Foretold

Appearances Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Solar didn't know how to react. Her hands were shaking and she didn't care about the heat circling around the two of them. She didn't pay attention to the scorching rays of the sun that fell on the both of them through the cracks of the trees. The woman who stood before her sighed, looking away with guilt swimming in her eyes. Solar couldn't read what exactly Hyejin, or Hwasa, wanted to say to her. But at this very moment, Solar didn't give a damn. Right in front of her, stood a friend she thought was long dead 2 years ago. 

"I didn't plan on letting you know like this." Hwasa started, "But it was the only way."

"Wh-why didn't you come back?" Was all Solar can get out. She wanted to say more, she wanted to reach her arms out and feel the body of her beloved friend. But for some odd reason, her feet stayed glued to the ground. Her back held close against the carriage. 

Hwasa sighed, "That's a long story. But right now, I can't tell you that." She breathed in, the younger woman looking up with concern, "The empire is planning something Solar, big things. You know how corrupt the core empire is and how they'll do anything for power. Right now, there are four empires that Roe Shin wants. And one of those, are yours."

Solar's eyes widened. Roe Shin was a man of great power, he held the biggest empire in his hand by pushing his way up onto the top. He may seem like an admirable man, but he's nothing but a scum who craves for power and gets it by killing or torturing his opponents. It's disgusting, and Solar despises him more than anyone else. Had it not been for her well trained imperial army, she probably would've been dead years ago. Roe Shin is a well capable man and he isn't one to understimate, however, he is so blinded with his obsession that sometimes he acts irrational. Which can turn into an advantage if Solar ever gets the chance to confront him face to face. 

"What does that have to do with you being here then?" Solar didn't intend to sound harsh, but her sharp tone spoke otherwise. Hwasa took a step back, startled that the heiress has turned it back to her again.

"You need to be protected."

Solar tilted her head the slightest bit, of course she was appreciative that Hwasa was willing to protect her, but she had her soldiers standing by her side. She didn't want to catch up on the lost 2 yers with Hwasa by having the young woman work under her. That situation didn't really sit well with Solar. "I have my men, there's no need to get more." Solar muttered, still unsure of how to approach this whole scene.

Hwasa looked away, "Even if Moonbyul unnie were to help you?"

Now that.

That threw Solar off.

Her heart fell to her stomach. That's right. The night Hwasa had passed was the same night she found Moonbyul buried deep under a mound of rocks. That horrifying sight that will never leave her eyes again. "Wh-What-"

Hwasa sighed, "If I'm alive, then you should know that Byul is too." She muttered, her breath held in considering she didn't exactly know how the heiress would react to such big news. If it hadn't been for the carriage sitting behind Solar, she probably would've fallen back due to the sudden slap about the truth. Solar didn't know if she wanted to feel scared, worried, or even frustrated. 

"Where is...she?" Solar's voice came out as merely a whisper. She yearned for Moonbyul's touch again, her arms s around her waist. 

Hwasa looked away, her eyes held this expression that was far too confusing for the heiress to comprehend. "As much as I would love to tell you, unnie, I don't know as well. The last time I saw her was a year and a half ago." The younger woman huffed, leaning against a tree, her arms crossed. 

Solar felt her heart falter at the news, disappointed that Moonbyul's familiar touch is still far away from her. But at least it isn't as far as she thought. Solar shook away these thoughts, hoping to focus on whatever is really important at the moment rather than dwelling on a matter she knew will take a while to solve. The heiress looked up at her friend, seeing the livened cat eyes stare back at her as well, "That's fine. We need to think of what the problem is than thinking about Byul." She didn't mean for that statement to result in such a cold tone, however it wasn't avoided.

Hwasa was taken back by the sudden tone but didn't question any of it. Before Solar could even move from her spot, Hwasa pushed herself off of the tree, "I don't think you understand, Unnie. We need Moonbyul."

"Hwasa-" Solar felt relief as she could finally say that name without having to look back at the supposed death of said woman, "-I want to see her as well. However, letting feelings interfere with such a big problem would only escalate thin-"

"No." Hwasa's voice shook through the trees and her voice was as stern as it could be, basically enough to force Solar to pause, "No one will be able to protect you, especially since Shin's gained more influence over the two years I was gone." The term - gone - struck a chord in the heiress' heart, though she decided to ignore her rather distracting emotions regarding the fact that her friend who is still alive. 

"And so? Moonbyul doesn't have anything to do with that-" 

"Moonbyul has seen Shin's empire." Hwasa growled, "She's been through the empire's cruel ways, Moonbyul has seen the torture herself and felt it herself." Hwasa added, each word giving shock to Solar.

"Wh-What?"

Hwasa breathed in, as if to calm her own nerves, "Moonbyul knows the empire, to the core, best." Hwasa looked away, "And because of the torture she's been through, Moonbyul became a rogue assassin, in a way. She knows how to kill, unnie. Listen to me-" The younger woman looked up at the heiress, her eyes staring right into Solar's, "-Moonbyul is someone we need to rely on because, ultimately, she's extremely talented in combat. Additionally, you're the only person I know who can bring colour back into her life." Hwasa muttered.

Solar had no idea how to process this information. For one, she felt furious. Anger pooling at the bottom of her stomach as she just now found out that the empire had mistreated someone incredibly special to her. But on the other hand, she felt fear caving in her subconscious thoughts. Was it because of the issue? No, it was certainly more than that. Solar was afraid of meeting Moonbyul again. Yes, she's always yearned for those eyes, for that star quality smile, but she was guilty. Too guilty, and Solar didn't feel that she was even considered worthy enough to stand in front of her.

"Solar, please." Hwasa pleaded, looking at the heiress with slight desperation. Reluctantly, Solar nodded, though she couldn't help but keep shut considering she really had no more words left to mutter out. "We need to go back to your kingdom first." 

"What? If I go back, people will know there's something wrong. That will only cause silent panic and that wouldn't be a good first step to take." Solar reiterated, finally speaking words.

Hwasa shrugged, "I know. But, if we go during midnight then no one would really know."

Solar sighed, "Do you really think Wheein would leave my throne unattended?" The mention of Wheein was enough to make Hwasa stop for a minute and Solar could see the hint of guilt flash amongst her eyes. The heiress was going to say something, but she figured this wouldn't be the right time.

"True." Hwasa hummed, "Then let's go to your actual bedroom. I mean, you never really allow anyone in there, even Wheein, so.." Hwasa trailed off, as if asking for permission.

"But-"

"Oh for goodness sake, Solar. I'm not going to steal anything or look at anything, ok? Can we just go? This is a little urgent." Hwasa grumbled, growing impatient with the lack of response to the suggestion. 

Solar wanted to protest, opening to reiterate any excuse she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter