take the risk or to make changes, they lied to themselves. They hid the truth, burying it deep down to the core until they can’t take it any longer and finally let it float. Despite feeling weird, the kiss give spark to their hearts like an electric tingling feeling that finally connected. Of course they feel butterflies in their tummies too, but the way their lips touched made them loosen themselves.

Sana reciprocate, entering Dahyun's mouth and deepened the kiss. They were kissing like their life depend on it because their neediness and cravings were finally accomplished.

Maybe they both  got overwhelmed that they dropped tears from their eyes, letting it to roll down their cheek. It made their face got a bit wet, but that didn't stop them from tasting each other's mouth. Sana put her arms around Dahyun's neck, Dahyun wrapped her arm around Sana's waist while their kiss continues.

When they broke the kiss to gasp for air, Sana lean her forehead against Dahyun. What made Dahyun startled is when she see Sana cried, knowing  that she is not the only one feeling emotional.

The way Sana smiled with her tears rolling down her face made Dahyun want to hug her tight, and so she did. She let Sana cried on her shoulder while she cried on hers, biting her lips to prevent herself from sobbing. Their minds were lost at the moment. Like what happened now? Are things going to change? They’re both happy to know that they reciprocate each other’s feelings, in fact they were too surprised or shocking is the word for the outcome. To them, it was very very unexpected but perhaps only to them because it was pretty much obvious.

Everything seems to aligned now, they have love each other but more than they thought they would. They were too scared to admit it, they never really thought about it much. But after the kiss, after the way they look at each other before the kiss, it made them realize how much they've wanted it. It made them sure that they have been in love for a long time.

It's sad, really sad how they keep it for this long. But it's better late than never. Things might have been different now but their love and bond will never be because Dahyun love Sana and Sana love Dahyun too. Although they have to figure things out together, but their love is enough for them for a start.

“Just so you know, kissing you was the best stupid things I’ve done in my life.” Dahyun told Sana as she cupped her face close to her.

Sana giggled, “I’m glad we did this stupid thing together.”

They kissed again under the beautiful sky, the stars and moon witnessing from above. The water and reflection made an aesthetic scene, it was pure beautiful but Dahyun thinks Sana is the most beautiful view of all.