Chapter 10

Last Retry || Yulyen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A familiar short of phone vibration echoed in a room with magenta colored walls. The room was quite dark with just tiny table lamp lighting it, stopping the room to fall in complete darkness. Pair of dozy eyes drifted to phone screen, barely giving an effort to read. Yuri has already back in her house by Friday night.

 

“Is 5 AM too early for you?”

 

That was Yena’s message all along. They hadn’t made a decision of at what time they will be going for tomorrow’s hiking. The brunette typed her reply very slowly, at the edge of falling into her slumber already. And she did, she fell asleep with her phone on her hands. Yuri’s sleepy eyes had given up on her. She was dead tired from all the full classes and long drive.

 

In fifteen minutes, there’s another vibration, a longer one than the previous. The ringing phone disturbed Yuri’s deprived sleep. Hand scratching her back head, she took her time attempting to finally swipe her phone rightly. The brunette doesn’t even opening her eyes while picking up the call, she just wanted to get done with it so she could finally sleep in peace.

 

“Hey…” a familiar husky voice reached out in Yuri’s ears.

 

“Yeah…?” she answered in raucous voice. The caller said something but the girl didn’t respond. Yuri was back into full silent, unconsciously continuing her sleep until the caller called out to her name.

 

“Yuri..? Jo Yuri???” the husky voice was slightly raising her tone.

 

Yuri stretched her body, changed her position on her right side, letting her eyes opening in slow motion. She finally checked her screen with half-opened eyes just to find out that Yena is speaking on the other side.

 

“Miss Jo Yuri, were you asleep?” Yena had to ask to make the latter finally respond to her call.

 

“Uhh… Oh..? Yena? Sorry, I was sleeping,” Yuri finally answered properly, changed her position again, now lying on her back.

 

“I should apologize for interrupting you, but we should decide on what time we’ll be going tomorrow. Is 5 AM good?”

 

“OK! It’s fine with me, Yena.”

 

“Fine then, you better set your alarm before you fall asleep this time. Or I’ll just go ‘disturb’ you again,” Yena stated being the playful person as ever.

 

I don’t mind. Yuri’s inner snorted, not minding if Yena is going to disturb her sleep again because that means she would wake up to Yena’s voice, first thing in the morning.

 

“Then I better go sleep to have a quality rest so I won’t oversleep later.”

 

“Okay sleepyhead, good night then.”

 

“Night, Yena,” as soon as Yuri set her alarm and put her phone down on the side, she closed her heavy eyes once again. Drifted to another sleep, peacefully finally.

 

###

 

As dawn has beginning. Yuri prepared herself to go hike. Her alarm did her justice just right, she didn’t oversleep even though she does want to rest her eyes more. But she certainly wouldn’t want to make Yena wait for her.

 

Five minutes before 5 AM, Yuri felt her phone getting a short notification. And she definitely knew who it could be.

 

“I’m at your door, don’t want your grandfather to be awaken by a doorbell.”

 

Yuri’s lips made a small smile after reading that text, it was very thoughtful of Yena for not ringing the house bell. She took her walnut coat, going downstairs carefully with her light steps and grab her car key before opening the door.

 

A lone blonde figured with hair down were seen folding her arms, leaning to an orange Jaguar XE with eyes gazing far to the dark sky. That certain car looks pretty luxurious to please the brunette’s eyes as she made her way to Yena, “So... you’ll drive this?”

 

Yena nodded her head quickly from gazing, giving a warm smile at the later’s question. “I’ll be the one who drive us. You’ll be tired, so I want you to save that energy of yours to hike later. Now-“ her talking was interrupted by Yuri’s hand flashing a palm at her direction.

 

“Wait a bit,” she said shortly then rush back to her house leaving Yena all alone again. But it’s not long before she made her comeback, she was just returning her car key inside the house. “Let’s go, Yena.”

 

The blonde then opened the car’s door, offering Yuri to go inside first before she comes in, seating in the driver seat. Yena started the engine and they took off down the street, away from Yuri’s house.

 

The ride had been silent, thus Yuri decided to exchange few conversation with Yena. It’s a chance for her to get to know Yena more and she wouldn’t let any chance to slip.

 

“Didn’t know you own such a nice car, did my eyes failed to notice one when we’re at your house?”

 

Yena who was driving silently glanced to Yuri in just a brief moment before focusing back on the road ahead of her. “Ah, that, that’s because I park it in a public parking lot not at home.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I didn’t really go hang out beside jogging and going to the battle ground so I don’t ride this very often.”

 

“I see. What are you doing outside being a fighter?”

 

“Nothing. I stayed at home, playing games, reading books, listening to radio, sleeps, or anything else.”

 

Yuri kept the conversation going on as her curiosity got the best of her now. “I guess the money from the fighting is quite legit then.”

 

The blonde kind of shocked by the latter’s statement, unable to hold her chuckle so it just escaped . She slowed down the ride as she drifted her eyes into Yuri. “You can say it’s more than legit,” then she patted the steer lightly, “This is the result of that.”

 

“Yena… May I know the reason you chose to be a fighter?” Yena have been quite the mysterious, cool, and kind girl to Yuri in any way. Why would she beat people up? Is it really for money only? It’s confusing despite Yena’s sweet behavior. “I’m sorry if it’s too personal…” she added, doesn’t want to sound offensive with her question.

 

Yena hummed for a while, looking for the right words to answer. “Because it’s just… convenient for me I guess. I solely do it to make a living.”

 

Yena’s answer was honest.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter