Waiting Wednesdays

Waiting Wednesdays

The strong smell of coffee didn't distract Yerin from her main objective going into the cafe.  She looked at the barista behind the counter, multitasking between taking orders, collecting payment and making coffee.  It might be a hectic day for the poor barista but it was a perfect day for Yerin. She had everything calculated in her mind and waited to be executed precisely.

 

But, she couldn't.  Because some stranger was observant enough to know her plan and perhaps would be very happy to interfere with it.

 

"I'm pretty sure he won't appreciate you disturbing him at this peak hour."  A voice, a very nice voice spoke from behind her.

 

She turned around to see a man, face mischievous but eyes as bright as the star.  He must be about her age. He dressed smartly with his crisp shirt and pants and a matching necktie, ready to begin his third working weekday.  She wanted to steal a look at the card hanging from a lanyard around his neck. But the other side was facing the front and she missed the chance of seeing the name of the handsome stranger.

 

"What do you mean?" she asked, feeling a little bit exposed but not even a little bit nervous her plan was now busted.

 

"Come on…" he laughed, his voice was a jingle in the din morning cafe.  "I saw you eyed the barista like he's a meal," he said. "Pretty sure he's busy right now since he's alone handling everything this peak morning."

 

"Right.  You often make a habit meddling into people's business?" Yerin asked, all joking and bantering.

 

"I tried not to.  But, you're obvious," he replied.

 

Yerin smirked.  He was right. She was obvious.  But that was because she wanted to be obvious.  Yerin was known among her acquaintances to be quite a flirt.  When she wanted something, or in this case, someone, she would make the world knew about it.

 

"Well.  Obvious is good, isn't it?" Yerin smirked.

 

The guy feigned thinking, holding his chin with his thumb and pointing finger.  "Right. I did make it obvious when I first wanted to introduce myself to my girlfriend."  He mirrored her smirk.

 

"Aha.  Somebody did actually like it."

 

The person who queued in front of her went to the pickup station after his order was taken.  Yerin moved to the counter, put her arm on it and leaned in. She heard the stranger's footstep followed her from the behind and his snort.  She only smirked and rolled her eyes and waited until the barista finished making latte for the grey-haired customer before her.

 

"Good morning.  May I have your order?"

 

Yerin looked at the cute guy behind the counter and then at the nametag he wore neatly on his apron.  "Good morning, Yoseob!" she replied chirpily.

 

The barista blinked, mind was probably too slow as the after effect of smelling to much coffee and taking too many orders.  He didn't seem to appreciate that she was actually making the effort to know his name either.

 

"Good morning.  May I have your order?" Yoseob the barista repeated.

 

But, Yerin persisted.  "It's a weekday morning.  I need something strong to make me last the whole day.  What would you probably suggest for me?" she asked, putting an effort to look like she was in desperate need of comfort.

 

But Yoseob stole a look behind her and saw the long line.  He looked like he was going to break down in tears soon. Yerin was torn between proceeding with her plan and risked Yoseob's annoyance or putting a stop to her current activity and risked a chance of never going to get Yoseob working alone again.

 

"What she means is that she wants you to make a drink you're most comfortable with, the one you would be very happy to make right now, considering the long line," the handsome stranger said.  He was now squeezed beside her in front of the counter. He looked at her and raised his brows in a very "Trust me" kind of way.

 

Yerin caught the signal and turned to look at the barista again and smiled.  "Yes, whatever easy for you. I kinda enjoy every drink that you make," she added.

 

Yoseob finally smiled and actually looked flattered.  He asked, "Cold or hot? Or frappuccino?"

 

"Frappuccino.  I love frappuccino.  It's like you collect the snow and make a drink out of it.  So pure. Don't you think?" she said and she heard the stranger snorted again.

 

But Yoseob smiled and that was enough for Yerin.  The seed was planted and she would one day reap the sow.  "Your name?" asked Yoseob.

 

"Britney," Yerin said and winked at the flustered barista.  "Spears. Hot? Right?" She heard the stranger beside her laughed.

 

"Err...sure," Yoseob replied and quickly wrote the name on the cup, before proceeded with making the coffee.

 

"Really?  Seriously?  Hot Britney?  And what with the snow being so pure?" the stranger asked.

 

"Shut up!" Yerin exclaimed and then laughed at herself.  She rolled her eyes.

 

"Of course.  And I didn't just help you with getting him in the mood.  No need to thank me," he said with a smirk. Yerin crossed her hands in front of her chest.

 

"Well, stranger.  Thank you for your kind advice.  I don't remember asking for one. But, your high capability of making your way into people's life saved my plan.  You will always be in my prayers. Let's hope you are not in the bad ones," she said chirpily and made her way to the pick up counter.

 

Yoseob gave her the specially made vanilla chestnut latte and hesitantly said, "Have a nice day...err...Britney Spears."  He still smiled and Yerin winked, leaving him flushing in red. Then she reciprocated his well wish with "I'll see you around." to which he nodded.

 

When Yoseob walked again to the cash register machine and greeted the stranger, she paused and waited.  He made his order and told Yoseob to write Taeyeon on one cup and Baekhyun on another. Yerin was surprise to find herself happy just by learning the stranger's name.

 

She made her way to the exit, where another cafe's staff was entering.  As she stepped out of the glass door, she made a promise to herself that she will remember the guy named Baekhyun.

 

*****

 

Yerin looked at her watch and then on the track again.  She was hoping the train would showed itself soon. It was minus degree in Celcius and her breath showed everytime she exhaled.  The line was long before her and she had missed a train because it was full and couldn't take in many people from the station.

 

Yerin rubbed her palms against each other and sighed.  She cursed herself for forgetting her gloves and prayed fervently for the train to arrive soon.  And her prayer was answered.

 

She squinted as the train approached the station, light was bright and hurting her eyes.  She was grateful though and feeling hopeful that she would make it onto the train this time.  The doors were opened and it allowed the long lines of people to fill up every blank space in the train.  She was right in front of the door when it was suddenly full again.

 

She stared at the person in front of her, in the train, who also stared back at her with sympathy.  And she suddenly wanted to cry. She was very aware of her presence outside the train, alone, when the others had managed to squeeze their way in.  She knew there would be a few seconds until the doors closed.  So, she did the only thing she could think of. She ran, from door to door, trying to find any space that she could squeeze in.

 

As she approached the final door of the final coach, she lost hope and told herself that it was okay to wait for another train.  But her wrist was grabbed and tugged forcefully and the next she knew was pain at her nose as it crashed onto something hard. She heard a laughter, a very nice one and she opened her eyes, which she wasn't sure when she had closed them.  Yerin saw the station passed by and realised that she was in motion.

 

She was moving.  She was in the train and warm.  Squeezed but very warm. And she was pressed onto someone whose heartbeats calmed her own and she started breathing slowly again, following the rhythm of the stranger's breathing.  Yerin smelled vanilla and she breathed in even deeper, enjoying the scent.

 

"Did you just smell me?  And enjoying it?"

 

Yerin was stunned.  That voice, she recognized that voice.  It had been one month but she could remember it like as if it was only yesterday she heard it.  It could only belong to only one man in this world. And that man was Baekhyun.

 

She heard him laughed again.  Of course, the laughter from Baekhyun.  It was infectious it made her wanted to smile.  But, just like the first time she heard it, she abstained herself from smiling this time too.

 

Yerin lifted up her head and saw a pair of dark brown eyes staring at her.  The owner chuckled and showed his perfect set of teeth. And suddenly she was conscious to the fact that she was still pressed very tightly against him.  She tried to pry away but they were sandwiched between other passengers and the door. So, Yerin gave up on the idea of getting away.

 

She ended up with a very, very lame remark.  "Your shoulder hurt my nose." Baekhyun chuckled.

 

"You were wandering outside the train from one door to another.  And you look cold. So, I pulled you inside quickly. I apologize if I hurt your precious nose and saved you from freezing," he said.

 

Yerin wanted to hit him, but she was unable lift her hands too.  She ended up rolling her eyes. "Did you just came back from work?  This late?" She asked.

 

"Not my usual.  I had a PTA meeting this evening."

 

"You have a kid?" She asked, almost too loud.

 

"No, silly.  I am a teacher.  I attended PTA meeting as a teacher," he explained.

 

"What?  You can't be a teacher.  You are more a joker than a teacher," she said.  It was meant to be a joke, except that Baekhyun didn't laughed.  He looked hurt and she wondered which part of her statement had caused the pain.  "Hey, sorry. I tried to joke, but it didn't go well, did it?"

 

The train stopped and the door opened.  A few passengers went out, finally giving them spaces to at least be apart.  Yerin pried away from Baekhyun and immediately missed the warmness. They were still very close to each other though.

 

Baekhyun wanted to say that everything was fine, that he only had a very bad day and turned emotional at every word.  But the train made a sudden brake and the inertia had caused the passengers to stumble.

 

Baekhyun quickly grabbed onto the grab rails and held onto it like a lifeline.  He saw Yerin stumbled and tried to grab the rail but failed to do so. It was almost inevitable that she would fall, except that Baekhyun had quickly pulled her into his arm and held her tight.  His other hand still gripped the rail with all his might, bearing both their weights.

 

Once again her nose hit his shoulder and she instantly smelled vanilla again.  Then, there's warmness spread through her and she actually enjoyed having his arm around her.  Yerin saw a man and a woman fell on the floor due to the braking motion. It made her almost guilty that she felt safe with Baekhyun.

 

Finally, the train halted fully.  "What the hell was that?" She heard someone asked.

 

Baekhyun's arm was still tight around her and she had a nagging thought where she never wanted him to let go.  For some weird reasons, it just felt right to be that close to him.

 

But he finally pulled her away from him.  A little bit. Just enough so that he can look at her.

 

"You okay?

 

Yerin answered, "Yes.  You?"

 

Baekhyun only nodded and assessed his surrounding.  Yerin did the same. Some passengers helped the man and woman who fell getting up.  While some others collected their belongings from the floor. Then, there was an announcement made regarding the incident and the train resumed its journey as usual.

 

"That wasn't so bad, was it?"  He smiled at her.

 

"Yeah," she concurred.  "Where are you getting off?"

 

"Another two stations,"  he answered.

 

"That's where I get off too!" she exclaimed.

 

"Well, of course Britney.  We get coffee from the same cafe, in the morning.  Who the hell be in a neighbourhood that early unless they live there?" Baekhyun chuckled.  "How's your mission with the barista going by the way? Yoseob? Right?"

 

Yerin smirked instantly.  "Great!" She beamed at him.  "We are great friends now! By the way, I'm not Britney.  I'm Yerin."

 

"Aha!  Yerin! Friends only?" he asked.

 

"Yes!  I love teasing him.  You should see his reactions.  They are extraordinary. I even tried to pair him up with this one customer who frequents the cafe in the morning.  And he got flustered it was funny." Yerin ended up laughing at her own story.

 

"Oh?  I thought you wanted him for yourself?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"He's a crush.  Every now and then, I flirt with him.  But, I don't consider him a boyfriend material."

 

"So you only want to play with him?"

 

"Play around, yes.  Not toy with him. No, I don't do that."

 

"Huh?"  Baekhyun looked at her.  "You are really different than other women that I've met."

 

"And you are different from other men that I've met.  I mean, who the hell helped a woman stranger flirt with a busy, almost broken down barista?  And who else would pull a woman stranger into his tight embrace just to get her on the same train with him?  It's either you are crazy or you like me a lot," Yerin said.

 

Baekhyun smirked.  "You're really something else."

 

"I know.  So, which one are you?  Crazy or liking me?" She asked.

 

"It's our station."  Baekhyun pointed at the open door.

 

She smiled at him and he smiled back.  They exited the train and was embraced by the biting cold.  Walking together, they exited the station and saw that the cafe opposite the station where they frequented was just closed.

 

"I'm going this way," Yerin said and pointed to her right.

 

"And I'm going this way," Baekhyun pointed the opposite.  "You're okay walking home alone?"

 

"I do this everyday," she replied.  "And I won't be alone. There will be a kind uncle closing his restaurant about fifty meters ahead and then another fifty meters there will be an aunty with her oden food truck.  Another fifty meters will be the entrance to my apartment and there will be security and cameras."

 

"Like this everyday?"

 

"Yes.  I get off work and it is like this everyday."

 

"What are you working as?"

 

Yerin smiled at him.  "I'll tell you next time we meet."

 

Baekhyun stared at her for a moment and nodded.  "Alright."

 

"You haven't answered my question.  Are you crazy or liking me?"

 

"I'll answer that the next time we meet."

 

"Alright."

 

"Good night."

 

"Good night."

 

They parted, both had an absolute surety that they will meet again in the future.  Yerin smiled to herself, was glad that she met Baekhyun again and enjoying the fact the he knew her name now.  As she walked further away from him, she found herself wanting to know more about a guy named Baekhyun and she knew very well she would do what it takes to get to know him.

 

+++++

 

"Things you make me do Junmyeon," Yerin sighed.

 

"I know.  I owe you one." Junmyeon grinned.

 

Junmyeon was one of her closest friends.  They met in college, as volunteers for a primary school Reading Partner program.  And that was the reason he called her for help. The school he was teaching at needed just one more person for the special reading class.  Or else, Junmyeon would have to deal with sulky Sehun. And when Sehun was sulky, he would gave him a hell of a time in helping his student for Maths Club activities.

 

"You can call others.  Suzy, Irene, Rose. Why me?"

 

"Errr...because you work at the grocery store?"

 

"Well, thanks Junmyeon.  That is very nice of you."  She rolled her eyes at him.

 

She knew Junmyeon meant well.  He didn't like seeing her doing all sorts of stock taking, lifting heavy boxes or even being a cashier and dealing with rude customers.  But that was the only job the she she managed to secure when she wanted to shift hour work. She needed her morning hours for her MBA classes.

 

"I thought you like teaching.  Why don't you register as a substitute teacher at the school I'm working?"  He blew into his palm and rubbed them together.

 

"Hell, I cannot be a teacher.  It requires patience. And primary school teacher?  I need to be good with kids. You are natural. I'm horrible."  Yerin kicked a pebble at the side of the road.

 

"But, this reading program is once a week.  And it won't interfere with your MBA program."

 

"I know.  I know. I didn't say I don't agree to do it.  I only ask why me. That's all. I'll help you with this volunteering program."

 

Junmyeon smiled.  "You're an angel. Plus, you'll like it.  Sehun is a freaking male god. I just give you another guy to flirt with."

 

Yerin laughed.  But, when they entered the library and her eyes landed on the teacher slash librarian Mr. Oh Sehun, she understood what Junmyeon was talking about.

 

She gawked at him and quickly looked at Junmyeon.  "Oh. My. God."

 

"I know right," he said and followed Junmyeon walking towards hottest guy she had ever landed her eyes on.  "Sehun. This is the final volunteer that you need. The one I told you about last week."

 

"Ah...Miss Son Yerin.  Nice to meet you. I believe Junmyeon told you about this program in detail?" Sehun asked.  Yerin already plotted twenty-nine ways of flirting with him.

 

"Yes, reading with the kids.  Actually, building a good reading habit with them.  With the comprehension and all. I did this before. And for you, would be glad to do this all over again.

 

"Huh?"  He looked at her sceptically.  "I know. The other volunteer who would be sitting beside you is quite a charmer.  I just hope you can focus on teaching the kid instead of flirting with the guy," Sehun said and wrote on his clipboard again.

 

Yerin liked Sehun already.  The guy Sehun referred to was not a charmer at all.  He dressed shabbily and had a fifty-fifty hair. Yerin knew that Sehun knew she wanted to flirt with Sehun and she knew Sehun didn't like it and wanted her to stop.  It didn't mean that she needed to stop though.

 

Junmyeon laughed.  "Yeah. Both of you carry on. I have a class to teach."  And he left.

 

"To your station Miss Son Yerin," Sehun instructed.

 

"Yerin," she said.  Sehun frowned at her.  "Call me Yerin."

 

Sehun sighed.  "Right."

 

"Sehun!  I need t- Yerin!  What are you doing here?"

 

"Baekhyun!" She beamed.  She left Sehun and walked towards Baekhyun.  "You teach at this school?"

 

"Yes.  I teach here.  What are you doing here?" Baekhyun had the biggest smile on his face.  Sehun looked at both of them with profound interest.

 

"I volunteer for Reading Partner.  Junmyeon said he needed my help."

 

"You know Junmyeon?"

 

"My best friend slash self-claimed brother," Yerin replied with a playful snort.  For some reasons, she was really excited to see Baekhyun. And she would like to talk more with him.

 

"August Rush.  As requested," Sehun appeared from Yerin's side and gave a blu-ray disc to Baekhyun.

 

"Thanks.  The score, Sehun?"

 

"If you look properly at what I give you instead of only looking at Son Yerin, you will find that I give you the score together with the movie," Sehun said.

 

Baekhyun only moved his eyes for a fleet moment before he looked at Yerin again.  "Oh? Thanks, Sehun."

 

"This is interesting."  Sehun looked at them. "Whatever that you need to resolve, do it outside of my library."

 

"It's the school library," Baekhyun refuted.  Taking Yerin with her, he walked to the door.

 

"Still, my library.  Don't take too long with Son Yerin.  The session is beginning soon."

 

Baekhyun smiled at Yerin.  "You can't flirt with him. It won't work."

 

"I know.  I tried just now.  He's freaking pushed me away!" Yerin exclaimed.

 

"I can hear that!" Sehun said.

 

Once they were in the hallway, Yerin had to restrained herself from screaming excitedly.  "I never thought I will see you again this soon."

 

"So do I.  You have any plan today?  For lunch? By the way, where are you working at?"  Baekhyun asked.

 

"iCoop grocery.  I will start my shift at 2 PM," she answered.

 

"Which iCoop?  Nearby?"

 

"Yes."

