Wrong Door

Hello, Neighbour

My first day in Seoul involved wrestling with boxes of my personal belongings and what seemed to be hundreds of meters of bubble wrap. This being my second overseas posting, I must say that my packing and unpacking skills have significantly improved. As I was about to go to bed, I hear the incessant beeping of the automatic door lock. Somebody is tapping on the keypad and keying-in the wrong password. 'How can anybody just come into the building without security noticing?' I think to myself.

 

I pick-up the intercom and try to call the security officer at the lobby to come and help. 'Please come up to the 16th floor, somebody is trying to open my door, ' I said to the person on the other line. But he cannot understand me. 'Great, my first night in Seoul and I already have to deal with an intruder.' I guess I’ll have to have to put my self-defense training into actual practice. I grabbed an umbrella and went to the door. The dip is still trying to key-in passwords. I cannot see anything from the peephole so I made a mental note to run to the emergency exit, just in case the intruder turned out to be bigger than my 5'8 frame. As I opened the door, I immediately gave the person a kick to his stomach.

 

He gave out a loud, 'UGHHH!' and dropped like a sack right there at my entrance foyer. He was mumbling something and was visibly drunk. The tall guy had dyed hair, some sort of orangey brown, and was wearing jeans, a denim jacket over a white tshirt, and what seems to be really expensive Balenciaga sneakers. He's probably not there to loot my apartment as obviously his sneakers cost a fortune.

 

As I stand there trying to figure out what to do, the drunk guy started removing his shoes and his jacket. He was mumbling something in Korean. I tried waking him up but he seems to be out of it. Okay, now I have to deal with a stranger undressing himself inside my apartment.

 

I quickly pressed the elevator keys and went down to the lobby. I grabbed the guard as I was shouting 'help' in Korean repeatedly, at least that I remembered from my language class. As we reach my apartment, the drunk guy already managed to reach my sofa and was already dozing-off shirtless. How he was able to swim to my living room, I'm not sure. As the guard took a closer look, he gave a loud gasp and muttered, 'aigooo, seunghoonssi!'

 

The guard turned to me and said in broken english, 'sorry, sorry. i call manager.' He went to the intercom and called somebody. After a few minutes, I hear the elevator door opening and two tall guys appeared. The first guy had black hair and a really small face and the other one had dyed hair that looks like a california apple. He also has the same clear skin and lips that could give Angelina Jolie a run for her money.

 

'Snap out of it,' I mentally scold myself. They may look like models straight out of a fashion editorial but they do not have the right to just come barging into other people's apartments.

 

The guy with the red hair started speaking in English, 'I am really sorry for this. We live in the unit that is directly above yours. He probably pressed the wrong floor and thought he was coming in to our apartment.'

 

'Okay, now I understand. I hope this doesn't happen again though. Can you please take him now and all these,' while pointing at the drunk guy's clothes strewn all over my living room.

 

'Again, I'm sorry about this. My name is Kang Seung Yoon, and you can call me Yoon. Are you a new tenant here? I recall that it was an American family that stayed in this unit before.' This is obviously not the first time that he collected his housemate from this unit, I thought to myself.

 

'Yes, I'm new here. I have actually just moved-in this morning so imagine how terrified I am of this.' I told the person. He seemed to be truly apologetic about it.

'Again, I'm very sorry about this. We won't bother you any longer. Good night.' Yoon said.

 

'No problem. Oh, and please tell your friend that I'm sorry if he bruises tomorrow. I kicked him a bit strongly during the commotion earlier.' I say sheepishly.

 

Yoon let out a slight chuckle and said, 'Don't worry about it, it's his fault anyway. Good night.'