Feeling Blue (the past six years)

If It's Not You
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

6 years ago

 

The first time she admits to everyone that she likes Irene her heart sank deeper than the Titanic.

 

It was right after the Christmas Party and one of their classmates invited everyone over for drinks. Currently, they’re playing Truth or Shot seated in a circle. Irene is diagonally across her, sipping her mixed drink quietly between her two best friends.

 

The moment Wendy sees the question she just fished out from the bowl, her friend scoffs and chuckles, already knowing the answer.

 

Wendy’s eyes dart to Irene and she swallows when she sees her looking back. They’ve been texting for a while, exchanging conversation enough to be called friendly. Has she noticed by now that she’s absolutely enamored by her?

 

“Read the question aloud,” one of the guys urged.

 

Wendy nods with a sigh. “Who's your crush in our class?”

 

Taking another glance at the prettiest girl in the room, she speaks without a hitch.

 

“Irene.”

 

Most of the group is delighted, someone finally admitting a truth instead of taking a shot. Some were surprised, others were simply glad. But their cheers and voices were drowned out in Wendy’s panic as she stares at Irene with nothing but shock painting her face.

 

 

5 years ago

 

Wendy realizes how stubborn Irene is as she tugs her hair in frustration. One moment, she tells her she wants to be friends, and in another, shuts her out.

 

She knows that Irene isn’t ready for any relationship. Wendy has seen her nurse her hopeless crush a few months ago. Watching her blush red at the slightest remark from the older girl was torture. She was just leading her on and Wendy could not wait until the day she finally graduates.

 

But even as she leaves and Irene moves on, she is still unsure. The fact does not bother Wendy. What irks her is her reason.

 

“I cannot give you what you want from me.” Irene says apologetically, looking down at her shoes.

 

“I want nothing but a chance,” she replies. Irene sighs and Wendy’s heart drops lower. Despite that, she continues talking.

 

“Let’s be friends first. And if it still doesn’t work out, it’s fine. I just want a chance.”

 

Irene looks up to her eyes for a second before breaking contact once more.

 

“Okay. Friends first.”

 

Irene continues to be cold and guarded. Wendy could not stop trying to knock her walls down.

 

 

4 years ago

 

They’re at a friend’s house two hours away from the city. The weather is much colder and the place a lot calmer than the bustling city they grew up in. The group of friends is playing a game now and everyone’s pretty much getting drunk.

 

Irene’s laugh is loud and her face is tinted pink. She gets up to grab a box of pizza but she almost stumbles on her way. She continues to laugh.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter