you're the star that turns ordinaries into extraordinaries

you're the star that turns ordinaries into extraordinaries
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April showers bring May flowers. And apparently, it can bring a monsoon the size of Jeju months before monsoon season is even supposed to take place. And with Hoseok's unfortunate of bad luck, the monsoon storm happened to be when he was districts away from home, trying to get onto a plane that was supposed to return him in less than two hours. Now, he had to wait for another eight before he was going to board the plane that was better suited for any foreseeable issues while still waiting out the storm. That meant he had ten hours until he was home if he hoped hard enough. And judging by the night's events already, he was guessing he wasn't going to be so lucky.

Heck, if things continued in the way they were, he may never get home. He was doomed to live in this airport for the rest of his life and live off of overpriced coffee and bagels. Maybe he could convince the old woman next to him to share her blanket with him and maybe spare him some sips of her water bottle. He would have to camp out in the bathrooms and beg for loose change so he could afford another plane ticket or another way home. Maybe he could put together a small studio where he could teach the rowdy kids at the airport some dances to attempt and tucker them out before the flight. He would charge per child so he could raise enough money for that plane ticket. There was so much he could arrange because he was that desperate to get home in the swiftest way possible.

Hoseok was just trying to get home to his husband and baby. He had been away for a full seven days and that was seven days too long. Now he was looking at seven and a half, maybe eight days. He loudly groaned and his mind drew blanks for quite a while after until his friend decided to act upon his doings and finally inquire within him.

"Quit your whining, Hobi," Namjoon complained as he elbowed the slightly older man in the side. Hoseok was hunched over in his seat with his head nearly between his knees, the only reason it wasn't was due to his elbows resting on his thighs and propping his torso up, hands clasped together in front of him, "It's not that much longer. Try to sleep a bit, it will help your mood and maybe it will get your mind off of Jimin and Youngsoo."

Ah, Hoseok missed Jimin and Youngsoo so much. The last time he had seen Jimin in person was a week ago as the younger dropped him off at the airport in their car. Hoseok had given him a quick kiss on the lips and if it were up to him, he would have given his son a kiss as well, but he was sitting in the back of the car in his baby carrier and fast asleep. Youngsoo had been a bit fussy at the beginning of the car ride, but over time he quieted down and eventually fell asleep, the car having rocked him enough to imitate his Rock 'n Play Sleeper. Youngsoo was an easily consolable child, a blessing sent from heaven. Hoseok regretted not giving him a final kiss goodbye, but he had been running a bit late and was afraid TSA was going to take forever. The possibility of him missing his flight was not a chance he could afford because this was all for a business trip.

Hoseok and Namjoon were both producers and the issue of having their studios out in Busan while the companies who were willing to buy their songs were out in Seoul was inconvenient. While there is no problem with sending out samples all the way to companies in Seoul, every now and then they would need to travel out and present their work in order to create a proper transaction between companies and sound engineers. Other producers typically bought their songs, wrote lyrics, and added anything they felt was necessary. Sometimes there were those who wanted the artist's opinion on a piece and request they work together in order to produce and compose a song. They were pretty skilled lyricists and the company who bought their most recent songs were willing to work with them on lyrics and composition. This usually required both Namjoon and Hoseok to travel to the capital of Korea in order to finalize their trade.

This time around, Namjoon and Hoseok had managed to sell three different songs all to the same company and this same company was familiar with their reputation. Once they bought the songs, they requested Namjoon and Hoseok to work with some of their songwriters in the company to write the lyrics and harmonies as well. It was the perfect opportunity for both Namjoon and Hoseok, considering that the company they were selling to was home to some of the biggest singing groups in Korea. This was a huge deal for their careers and this was going to bring them a large paycheck that would help both of their families.

But Hoseok couldn't think about the end product because he missed his family so much and this monsoon that was going on near Busan was messing up his entire schedule. There were currently no flights going out to Busan while this storm crept closer to the district. He was annoyed, "Oh, shut up, Joon. You try staying away from your husband and baby boy for seven days. I haven't left them for this long before," Hoseok recalled, straightening back up and sitting with his back pressed to the plasticky quality of the airport seats. They were super uncomfortable too, no cushion in them at all. He missed his bed at home where Jimin laid with him at night, "And this time around there's a monsoon close to home, what if they get hit?"

Namjoon snorted, "You've left them before and they were just fine, I think you're just that whipped," Namjoon noted as he shifted in his seat, pulling out a water bottle to take a swig. He had bought it an hour prior to take on the flight, but now he was going to finish it before getting on the plane, "Jimin and Youngsoo have you wrapped around their little fingers," he himself was not worried one bit about the impending monsoon, it was low level and was more or less a passing phase. When Namjoon had texted Seokjin, the older hadn't even noticed that there was a storm happening. They were all fine.

Hoseok's mood was quickly souring from the combination sitting on his plate. Not being able to see his family for so long and having his best friend was not what he wanted to hear. He may have found it amusing at a better time, but now he didn't want to hear it and he really just wanted to be home. He was pining for that feeling of home, "That wasn't near the same amount of time as this time around. You remember how much of a mess I was when I first had to leave Jimin and Youngsoo behind, and that was only a weekend. This has been a week and I honestly feel like I'm going crazy without them."

"It's like you're going through withdrawal," Namjoon joked light-heartedly, not wanting to tread too far into uncharted territory, "We'll be home soon, Hoseok. Don't stress yourself out so much, okay?" Hoseok really had been a mess this entire trip and the only time he wasn't was when he was so involved in his work that even eating had slipped his mind.

Hoseok breathed through his nose and hunched back over, rubbing a rough hand over his face, "I'm trying not to, but I think me trying not to stress out is stressing me out. I really miss them."

Namjoon hummed and passed the water bottle to Hoseok so he could take his own sip. Hoseok took it gratefully, "I mean, you've been away longer than this before. Remember when we had that two-week trip out? We practically wrote for an entire album back then. You weren't a mess at all, barely even complained about being away, just a little whiny since Jimin didn't tag along. What changed, man?" Hoseok had changed a lot since then. He knew that for sure, but what was so different this time around?

"Youngsoo," Hoseok muttered, handing the water bottle back to his friend and slumping into his chair. He couldn't choose a single position to sit in because his mind was so fed up, incredibly frustrated about this whole experience. It was almost like he didn't know what he wanted, but really he wanted to be in bed with his family, "He's getting bigger and it's harder to leave him behind when he knows something is happening and something is changing. I haven't been away this long since Jimin was still pregnant and when there's an actual baby added into the mix, it's really different."

"How?" Namjoon asked, really becoming invested in what his best friend had to say. He was more or less going to experience the same thing as well very soon.

"Well, first of all, he's so little but still so aware at this age and what if I miss things? He's starting to roll over and he hasn't done it perfectly yet and he's starting to sit up on his own as well. What if I miss the first time he can do either of those things properly? What if Youngsoo doesn't even recognize me when I get back? Babies don't have object permanence quite yet and he's still struggling to remember people he doesn't see after a while. He'll probably forget me, won't know who I am once I set foot through that door. I'll be a stranger again."

Namjoon possibly felt his heart break upon hearing that. Hoseok was so sentimental and it grew worse when he married Jimin, and further evolved once Youngsoo was born. The baby was only six months old, way too young for his parents to be away for longer than a day or two and Namjoon could see exactly where Hoseok was coming from, but he was sure the older was overthinking things, "Well, you face timed your family once or twice right? Youngsoo should still know you, shouldn't he?" Namjoon asked, moving his legs to the side so a family could pass by. There were two young children with little backpacks on their backs and bouncing along, wide smiles painting their faces. Their small voices were speaking in excitement over the prospect of riding a plane, most likely their first-ever plane ride. Namjoon shared a small smile with no one in particular, maybe just for himself.

Yes, there had been a few times where Hoseok had had time to facetime his family and when he had, Jimin looked exhausted every time and he felt guilty about it. Youngsoo had a very particular and intricate bedtime routine and part of that required Hoseok and Jimin singing together to put him to bed. Their voices were very different in pitch and it contrasted nicely when they sang the ballad they would choose every night to sing to their son. There was once where they tried leaving out the song and Youngsoo, even being so young, did not appreciate the change and whined until they had sung for him. Hoseok had tried to call around Youngsoo's bedtime but every time he had called he had been unsuccessful in an answer. He knew it was because Jimin didn't want him worrying about his family when he had work to do. Jimin had always shot him a text later telling him when Youngsoo was asleep and it was always way later than he was supposed to be, "Last time I talked to them was yesterday and it wasn't for very long. Youngsoo was getting cranky and it's hard to talk over a screaming baby. When I did talk to Jimin, you should have seen the bags under his eyes. He was barely awake, Namjoon," he rubbed a hand over his face again, trying to focus on something other than the purely fatigued features of his husband, "I'm going to take them with me next time this happens. No ifs, ands, or buts."

