One Step Closer To You

Night To Remember

A heavy silence settled in the living room, thicker then the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. After hearing about the incidents from the previous night, Junmyeon’s and Joohyun’s unsettled eyes glanced unceremoniously around and tried to avoid catching other glances that passed by. They shifted uncomfortably in their seat, once again, decreasing the distance between their chairs.

 

It felt painfully out of place, like a pinapple that had mistakenly made its way onto pizza. 

 

Joohyun was the one to break a silence.

 

,,Is that all?”

 

,,Hm, well, before we left we asked the bartender for your belongings and he said…some stuff too.”

 

With that, the girl lost all her hope and buried her face in her hands and let out weak ,,Oh no…”.

 

Junmyeon, embarrased himself, made a questioning look to which Chanyeol was hesitant to answer.

 

,,For you see, the bartender told us that after getting on the dance floor you two started drinking like it was the end of the world.”

 

Whimper from Joohyun. Gasp from Junmyeon.

 

Chen added ,,Then there went something about you drinking like it was a civil war and doctor was coming to saw your legs off. Also, quoting-”he cleared his throat ,,They were like dogs without harnesses. Running wild.”

 

Loud, embarrassing moan from Joohyun. One single ,,” and hand on the mouth from Junmyeon.

 

 

Jongdae and Chanyeol didn’t knew how to lighten the mood now.

 

,,Why the long faces? It could have always been worse. Look on the bright side, you two really entertained the people at that place.” 

 

The comment didn’t seem to do any justice cause Junmyeon started glaring at his friend so hard, he was basically burning holes in his face. Joohyun, on the other hand, had her head hanging low trying to hide her embarrassment. Without a word, she slowly picked up the spoon and started to eat soup and rice before her. Chanyeol looked at her with a worried face.

 

,,Hey noona. Don’t feel embarrassed. People do worse things than you. I mean, look at me!” He started gesturing at himself. ,,I say more dumb stuff before 9 p.m than most people say during a whole day!”

 

He expected her to at least crack a smile, but all he received was a gloomy face and daggers behind eyes. She aggressively grabbed her bowl with soup and continued to eat in silence. Junmyeon was examining her movements and then did the same. Boys just shrugged their shoulders and joined.

After they finished breakfast, Joohyun quickly collected her stuff, told them to thank Kyungsoo for cooking and made her way to the door. 

 

,,Hey! Ain’t you forgetting something?” Junmyeon halted her before she could grabbed doorknob. She turned around, raising her eyebrow.

 

,,Like what? Dignity and self-respect? Don’t worry Jun, I’m a big girl. I will erase everything that happened yesterday from my mind. I just need to find a baseball bat and-"

 

,,Oh stop overreacting women.” Junmyeon rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. ,,I was talking about the fact that I promised to drive you home.” 

 

,,No, thank you. I value my life enough. You heard the guys. You drank more yesterday than a depressed teacher in the middle of the exam season! What makes you feel that you’re able to drive?”

 

Junmyeon lifted his finger up, but words never left his mouth. Instead, his jaw was dropped low and then he closed. Rubbing his forehead, he let out the deep sigh.

 

,,Look. I know this looks bad, but this isn’t the first time I had to drive after drinking, much to my disappointment. But I’m sober enough not to kill us both. I mean look, we ended up in a bed and neither of us killed each other!”

 

,,Please, don’t put it like that.”

 

 

It was 7:30, Sunday morning. The streets of Seoul were empty, no people, no cars. The sun was just about to rise. 

 

And despite literally nothing around, the ride seemed to be go on  for extremely long time.

 

Junmyeon’s eyes were lazily but still focused on the road as he let out the yawn. He supported his head with hand pressed against the window while the other remained on the steering wheel. Joohyun sat on the passenger seat and was playing with her still disheveled hair, looking at the passing buildings and trying not to think about the possibility of Junmyeon getting arrested for driving after drinking.

 

Junmyeon was about to turn on the radio when she decided to break the silence.

 

,,Well…” She said unsure.

 

,,Well?” He answered not really knowing where that conversation was going.

 

,,Is everything okay between us?”

 

,,Ehhm…” he hesitated for a moment. ,, I mean, of course. Why wouldn’t it be?”

 

She put her hand on the door and begun to tap the surface with her purple nails. She puffed her cheeks.

 

,,What I mean is…we both didn’t want it to end it like it, obviously. So it would be nice if that stayed just between us. And the boys, eventually.”

 

He knew what she meant. But even then, a slight uneasiness flashed through his head. Of course, being comfortable with her was something he had wanted for a very long time since everywhere he went, there was this misconception of her hating him.

 

It wasn’t that she hated him, he knew at least that. He had known her ever since she became a trainee. By that time, he managed to learn that she’s reserved and shy around people. She’s also easily scared.

 

Alongside with the crush he developed over these years, it made him feel that he should protect her. That maybe s wasn’t the only one who needed a guardian.

 

So hearing her saying that she wants to forget about the ,,closure” they shared, made him sad.

 

,,Sure. If that’s what you want.” He tried to sound as unbothered as possible. She let out a silent ,,thanks”.

 

Joohyun rested her head against the headrest and closed her eyes. It didn’t last long cause her phone started throwing notifications. All from Seungwan.

 

Wendy: Yo, unnie! Where r u?!

 

Wendy: What did you do last night?! Where’s Jun oppa?

 

Wendy: GIRL I need explanation and details!

 

 

Confusion appeared on Joohyun’s face. It didn’t go unnoticed by a driver.

 

,,Girls are already looking for you?”

 

,,Yeah, it’s Seungwan.”

 

,,What is it? I’m on my way to the dorm. What do you meany by explanation?”

 

Typing symbol. For some reason, Joohyun felt a sudden wave of anxiety.

 

 

Wendy: I need details on THIS!

(Photo send)

 

Joohyun covered trying not to let out any gasps or scream. Junmyeon, luckily was too distracted making a turn on junction to notice her reaction. Joohyun was now staring wide eyed on the photo of her and Junmyeon on the pool table with hooked legs, arms around bodies and faces inches away from each other.

 

,,Where did you get this!!!!???” 

 

It must have been Chanyeol, she just knew it! This man gossips more than an high school girl! That’s what he meant by ,,looking adorable together”.

 

Her terrified thoughts were interrupted by Junmyeon.

 

,,Did something happened? You look pale.”

 

,,NO! Nothing! Something just popped into my head. Don’t worry. Just drive.”

 

He just shrugged his shoulders and continued to drive. Joohyun quickly send her bandmate quick message and threw her phone to her bag.

 

Before she knew, they arrived at the door of her building. He stopped the car, waiting for her to unfasten the seatbelt and leave. But unlike he’s predictions, she was sitting still, head in the clouds.

 

,,Not to rush you or anything, but are you planning to go?”

 

She snapped her head back to him and let out an ,,ohh”.

 

,,Yeah, I am, but there’s one more thing…” She didn’t finish, instead she grabbed gently the fabric of the T-shirt she was wearing. His T-shirt to be specific.

 

Junmyeon only then noticed his cloth on her. The Star Wars T-shirt that looked way too big on her. At first he didn’t knew what to do. He wouldn’t just ask her to take it off right now. 

 

,,You can keep this.” Joohyun’s eyes widened. ,,I’m not saying forever!  You can give it to me next time you’ll be at SM building. You can wash it in your favorite lavender clothes softener if you want to.”

 

Oh shoot.

 

,,I MEAN don’t take me for a creep! I just know you like the smell since most of your clothes have that scent.”

 

Another shoot.

 

,,IT’S NOT LIKE A SMELL YOUR CLOTHES! YOU IN GENERAL SMELL NICE AND-"

 

His panic attack was stopped by girl’s hand. She had confused look. Or disgusted. Maybe both.

 

,,I get it. I’ll wash it.”

 

And then she smiled. It was enough to kill him inside.

 

,,Well, I should probably go now.” She started to unbuckle her seatbelt. Something in Junmyeon was telling him to stop her. To say something. So many things happened during this one night. They didn’t have that many interaction for a very long time. Sure, he tried to hug her at the New Year’s awards, approach her at the SM Town in Chile, but he always ended up chickening out in the last moment.

 

Now he had a perfect occasion. To finally break the ice. To ask her.

 

,,Wait!”

 

And with that her grabbed her shoulder and having her big dark eyes looking at him with full attention.

 

,,Joohyun. I just wanted to ask..”

 

She began to feel anxious, he could tell by the way her shoulder stiffened. 

 

Come on Jun. You can do this.

 

,,Would you like to go with me to the upcoming D&E concert!?” There. He said it.

 

Joohyun didn’t knew what to say at sudden offer.So many things went through her mind. 

 

He asked me to go to the concert with him? Is that a date? What do I say? What if someone sees us?

 

With her not answering, Jun started to regret asking so suddenly. This was expected. After all, what did he knew about asking girl out. Especially this special to him. He was reading to take that back when suddenly-

 

,,I’d love to.”

 

,,Wait, what?” 

 

,,I said, I’d love to.” Now was Junmyeon’s turn to be confused. He didn’t expect her to actually say yes. The offer came out in the heat of the moment.

 

,,Are you for real?”

 

,,Well, at first I thought that maybe Minho didn’t have time to go, so I was a replacement. But then I thought that you’re not that kind of person, so..why not?”

 

His face may not have showed it but inside his heart was jumping like a happy kangaroo. She actually agreed! 

 

,That’s great-" He was cut out.

 

,,But on one condition. We will enter separately. And we will not bring any attention to us.” She said that with her finger held up.

 

,,Yeah, of course. If that will make you calmer, I can ask Yunho and Changmin to come too.”

 

She nodded her head with a sweet smile. Junmyeon insides were melting.

 

,,Okay, so…I’ll call you. I guess.”

 

,,Sure. I’ll go now. I have some explaining to say to the girls.”

 

With that, she exited the car and headed to the front door. Before she reached the stairs, she turned and waved at him friendly. He waved back and send her full teeth smile. He waited for her to enter the building. As soon as she was inside, he grabbed the wheel, rested his head on the headrest and closed his eyes. Who would’ve thought that a night full of drinking would end up with him asking his crush to go on a date with him. Full of happiness, he started the engine and made his way back home.

 

,, Date with her on a concert. We’ll have to careful. But we’re responsible. What can possibly go wrong?” He thought to himself.

 

 

And then at the day of the concert,

Suho and Irene broke the internet.