50: Don't be Selfish

Calm Down Tiger

 

Donghae’s POV

 

I want to cry—I want to break down—but I don’t have to be that emotional especially when the strongest person I’ve known is on his most fragile state right now. He is still looking far and not speaking a thing since he told me that he wanted to go back to Korea already. By now, his Umma and Appa probably have an idea that there’s something wrong with their sons because they saw Hyukkie crying just now and also Captain—and above all, White introduced himself as Captain’s boyfriend.

 

Hyukkie and I have been sitting here in the coffee table at the back door. “Hae~” he called my name with his hoarse voice already. I know he is tired already, “Neh?” I answered back but Hae is not facing me still looking at the distance, “Are you—getting tired of me—already?” I am not sure where he get the idea but—“Hyukkie—when I was at the lowest point of my life and I don’t have a stable job—did you get tired of me?” I asked him with the most serious tone I can master up. Hyukkie shakes his head, “I love you~” he said, “And I love you too~” I said.

 

There are things that you don’t need to elaborate already to know the answer. Our synchronize breathing sounds so peaceful in my ears and the cold night breeze feels so good to my skin. I was looking up in the sky when I heard the soft creaking sound of the door behind us, “Excuse me~” then Hangeng hyung’s voice. I smile knowing that the closest parents material to me are here with us, “Do you mind if we disturb you?” He asked again. Hyung has this calming effect on me which is very opposite to Heechul hyung—I am not saying that hyung makes me nervous but the two of them are emitting two different personas.

Hyukkie didn’t even look at them but both hyungs are already in front of me after a while. Heechul hyung mouthed me a quick, “Is he okay?” and I shake my head in return. They both sigh as Hangeng hyung decided to pull a chair and sit next to Hyukkie. He put his arm on Hyukkie’s shoulder, “You know Hyuk—when Heechul told me about a Thai guy he met in the office, I was a bit hesitant to meet you,” hyung started and Hyukkie sigh too, “I don’t know anyone who lives in Thailand and I am not sure how you’re going to react about my unusual family so I’d rather not risk getting my Chullie get hurt when he gets so attach to his starting friendship with you,” Heechul hyung sit beside me and grab my clapped hands, “Listen carefully, neh?” he whispered to me.

 

“I was too busy providing by my small family that I didn’t know I was neglecting my daughter anymore and she grew more attached to you. I thought, ‘Am I a failure?’ because Heemi keeps on talking about her fun weekend with you and with Donghae—and I am so sorry for judging you so much even before getting to know you better.” I don’t have any idea about this and Heechul hyung won’t probably even tell me even if I beg for it—that’s how loyal he is to Hangeng hyung. “My family—became your family too and my Chullie became your hyung—and my Heemi became your playmate—and our Donghae became your world. That moment I knew I should give you permission to be part of my family and be a second father to both you and Donghae.” Hyukkie didn’t say anything—nothing at all.

 

Hyung suddenly laugh, “Maybe Heemi likes you more than he likes me because I am always busy and yet you always have time to bring her to wherever she wanted to go every weekend. You don’t have any idea how grateful am I to you Hyuk—and now—this is my chance—” hyung stopped and look behind, “Our chance—” I smile at their small interaction before Hangeng hyung look in front again, “To be a good hyung to you just like what a good oppa you are to our Heemi.” It’s incredible how much Hangeng hyung loves Heemi, “Maybe what your brother Captain did is wrong. He did disobey you—twice. You are perfect just as you are but Hyuk—there’s something in life that we cannot control—like how your brother fall in love with a person you don’t want for him. Captain is already old to make his own decisions and to regret most of his decisions and as an adult—we should guide them Hyuk and not discourage them,” Hyukkie suddenly move closer to hyung, “What if—it’s Heemi—what if she finds a boyfriend—and you don’t want him for her? What would you do hyung?” the he turned the table.

 

Between Heechul hyung and Hangeng hyung, there’s one over protective person—and that is Hangeng hyung, “My daughter is still young—she’s only 16 internationally and she’s very naïve. She easy finds crushes and them dump those crushes later and find a new one. She doesn’t even have proper idea about love and probably she knows about love by books and movies—but—if she will find love and fight for it—with the same passion as White and Captain—then what rights do I have to stop them? Above all being a father Hyuk—what’s important to me is my daughter’s happiness. If I am being strict right now, that’s because I know in the future she will be taken away from us—but I cannot prevent the future. I cannot keep Heemi with us forever. We cannot chain her and not let her meet people and we cannot restrict her who she will fall in love and who to love.” I am glad—because there are people willing to talk to Hyukkie right now.