 

"That's great.  I can get off for lunch at 12.  We can go to the nearby pizza place or something?  Is that okay?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"Yes.  My session ends earlier.  But, maybe I can ask Mr. Oh Sehun if I can use the library for study or if I can't, I will just go to the 7-Eleven nearby and wait for you there," Yerin said excitedly.

 

"I...um...I don't-" Baekhyun stuttered.

 

"The session is starting," Sehun popped his head out of the door and looked at Yerin.

 

Baekhyun looked murderously at Sehun.  He did an awkward hand gestures which Sehun seemed to catch on really fast.

 

"What?  You didn't get to the exchanging phone number part yet?  You guys are so slow," Sehun sighed. Yerin was disappointed and Baekhyun was annoyed.  In the end Sehun suggested, "Look. My session is starting soon. Why don't I give her your number Baekhyun and I will text you hers?"

 

Both Baekhyun and Yerin beamed and nodded.  And he looked at her again. "I'll see you again soon."  Baekhyun walked towards the lift while waving at her.

 

"What an idiot."

 

Yerin heard Sehun muttered under his breath.  With a smile, she followed the teacher into the library for her volunteer reading session.  Before she closed the door, she stole one last look at Baekhyun who just got into the lift.

 

Yerin began counting time for lunch.

 

+++++

 

They fell into their Wednesday routine quickly after the first lunch.  Every Wednesday morning they would grab coffee from their neighbourhood cafe and board the train together.  Then they walked to school from the train station. Baekhyun would then sent her to the library before going to class.

 

They went to lunch together and Baekhyun would go back to school while Yerin worked her shift at the high end grocery store from afternoon until night.  Baekhyun stayed at school, planned for tomorrow's lesson and when she was done with work, he would walk with her from the grocery store to the train station.  They boarded the train home together.

 

After three weeks, Yerin learned that Baekhyun taught music at school.  She learned that he had recently broken up with his five-year girlfriend.  She also learned that the school Junmyeon and Baekhyun taught at was full of hot teachers, men and women included.

 

Like the three teachers she was currently watching right now.

 

"Help me, Jongin, please?" the woman pleaded.

 

"I will provide counselling to the student.  But, I don't think Baekhyun would like to discuss the case with you.  You rejected it first, Taeyeon. Remember?" the male teacher replied. Yerin remembered Baekhyun mentioned Jongin once in their many conversations.  And Yerin remembered very well that Taeyeon was Baekhyun's girlfriend.

 

"But I need details from him," she pleaded.

 

"He gave the details to me.  It is in the file that you are currently holding," Jongin explained.  The shorter men beside Jongin didn't say anything. But, he frowned at the whole situation.

 

Are they having arguments in the hallway?  Yerin asked herself.  He didn't expect to witness teachers arguing in the middle of hallway when she exited the library.

 

"Alright, then maybe I can schedule a discussion with him?  To go over this thing. It involves attempted suicide. The board is probing into it.  I need to know how he first detected depression in this kid and the follow up," pressed Taeyeon.

 

"I don't think so, Taeyeon.  Baekhyun won't submit to any probe or discussion.  He left this case already. I am the only one who can reopen it, with instruction from management.  And now that it reopens, the details are all in the file. If the need arises, the management will call for a private session with Baekhyun.  But, not you calling for a session with him," Jongin explained.

 

"But, this is his case," Taeyeon pleaded.  She looked like she was going to cry.

 

"Was his case," the other man finally voiced his opinion on the matter.  "It was his case until you reported him of abusing his power as a teacher to get into a student's personal life.  Don't you remember?" He sounded angry.

 

"Kyungsoo.  No," Jongin tried to stop him.

 

"I wonder if you are aware of the damage that you had done here.  Baekhyun reported to Jongin the depression case because he knew the boy was abused.  But, you decided to only listen one-sidedly to the parents, without considering Jongin's report, the school counselor's report to forward this case to a psychiatrist.  And Baekhyun was accused of slander and power abused and he ended up being suspended from duty for two weeks and still is put under probation due to your call. So even if the management allow you to have a one-to-one with him, I will do everything in my power to prevent that," said Kyungsoo.

 

"Kyungsoo...let's not go there," Jongin said.

 

"What else do you want me to say?  I don't like to sugarcoat my words.  She's the one decided to ignore your report in the first place.  And now when a child attempted suicide within these four walls, she thinks she has all the calibre to call whoever she likes just because she is the high committee of PTA?  Well, forget it," Kyungsoo warned.

 

And suddenly Yerin felt that she had heard more that what she was supposed to.  Or maybe she should not hear this at all. The matter was supposed to be confidential.  Or even secret. And she had overheard perhaps half of it? She quickly tried to find other ways to go to the ground floor.  Lift was no longer an option for her. She turned around and tried to find the stairs.

 

While she was wandering somewhere deserted, someone called her name.

 

"Yerin!"  She turned and saw Junmyeon.  She sighed in relief.

 

"Junmyeon!" She reciprocated.  "I can't find the stairs."

 

"Why don't you take the lift?"

 

"Urm...some people are arguing there?  It was tense. I don't want to pass by and stopped their conversation," Yerin said.

 

"Huh?  You heard something you don't like?"

 

.  Junmyeon knew her too well.  "Yeah...something about Baekhyun being suspended, someone got depression and attempted suicide."  She paused and whispered, "In this school. Is that true?"

 

Junmyeon was surprised.  "What? You know that much already?"

 

"So it's true," she concluded.

 

"Who the hell would talk about that in the hallway?"

 

"Err...some teachers named Jongin, Taeyeon and Kyungsoo?  At least that's what I heard they called each other."

 

"No!  What? You're not supposed to answer that.  It's better that I don't know. Nevermind. You know what?  I'll pretend I don't hear that," Junmyeon sighed. "Anyway, the staircase is this way."

 

Yerin followed Junmyeon.  The guy looked distracted.  Maybe she didn't just hear half of it.  She had heard all and perhaps more. Yerin thought deeply about it while descending the stairs.

 

"Isn't Taeyeon Baekhyun's girlfrie-"

 

"Ex!  Ex-girlfriend, yes.  You might not want to mention her in front of him."

 

"Oh?  Did they break-up...you know...over the suspension thing?"

 

"No.  They broke up before that.  Not broke up. Taeyeon asked for a break in their relationship.  The call for suspension only made things worse between them. And I guess it is officially off," Junmyeon said.

 

"Did they actually talked about that?  Officially breaking up? Or actually things were left hanging?" Yerin asked.

 

Junmyeon sighed.  "Why don't you ask Baekhyun about this?  I suggest you do that," he emphasized.

 

"But, I am not that close with Baekhyun.  How should I ask that?"

 

"Not that close?  Pffft. My !" Then he realised he used foul language in school area and looked around to make sure there were no student in vicinity.  "What about all the dates you guys have been to?"

 

"What date?"

 

"Don't play dumb with me, Yerin," Junmyeon warned.

 

"What?  You mean our lunch session?"

 

"And coffee session in the morning.  Don't forget that." They had reached the ground floor.  A few students greeted Junmyeon and he greeted back.

 

"Those are not dates.  We just eat together. Or drink coffee together."

 

"Are you serious?"  Junmyeon rolled his eyes.

 

"What?  Did Baekhyun said anything about dating me?"  They were at the security. She returned her access card to the guard on duty.

 

Junmyeon sighed again.  Yerin was not sure how many times he had done that today.  "He didn't say anything about dating. Actually, he didn't say anything about you guys going out at all.  We just saw and we assume you guys are dating."

 

"Who are 'we' again?" She asked.

 

"Us.  Me. Chanyeol.  Jongdae. Minseok.   Kyungsoo. Jongin. Sehun.  Most of the teachers actually."  He shrugged.

 

"Even Sehun?"

 

"Sehun was the first one talking about it," he said.

 

"Huh?  You guys gossip," she stated.

 

"Fine.  But, we have not seen Baekhyun smiled again after he was suspended.  Not until you start hanging out with him. If there's really nothing between you guys, just make it clear with him.  Chanyeol and Jongdae had a really hard time picking up the pieces and mending him so he is whole again. Don't just break him again yeah?" Junmyeon said.

 

Yerin didn't realise that Junmyeon had sent her to the gate.  Without another word, Junmyeon left her contemplating the next move she should make.  Well, she thought she wouldn't talk about it during their lunch session afterwards. Or even when maybe when walking home with him tonight.

 

She will find the most suitable time to have that conversation with him and she hoped when the time comes, she wouldn't be the one breaking him.

 

+++++

 

Yerin sipped her drink with the reusable plastic straw, enjoying the taste of chocolate and cream.  The iciness gave a certain degree of comfort. The constant movement of the train made her sleepy.  So she slid down her seat a bit and put her head on Baekhyun's shoulder.

 

Baekhyun, who currently was busy submitting some kind of application through his phone, only chuckled at her action.  He wasn't even a bit distracted though. She smelled vanilla and it sort of instantly put her into sleep.

 

After what seemed to be an hour later, he woke her up.  "We are here," he whispered. His voice was low and nice and she opened her eyes with a smile.  She straightened herself on her seat and allowed herself a little stretched.

 

As the train came to a full halt, Baekhyun stood up.  He held her tumbler in one hand and held out another hand for her to take.  He must have taken the tumbler from her when she had fallen asleep. Yerin took his hand and they exited the train together.

 

"You still haven't told me where we are going," Yerin said.

 

Baekhyun bit his lower lip and smiled.  His trademark smile. Yerin loved every part of it.

 

"We're going to the aquarium," he said.

 

Yerin stopped in her track.  "You asked me to take a day off work and leave the house at dawn to go to the aquarium?" She asked.  It was weekend. Yerin worked morning shift during weekend.

 

"Yeah.  You said you like aquarium, museum and the sort." Baekhyun frowned.

 

"I do." She tugged his hand to continue walking.  "I just thought that you ask me to take a day off for something really important."

 

"Like what?"

 

"Like...I don't know...work?"

 

"You prefer I ask you to get a day off work...for work?" Baekhyun asked, perfectly confused.  "What kind of work?"

 

"I don't know...volunteering activity?"

 

"Huh?" Baekhyun went quiet for a moment, thinking.  "Maybe next time if the school plan to do community service activities, I will ask you to come along.  But, if it is any consolation, today is actually work also. The school is taking the third grader to the aquarium."

 

"You ask me to go with you on a school trip?" She asked a little too loud.  "Isn't that a little bit wrong? Don't you think?"

 

"It might be wrong if I am the teacher.  But, I am not. They only ask me to tag along. I bought my own ticket. And yours too.  Got discount for the early entry ticket though," he explained.

 

"Are you sure you're not an teacher?"

 

"Yerin, I am under probation.  No teacher under probation can take children out for a school trip," Baekhyun said.

 

"Oh," was her only answer.

 

"You don't seem surprise," he stated.

 

"I might have heard that somewhere."  Yerin grinned sheepishly.

 

"Junmyeon?" He asked.  She shook her head. "Sehun?" She shook her head again.  "Huh? You have established contact with other teachers in the school?"

 

"Nope," she answered.  Baekhyun decided not to press.  "The student is okay now?" She asked.

 

Baekhyun didn't need to ask to know what and who she was talking about.  "I heard that he's recovering. Physically. I'm not sure how he's doing mentally and emotionally though."

 

"You visit?"

 

"The parents forbid me to be near their son.  I consider myself lucky they do not take legal action for restraining order," Baekhyun said.

 

His nose was red.  Yerin was not sure if it was because of the cold or if he was at the verge of crying.  Baekhyun opened the door to the aquarium and pulled her inside. There were a few early visitors like them, but the lobby was still quite empty.

 

"We wait for the others here," he instructed.  He dragged her to a sofa and they both made themselves warm and comfortable.  Baekhyun finally let go of her hand.

 

Yerin looked at her own hand and was very aware that it felt empty.  There was a longing feeling in her heart that wanting him to hold her hand again.  So, she took his hand in hers this time and held it tight. He looked surprised but she felt warm and whole again. She smiled at him.  "Maybe the student want you to visit for him to be okay again," she suggested.

 

Baekhyun snorted.  "I will no longer be a teacher if I visit him.  PTA decided that if I break the terms and conditions during my probation period, I shall be stripped of my title as a teacher.  Unless they retract the terms, I am in no position to do anything."

 

"But it pains you not to visit him though," she said, putting her head on his shoulder.  She swung her legs back and forth. She could feel he nodded. Then, she heard a sniff. "It's unfair."

 

"I can only hope he's fine," he said.

 

"It's unfair," she repeated.  "You only want him to get help.  And the parents accuse you of slander and power abused?  What a failure. And PTA agreed with the parents and make the management suspend you for two weeks and put you under probation?  Absurd. And I assume things at home had gotten worse and the boy attempted suicide. At such a young age? This is primary school for God's sake.  Children are supposed to play with toys. Not suicidal thoughts," she harrumphed.

 

Baekhyun emitted a small laugh.  "I'm still curious how you get to know this.  This is secret. Whoever let it out will have to face the consequences."

 

"Hey, it was by accident okay.  Some teachers were arguing in the hallway.  You are not going to report, are you?"

 

He shook his head.  "No. As you said, it was an accident."

 

"So now the truth is uncovered, are you not gonna do anything?"

 

"Leave it to the school's management and counselor.  Last time I interfered, it didn't go well."

 

Yerin laughed and sat up straight.  "You're so nice. I thought you want to fight for your right to visit the boy, since he is your homeroom student."

 

"Was my homeroom student.  I don't have any homeroom now."

 

"Right."

 

Yerin chose to stop talking and Baekhyun didn't say anything either.  It was rare to see Baekhyun in silence but she guessed the conversation they had must have contributed to that.  Nevertheless, both of them enjoyed the quietness. Yerin played with Baekhyun's slim and long fingers while Baekhyun played with the hem of her coat.

 

"They are here," Baekhyun said as three buses arrived at the drop-off area in front of the aquarium.  Both of them stood up.

 

Yerin saw some familiar teachers getting out of the buses, each holding a clipboard.  Excited school children in uniform then exited the bus, followed by a few more teachers.  Junmyeon and Sehun were among them.

 

A huge and tall man came and greeted Baekhyun.  "You're early Baek." He pat Baekhyun on the shoulder.  And he nodded to her. "Hey."

 

"Hey." Yerin waved her hand a bit.

 

"This is Yerin.  Yerin, this is Chanyeol.  Our Physical and Health Education teacher,"  Baekhyun introduced them.

 

Chanyeol's expression changed immediately.  His smile was wider than Baekhyun and it was contagious.  "You are Son Yerin! The one they talked about!"

 

Of course, she remembered Junmyeon mentioned Chanyeol in the group of gossipers.

 

"Huh?" Baekhyun looked at him suspiciously.  "Who have been talking about Yerin?"

 

Chanyeol grinned sheepishly and Yerin was surprised that Baekhyun actually didn't know about it.  She wanted to question but someone shouted Baekhyun's name.

 

"Baekhyun!" A teacher approached.  He looked cheerful. "Good to see you here.  Last I heard, you refuse to join."

 

"Jongdae!" Chanyeol waved.  "It's Yerin." Chanyeol gestured with his head.

 

"Ahhh...this is the Yerin.  Nice to finally be meeting you." Jongdae extended his hand and she took it.  He shook her hand firmly, eyes showing thousands meaning behind them.

 

"How do you guys...you guys have been talking about her?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"You can never hear enough from Junmyeon.  She's a pleasant company, isn't she?" Jongdae gestured to Yerin while patting Baekhyun's shoulder.  "Anyway, Yixing sends his regards. He's not joining."

 

Yerin knew who Yixing was.  He was the medical assistant stationed at the school.  Yerin usually saw him at the library, borrowing books from the library for sick kids at the sick bay.

 

"Oh.  So now I'm the only one tagging along without a real job to do?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"No.  Not alone.  Yerin's with you," Chanyeol said and winked at Yerin.  She could feel heat creeping up her cheeks. She wanted to give some witty reply but suddenly another man joined the group.

 

"Baekhyun!  You wanna join us chaperoning the kids?  We could use some extra hands," the unknown man said.

 

"I can do that?  I am not even in working attire." Baekhyun asked.  Yerin could almost imagine wagging tail and puppy eyes on him.

 

"Nah…don't care.  Nobody would kn-"

 

"Forget it, Minseok."  Chanyeol's voice was hard and Yerin followed his intense gaze.  "Who the hell invited her here?"

 

Yerin saw Taeyeon walked in and her own hand immediately snatched Baekhyun's.  Yerin even closed the gap between her and Baekhyun. She looked at Taeyeon with a gaze that dared her to stir a problem.  She couldn't understand why she acted that way, but she knew that she wanted to protect what she had with Baekhyun.

 

"Hi," she greeted them.  None of them responded to that.  "I saw the trip's paperwork in the management office.  I thought I would join you here."

 

Taeyeon didn't exactly ask why she was there, so Yerin considered it a good start.  Besides, it was not wrong that she's there. Baekhyun's and her entrance tickets were paid personally without using the school's fund.  Taeyeon probably bought her own ticket too.

 

"Can I have a minute with Baekhyun before we begin?" Taeyeon asked.

 

Chanyeol and Jongdae walked away, not before giving her a warning stare.  Baekhyun looked at Yerin and she smiled at him, giving his hand a squeeze.  As she let go of his hand, she gave it an assuring pat and Baekhyun nodded. Minseok then pulled her with him to the crowd of students that was currently sorted out by Kyungsoo, Jongin, Krystal and Sehun.

 

"What the- what is she doing here?" Kyungsoo asked, restraining himself from cursing in front of the students.

 

"She's joining us," Minseok said.

 

"Joining us?" Krystal asked to reconfirm what she had heard.  Minseok nodded. "Wow! I thought she doesn't like trips to zoo, aquarium or the science centre."

 

Jongin snorted.  "The trouble she goes through to get Baekhyun to help her in her case,"  Jongin said while sorting out the wristband. "Alright, kids! We will go down the line to help you with the wristbands.  Try to stay in line and don't go anywhere."

 

Yerin watched as the teachers busied themselves helping the children with the wristbands.  Then, she noticed she didn't have the wristband. Did Baekhyun give one to her? She was sure he didn't.  Should she get it from the counter? She was about to make her move when someone gently took her wrist.

 

"They have a dolphins show today," Baekhyun said while putting the wristband on her wrist.

 

Yerin smiled.  "Really? Can we get a special session to highfive and kiss the dolphin?"

 

"I'm pretty sure we can sneak in and convince the trainer.  Only us. Don't think the dolphin would be happy having the kids request to ride them," he chuckled.

 

"You look okay," Yerin stated but Baekhyun was aware that it was more a question than a statement.

 

"She told me the parents request for me to visit the boy."

 

"Really?" She beamed.  "That's good, right?"

 

Baekhyun nodded happily.  "The management is lifting the probation next week.  They also will retract their verdict on the accusations put on me."

 

"Oh my God!" Yerin almost screamed.  She wasn't sure why but it made her really joyful.  "So you're getting back your homeroom?"

 

"They made the offer."

 

"And…?"

 

"I didn't take it."

 

Flabbergasted, Yerin looked at Baekhyun with an incredulous expression.  "But why? I thought you love taking care of kids. And isn't being a homeroom teacher the best way to take care of kids?  It's like you have more than twenty kids to take care of."

 

"I know.  I love homerooming.  But, I consider it an opportunity cost."

 

"For what?"

 

"I just enroll in a Master program.  Part time. So I guess if I am only a Music teacher, I can focus my time on Master study."

 

"What?!" Yerin jumped.  "Really?!" She beamed. Baekhyun nodded.  "Well, that's awesome!"

 

"Right?"

 

"What program?"

 

"Special Education," Baekhyun answered.  He ushered her to queue behind the students.

 

"Incredible!  You really want to be a teacher for kids with special needs then?"

 

"I do."

 

"Good.  I support you.  Actually, I will support you in what-"

 

"Baekhyun!  You are chaperoning with us?" Minseok asked, suddenly appeared from behind them.

 

"No.  Sorry bro.  Not available.  I am her chaperone for today," Baekhyun answered confidently.

 

Yerin laughed at that and Minseok nodded with a huge smile on his face.  "Understood. Still will be joining us for lunch right?"

 

"Of course!" Yerin answered.

 

"Whatever she says," Baekhyun agreed.

 

And suddenly there was a shutter of the camera and Yerin turned to see Sehun with a DSLR hanging from his neck.  "Sorry. I have to document this trip. Thought a few pictures would be nice."

 

"We're not listed.  Our photo would be invalid," Baekhyun argued.

 

"Ahhh...did I tell you that I offer photo service for intimate partners?"

 

"The camera is a school asset, Sehun.  What you are doing is illegal."

 

"And is untraceable.  Plus, I only need to take a picture of Lady Lionheart on her personal trip and she would have to allow this.  And I believe she also thinks you guys are slow and need a push somewhere." He paused and took another photo of them.  "Well, I have more pictures to take. Call me when you need me?" And Sehun walked away unperturbed, like a boss.

 

"A push for what again?"  Yerin asked.

 

"Nevermind him.  He's a weirdo."

 

+++++

 

Yerin dozed off in front of her laptop.  Again. She had tried seven different ways of restraining her heavy eyelids from closing but she had failed in doing so.  She even alternated between doing her university coursework and data labelling, but still managed to microsleep while working.  In the end, she leaned against the back of the sofa and let herself get a little sleep.

 

She only woke up when Yoseob mopped the floor besides her.

 

"Oh, are you closing already?" She asked and then yawned shamelessly, with only half-hearted attempt of covering .

 

Yoseob laughed.  The oversized sweater had given her sweater paws and the effect was comical.  Yoseob knew it was Baekhyun's but it was Yerin's favourite and Yoseob was sure she had not planned to return it to the owner.

 

"Nah...we still have one hour.  Just thought I should do something since it is quite slow tonight."

 

"I know right…" she yawned again.

 

"Do you need another drink?"

 

Yerin blinked.  Maybe she could have one while waiting for Baekhyun to show himself.  "You have something new?"

 

"Yes, I tried this new recipe yesterday.  I think it's perfect for slow days like today."

 

"Okay," Yerin answered.  Yoseob abandoned his mop by the wall and scurried to the counter.  He was excited.

 

Yoseob was always excited when he wanted to try out his new recipe.  Since they loved spending time at the cafe, Baekhyun and Yerin had officially become his unofficial connoisseurs.  Yoseob usually gave the drink for free, but it was too often they both agreed it was too much. Yoseob refused any payment for his test drink though.  So, they often tipped him with amount equivalent to a cup of frappuccino.

 

While Yoseob busied himself with drink, Yerin unlocked his phone to see if there was any message from Baekhyun.  But there was nothing. Yerin sighed. He usually wouldn't be so late.

 

Waiting is pain, Yerin noticed that.  Previously, Baekhyun had waited every Wednesday evening for her while she worked at the grocery store.  Now that she was no longer working at the grocery store, it was her turn to wait for him while he went for his night classes.

 

She looked again at her laptop.  She was currently employed by a startup specialised in data analytics.  Having her MBA on the way, the company figured she was an asset. Currently, she was employed as a data labeller and will be absorbed in business planning in the future.  So no more stock taking and box lifting. She was paid to sit in front her laptop and looked and labelled image.

 

But, often times she was bored without Baekhyun.

 

"Your drink," Yoseob put two glasses of something green on the table.

 

She grimaced at the drink.  "Don't tell me this is some healthy green slushie!  Yuck!"

 

"It's kiwi," he answered.

 

"Oh." She smiled.  She sipped the drink with the metal straw, hated the part where she cannot bit the straw but enjoyed every sipped of her drink.

 

"You like it?"

 

"I love it!" She exclaimed.  "You're not gonna drink that?"  She pointed to the other glass.

 

"It's Baekhyun's."

 

"He's here?"  Yerin's eyes widened.

 

"Soon."

 

"He told you?  He didn't even text me." She pouted.

 

"That might be my fault.  I told him just now that you were sleeping," Yoseob scratched his head.

 

As if on cue, the glass door was yanked opened and Baekhyun walked in.  He gave her a smile, the smile that instantly brightened her world. And Yerin smiled back.

 

"I have to continue mopping."  Yoseob stood up. "That's the new drink for you."

 

"Thanks, bro." Baekhyun nodded.

 

"Where have you been?  It's late," she pouted.

 

Baekhyun smiled and sat on the sofa opposite her.  "Went shopping."

 

"What?"

 

Baekhyun gave him a paper bag.  "You said you want this sneakers last week."

 

"What?!"  She took the bag from him.  "The new Vans collection?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Oh my God!" Yerin took out the box and opened it.  A pair of black and emerald sneakers stared back at her.  "Baekhyun. I love the shoes. So much. But, you also know that I don't like people spend their huge amount of money on me right.  Like, I really hate it."

 

"I know.  That's why I think we could...you know...sort of exchange gifts."  He took out a leaflet from his pocket. "I like these shoes. Just saying."

 

Yerin snatched the leaflet from Baekhyun.  "Alright. I agree with this. I'll go shopping this weekend maybe."

 

Baekhyun nodded.  Yerin could imagine it again, the wagging tail, sparkly eyes and happy tongue.  Puppy Baekhyun.

 

"Finish your drink.  Yoseob has to clean everything before he closes the cafe, you know?"

 

Baekhyun finished the drink.  He thanked Yoseob and complimented the drink.  He then put a huge amount tipped in the tip jar and they exited the cafe.

 

Almost on autopilot, they walked towards her apartment.  Baekhyun usually walked her home. She protested a lot at first because she wanted to be the one walking him home.  But Baekhyun begged her to give him the chance to become protective.

 

"Thank you so much for the sneakers by the way," Yerin held out the paperbag with her sweater paw.

 

"Thank you for accepting it," he said.

 

They stopped as they reached her apartment building.  Yerin turned and faced Baekhyun. She looked into his eyes and she could feel that there were thousands things he wanted to say but was left unspoken.  And she had this desperate feeling and sense of longing to have him completing the puzzle that had become herself ever since she first saw him.

 

"I had walked with you at the park, to my home, to work, to movies.  I had gone with you to the movies, amusement park. We had breakfasts, lunches and dinners together," she began.

 

Baekhyun was surprised she suddenly brought up all the things that they had done in the course of one year since they first met.  He smiled at her. "We did all those." He was quite amazed that they actually did many things just in one year.

 

"There was only one thing you haven't done as my boyfriend."

 

At this, Baekhyun's jaw dropped.  He didn't see it coming, the boyfriend part.  They sort of were together for one whole year.  But, with him just broken up and Yerin was not expecting any kind of intimate relationship with any man, he had not say anything about their status.  They did a lot of things together, tolerating each other's favourite, compromising each other's way. They were both aware that they really took care of what's going on between them without saying what it was out loud.

 

Baekhyun knew that Junmyeon questioned Yerin on how far their relationship goes because he didn't want to see any of them broken by it.  He knew Sehun had played many cupid slash love advisor roles in their relationship, whatever kind it was. He knew Jongin and Kyungsoo placed bets on when they would officially announce their relationship.  He knew Chanyeol and Jongdae had been pushing them in the right directions with chocolates, birthdays and special occasions. Hell, even Minseok oftenly teased their intimacy and openly asked them to be together already.

 

But, Baekhyun had never made a move for it because he feared that whatever kind of special relationship they had will disappear.  So, when Yerin had said it out loud that he was indeed her boyfriend, Baekhyun had to reconfirm their status.

 

"Am I already qualified to be your boyfriend now?" he asked.

 

Yerin smiled.  "Oh? I didn't tell you?  You have qualified since…mmm...I can't be sure whether when you helped me flirt with Yoseob or when you pulled me into the train."

 

Baekhyun laughed merrily.  Well, the prospect of taking the relationship even further exhilarated him.  There will be challenges but he was willing to go through it if it meant they will do it together.

 

"Thank you," he said.  He was sure he would tear up, but he planned to save that for when he was home alone later.  "What is it that you want to do with your boyfriend which you have yet to do it?"

 

Yerin smiled at him.  She dropped the paperbag she was holding and embraced him tightly.  He quickly melt into her touch and hugged her back.

 

"To hug him and kiss him under the streetlight," she whispered.  Then only Baekhyun noticed that they were indeed under the streetlight.  "To enjoy the quiet of the night and listen as our hearts beat rhythmically together.  Trying to get our hearts to beat as one and our breaths in sync."

 

Yerin didn't continue the part where as the heart beat as one they will know what the others are feeling even when they are apart.  She didn't want to get so cheesy. Baekhyun might like it but she thought she will keep that when she entered another stage of relationship with him.

 

Baekhyun listened as their hearts beat and enjoyed the deafening silence.  He knew that she will make the next move and will be annoyed if he get to it first.  So he only hugged her tighter until she pulled him gently by his neck. He lowered his body a bit and she kissed him first.

 

It lasted a few seconds and Yerin was glad it was that short because she thought her heart might burst.  She remembered him kissing back and they both let go synchronously because they were perfectly aware that they both wanted to take things slowly.

 

Yerin took the paper bag and made her way to her apartment building and Baekhyun still looked like an angel smiling under the streetlight.  He waved at him and he waved back. And then he asked, "Do you remember a year ago when you asked me whether I was crazy or liking you for helping you with Yoseob and pulling you and hugging you in the train?"

 

"Yes," she answered.

 

"Do you have the answer now?"

 

She nodded.  "You were both."

 

Baekhyun laughed and and left the streetlight, hand in his pocket and his steps light.  Yerin got inside the glass door and still looked at Baekhyun's silhouette as he walked away when suddenly a text reached her.  She looked at her phone and read the message.

 

"I was and still am crazy and liking you."

 

She smiled even wider and looked as his silhouette disappeared and already she was anticipating another day with him.

 

Enjoy and please leave your comment.