Chapter 1

Cat Troubles

Texas just had moved to the new town. The neighbourhood was small, but the people there seemed to be really nice.

What caught his eye though, when a little black and white cat had jumped just past his feet and a girl tried to catch it, but ended up face planting in to the floor, right in front of Texas’ feet.
“You okay there, bud…?” The tall male asked, as he took a step back and crouched down to look a better look at the young female who just ended up eating .

Texas was pretty tall, standing at 192cm tall, dark hair, piercings and tattoos, all in all he looked like a punk rocker to a normal person. Even though Texas lead a simple life of being a uni student and a club bouncer.

 

The girl sat up and ran a hand over her face, “Yea. I’m trying to catch that damn cat.” She said looking over her hands to make sure they weren’t bleeding.

This made Texas raise an eyebrow as he looked over and saw that black and white cat sitting there, cleaning it’s paw like it had 0 care in the world.

“Why is that?” This made Texas question as he still kept looking at the cat.

“Oh, you haven’t heard?” The girl said, “It is said that whoever gets to catch the cat and get the key they will get to marry one of the hottest guys in this town.” The girl said as she finally stood up and dusted herself down, turning her attention to the cat, she tried to approach it again so she could catch it.

“Huh…” Texas hummed as he watched the scene unfold where the cat made a run for it again and was chased by the girl.

 

That evening Texas had settled down in his new home and went out on the porch, it was a nice warm summer evening, so he just chilled on a woven sofa bench, with a pair of joggers and a white tee. A book in his hands, Stephen King the Pet Semetary, and a lit cigarette in his other hand.

Biting down on one of his spider bites, Texas read over the book. Until he felt something jump on his stomach.

Moving the book down and laying it face down, on his chest, Texas saw the same Tuxedo cat that was being chased this morning. Raising a brown, the male put his hand out letting the cat to sniff it.

The key was to befriend the cat, not to try and catch it. Noticing the key on the collar of the cat Texas had recalled the words of the girl. He tried to reach for it, but the cat moved back, ready to hiss.

“Okay buddy, I won’t touch you.” The male said as he went back to just reading his book, he decided he will take some time before winning the cats trust over.

 

This went on for a while, and whenever Texas would be hanging out on the porch after work, or just before work he would be greeted by the same black and white cat.

After about a month, Texas finally got to touch the cat. Its fur was soft, as just as shiny. The cat had leaned in to Texas’ touch first, which the male found fascinating. All these people were after the cat, but here he was petting it, like it was nothing.

That was when the cat leaned in to the hand and nipped it. With its little sharp teeth, which made Texas pull his hand back and frown.

 

Putting its tail up the cat had jumped down and watched Texas to see what the male would do.

Texas watched in confusion, it looked like the little tuxedo wanted him to follow the cat. Texas putting his cigarette out, set the book down and finally got up. His knees clicking in distress for the sudden movement. He followed the cat nonetheless, as it glanced back to see if the male was following.

Upon reaching the end of the street there stood a large house, with lavender growing at the front of the gate.

Confusion graced Texas’ face as he watched the cat run up to the door and sit down by the door, as if it was inviting him inside. Was it though? Or was it his imagination playing tricks on him?

Going up to the black door the male looked around to see if anyone was around, gently knocking on the large wooden door, he waited for a bit, but there was no answer. Until the cat mewed and presented its neck, with the key dangling from the red collar. Texas crouched down and gently took off the key. It surprisingly fit the lock of the door and the door clicked open.

Stepping inside Texas had a look around the place, it felt oddly cosy, as there were plants and just a strong smell of incense, until the door clicked shut and Texas turned around to see what had happened.

There in the doorway stood a boy, with black hair, a white tee, and a red collar decorating its neck. His eyes cat like, looking over Texas,

“Welcome to my humble home.” The boy said as he leaned in the doorway.

Texas stood there stunned. “Y-you’re the cat?”? He stuttered a little but cleared his throat, “I mean, I’m Texas.” He said introducing himself to the smaller boy.

“Oh, I know who you are,” Came the reply, “I’m Felix, and looks like you caught the cat.” The boy said with a smile.

The thing that nobody knew was, that Felix was a shapeshifter and Texas had befriended the ‘cat’.