 

Again, he sighs, “Just how bad—did I do hyung?” but I hate how he blames himself now, “You didn’t do anything bad Hyuk—you just love Captain—and that love will always be there. I hope you will find courage to accept their relationship in the future. No one is forcing you to do it now, you have all the time in the world but right now—I want you to be open minded—just like how you open your eyes to my family and just how you love my family,” and finally like a cue, both Heechul hyung and Hangeng hyung pat our back before standing up.

 

Before even walking out the door, Heechul hyung announced something, “We are going to China for a week—Hangeng’s parents want to see Heemi and both Heemi and I will be back here by Sunday. I hope by the time we comeback her Hyuk, you will be less stubborn and be more open minded,” and then they are both gone. I shake my head because it looks like I need to do my best this time.

 

‘This is about you Donghae and how you are going to make those brothers be okay again!’

 


 

After a while, Hyukkie and I went inside our room again. Yes, he needs me now and I cannot be stubborn too. I decided to go back to our room but what shocked me is Hyukkie’s parents. When we entered the room, both of them are sitting at the both edges of Hyukkie’s bed, “I should—” “No na kah dear, you should be here~” I was about to take my leave but I saw the horror in Hyukkie’s eyes and his Umma stopped me.

 

I pulled the chairs that once used by Captain and White and we both sit on it. Like we are inside the library, no one is talking.

 

“Hyuk—Niran,” I got nervous by the sound of Hyukkie’s name coming from his Appa. Hyukkie sighs, “Khrab, Pa,” he quickly grabs my hands on my lap and squeeze it, “I am so disappointed na khrab with you for not telling us that something is happening already to you and your brothers,” I getting chills already because even though they are speaking Thai, I was still able to understand them. Hyukkie really did his best to teach me before. “Pa—actually na khrab, I don’t want this to get to both of you because—” “My dear, you don’t need to shoulder all the burden na kah. We are your parents and we can also talk to your brother na kah~” his Umma cut him.

 

He squeezes my hands tighter this time, “I know Mae—Pa—that’s why I decided na khrab to go back to Korea already,” I close my eyes hearing that from him again. I don’t want Hyukkie to go back to Korea like this. His Pa suddenly hit the bed but of course it won’t make any noise, “We didn’t raise you Niran to run away na khrab from the problem. What happened to my most courageous son?” I open my eyes and still feel the tension in the air. “Pa, I did wrong na khrab. I admitted already—so let me go back already. I am hurting many people na Pa and I know that you won’t be happy about me,” the burden and regret in Hyuk’s heart is too overwhelming.

 

“Hyuk—listen to Mae kah,” his Umma has her pleading eyes already on Hyukkie, “When you told us na kah that you love Ai’Donghae—we didn’t stop you na kah because the smile on your face and the visible happiness to you on that time and day is the kind of happiness that your Mae and Pa wanted for you.” Hi Appa sighs deeply, “We accepted you Hyuk without judging you na khrab and we will always do the same to your brother and even to Ai’Gun if he will have a girlfriend—or even a boyfriend. All we want Hyuk is to see all of you happy—so don’t be selfish to restrict your brother na khrab from having his happiness.”

 

Then suddenly, I feel nervous when both of Hyuk’s parents look at me, “Your Ai’Wife is part of our family now Hyuk and so is your Ai’Cap’s boyfriend. We don’t want you to fight over a small matter na khrab again in the future,” Hyukkie’s grip is getting weaker now, “Above all—thank you Donghae—for standing up next to our Niran,” his Mae said and that time all the burden inside my chest and the feeling of insecurity for not being part of Hyukkie’s family was lifted. I know I am part of this now—and I know there’s no turning back.

 

I smile right away before saying, “Mae khrab—Pa khrab—is it okay if Hyukkie and I will go on a long vacation tomorrow? I will make sure to bring back your son—the old Hyukkie!” I am not sure how but all I know is I need to make sure that Hyuk will have peace of mind and the vacation he deserves.

 


 

Okay, the drama is almost over