meeting

HARBORED
you were only twelve when you first met her.
 
your mom dragged you and your brother into a party hosted by the homeowners' association council where she is an active member. you never liked attending those parties, but your mom said there's a lot of food that night, effectively convincing you and your brother to come with.
 
a familiar woman, whom you've often seen visiting your house lately, greeted your mom. you said hi after she greeted you. that's when you noticed a familiar girl from your school holding the hand of your mom's friend.
 
she had long black hair dangling past her shoulders. she wore a plain purple dress, prettier than the pair of khakis and marvel t-shirt you are sporting.
 
the girl met eyes with you. and judging from the slight change in her expression, you knew she recognized you. she's your senior by three years. but even with the age difference, you're about the same height now.
 
your mom introduced you to the other girl. joohyun, that's her name. you think her pretty name suits her pretty face well.
 
still, you spare her no interest as your food is way more important than anything in the world.
 
little did you know, your world will revolve around this fifteen-year-old girl in the next ten years of your life.
 
---
 
after going with your mom twice a week for the weekly meetings, you found yourself finally getting closer to her.
 
it all started when the meeting went longer than usual. you and joohyun were sitting at the back, waiting for your moms. there were also other kids in the area, but the two of you are having your little world.
 
you were talking about random stuff and gossips about school. it was a fairly normal conversation until she threw a question that caught you off-guard.
 
"seulgi, do you have a crush in school?"
 
your eyebrows rose, unsure of how to answer her question.
 
"i... i don't." you shook your head.
 
"why?"
 
"i am more interested in playing games than looking at people."
 
she giggled. "yeah. i noticed you usually go home right after school."
 
"yup. need to do homework and some chores so mom would allow me to play games after."
 
she her head to the side and stared at you with a smile on her face. you avoided her eyes by looking at the adults discussing instead.
 
"i'm wondering..." she leaned in closer, her arm propped on her knee, her chin resting on her hand. "who could be the lucky person to get kang seulgi's attention?"
 
you're not sure what's happening inside you, but you felt your face heating up. somewhere at the back of your brain, a voice wanted to answer 'you'.
 
but you shook your head, trying to fight the internal panic. whatever she's doing now, it's teasing you, and you need to stay in one piece.
 
"how would i know if what i'm feeling towards someone is a crush?" you asked instead.
 
she pulled back, collecting her thoughts. "first of all, you find him attractive."
 
you secretly smiled at her usage of 'him'. it's not going to be the case for you.
 
"second, you're feeling nervous when he's around or when he looks at you."
 
yup, exactly the reason your eyes are glued to the adults in front and not to the pretty girl beside you.
 
"and third, his mere existence makes your day complete."
 
you glanced sideways to look at her, then looked back ahead, blushing a little. you finally understood why you kept accompanying your mom to these meetings lately.
 
you wanted to see joohyun.
 
you love how her face lights up whenever she sees you. she's so beautiful you would trade an hour or two of video games to have a glimpse of her and her smile.
 
"have you ever felt that?" joohyun scooted closer, tucking her arm in yours.
 
your body stiffened. you always see her walk arm in arm with her friends in school, but you're not sure to respond to this gesture.
 
to make it worse, she rested her head on your shoulder.
 
you swallowed a lump in your throat, thankful you're not melting in your seat.
 
she tapped your arm. "hey, loosen up. you're too tensed."
 
you let out an exhale. "i'm sorry, unnie. i'm not used to people cuddling to me like this."
 
"it's fine. you have a brother. i don't expect you guys to get all cuddly like this."
 
"yeah. we punch and kick each other to show our affection."
 
she laughed. you loved the feeling of how her body shakes along with it.
 
"i always wanted a little sister. wanted someone with whom i can fix hair and practice putting makeup on," she said. "but my mom isn't capable of having another child, so i'm stuck with myself."
 
"at least you get the toys for yourself," you said. "my brother and i always fight over the playstation."
 
"it's still lonely at times." she sighed. then she pulled away and yanked your arm. "hey. what about you become my little sister?"
 
you chuckled. "i'll pass."
 
"yah! a lot of people want to be close to me, and you're rejecting my offer?"
 
"unnie, i'm afraid i don't fit the idea of the sister you have in mind."
 
she stared at you for a moment, particularly at the black shirt you are wearing with a batman logo on it.
 
"you're right." she blinked. "okay. then let's be friends."
 
"aren't we friends yet?"
 
"duh. you still ignore me in school."
 
"oh. i feel awkward greeting you in school, unnie. your friends might find it weird you're friends with a sixth-grader."
 
"they won't. and who cares? don't worry. i'll be the first to greet you next time."
 
you glanced at her and saw her smiling at you. "okay."
 
"yipee!" she hugged your arm and rested her head on your shoulder again.
 
you are more relaxed this time.
 
if being friends with her meant being treated in this way, then you're willing to do it over and over.