Discovery

Asteria: Dragon Mirror

Sehun stumbled, his knees buckling. Black spots danced on the edges of his vision and he felt faint. Putting out his hand, he grasped a tree branch, leaning against the trunk of the tree in an effort to steady his breathing. There was a rustle in the undergrowth and he spooked, releasing the tree branch as he whipped his head around to see. 

 

A doe peeked her head out at him curiously. She took a bumbling step forward when Sehun did not move, and another until she was pressing her head against his thigh. Sehun hardly dared to breathe as the doe nuzzled him, nudging and at his hand curiously.  

 

She was beautiful, her fur completely silver and satiny to the touch. Her ears flicked intelligently as he dared to her cheek, her fur like satin beneath his fingertips.  

 

There was a soft chirping and they both looked up to see a blue bird looking down at them inquisitively. Hesitantly, Sehun held out his hand. He had to be far from his castle. No creatures ever seemed to live in the part of the forest closest to his home, perhaps due to his stepmother's dark magic steeping into every nook and crevice of the area. 

 

But out here, the wildlife seemed to thrive. The bluebird hopped down from the branch it was perched upon and settled itself onto Sehun's shoulder, chirping happily. It nuzzled its cheek against the prince's neck and he laughed, its tiny head gently.  

 

The doe butted at his hand, eager for his attention and soon, they were joined by a fluffy gray rabbit peeking shyly from around a nearby tree trunk.  

 

Sehun took a couple of steps forward, the animals clinging to him with every step before he sat down against the tree, content to scratch the doe's head and pet the rabbit that had hopped into his lap for a nap. The bluebird seemed to have fallen asleep as well, dozing off on his shoulder. 

 

There was a soft hissing sound and a snake with iridescent scales slithered up to them. Sehun tensed, fearing that it wished to make a meal out of the bunny in his lap but the serpent seemed content to just curl up at his feet, fluttering the tiny wings that Sehun had just now noticed. 

 

All was good and peaceful until a loud crashing in the undergrowth startled them. The rabbit hopped off his lap and the doe pulled back, eyes wide and startled. Sehun rose to his feet, hand going to the hand mirror in his pocket.  

 

He backed away slowly, until his back was clear of the tree before he bolted, sprinting deeper and deeper into the forest. The animals chased after him, the bluebird chirping worriedly overhead as it flew. The doe caught up with him quickly, clamping its teeth down upon his shirt.  

 

A sharp tug caught his attention and Sehun stopped, panting. His chest heaved as he tried to catch his breath and sweat was dripping down his body, soaking his shirt. 

 

The snake slithered up to him, coiling itself around his wrist when he went to pick it up, along with the rabbit that had lagged behind. 

 

When he tried to go forward however, the doe pulled him back, shaking her head viciously.  

 

"What is it?" Sehun thought he was going crazy but the doe looked him in the eye and bleated.  

 

Danger

 

"You've got to be kidding me." The prince laughed. He could have sworn that the doe had just spoken to him and he had understood it. 

 

He was preparing to change his direction when a large hand clamped around his mouth and then there was a blade against his throat.  

 

"Don't move. Give me whatever that's in your pocket or I will slit your throat and let the vampire wolves drink your blood." Sehun's blood ran cold and he swallowed, Adam's apple bobbing against the blade of the knife. The animals had scattered, except for the silver snake still coiled around his wrist like a bracelet.  

 

It was remaining remarkably still even as Sehun pulled out the hand mirror, placing it into the man's rough palm.  

 

"Take him with us." Another voice spoke from Sehun's right and he turned his head to see six other men, all burly and muscled, carrying pickaxes step from behind the trees. He cursed himself for not listening to the doe.  

 

A rough hand grasped his jaw and he cried out in pain when the man pressed the knife to his collarbone. A wad of cloth was shoved roughly into his mouth. He squirmed, protesting soundly behind the gag as cloth was pulled over his mouth, effectively gagging him. His tongue was pinned to the bottom of his mouth and he could only breathe through his nose harshly as his wrists were tugged behind him and bound skilfully with thick rope. Thankfully, the snake had slithered up his arm and was now hidden in his shirtsleeve. He shuddered to think what the men would do to it if it were found. 

 

"Mmmph." Sehun groaned in pain when the man hefted him and bodily heaved him onto his shoulder. His stomach was pressing right against the man's bulky shoulder and it was hurting him. He squirmed helplessly as he was carried out like a sack of potatoes on the man's shoulder.