Gentleman

TWIN ROSES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn’t take even a single second for a slight smile to run across Baekhyun’s face. He saw her eyes running down to his chest, where his company ID was hanging, and she read the words “Assistant Manager” on it.

“Anyeonghaseyo, Miss Jo. I’m Byun Baekhyun, the assistant manager of your team.”

He decided to introduce himself first, without taking the awkward vibe further on his very first day at work. And the young team manager nodded with a pleasant smile in acknowledgment, which led the rest of the team members also to introduce themselves to their new boss.

“As you might already know, I’m still a freshman in college, although I got this position in the company because they merely wanted me to join this as soon as possible. And you all know we’re called ‘Project Planning Team 2’, because there is already one team doing the job for the company, but they still established our team because they needed fresh and new ideas for further development of the business.”

Everyone listened to Daya attentively, since her eloquent speaking style was pleasant, professional and captivating, despite her inexperienced self and young age.

“So I hope you all will help me to make a place for our team in this company, and I hope you will correct any mistake I make, since you all are experienced and educated in this field than me.” She flashed a smile at every one of them. “Let’s show them what this new team can do.”

 

 

“She’s nice, I like that attitude.” Tiffany said, as the team left their manager to talk with the senior Han Jihye and walked back to their own office. Donghae nodded, standing in front of the table assigned for him, gleaming with new furniture and a new desktop, and the empty table waiting to be filled with work. “I was looking forward to a spoilt rich brat, when they said it’s the chairman’s daughter. But this one looks quite different.” He said. “And bearable.”

“And pretty.” Taeyong added with an ear-to-ear grin. “If only I hadn’t devoted my life for Yoona noona, I’d be already falling for her.”

“Who’s Yoona noona?” Tiffany asked with an amused smile. “Is our youngest dating a noona? Hmm...interesting!”

 

The youngest face palmed as he sat at his new table. “Now don’t tell me you don’t know the super famous Im Yoona! I’m talking about her sunbae! Not my girlfriend. No girlfriend can take the place that Yoona has in my heart.” He sighed dreamily.

“How old is this one actually to be fanboying over idols...?” Donghae muttered, raising an eyebrow at him. “Oh by the way Baekhyun-ssi, have you met Jo Daya before? It looked like you two knew each other from earlier.” He turned to Baekhyun with a question.

“Ah, that...” Baekhyun smiled casually, switching on his desktop. “I just happened to see her at the beach yesterday and that might be the reason she remembered me... nothing else. We didn’t even know each other’s names at that time. Just came up with a small situation where I helped her a bit.” He explained.

“Ooo...” Kibum spoke up from the table next to Baekhyun. “Anyhow it’s good to have the manager in good terms since you’re the assistant manager. And have you guys heard? She maybe a first year in university, but I heard that she was homeschooled for business management since teenage!” he added in a loud whisper.

“Seriously?” Taeyong asked in awe. “Woah... I didn’t know they homeschooled kids on such subjects.”

“Chebol families... not ordinary indeed.” Donghae added another comment from behind his computer screen.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“Since it’s our first day at work, how about having lunch together Miss Jo?” Kibum suggested, as the new team walked towards the elevators heading to the meeting they were to be attending. “Will... Miss Jo be okay eating with us?” Donghae asked before the team leader could answer, knowing that the heiress of a conglomerate family would never step down to their social level. “It’d be uncomfortable to her I guess.”

 

“It’s alright.” Daya stopped walking and turned back with a smile. “Of course I should hang out with you guys to get to know you better. So a meal would be the best way!”

 

“I’ll make a reservation then!” Taeyong said, almost jumping with joy. Meanwhile Baekhyun took a few steps forward and pressed the button of an elevator.

 

Once the elevator arrived at their floor, everyone got in, making the small space even more crowded, as there were already about five people inside.

Baekhyun saw Daya’s face visibly change as she stepped into the crowd, and she quickly cornered herself, trying her best not to mix in with the small crowd.

He pretended not to see, and stood right next to her in silence.

 

Maybe she’s uncomfortable about being bumped into men. That’s natural for any girl.

 

The next floor made the elevator fill up to the maximum number of people allowed, making Kibum and Taeyong squash against each other at one wall, and making Tiffany step on Donghae’s shoe with her chunky heels at the wall opposite. Two staff members from an unknown department were pressed against Baekhyun’s shoulder and back, making him automatically get pushed in Daya’s way.

 

“What’s this? Is this the only elevator the building has?” Donghae asked aloud in an annoyed voice, the sting caused by Tiffany’s heel still at his toes. “The thing is that no one wants to be late at the planning meeting. It can’t be helped when the meeting time comes.” An older lady standing near the door explained.

 

Daya wasn’t listening, but was staring at the man standing next to her. Just when she thought she was going to be squashed under him when two people pushed against him at once, he had managed to prop his arm against the wall and stand straight, making sure he was both covering her from the crowd and standing while keeping a distance of a good two inches between them.

She stared at him, as he wasn’t looking down at her but was staring straight ahead at the elevator wall, as if the force wasn’t making it difficult for him to stand straight at all. Once the floor number of their destination appeared on the screen, he looked down at her with a smile. “Let’s get off, Miss Jo,”

 

 

Maybe Baekhyun was imagining things, but even during the meeting, he noticed how Jo Daya avoided every possible physical contact she had encountered. Even when it came to being introduced to the executives at the meeting, she preferred bowing in the traditional manner as the greeting even when they held out their hands. He saw some of their faces turning sour thinking she was being purely rude and arrogant, avoiding shaking hands.

Yet he felt it was something other than that.

 

 

While they were heading back to their own department, a voice echoed through the hallway, making the whole team come to a stop. “Daya-yah!!!”

 

Daya turned around, making the rest of her team members copy her, and her face lit up with the brightest smile they had seen that day. “Yunho oppa!”

A tall strapping man in his early thirties, dressed in casual all-white attire which contained a white sweater and white ripped jeans strode up to her, flashing her a fatherly smile. “What brings you here oppa?” Daya asked, not noticing the girl who had appeared behind him, and standing a few feet away.

“Heard it’s your first day at work.” Yunho spoke, looking at her team. “You people must be our Daya’s team. Hope you will take good care of my little cousin.” He said, flashing them a smile. The team bowed back, and he turned to his cousin again. “I was escorting Victoria here.” he stepped aside revealing the young woman standing behind him. “You know her right?”

“Oh, I had heard of her, but it’s my first time seeing her.” Daya said, bowing with a polite smile.

The young woman who was clad in navy blue business attire, stepped forward with a wide smile, and without any warning, pulled the girl into a hug. “We’ll be becoming relations soon... so let’s just drop all these formalities.” She pulled away from the sudden hug and peeked into Daya’s face. “My dad’s company is doing the interior of the new department complex in this building. That’s why I’m here today. I hope we’ll be seeing each other often sweetie.”

 

Baekhyun saw everything. He saw how Daya’s breath hitched midway when she was pulled into the hug, how opened in shock and how her arms went rigid under Victoria’s hold, and how Yunho was shocked and almost stepped forward to pull them apart.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter