boat

HARBORED
it was a steady kiss.
 
there were no movements or anything. only your lips lightly pressed together.
 
it was a simple gesture, yet it gave you beautiful feelings inside.
 
experiencing joohyun's softness and gentleness through her lips is something you've always dreamed of. you can't even bring yourself to believe this is happening now.
 
but you had to pull away, two or three seconds later, to look at her and find out how she's taking it.
 
her eyes met yours. she blinked and sighed. then she looked down, her face flustered.
 
you opened your mouth to speak, but there was the sound of the unlocking front door. amber's voice in the living room followed.
 
"babe?"
 
joohyun stepped back and turned away from you.
 
"there you two are!" said amber, appearing in the kitchen, looking bright. joohyun went to her for a hug. "did you guys enjoy your day together?"
 
joohyun didn't answer. you noticed how she's turned away from your direction.
 
"y-yeah, we did," you said. "brought unnie with me to work earlier."
 
amber wrapped her arms around joohyun's waist. "ahh. that's nice. i had a long day too, but it was fun."
 
"good to know." you faked a smile, still observing joohyun, whose head was on amber's shoulder, turned to the other side.
 
you know what it means.
 
"umm. i think i should go now."
 
"that soon? i just arrived."
 
"yeah. i still have plans."
 
"hmm. okay. i'll see you around then."
 
"yup. enjoy the evening, you two."
 
"umm. seulgi?" amber called. "thank you for taking care of my princess again today."
 
you glanced at joohyun, who isn't reacting to anything at the moment. you were hoping she'll say something. it's better than ignoring you like this.
 
but there was nothing. so, you gave up. you looked at amber and faked another smile.
 
"anytime."
 
---
 
you sent joohyun a simple "i'm sorry" message after you got home. you felt the need to apologize first, despite you thinking it was her who lead you on.
 
but the lack of response from her puts you into agony.
 
is she trying to avoid you?
 
shouldn't you have done that?
 
but why did she give all those motives? were all of those false signals, like a spur-of-the-moment thing?
 
"tsk. dammit." you ran your hand over your face.
 
now you're asking yourself if crossing the line was the right decision. because after that kiss you shared, you know it'll never be the same for you and joohyun again. that three-second kiss already ruined your eleven years of friendship. yes, it was only short, but you two will never go back to being sweet with each other again without being awkward.
 
you sighed again. you don't know what to do anymore.
 
---
 
there was still no sign of joohyun the following day.
 
you're already thinking she might have removed you from the original plan of introducing you to amber's best friend. maybe that's how bad she wants to avoid you.
 
you stopped sending her message too, tired of efforting only to get ignored.
 
"just give her time," said seungwan after you told her what happened. "she'll come around. i'm sure of that."
 
so, that's what you did; you waited.
 
---
 
"change of plans. instead of tomorrow, we'll pick you up later at 8 pm. we'll drive to the villa tonight and will stay there until tomorrow afternoon."
 
that was the first message you got from joohyun after over twenty hours of silence. now you're confused more than ever.
 
so, she still wants you to come with them but is trying to avoid the topic of you kissing each other. but why?
 
you wanted to decline and tell her you're no longer coming, but seungwan told you to come. she said it could be joohyun's way of trying to talk to you. hopefully, she has plans for doing that.
 
so, you said okay and ready yourself for what will happen.
 
---
 
"yo! seulgi, my man!" amber called from inside the car; the window rolled down on her side. "hop in here!"
 
you got a glimpse of joohyun, who's also looking at you from the passenger seat. you avoided her gaze and opened the back door. you were about to step in when you noticed an unfamiliar person inside.
 
you stopped, didn't expect you'll be sitting beside someone... someone this beautiful.
 
"ah, krys, this is seulgi, joohyun's best friend," said amber, twisting her body to turn to the two of you. "and seulgi, this is my best friend, krystal."
 
you raised your brows, couldn't believe a masterpiece like this is friends with amber. krystal is unequivocally gorgeous: long wavy hair, pretty eyes, and her snobbish aura that adds more to her appeal.
 
seriously. how can amber be friends with this woman and not want to date her?
 
"hi." krystal waved at you, pulling you out of your thoughts.
 
"umm. hello," you said plainly, still catching up with what's happening.
 
"i'd shake your hand, but i think it's better if you step in and settle first."
 
you almost smacked yourself for your stupidity. how come you forgot how awkward your position was? half of your body is already inside the car, and the other half is still outside.
 
you chuckled and shook your head. "right."
 
"oh my gosh, seulgi. did you just ogle at my best friend?" asked amber, amused.
 
you felt your face warming up as you settle yourself behind the passenger seat. "i did not."
 
"oh, you just did. you saw her, krys, right?"
 
"don't bully her, am." krystal chuckled. "she was surprised to see me here."
 
"yeah, i got surprised. i thought i was going to third-wheel until we arrive at the villa." you turned to krystal and offered your hand. "it's a pleasure to meet you."
 
krystal shook your hand. "pleasure's all mine. i'm so glad you came. i am also terrified of third-wheeling these two until tomorrow."
 
you laughed. "i've had my fair share of third-wheeling. i feel you there."
 
"have you had dinner?"
 
whatever happy feeling you're getting from krystal is now long gone when you heard joohyun's voice. it was just a simple question, yet it shook your world like crazy.
 
hearing her voice like this makes you realize how much you missed her.
 
like amber, joohyun is turned to you. you observed her face, specifically her lips, recalling how those felt last night. her eyes were looking at yours, but you can tell she's trying hard to maintain eye contact.
 
"yes, i had..." you showed a can of pringles from your stuff. "i even brought snacks."
 
joohyun's eyes shifted their focus when you bit your lower lip. she turned away. "sorry for the late notice."
 
"no worries."
 
"okay. so, are we all settled?" asked amber. "buckle up, guys! we're going on a trip!"
 
"roll up your window, am. we don't want officers pulling us over saying they thought a llama was driving the car," said krystal, and you laughed hard.
 
amber turned to krystal with her llama face on. "i'd spit on them if they do."
 
"ew!" krystal laughed along with you.
 
"let's go," joohyun placed her hand on top of amber's.
 
"let me just get my lucky charm." amber stole a quick cheek kiss from joohyun.
 
you looked away and huffed. yup, this is what you signed up for when you agreed to come.
 
you were already cursing yourself inside when you noticed krystal looked away, heaving.
 
you observed her further only to notice how she keeps blinking, maybe preventing a tear from coming out? her fist clenched tight on her lap.
 
you looked at amber and then back to krystal. right there and then, you knew.
 
krystal is definitely in the same boat as yours.