Ms Jinx and Ms Weirdo

The Jinx and The Weirdo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

“Don’t look directly into her eyes. She’ll bring you bad luck”

 

“I heard she’s a witch. Do you think it’s true?”

 

“Look. It’s Miss Weirdo”

 

“Someone told me that her parents hates her so much that she was abandoned here”

 

“I feel sorry for her. She has no friends”

 

“I heard she’s bewitching the Principal that’s why she got the scholarship”

 

 

Amu ruffled her hair messily and felt both her hands slowly travelling to her ear. She locked herself at the University’s infirmary and cursed the voices inside her head. She sobbed upon hearing harsh and unforgiving words from everyone around her, it’s nearly driving her crazy. Ever since she was little, she has this gift. A very special gift that enables her to read minds of anyone who looks at her in the eye. Yes, Amu Kitagawa is not a typical University student. Despite having this ability, Amu always regarded this as a curse – not a blessing.

 

 

By the time she was 17 years old, Mrs Kitagawa left Amu and her beloved father after she realised that she is not able to cope with her daughter’s oddity. Her mother became very ill and thought that all the misfortunes that happened in their family is because of her own daughter. Amu blamed herself for this. Every night she sobbed, longing to feel her mother’s embrace once again. It was until she turned 19 when her father decided to send her to Japan to finish University. Amu was known by her previous school as the ‘odd’ one which consequently made her the centre of ridicule and harassment. Because of this, her father decided that it would be best for her to live with her grandfather in Japan.

 

 

“I wish I didn’t have this… curse” Amu rested her face on her palm and tried her best to stay composed. She looked around her and saw her favourite place in campus, the only place where she can get peace and quiet – the university’s infirmary. When she first transferred to the school, she was here every other day for simple injuries inflicted on her by her classmates. It was like her second home now and the nurse just lets her go in whenever she wants.

 

 

Amu gave off a big sigh and wiped the remaining tears in her eyes. “You’re better than this, Amu. You never expected anyone to be your friend anyway,” she tried to convince herself.   By now, she’s supposed to be used to all the harsh words thrown at her, having lived with this curse since she was born. However, she can never find herself adapted with this. Everywhere she goes, it seems like everyone around turn their backs at her without even getting to know the person within.

 

The girl decided to shake off her emotions and get back to class when she heard the door clicking open. Hearing this, she panicked and found herself hiding behind a curtain which was used to provide privacy to anyone using the infirmary bed. She soon heard footsteps followed by soft painful moans.

 

 

“Ughh… how can I be so careless?” Amu heard a familiar voice not so far away. It was Arioka Daiki – one of the most popular boys in campus. His dad is known as the wealthiest business man in Japan and Daiki is labelled as one of “the super-rich” students at Hakusenkan. “Ah! It’s still bleeding!” The boy moaned in agony and seems to be looking for something inside the nurse’s cupboard. Wanting to help out, Amu slowly revealed herself behind the curtain and skipped towards the drawer containing the bandages.

 

 

“Here…” Daiki looked up and saw Amu handing him a single dressing and prompted him to place it over his cut. Daiki’s wound wasn’t that deep, but it was big enough to have a droplet of blood drip on the floor. “This should cover up the wound nicely” Amu spoke ever so gently, even Daiki was amazed on how calm her voice was. The boy watched Amu place the said bandage on his left index finger after being cut by a knife from his Home Economics class.

 

 

“Thanks…” Daiki felt Amu’s warm hands on his. She was standing so close that he could smell the perfume she was wearing that day. He then realised how familiar the girl is and remembered that they share the same homeroom. She’s the girl who sits at the darkest, gloomiest part of the room - the girl who barely speaks to anyone. 

 

“There… You should put a bit of pressure to help it stop bleeding” Amu pressed Daiki’s finger and softly smiled at the latter. She looked up and saw Daiki staring right back at her, making her feel a sudden electric current travel up her spine.

 

“Woah… she looks cute” Daiki said in his mind. Hearing what he’s thinking, Amu felt her eyes widening and immediately took a step back from the boy. 

 

“Wh-What? I’m not cute…” She said out of impulse. It’s the first time someone called her “cute”. The name they usually call her is “weirdo”... or something more harsh than that!

 

“Huh? I didn’t say anything…” Daiki countered. His brows furrowed and he squinted his eyes. 

 

“Did she just read my mind?” Daiki thought, but of course, Amu also heard this. 

 

“No! I didn’t read your mind! You’re imagining stuff” In panic, she accidentally revealed her secret to Daiki - the secret that no one knows except her and her parents. 

 

“Wah! She did it again! She read my mind…” Daiki kept talking inside his head without actually saying the words out loud. He took a step forward and limit the distance between him and Amu. The girl, on the other hand gulped in nervousness. Her heart was beating so fast that she could’ve sworn it would've just burst out from her chest. Will this be the day her secret will finally be revealed? She’ll be dead!

 

“I-I need to go. I’ll be late for class!” Amu pushed Daiki slightly and hurriedly took her bag before heading towards the door. 

 

 

“She’s… cute…”

 

 

After tending his injury, Daiki forced himself towards their homeroom. Every Tuesdays and Thursdays, their Adviser usually gather students with different majors under his care to discuss topics, announcements and concerns. 

 

“Dude… You’re late” Ryosuke greeted his best friend who just entered the room. Daiki waved back and soon joined his friends in their conversation. “You’re lucky though, Mr Takahisa is not in yet”

 

Daiki looked around the room and saw usual faces. He usually hangs around Ryosuke, Kamiki and Jingi during homeroom, however, his gaze landed on a familiar figure sitting peacefully at the corner of the room. He then elbowed both Kamiki and Jingi to try and catch their attention. 

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Do you know that girl?” Daiki used his lips to point at Amu. 

 

“Kitagawa Amu?” Seeing where Daiki was pointing, Jingi confirmed the identity of the girl. “The “Weirdo”?”

 

“Weirdo? That’s a bit mean to say” Ryosuke pointed out, a bit annoyed that his friends can be insensitive sometimes. 

 

“No no! Everyone knows her… She’s weird. She has no friends and doesn't really talk to anyone. There’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter