Just Namjoon.

Only Fools Fall for You

Finally he got a day off. He loved his life, his job, everything about being RM, but after months on tour, he really needed some time alone. All the members felt that way so they had parted ways right after breakfast. They had all tried to cook together, a rare treat of homeliness that as per usual ended up in chaos. The fact that they were cooking in someone else’s kitchen, since they were staying in an AirBnB, probably didn’t help either. Jin and Yoongi somehow managed to whip up something edible for all the guys, so they all left well-fed towards whatever they each had planned for their days.

Namjoon only wanted to discover yet another new town, so he spent the day wandering through the streets, occasionally popping into a shop for this and that.

This time, they had played a concert in Gothenburg, in Sweden, so the weather in Septembre was quite cold for his standards. Everybody in town was bundled up and covering their faces against the wind, so his features were easily hidden against the views of anyone who might recognize him.

After walking around town for a few hours, he decided to take a break at a record store that seemingly also had a little café and some seats where customers could listen to some of the albums for sale.

He found a table in a lonely corner and left his bag and jacket there “claiming” it for himself.

The shop was fairly empty, as to be expected on a monday in septembre. So he didn't worry about being recognized, and just went on to browse the endless shelves of records. With a low chuckle he discovered the “K-Pop” section. It was obvious that K-Pop had not quite reached this country yet, no matter how huge it already was in other parts of europe. The “section” only consisted of one shelf which was 90% BTS and then some BlackPink. He quickly moved on to the more general selection, getting stuck, as always, on Rap.

 

“Hej, behöver du nån hjälp?”, he hears a voice behind him.

 

“Huh, sorry?”, he turns around, slightly startled by the store’s clerk, a girl around his age.

 

“Oh, sorry! I just asked if you need some help? Are you looking for anything in specific?” She smiles broadly, and as his surprise ebbes off, he notices more about her, the vintage jeans and red converse she’s wearing. Suppressing a laugh, he notes the sweater she’s wearing, which sports a print saying “Seduce and Destroy”.

 

“Haha it’s fine, I am just looking around a bit. You guys have a huge selection here so I’m just taking my time. Thank you, though.”

 

“Ok sure, just holla if you need something.” A short pause …..”Oh, by the way, I moved your stuff behind the counter …. a group of teens came in and you can never be too careful. So, yea, don’t worry it’s not stolen, just protected.”, she smiles at him again, his breath catching in his throat.

 

“ Ah, I didn’t think of that, thank you!”, trying to think of things to say to keep her in a conversation, he blurts out: “What’s your favourite artist? I have been looking through the collection here but still ended up with my old faves, I think I need some new jams. Any recommendations?”

 

She laughs, and looking around the store she heads straight for the pop section.

 

“Okay, now don’t be judgemental but this dude right here, Troye Sivan, he is incredible. I saw you with Kanye and Eminem albums so I reckon Troye is a bit different from what you usually listen to, but i recommend him 100%!” She holds up an album “Blue Neighbourhood” and another one “Bloom”.

 

“I will check out whatever you recommend, you’re the pro!”

 

“I’ll set up a listening booth for you with his albums and bring you back your stuff.”, she grins triumphantly. “As I said before, just holla if you want or need anything else.”

 

A few minutes later he is set up in a booth, just as she said. To top it off, he got some coffee.

Coincidentally, from his booth, he can see her workplace, the bar that is half register half café bar, so he (not-so-sneakily) watches her as she works, interacting with customers and shooting him the occasional smile or even wink.

As the music stops he realizes he didn’t even notice any lyrics or melodies, too entranced by the cute barista/clerk. “Ah …” he mutters to himself, trying to figure out how to restart the album as she comes walking over.

 

“What did you think? His voice is pretty amazing, huh?”

 

“Unfortunately I was a bit distracted, I didnt manage to catch much of the music.”

 

“Oh sorry, that must be my fault, huh?” Another wink. It must be his lucky day.

“How ‘bout you join me at the bar. I can just show you some general recommendations and if you want you can show me some of your faves. Maybe something more interesting than Kanye and Eminem?”, she smiles at him again.

 

Is she flirting? No, it’s her job to be nice to customers, she is being cute for tips.

 

“Sure, show me all your favourites. I promise I will buy one album from your recommendations. I’ll finish my coffee and then I’ll join you.”, he smirks.

 

Whatever this is, a proper flirt or just a nice store clerk, he is having fun. And that’s what today is about. He already bought way too much stuff just by getting lost in all the different shops, he might as well spend his afternoon hanging out with a cute girl. Not RM, not the leader of BTS. Just some guy who likes music. Easy.

 

As he is sipping his coffee, he pulls out his phone to check what the others are up to.

 

Hobi: “Why the is it so cold here?”

Jin: “We are in Scandinavia, if u didnt notice. It’s cold here….”

Tae: “Stop being a Hoseok” *image attached of the maknae line eating ice cream by the seashore*

Hobi: “….”

 

Namjoon can’t help but laugh, everything is as usual. Yoongi has sent him a rough mockup of a track for the next album and he plays it while checking the personal chats with the other members.

 

JK: “Hyung where r u”

JK: “We are somewhere at the seashore, Tae just kinda went off track somewhere….”

JK: “turns out we were just like 1 street away from a bus stop so, uh, no need to    worry… we found our way to some ice cream”

JK: “since i can see youre not even reading these i guess youre having a good time. Cya”

 

He rolls his eyes, of course the youngest ones almost got lost in another foreign country. He quickly types an answer.

Looking up from his phone, he catches Her staring at him. She winks at him and pats the bar in front of her. He shoots her a quick smile back and gets back to checkin in on the guys.

 

Yoongi: “new track mayb w jin & hobi??? U decide”

Joon: “ sounds good, we can work on it together when we get back”

 

After checking that the members are having a good day, he quickly takes some selcas to post for ARMY later.

 

“Done sending selfies to your girlfriend?”, the girl smiles at him as he sets down his bag at the bar, taking a seat right in front of her.

“No girlfriend, just…. family. They always want to see that I am having fun no matter where I am.”

“How sweet! Well, if you promise that you don’t have a girlfriend or boyfriend I’ll introduce myself. I’m y/n. I am a student here but originally from y/h/c. Nice to meet you!”, her eyes sparkle as she smiles at him again, and he almost forgets to answer.

 

“I’m Namjoon, I’m visiting here from Korea for a few days.” He holds his hand out but exactly at that moment a customer comes to the register, so she turns away with an apologetic look.

 

She returns a few minutes later: “How ‘bout I put on my favourites on the store radio and you make me a little playlist of yours so I can check out what hot korean boys listen to. Show me some stuff I don’t know yet!” A small laugh and she bounces off again, fixing two coffees and soon he hears a synth riff playing on the speakers.

With a wide grin y/n comes twirling towards him, holding two iced coffees. Before he can think he is grinning at her and bouncing along to the music.

 

“This one’s on me, Namjoon. Don’t worry.”, she says as he holds out his card.

 

“I guess I am gonna have to buy you a drink later to make up for it.”, he laughs and takes the coffee.

Leaning on the bar, she watches him click away on his phone with a smile. His playlist slowly takes shape as he keeps stopping to properly listen to her music.

 

“Oh, wait! I just remembered, I actually know one korean artist, maybe you like his stuff. Let me just put it on for you.” A few seconds later he hears the notes he would recognize anywhere and almost bursts out laughing.

 

*we’re born in the moonlight… ain’t a fantasy*