Trouble

TWIN ROSES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part Two of the triple update! Don’t miss the previous one! (I have no idea how this chap ended up having so many dialogues. O_o

 

Returning from the bathroom where he had made himself busy, furiously brushing the tiles and scrubbing the bath ware in order to get all the menacing thoughts out of his head, Baekhyun looked at the couch.

Almost the whole day was spent cleaning the apartment as he never did, in order to get himself distracted from the rage and disappointment he felt about his father, and to distract himself from the girl who was sitting on the couch in his small living room.

Like a child set in a playpen until her mother finished the household chores, she had been sitting there for hours, turning her head every way he walked and worriedly waiting for him to talk to her.

Until evening.

Until she had finally fallen asleep on the same couch.

Feeling a tiny pang of pain at his chest, Baekhyun made his way back to the couch and bent down to pat on her hand.

Daya woke up with a jolt and took her hand away. But seeing his face, the girl visibly relaxed.

“Don’t you think you look a bit too comfortable?”

Daya blinked at him in confusion.

“I mean this is your subordinate’s house. Not to mention that the subordinate is your fiancé’s friend.”

The bite in his tone made her sit up straight.

“Why do you speak like it’s my fault that I’m forced to marry someone that I don’t have feelings for at all?”

His jaws clenched behind the straight-lipped smile he gave.

“Because that moron Jongin’s head over heels for a girl who thinks it’s fun to tag behind me the entire time. Because I feel bad for that kid who thinks he’ll live happily ever after with you.”

Because I can’t do anything to stop you from marrying him.

“Is Kim Jongin all you think about?”

Daya asked back, her voice now trembling hopelessly. “I… I care so much about you… I’m worried how you’ll cope after getting in a bad mood early in the morning… and I care much more about you than you know… But all you are concerned about is him? Kim Jongin? Is he the only reason you’ve helped me all this time as well?”

Heaving a sigh, Baekhyun sat on the coffee table in front of her, and ran a hand through his hair.

“You like me. Don’t you Miss Jo?”

A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Do you even have the slightest idea about what you’re doing? You’re grown up enough to not just follow your heart and think rationally. Aren’t you?”

“Then- then what about you Byun Baekhyun?” she found her voice after a brief silence. “Don’t you feel anything for me? Nothing at all? Then what about the day you took me to a book cafe? What about that day in the dancing academy?”

“Look here Daya.” He leaned forward, dropping his voice into a warning tone. “I’ve witnessed this before. Between my friends. A close hyung of mine chose love over friendship once and it just… it caused an absolute mess okay? We’ve gone through this once. And I don’t want it to happen again, and I don’t want it to happen between me and Jongin this time.”

“So you accept that you have feelings for me?”

baekhyun lowered his head and muttered under his breath which sounded very much like a curse.

Her eyes turned from helplessness to an endearing gentleness. “Then how can you ask me to force myself on him?”

He was caught off guard a moment ago, but now he was once again furious.

With himself.

“Weren’t you listening at all? I just said that there’s no way I’m choosing you over Jongin!” he stood up, raking his hair and gripping it with enraged fingers. “And next you’ll ask how can I let go of you if I also have feelings. What are you imagining Jo Daya? Do you by any chance think that you’re the first girl I’ve had a simple crush on? Do you think that you’re the first and last girl I’d have a fling with? Were you expecting me to put our years of friendship aside and tell Jongin that I also like his girl, his future wife to be exact?”

He was too busy making himself the bad guy she would detest, and didn’t notice the eyes filled with tears and widened in disbelief.

“I’m sorry Baekhyun-ssi.”

That wasn’t the answer he was expecting, and he wasn’t ready for her tears.

“I thought… it’s the first time for me. The first time I’ve opened up myself to a guy I liked. The first time I had let anyone touch me. You know how I hate it but I still let you because I wanted you to do it.”

He was trying his best to follow the lump in his throat, and nearly gave himself away when she reached for his hand.

“See?” she looked up at him and blinked away her tears, holding his hand. “You think I’ve never wanted to do this with a guy before? Before I met you? Of course I did. But you’re the only person I’ve allowed myself be with. And when you said you would help me, I thought it was not only because you’re Kim Jongin’s friend. I thought you also wanted to be with me.”

And she released his hand, leaving him with such a void that he almost reached back for it.

“I’m sorry… I’m too naïve for your taste.” She gave a bitter smile, and wiped her cheek with her palm. “I won’t bother you again with my stupid confessions. I- I thought the interest you showed in me was something serious.”

Clenching his jaws so hard that it was giving him a headache, Baekhyun took his phone out of his pocket. And he redialed a number without meeting her eyes. “Noona, can I drop by-”

There was a long silence as he stood listening to Tiffany’s explanation, and her loud voice and wailing made it even possible for Daya to hear her string of apologies.

“It’s okay noona. I’ll take care of it.” He muttered before ending the call and heading towards his bedroom.

“What did she say?” Daya called after him, only to be ignored as he disappeared into his room. She rushed to the entrance of his room.

He was gathering all the strewn clothes and stuffing them into any cupboard and every cupboard he could open. And soon he dragged off the bed linen and started struggling to put on a new sheet.

“Can’t unnie take me in?”

“Her mom is sick. She’s going to Namhae so you will sleep here.” He replied. Not bothering to raise his head as he changed the pillow cases.

“What about you then?”

He finally straightened up, and made his way to the girl. “Get changed and go to bed. You have your clothes and toiletries with you, right?”

A loud growl emanated from her stomach, reddening the girl’s face and revealing how hungry she was. It was only then that Baekhyun realized how busy he had been fighting against his own thoughts, busy enough to skip their lunch as well.

“I’ll order something. You can take a shower till then.”

“It’s alright Baekhyun-ss

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter