Agreement Over Dinner

Prologue

Park Kyung Il’s residence is always empty, there is never more than 10 maids and security guard for the 10-hectare property. A tomb is merrier to compare.

 

It was like it is since Jinyoung’s grandmother died.

 

Jinyoung is not really close with his grandfather, he’s always busy. On the contrary, his grandmother was his favorite. Jinyoung spent a lot of his kindergarten phase playing in the said residence with his grandmother, from running around the courtyard or just reading books together. It’s not a very strange and foreign place for Jinyoung, it just, is not really fun to visit the house for the past six years anymore.

 

The meeting takes place in the grand meeting room. The room is designed in contemporary style, with two sets of sofas on each end, a Swarovski’s chandelier in the middle of the room, two big vases, and the two-meter-tall family portrait on the blank wall facing north. 

 

Not much to see, the main personality is not yet in the room anyway.

 

“Seems you’ve been busy, Jinyoung,” a friendly smile.

 

That is Jinyoung’s only cousin, Park Minwoo, the son of Park Jungshin. He’s one year younger than Jinyoung but could pass as Jinyoung’s uncle anytime now. He’s tall build, hard rock, and maintains a manly beard. He’s been working in the company at the Medical Subdisiary as Vice President for three years, with a degree in Business Management.

 

“Yeah, foreign companies are now finding out about my company,” Jinyoung smiles back, sincerely.

 

Casual talks turn envious conversations – those are things that always happen in family meetings. His cousin doesn’t like the kind of lifestyle Jinyoung pursues. You can’t be a successful chaebol with your own company, you have to work within the family business – the only norm of the society Jinyoung will never understand. And his only cousin always got in that kind of conversation with him. That he’s ruining the family business, jeopardizing the third in the line of the Park's family, moreover confusing the society.

 

Nonsense.

 

Jinyoung never really care about what anyone said. His father and mother support him and that’s enough to continue on in life.

 

“Gather,” the sound of a higher power.

 

Grandfather is here.

 

Not much about grandfather physically. He’s not as fit as he was 12 years ago when he stepped down from the business and became chairman. His hair has thinned greatly, his eyes are smaller, all of his skin are all wrinkles, and the weak knees. He’s not as great physically, but not his brain. Decisions and forecasts are still made as excellent as before.

 

“Thank you for coming,” Grandfather speaks as he sits down. “I don’t intend to prolong today’s meeting. I don’t feel great anyway.”

 

Indeed, he doesn’t look great.

 

“We all know PK Holdings in need of CEO, since my son, Park Jungshin is physically not fit and need more rest than working,” – glances to his right – “ with that, I would like both of my grandsons to compete for the CEO’s position.”

 

A joke, it has to be a joke.

 

Jinyoung looks straight to Grandfather to find a hint of joke on his face. A smirk will do, yet nothing. The room is silent, Minwoo is definitely shocked by the statement, he keeps looking at his father and Grandfather alternately.

 

Jinyoung wants to state his opinion when Minwoo talks first.

 

“Why should we compete, Harabeoji? Father and Hyoshin samchoon didn’t have to compete before?”

 

“It’s true,” Grandfather speaks, “It’s different before. Both of you has the same chances since I see potentials in both you.”

 

You got to be kidding me, Jinyoung curses inside.

 

“What?” Minwoo shows more emotion. “Jinyoung and I can’t be compared. I’m better.”

 

If Jinyoung knows nothing better, he’ll laugh and start a fight here and now. His cousin definitely smoked weed on the way here.

 

“I’ve been working at the company for a long time, Harabeoji.” – which wasn’t something to boost about – “And I’m married.”

 

“What?” this is Jinyoung’s first word.

 

“Yes,” Minwoo looks at Jinyoung. “I know this company better than Jinyoung. And not only that, I can manage my life and my family while doing my job.

 

“You can have an unmarried CEO – it won’t be good for the company’s image.”

 

Jinyoung stands up unknowingly and ready to scream back at his cousin, but got interrupted.

 

“You have a point,” Grandfather looks at Minwoo.

 

A big smiles creep on Minwoo’s face. 

 

Disgusting.

 

“Then let’s have Jinyoung get married in a month.”

 

“What?” the second word from Jinyoung.

 

The family meeting is always uninteresting, formal, and tiring. Today, Jinyoung finds out his family meeting can also be a joke.

 

“I agree with Minwoo,” Grandfather continues. “We can’t have an unmarried CEO. It doesn’t suit the company’s image and spirit. So, before the competition starts, I would like Jinyoung to get married. I give you a month.”

 

There’s no hint of joke on his grandfather’s face, just a trace of tiredness and very clear wrinkles. Minwoo keeps silence the rest of the meeting, he must have a hard time to understand what his grandfather wants. Not.a.word.

 

“I understand, Harabeoji.” Jinyoung answers clearly.

 

Maybe because of his pride, maybe because his cousin is a pain in the , and maybe, just maybe, because of his father’s smile every time he shared his day at work that makes Jinyoung approve of this crazy scheme.

 

“Good, good.” Grandfather nods, showing his first smile of the day. “Then let’s meet in a month, if you’re not married by then, Minwoo will take the CEO’s position.”

 

Grandfather stands up, takes his staff and walks back to the door.

 

The whole room feels like an empty gymnasium. Not to mention the cold atmosphere from the air conditioner.

 

“I’ll be home then, samchoon, Minwoo,” Jinyoung bows.

 

Jinyoung walks to the door in the middle, unsure and nervous. And when he was about to open the door, an unfriendly call pushes him to turn his back.

 

“You won’t get this, Jinyoung. I’ll make sure of it.”

 


 

If not for his father, Jinyoung will never agree to this requisite, such a stupid decision, for a CEO like himself.

 

“We can just find a woman to marry you. Or pay someone to marry you.”

 

“It’s not that simple.”

 

A day after the family meeting, Jinyoung asks Wonpil to meet him and tells him everything that happened and being said at the meeting.

 

“How could it not be simple?” Wonpil exasperated. “You’re a very on-demand bachelor right now.”

 

The thing about marriage, it hasn’t cross Jinyoung’s mind to this day. Planning a marriage sure isn’t an easy task.

 

“I can’t just marry anybody. The family won’t believe it.”

 

“So, no e.”

 

Jinyoung eyes Wonpil judgingly, “don’t you dare use that word.”

 

“If I want to make this work, I have to marry someone that won’t make a scene,” Jinyoung tries to explain. “She can’t be some girls I met, it will be hard to make everyone believes about this marriage. She also needs to understand that this is a temporary marriage. So, a fan of mine also won’t do.

 

“She has to be independent, in the same social class of me, can behave in this business, and clearly doesn’t need my money.”

 

“Damn,” Wonpil sighs. “You’re looking for someone just like you, huh?”

 

Someone like me?

 

“Jinyoung, if you really want to earn th –“

 

Wonpil cut to a rush Jinyoung.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

Jinyoung is already standing up with his jacket on his hand, he heads to the door.

 

“I’m going to earn my CEO’s position.”

 


 

Jisoo hasn’t finished today’s target when her mother called her. She has another son to introduce to Jisoo, the third one this year.

 

“No, Eomma,” Jisoo sighs. “I’m not marrying anyone this year.”

 

The call turns sour and ends as Jisoo throws herself to the couch. Her mood goes bad, like all that time her mother calls her for a marriage discussion.

 

Jisoo has been busy all year. She has three booked runway, a possibility of a solo runway for her fall collection, and twenty-something personal orders. Busy is an understatement.

 

Jisoo would like to stay longer at the office, but feeling her bad mood, she decides to sleep the night early. Or so Jisoo thought.

 

The pedestrian path is not dark, rather it’s bright and feels safe. The familiar pedestrian seems a bit awkward tonight, there’s someone Jisoo knows standing there, perfectly like she always remembers.

 

“Jinyoung-ssi?”

 

The first thing Jisoo can do is confirming herself that she isn’t seeing a ghost. Meeting the young heir has never been very smooth for her and tonight is no exception.

 

“Yes, Jisoo-ssi. How are you?”

 

Not even a smile. Jisoo tries hard to work her brain out on what possibility this awkward meeting could occur.

 

“I’m good,” Jisoo smiles. “Are you looking for something?”

 

“Yes,” Jinyoung still stands with both hands in his pockets. “I’m looking for you.”

 

How to describe Park Jinyoung? Jisoo never met anyone as unreadable as Park Jinyoung in her entire life. He isn’t unfriendly, his face is warm and easy to look at, his words never poetry, a clear statement every time he talks, and a perfect posture, intimidating in a word. It’s the third time Jisoo meets him, he still very much scares her.

 

“Me?” Jisoo keeps her distance. “Why?”

 

“I have a business proposal,” Jinyoung walks closer. “I would like to have dinner with you to talk about this.”

 

A perfect suit. Jisoo looks up and down at Jinyoung, he doesn’t look drunk, to begin with, and he properly dressed. What kind of business proposal?

 

“It’s a little late, will it be okay if we have this meeting tomorrow?”

 

“I can’t, it has to be tonight.”

 

If Jisoo doesn’t know better, she will decline and go home. But Jinyoung saved her life before and she didn’t even pay him back at that time. For the sake of that night, Jisoo gives in.

 


 

The dinner takes place in a very fancy restaurant that has a private dining room. The one chaebols like to go to. He seems to know the owner because he doesn’t make a reservation yet the waiters prepare the private room, or maybe just because he looks handsome.

 

It takes less than five minutes for Jinyoung to choose the menu, thanks to Jisoo’s decision of saying yes to any of Jinyoung’s recommendation: white wine, grilled scallop, braised duck, and a chocolate cake.

 

“About the proposal,” Jisoo nerves herself. “Is it related to my clothing line?”

 

Jinyoung looks back at the same-age-heiress. She clearly doesn’t age badly. She’s not as innocent looking like nine years ago, but she doesn’t look like she’s in her thirties. Her hair is dark now, maybe she’s over the hair coloring phase, in one word she’s beautiful. A very rare heiress. Unmarried heiress.

 

“Not quite,” Jinyoung leans forward. “I’m issuing a marriage proposal.”

 

Different person, a different way of reacting, and that are what happens to Jisoo and Jinyoung. Jisoo misses a beat or two to breathe, she feels more uncertain than ever in her seat. While Jinyoung, collectively, just looks straight at Jisoo, being serious and sure about each word.

 

“It’s not as confusing as it sounds, Jisoo-ssi,” Jinyoung exhales. “Hear my reason first.”

 

Jinyoung explains about his father, the state of the company after his father died, his uncle, and last the meeting. No lies, no added ingredients, just the simple truth.

 

“I can’t just marry anyone, my family won’t believe it, and I don’t want to hurt my mom’s feeling.” Jinyoung sighs. “You’re the only candidate I can think of. You don’t need a husband, you’re an independent businesswoman, our social class match perfectly, you know how this society works, and you don’t need my money.

 

“You’re perfect.”

 

What a compliment.

 

“And what’s in it for me?” Jisoo keeps her face unreadable and composes her chin up. “If this is a business proposal, I need to earn a benefit.”

 

“Very well said,” Jinyoung shows a slight smile. A rare sight to Jisoo.

 

“If what you said two years ago still apply, I can make your parents stop worrying about you for being single. I’m the perfect escape card.”

 

It’s true.

 

Jisoo hates Jinyoung’s pride. His calm demeanor shows nothing but confidence, yet, Jisoo feels weak.

 

“You’re crazy,” Jisoo snaps.

 

“I am,” Jinyoung answers back. “But I’m serious about this. I don’t intend to take advantage out of you. That includes physical and mental. I won’t touch you out of your consent, I won’t ask you to smile, if it isn’t for the public, I won’t ask for anything.

 

“You don’t need to give me anything, you don’t have to make me happy. I just need you to marry me. Have the wedding and that’s it. We might have to stay in the same house, but I have a big apartment that is good for this plan. We might have to attend for a few occasions, I promise you to finance any needs. It’s a charade.

 

“A year is enough. A year and we don’t have to continue the bull.”

 

This kind of scenario happens only in books, the kind of books Jisoo rarely read. But she can’t help to notice the sick society she’s been living is full of deception like this. Arranged marriages are more common than K-Pop comebacks if that’s an apple to apple comparison.

 

“You can take your time,” Jinyoung continues. “Though I need your answer by the end of this week.”

 

The empty glass of wine with lips stain suddenly interest Jisoo for the night.

 

“I’ll give you the written proposal tomorrow through your concierge.”

 

Jinyoung stands up and straightens his suit.

 

“Here’s my contact, I’ll be waiting.”

 


 

Bull.

 

He calls his plan bull.

 

I’m thinking about this bull.

 

No matter how Jisoo sees the whole plan, she is more than sure there’s no benefit she can really take. But Jinyoung’s firm words resonate through Jisoo’s mind and that is something she doesn’t feel on a daily basis.

 

She’s not dating anyone in the present time – not that she dated anyone for the past 7 years, so she’s actually free enough to agree on the bull. She can say yes and be free from the marriage topic. But, is it only that?

 

“Such a waste of daughter you have. Unmarried and still busy with work.”

 

Her mother’s phone calls are harmless compared to the devilish comment by her mother’s friend. Jisoo is never sorry for being successful and unmarried, she can say she takes the full joy out of it. But, it bothers her every time her mother calls and the horrible memory pops in her head. Can this be her way out?

 

“You.Are.Not.Saying.Yes.” Seulgi snaps Jisoo out of her thoughts.

 

After the weird dinner – weird is much better than scary – Jisoo called Seulgi late at night and told Seulgi every single detail. Including the first time she met Jinyoung, and the second time at the club.

 

“That guy is crazy and clearly taking advantage of you,” Seulgi furies.

 

“He seems like he really needs my help,” Jisoo pouts.

 

“He can find some other ,” again, Seulgi snaps.

 

Ouch.

 

Jisoo always comes at Seulgi for everything. After working together in the same company, Seulgi and Jisoo find each company more valuable and important than before. Things like this should and must go through Seulgi before anyone.

 

“How dare he come at you and ask you for a marriage like he’s asking you for a nightgown. Crazy.”

 

“He did say he came for a business proposal,” Jisoo tilts her head a little.

 

“Why are you defending him?” Seulgi opens her eyes even wider at Jisoo. Her best friend definitely had issues.

 

“Do you like him?”

 

Jisoo startles at the question. She sits accordingly and says, “Of course not.”

 

What kind of like is Seulgi talking about? Jisoo can be sure in one thing, nothing romantic ever happened between her and Jinyoung. Not even a slight crush.

 

“It has nothing to do with my feeling, Sseul,” Jisoo calms herself and Seulgi. “I think it’s harmless. I can help him out with his problem, I can give my parent some assurance they’ve been looking for. It’s a win-win.”

 

“That’s not enough of a reason to say yes,” Seulgi replies still in her angry mode. “Are you really going with this crazy scheme?”

 

Bull, that’s what we’re going to sign.

 

“You’re going to regret this, Jisoo” Seulgi response weakly to Jisoo’s silence. “It’s a disaster in the making.”

 

Yes, indeed.

 


 

 

 

I'm back and very glad that people coming in and commenting. Thank you very much.
I know this chapter takes longer than before, but I would like to assure everyone that I'm not neglecting this story.

I hope everyone had a great day ahead :)