Chapter 1: The Scent of Orange Blossoms

The Scent of Orange Blossoms

Jeongguk stared at the clock on the wall, his mind was on the strange occurrence dream he has been having for the past month. Since he turned twenty-one, last month, but it seemed like the dream was getting frequent as time passes. He could not make sense of it. It would start the same and end the same, with a face, he was positive he has never seen before. But maybe it those scientific phenomena of strange dreams involving someone you have seen for a split second since the mind cannot make up a face. The red point of the watch seemed to slow down by each second, and he felt suffocated. The dream was vivid- he could taste the lingering scent in the air, it was familiar. It was orange blossom, the state flowers for Florida even though he has never been to Florida, the smell was no unique, it was used in perfume. And yet, as he inhales the air, there was nothing, just strong smells of other scents, no one was wearing orange blossom. The smell came from an unfamiliar face with bright pink hair.

The dream always ended abruptly- it was a movie put on replay. It played in his memories, over and over. It was overwhelming, and he would wake up drained and restless since then, he’d been experiencing… flashes of things and it would be as if time itself had stopped.

 

He sighs. His attention turning back to the overhead, trying to listen to Mr. Miles, the creative writing professor at CalArts. He turns to his friend, Kim Taehyung who seemed lost in his own world of doodling’s, and next to him, sat his other friend, Ariana, who was scrolling through her twitter instead of taking notes.  

Finally, the clock strikes eight-thirty, Professor Miles reminded everyone of the 8 to 10 pages, that was due next week, on Monday. He dismissed the class, even though half of the students were already packed, ready to leave. One would assume, they were locked there for a century and it has only been one hour and thirty minutes, the standard for a college course unless it’s a lab or a workshop.

Jeongguk quickly put his stuff in his backpack, they had a ten-minute walk across campus towards his second class, anthropology, another useless class he had to take for his degree.

He waits for his friends since they the same classes except for his Film related classes. Taehyung was an art major and Ariana dance major.

 

As they walk towards their class, Ariana was going on about the Halloween parties that were being planned by sororities and fraternities clubs. Clubs Jeongguk wanted nothing to do with, along with Taehyung, even though they have had many organizations approach them. They had been to those kinds of parties before, but Ariana was not going to let it happen. As much as she loved parting, she hated attended them alone.

They turn the corner, the cultural science building in view and there was a slight breeze that caused the hair on his nape to stand. And then it happened again, the flashes, and the scent. Then a figure.

Not to clear but enough to tell it was a person, far away, on a tall nearby building. He looks around, wondering why no one else was paying attention to him.  Everyone was trying to hustle to their next class, some home and some were off to eat probably. Jeongguk closed his eyes for a moment, took a deep, shaky breath, and opened his eyes. The man was gone, and so was the scent.

“Dude!” calls Taehyung, who just realized that they had left him behind. Jeongguk shakes his head, confused to when his friends were so far ahead. Not remembering ever stopping.

“What’re you doing?” adds Ariana, as Taehyung and her exchange puzzled looks. Jeongguk exhales, glancing towards the building again. Nothing.

What the hell is wrong with me?

 

***

When he got home after hours of classes, no one was home. He lived with his uncle, Kim Seokjin, his mother’s younger brother. His uncle was had gotten a job as an advisor at CalArts, not sure why since he only found out about it, at the last minute. He had a feeling his mother put Seokjin up to it since she never wanted him to go aboard in the first place. He hated it at first but then he was glad, staying with him at his apartment was better than living in a dorm.

He took off his backpack and tosses it on the bed while taking off his shoes. Exhausted, he lies down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. He had to start on Mr. Miles assignment, but he had a headache.

He yawns. He shuts his eyes. He was back at the unknown place. The moon hung over his head. He glances around. He was top of a building, near the edge of the roof. Then the air was filled with fragrance, strong and intense. His stomach clenched. Intoxicating. He glances back, one move and he would fall off. He turns back. A pink haired boy stood five feet away from him. Silent. He was unimaginable.

 The boy’s mouth moved but nothing came out. Jeongguk leans forward. Nothing.

 

He woke up to his cellphone ringing and vibrating in his pants. He sighs. Dazzled, as the smell of orange blossom fills the air around him. He found himself breathless. His heart pounding against his chest. He sits up, pulling his cellphone out of his pocket. He stares at the cell. It was a forgotten alarm.

He turns off the alarm, staring at the time in the corner. Two hours passed by. His head was throbbing. He exhales, taking a deep breath.

 

Jeongguk makes his way towards the kitchen, he could hear movement. Seokjin was home.

“Hey,” he says.

“Hey,” says Seokjin, “I ordered Chinese.”

“Again,” replies Jeongguk.

“You look like . Are you okay?”

“I don’t know…I have just been having a hard time sleeping.  My head is killing me.”

“Really? Any reason why?” asks Seokjin, putting down the chopstick, “What’s wrong?”

“I’ve been having a strange dream,” he says, “Do we have Tylenol or something?” Seokjin gazes at him with gentle concern. He opens the refrigerator and pulls out a bottle, Tylenol. He hands it to Jeongguk with a bottle of water.

“What kind of dream is it?”

“That’s just it, it’s so strange. I’m standing at the edge of a roof, not sure where, it’s fuzzy but the smell, it’s so strong, I could taste it.”

“What smell?”

“Orange blossom, and then I see this boy. His face is clear as day, pink hair and alluring,” says Jeongguk with a small smile, “He is so beautiful.”

“Pink hair and orange blossom…” say Seokjin, his voice trailing off, “No way.”

Jeongguk stares at him. confused.

“What do you mean no way?”

“What?”

“You said no way? Do you know who I’m talking about?”

“Of course not,” replies Seokjin, “Um…you probably just saw him around campus. That’s it?”

“Well, yeah, we stare at each other and then I wake up,” he replies.

“That’s strange,” says Seokjin, “I’m gonna go shower. You should eat before the food gets cold.”

“Um…okay,” replies Jeongguk, as Seokjin walks out of the kitchen, in rush.

Jeongguk gazes at the Tylenol bottle. “I must’ve creeped him out too,” he mutters to himself.

***

“So, we’re going to the party on Thursday, right?” asks Ariana, as they sit down at an empty table in the middle of the student center.

“Well, do we have a choice?” teases Taehyung.

Ariana smiles, “Not really but we live in a democracy, so thought I could at least let you voice your opinion.”

“You’re such a ,” replies Taehyung, laughing.

“Yeah,” she says laughing, “You’re quiet.”

“Huh?” says Jeongguk.

“Yeah, you’ve been weird all week,” adds Taehyung.

“I’m fine,” he replies, “Too many projects for Film.”

“Oh, that ,” says Ariana, “Is that why you were MIA this weekend?”

“I also had the paper to finish for Mr. Miles,” he replies.

“Procrastinating,” says Taehyung, “Doesn’t sound like you.”

“I’m just tired.”

“But you’re still going to the Halloween Party, the HipHop Club is hosting it this year.”

“Yeah, sure, I have time,” he says.

“Awesome,” says Ariana, “Let’s eat.”

“Yes, we were waiting for you to stop talking,” says Taehyung. She glares at him, playfully punching his shoulders, “That’s assault.”

“So, sue me,” she says, punching him again. Jeongguk laughs, shaking his head, “Ya’ll better dress up.”

***

Halloween came faster, then Jeongguk anticipated. He decided to go with a Ghostface mask from the movie Scream with a black hood, and jeans. Ariana was dressed as Harley Quinn, from the custom to the hair, and of course, she got Taehyung to dress up like the joker.

The Hip-hop was hosting the party, inside the dance studio, it was large enough to host half of the school and it was near the football field, so the party also continued outside. They squeezed their way through the swaying, drunk and sweaty people, following Ariana’s lead. She was acquittances with the people from the hip-hop club because she has classes with them. She was greeting left and right, as she waves and smiles at the people shouting her name. Jeongguk wondered how she knew who was talking to her since almost everyone wearing costumes.

 

Jeongguk sips his beer, it was hot, and he had his mask off. He was a bottle in, and so far, he was regretting agreeing to come to the party. He had no idea where Ariana was, and Taehyung had found some of his art club friends and was talking to them. He didn’t want to be the outcast, so he left him alone, with the excuse of grabbing a drink.

“Hey!” he hears. He looks up and sees an unfamiliar girl dressed as a nurse, more skin than clothes. The girl stumbled towards him. Beer splashed out of her cup, as she tries to collect herself. Jeongguk glances around, searching for his friends but they were nowhere to be seen.

“Hi. I like your costume,” she says, with a smile, clearly drunk. Jeongguk rolls his eyes, annoyed,

“Thanks,” he replies, trying to come up with an excuse to walk away.

“So, you’re friends with Ariana, right?”

He glances around.

“Um…yeah, look, I’m gonna go outside for a minute,” he says, walking away before she had a chance to say anything else. He didn’t want to act like a jerk, but he was not in the mood to deal with a drunk girl hitting on him. His head was starting to hurt again. He makes his way through the crowd of people and was outside. He inhales deeply, all of a sudden feeling nauseous. Did he move too quickly or had too much to drink? He wondered. He stared across the field; it was empty. It seemed like everyone was lingering around the studio. Was the field off limits after all? He wonders, turning back. His stomach was clenching tighter, and his head was throbbing, the pain felt like someone had taken a baseball to his skull, as everything around him started moving in slow motion and in circles. He squeezes his eyes tight, and the rest of the world became detached, he was at his last straw. He opens his eyes, inhaling and exhaling, the people around watching him with freaked out looks. He exhales loudly and decides to go home, having had enough.

 

As the studio was becoming a distant memory, his head was feeling a little better- the throbbing lessened. The campus was illuminated by the full moon, and with a lamppost at some corner. He lived across the street, so he decided to walk. Clenching his mask in one head, he was regretting leaving his friends without saying goodbye, but he was on the verge of passing out. What was he supposed to do? He would rather they be mad for ditching them than end up going viral because he throws up in front of everyone or passed out. His parents and Seokjin would be disappointed if that ever happens.