Namjoon grew silent for a while and thought back to Seokjin. Namjoon and Seokjin were married as well, creeping up on four years together, and they were expecting their first child. Seokjin was just about five months, not in the early months and not too far along either. He was still able to do everything on his own without needing help and his morning sickness was nearly nonexistent. Namjoon had made sure to make at least two calls a day back home and talk to Seokjin about how everything was. Sometime halfway through, Seokjin had called him to boast about the new house plants he had bought. Fiddle-leaf fig trees and parlor palms now lined up in the living room and their front door. When Namjoon had asked why, Seokjin had explained that it was going to be good practice for a baby. Namjoon had tried to argue that, but when Seokjin considered his point, he had voiced that maybe he should have gotten a dog instead. Namjoon had never changed his mind so fast and agreed that plants were enough. They didn't need plants, a dog, and a baby to take care of. Namjoon had trouble taking care of his own belongings. He was a little hopeless.

And yet, he still couldn't relate to Hoseok and his internal issues. It is indeed very different for Namjoon since he doesn't feel the connection with his baby like Hoseok feels with his baby. Namjoon had felt their baby kick and he liked to rub Seokjin's belly to try and create an outer bond with his child, but that was all. His child didn't know who he was yet and he didn't know who his child was yet. There was no personality to relate to yet and Namjoon found it easy to leave Seokjin and his baby behind because really there was no baby to leave behind. So yes, he didn't know how Hoseok was feeling at all and he was scared of that for himself in the future, "I can't argue that. Hopefully, we won't have to make another trip out until after my little one comes along. But next time, it will be okay if they come along too. We'll just have to deal with screaming babies while we work, too."

"That will be perfectly fine, and if anyone, your kid will be the screamer. Youngsoo is just a bit whiny, he doesn't really cry much. You scream out of nowhere and make random noises all the time. And Seokjin is loud, too. Your baby will only mirror that," Hoseok shot back in an attempt to distract himself. In the end, he and Jimin were loud as well, but their son had found a middle ground in which he wasn't too loud but also wasn't quiet. He cried a decent amount, but it was always manageable. He was very good about crying though, whining when he needed something instead of actually letting tears out of his eyes.

Subconsciously, Namjoon made one of his loud noises: a grunt with a mix of almost a yell. The younger caught himself a bit too late and had the audacity to blush after hearing his own habit, ears turning red past his gray hair, "You better pray they aren't or you won't hear the end of it," he warned with a finger pointed right at Hoseok, a very rude gesture but one Hoseok chose to ignore. There wasn't much more he could say and his mind was focusing back on his desire to see Jimin and Youngsoo again. It was very overwhelming.

Things quieted between the two as they listened to the announcement that sounded over the terminal. Their wait time was diminished to a whopping six-hour wait time, meaning Hoseok would get home in eight hours total. He would be getting home at three in the morning, which still wasn't ideal, but it was something.

After hearing the announcement, Hoseok texted Jimin the change in details and when he was to expect him home. He was about to put his phone away and to his surprise, seconds after sending the text, Jimin tried to call him by way of video chatting him. It was almost like second nature when Hoseok acted fast to answer the call once it processed. He placed his Air Pods in his ears so he could talk to his husband with some semblance of privacy and tilted the phone towards Namjoon so he could see who he was talking to. Hoseok finally accepted the call as soon as he could and was met with the most beautiful sight on earth.

There he was, Jimin in all his glory with their young son held in his arms. Youngsoo was an exact copy of Hoseok from his eyes to his dimples his heart-shaped smile. There was not a single ounce of Jimin in him, and Jimin was completely okay with that. The younger always joked about how their next kid was going to be his exact copy, and Hoseok knew he was going to be okay with that. Jimin's voice sounded through Hoseok's air pods and Hoseok couldn't help but detect how tired his husband sounded, "Hello, Hobi."

"Hello, Jimin," Hoseok responded before then addressing his son with a higher pitched voice, "Hello, Youngsoo," Youngsoo responded with a squeal that shocked both Hoseok and Jimin. Hoseok smiled at Jimin's reaction which was a flinch from the sheer volume of his voice. Youngsoo had his moments but he was typically quiet, "How's everything back home? There's no ocean at the front door yet is there?"

Jimin giggled behind a hand, a habit he'd always had, "No, there's not really much happening. It's a bit windy and it's raining but that's about it. We're not really close enough to the water to really worry about it," he informed Hoseok to keep him from worrying, reminding him where exactly they lived, "But you'll be home a little sooner tonight?" asking as if he needed clarification. He was calling so he could talk to Hoseok because he missed him so much and the older knew that and he was willing to indulge his husband.

"By two hours, but I'll still get home super late. I'm really sorry, Jiminie," he apologized, a pout finding its way onto his lips and making his dimples peek out, now more prominent, "You'll need to put him to bed alone again tonight. I'm so sorry."

Jimin sighed but nodded, "It's just one more night, I can make it. Not too hard," he shifted Youngsoo in his arms so Hoseok could see more of his son's small body and an immediate smile spread on his featu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter