Resume

Enamoured

“Stay here. I’m going to go make some copies real quick, then we can go to my desk,” my older sister, Sikyung, said before leaving me in the small unlit hallway.

I held onto her bag tightly against my chest like it was a teddy bear. I was 21 years old, but didn’t quite feel like it, being the baby of my family.

“Okay,” I leaned my back up against the wall beside the elevator. I looked at the large mirror display across from me and scanned my attire. I was in the building that was owned by a billionaire. So many people longed to work here. The pay was great and so were the benefits. My sister was an amazingly smart person. She was working towards a promotion.

My sister wore slacks or pencil skirts and blouses every single day. She barely had any normal wear. I frowned at my black leggings and black shirt and green jacket. I definitely didn’t fit in this company despite having just graduated with my business degree.

I didn’t have the mindset for working for such a large corporation, that’s why I was still working at a small café.

I sighed and looked down at my worn out sneakers. I surely would be able to buy a new pair with my next check, right?

The elevator doors beside me dinged opened. I looked up at the mirror and saw the reflection of three men. The one standing in the middle was about to walk out of the elevator but saw me through the mirror. He seemed important with the way he held himself. He stood still in the elevator as the two men behind him looked at each other with confusion.

I stared at the man in the middle a bit longer before looking away with disinterest.

I stared at my phone, wondering why Sikyung was taking so long.

The three men then walked out of the elevator and pass me without saying a word.

 

 

I sat at my sister’s desk as we ate the lunch I had made her. We lived in the same apartment, but I decided to visit her at work today since I knew she wasn’t eating all of her meals lately.

Her desk was a larger cubicle than the many others in the room because she was a team leader. She quickly chomped down on some beef before vigorously typing away on her computer. I sighed quietly and took another bite of rice before scanning her work area.

It would be nice to work in such a quiet environment, but it somewhat felt lonely.

I looked over the walls of her cubicle and saw the man again.

He was walking towards my sister’s small office. I looked at him, wondering why he was headed over here. He made eye contact with me with those cold dark brown eyes.

I wondered if I had offended him or something.

“Lee Sikyung?” the man spoke.

My older sister looked up and immediately began choking on her unfinished piece of meat.

“Y-Yes, CEO Oh,” Sikyung stood up and wiped , patting down her clothes. She stop me a sharp look, telling me to follow her actions.

Frowning, I stood up reluctantly and bowed to the man now standing in front of the both of us.

“Is this your sister?” the said CEO Oh gestured to me up and down with his chin.

“Y-Yes,” Sikyung grew red, her pupils were shaking.

I frowned again, looking at the CEO in dislike. He didn’t seem too kind. His eyes were narrowed on a cowered Sikyung like he was about to eat her alive. And, CEO? What was the CEO of such a large company doing here in this room? On this floor?

“Well,” CEO Oh turned to me. “It’s nice to meet you…” he trailed off.

“L-Lee Sihyeon! Her name is Lee Sihyeon. I apologize for her behavior, CEO Oh. She’s still young and learning,” Sikyung stuttered in fear, making my heart fall.

“Nonsense!” CEO Oh broke out into a smile for the first time since I’ve met him.

My frown only grew.

What was his real personality?

Even Sikyung seemed appalled by the man’s sudden change in behavior.

“W-What?” she asked. Her “professional” state faltering.

“I was just interested in hiring her because you’re a great employee, Sikyung. I’d love to snatch all of your family as employees if they work even half as good as you,” CEO Oh smiled.

Sikyung looked like someone had just slapped her across the face. Her jaw was frozen open. I just stood there, staring at the man and my sister, rather uncomfortable. It wasn’t hard to tell that this was probably the first time the CEO had complemented my sister, heck or even spoken to her in person.

I could feel the eyes of everyone in the open office on my sister and me.

The CEO finally laid his eyes on me with a soft smile that comforted me just a bit.

“It’s nice to meet you, Lee Sihyeon. I hope to see more of you in the future, as well as a resume.”