The night was chiller than Jeongguk excepted. He looked ahead and smiles as he spots the streets just a few more steps. The pathway was illuminated by a single streetlight, but everything else was dark, it was only eleven o’clock, but it seemed like there was no soul around. A buzzing filled the air, and he felt his heart hammered and goosebumps on his arm. He shivers. The sensation was new to him. In a split moment, he could hear everything, smell everything, and see for miles, ahead. His body tensed and he came to a halt. Everything spinning again. He closes his eyes, then it hits him- the scent of orange blossom, stronger than he ever smelled. He felt like he was standing in a shimmering garden oasis with a hint of water lilies and orange blossom. When he opened his eyes, a figure stood in front of him. His mouth and eyes open wide. He felt his heart skip a beat, and body warm. Frozen. As his eyes focus on the boy in front of him. The single streetlight showed him clear as day or was it his vision.

No way, he thought.

The boy standing in front of him was the same man from his dreams- he wore black leather pants, with a white t-shirt that was tucked in his pants, with a black belt and a leather jacket. His pink hair looked crimson. He looked like a biker. Jeongguk could not believe his eyes. The boy that has been hunting his dreams was standing in front of him. Or was this another dream? He contemplated. Jeongguk put him around the same height as him, from where he was standing. But it was difficult to judge his age, though he looked young. He seemed so familiar, as if he had met him before, but couldn’t recall when or where. Even his energy felt familiar. Then he heard a blade being whisked out of its sheath- it was a silver sword, with black leather, handle. He held the blade to the side like they do in video games like street fighter. Jeongguk swallows hard. He was not sure, what was happening? But whatever it was, he wanted to part of it, he was just wanted to go home. But he found himself frozen, almost like he was in no control of his body. The stranger’s dark eyes sparkled almost, and his mouth curved into a smirk.

“I thought you would be a lot more challenging,” he sneered. Jeongguk glances around, puzzled,

“Um…that’s a nice looking sword,” he manages to say. The air somehow changed, and he felt his body begin to tremble.

“I had planned to give you a fighting chance,” says the stranger taking a step towards him, “But, I change my mind.”

“Can I- help you?” stutters Jeongguk, still unable to move. Was this a Halloween prank? He began to wonder. The blade glistened from the moon with each step he took.

“You sound like a mortal,” he replies, “Is that fear, I sense?”

“Look, I don’t know who put up to this, but I’m not in the mood for pranks,” says Jeongguk, shivering again.

In a split second, the stranger vanished, and reappeared in front of him- his eyes were dark brown, a beautiful unique shade of light and dark. A gasp escapes his mouth, as pain pierces through his body. His eyes searched the eyes in front of him. His hands clenched the strangers' wrists, drenched in his blood. He smirked.

Terror filled Jeongguk, as his mind and body realized what just happened- he was stabbed. Time slowed.

The stranger ripped his blade back out, sending him back through the air with one kick- like a rag doll. Jeongguk screamed in horror and agony. His hoody was covered in blood. His breath came in ragged, shallow gasps, body trembling, in pain, he has never felt before.

What is this? What is going on? Why? his thoughts went in circles. It hurts. The pain was unbearable. This cannot be happening. This is not how-why? He heard footsteps, getting fainter, and further away. Someone helps me. Please!

 Everything went black, as tears streamed down his cheeks and he waited to die.

 

 Jeongguk was surrounded by darkness, strange noises. The air smelled like smoke and brimstone; the unmistakable stench left behind by an unknown source. He was in a strange place, a cave with fire. This was it, he thought this was death. He was in hell. Above him was a yellow ball of fire, he reaches his hand up, and then came a low rumble, then a growled. A familiar voice spoke to him- Wake up, my son, your time has just begun.

Before he could make sense of anything, something pitched him forward and the pain he expected never came.

Jeongguk sat up straight, gasping for air, he could hear his heartbeat. He felt misplaced. Confused. He felt like his soul was yanked out of his body. He quickly touches his stomach, smooth, and no pain. It took a few seconds for his vision to adjust. He chuckles, relieved but freezes when he looks down and sees his hoody covered with blood. His whole body trembled, feeling like he was going to puke, then he hears chattering. He looks around, realizing that he was not in his room. Panic started to settle in his belly, but he knew to panic was not the solution. He glances around, taking in the rest of the room, it was unfamiliar.

“Oh, you’re awake.”

Jeongguk gasps, and jumped out of the bed, standing against the wall, as he stares at the man in front of him. The light struck his handsome features, illuminating him, and then Jeongguk’s memories flashed before him. The man standing before him was his math Professor, Kim Namjoon.

Frantic and terrified, Jeongguk took two steps back, finding himself against the wall. Another footstep comes in, and it was his uncle, Kim Seokjin. Jeongguk feeling a wave of split emotions.

Was it all a dream?

You shouldn’t move around too much,” says his professor, “Your body suffered an incredible injury.” Jeongguk was struck by what he said.

So, it wasn’t a dream? I really was stabbed. But how am I still alive and breathing? He touches his stomach; how did I heal so quickly? What the is going on? His head spun. He hears Seokjin call his name and then it all went black. A loud thud fills the room.