The Q&A

Signature scars

A/N. Just so you know, the red lines imply that they're talking in French

 

Luhan steals a quick glance on his hand watch. He still has thirty minutes before the boarding time printed on the ticket. Turning on his heels, he’s heading to the café shop at the corner of the airport lobby, hoping adding caffeine shall help him get through this mess.

“One black coffee please”

He orders without looking up on the menu, giving credit card to the cashier. Right now, he needs something strong enough to activate brain cells to work beyond their limit.

“I want to know you better”

“W..what?”

“Just….give it a thought Luhan.”

The last conversation with Sehun has been playing inside his head like hundreds of times for the last two days and till today, he’s already gone crazy. As his boss’s wish, thinking about it was exactly what he’s been doing since their talk even though he had no idea what to conclude or to imply.

I want to know you better, Sehun’s voice vaguely turns into his own one as he keeps repeating it on his mind. What do you mean? Luhan regrets for not asking this important question instead of staring bewilderedly into the space in front of him. He didn’t have time to confirm with the Korean man about the hidden meaning when their meeting was cut off by a phone call and Sehun sent him back to work as he went out for the rest of the day. He didn’t even have a chance to talk to the other one because he was assigned to cooperate with technical company along with Minseok at their place.

The fact that someone wants to get closer to him is too personal and it makes Luhan shiver in anxiety. Since the day he set his feet on Seoul, he promised to himself a new refreshing life without looking back and so far it went really well. He kept on an image of a single, warmhearted man with bright personality so that no one ever wondered about his past. Of course the questions of why he left his home land to build a career in a foreign country or how came a generous person like him still being alone for all these years were occasionally raised here and there but he just simply laughed them off with some jokes. However, this time is different and it’s all because of the matter that someone is Sehun.

Luhan’s shoulder drops at the thought of his boss’s unusual request again. If he lets his guard down, nothing promises he won’t get hurt one more time. On the other hand, part of him doesn’t seem to kick against the option of letting the younger one step into his life.

The boarding call from the speaker yanks him out of his endless flow of thought. He slowly sighs, takes the last sip of his coffee then throws it into the nearest trash can before walking toward the gate. At least he still has the rest of the day to ponder on how he should face to Sehun when they meet up again tomorrow on the team building trip.

 

******

 

Jeju island welcomes him with a cloudy sky and strong winds. It’s only past three in the afternoon and the sun is nowhere to find. Luhan hails a cab in a rush to avoid the breeze playing with his coat. Today’s schedule is quite hectic and he can’t afford to lose a minute.

The whole trip to Jeju is an out-of-plan kind of thing. Even though he ensured Yixing to talk to the art director about the difficulty they had to deal with the one and only Kris Wu, Luhan chose the opposite option, to contact the collector by himself. He could tell Kris knew that he would call based on his calm, confident voice through the phone. It turned out Kris was willing to let the museum exhibit his Korean style collection. He even sounded excited when Luhan told him about the charity auction they would carry out at the same time and made a very promising offer to take part in. It’s right time for me to do some good deeds, he said as if their talk had enlightened his conscience. In return, he only had one condition.

“You fly to Jeju tomorrow?” Minseok squeals in surprise at the news the Chinese male has just whispered to his ear.

“Shhh…you’re too loud.” Luhan presses a finger against his lips and glowers at his colleague as he notices people around staring at them “And it’s no big deal. He asked me if I could come to evaluate the painting. You know that guy, he wants a good bargain.”

“Then you should make sure that jerk won’t have one.”

“Believe me, I wish.” he fakes a laugh, nudging the other one’s in his ribs “But it’s against our job’s ethics.”

“Oh, does it mean you can’t make to the trip this weekend?” Minseok sends him his sympathy

“Don’t worry. I’ll fly back that night so no problem.”

That was Luhan’s plan when he took this job and he crossed fingers that it would be smooth-going.

The cab drops him off at the Ramada Plaza Jeju, a coastal resort-type business hotel designed after the Northern European cruise ship. Kris and his business partners are staying here so they agree to meet up at the lobby lounge on the second floor before having a look on the art works in their suite. When Kris told him about the painting he was offered, Luhan paused at least ten seconds to hold back his enthusiasm. It’s “Girl in Front of Open Window” also known as La Fiancée, one of the seven paintings stolen from Kunsthal museum ten years ago. The thieves have not got caught yet and rumors say all of them have been destroyed. However, as a person working in this field since a very young age, Luhan knows for sure they’ll be found in black market and this event may prove him right.

Kris waves at him when he’s walking through the glass door of the café shop in the lobby. He notices some men sitting there are from another country, judging by their color.

“You come alone?”

Kris tilts his head aside to look over his shoulder, making the blond male turn back to see if he’s talking to someone else behind his back. Luhan doesn’t have time to respond to that question because Kris just shakes it off and pulls him closer to his level and introduces him to other people on the opposite side of the table.

“Gentlemen, this is Luhan. He’s the expert I told you about.” then he turns to Luhan and reaches out his hand to the rest as he’s speaking “And Luhan, these are Patrick, Martin and you remember our broker Jino, right?”

“Of course, I do” The Chinese man nods while shaking hand with each of them.

“So, let’s get to the business, shall we?” Kris waits until everyone take their seats, claps his hand eagerly “Like I said before, Luhan will do the examination on the painting. If it’s the real one, I’ll accept the offer you made yesterday.”

After the tallest one among of them finishes his saying, both Patrick and Martin averts his eyes to Jino’s, waiting for the translation. The broker wastes no time interpreting in a short yet full meaning sentence in French.

“Does it take a long time?” Patrick arches his brow doubtfully “That guy doesn’t look like an expert.”

Jino is about to open his mouth to translate but his voice is overwhelmed by Luhan’s.

Don’t worry, it won’t.” he smiles confidently to ensure the others “And for your information, I know Paul Gauguin’s works. I’ve done this before.”

Really?” Martin bends forward aggressively, starring at him with suspicion all over his face “Enlighten us please.

The mocking tone is easily sensed and to calm his partner down, Patrick quickly grabs his shoulder, flashing a sorry smile to the rest.

Excuse him, Luhan. He didn’t mean that.

I don’t mind.” the Chinese man chuckles, still keeps his eyes straight to the cocky one “And I’ll share my opinion when I see the painting.”

Witnessing the whole scene without understanding a word, Kris’s jaw drops unconsciously. He leans aside to whisper to the smaller one when he sees the sellers busy discussing to each other.

“I don’t know you speak French Luhan. You sound y.”

The inappropriate comment plus the hot breath on his neck sends shiver to Luhan. He gives Kris a sideway look in disgust and takes the initiative to spring up, gaining all the attention from the others.

Well, gentlemen. Shall we go now?”

They take his cue to stop talking, rise up from their seats. Luhan grabs his bag and turns around but his body is frozen at once when he sees a familiar feature standing right behind his chair. Everyone follows him to stop and exchanges query glint to each other. Kris is the first one step forward and reaches out for a hand shake.

“Ah, you must be the art director right? Nice to meet you, I’m Kris Wu.”

“Nice to meet you too.” Sehun politely replies yet his eyes are still gluing to the blond man who is dumbfounded in his spot. “Sorry for being late. My flight got delayed.”

 

******

 

They bow down to say good bye to Kris and his business partners when the big clock hanging on the main lobby points six. The authentication went really well and the result couldn’t make both parties any happier. Just like Luhan predicted, the painting had been illegally stored, bought and resold a few times which explained small damage on the surface. Patrick and Martin hardly said anything as he showed them how good he was in this field. When he claimed he knew Paul Gauguin’s works earlier, he meant it, literally. Luhan had studied Post-Impressionism since the day he learned how to draw and Paul Gauguin was one of his favorite artists. That’s why without using Xray photocopy or other specialized equipment, he found it easily to scan the painting with his deep understanding of Gauguin’s personal style.  

Needless to say, people were impressed on how fast he could come to a conclusion but they also were awed at Sehun’s various knowledge of French fine arts. It’s not exaggerating to count the art director’s contribution to the success of this deal. Even though he could speak French quite fluently, Luhan couldn’t help finding it difficult to express his expertized opinion in a language he hadn’t spoken for a really long time. Luckily, Sehun played his role as an interpreter perfectly since he sometimes added his personal comments on the artist’s signature style and technique.

Every feature in Gauguin’s paintings was carefully considered and calculated in advance. Just as in a musical composition.

Luhan couldn’t stop himself from smiling contentedly at how the Korean man found an accomplished way to end the authentication process before handing Kris the contract of using his collection for exhibition.

They go back to the café shop on the second floor due to heavy rain outside. Sehun notices the anxiety on the other one’s face as he continuously checks his phone.

“I don’t think you can fly back Seoul in this bad weather.”

He speaks up, pushing the green tea cup toward the Chinese male, motions him to enjoy the tea before it cools down. Luhan mumbles a small thank you and automatically switches his low self-esteem mode on whenever Sehun is around. The confident, a little bit arrogant man an hour ago is vanished right after they’re left alone.

“It seems like my flight is canceled as well” Sehun bites his lower lips nonchalantly while his finger keeps tapping on the phone “I guess we have to wait till morning for a reschedule.”

Great, a whole night to get to know me better.

A sudden voice ringing inside his head startles Luhan and makes him choke in his tea, spill half of his cup on the floor and his pants. The younger one looks up in worry as he’s coughing nonstop, trying to catch his breath.

“Are you okay?”
“I…I….I’m fine.” he thankfully grabs some tissues from the box in Sehun’s hand to rub the wet stain.

The art director watches him struggling with amusement in his eyes. It’s like there are two different people strapped inside a body, one is passionate and kind of bossy when it comes to work and the other is clumsy and naïve with his cuteness. Both of them makes Sehun’s heart flutter every time their eyes meet.

“Can I ask you one thing?” Luhan halts a bit but he can’t help it. Each time their paths come across, he gets more and more questions piled up inside and one way or another, he owns himself answers.

“Just one?” Sehun teases, earning a strained smile from the other one “Go ahead, I’m listening.”

“How did you know about this meeting?” the Chinese man taps on the table’s surface to imply what event he means.

“I called Mr. Wu. I had to convince him to let me be a part of this.”

His boss explains the situation in one go and Luhan sighs in relief. At the moment he saw Sehun standing behind the chair, a scenario of Minseok getting caught and yelled at for covering for him with the on-going project was immediately ran through his brain. Now he knows his colleague are not getting into any trouble because of him.

“By the way, you know it’s illegal right? To help him buying that stolen painting.”

Sehun pauses a second, waiting a confirmation from the blond man sitting across the table and just like his wish, Luhan silently bites his lower lip, nodding his head.

“If the Boards find out about this, they’re gonna fire you.”

The statement of fact from his boss sends chill to his spine. Of course he was fully aware of the consequences of taking part in this business yet he said yes to the offer easily. It’s not just because he wanted the best for the museum’s exhibition. He hates himself to admit that part of him missing the feeling of adrenaline moving through his veins while touching those illegal art works. And Sehun is right, losing his job is the risk he has to take in return.

“I totally understand if you……”

“Don’t be silly.” Sehun cuts him off with a small chuckle “I won’t turn you in.”

“Anyway, you should have told me instead of doing this by yourself.” the younger one continues, his voice out of blue drops to a lower tone as if he’s disappointed “It’s the museum business and I promised we would deal with this issue, together, remember?”

Luhan’s lips press into a thin line as guilty is arising inside his stomach. He mumbles

“I’m sorry. That won’t happen again.”

“Good.” Sehun chuckles, seeing the apologetic expression on the older one’s face makes him want to do something to cheer him up “But I have to say, you’re doing great job today.”

The open-hearted conversation really gives Luhan so much energy that he beams brightly at the compliment. He gathers all his courage again to lean forward and whispers as if he’s afraid someone might overhear what he’s going to say.

“Can I ask another question?” and he doesn’t wait for the permission because Sehun is staring at him as though he wants to say are you kidding me? Just ask!  “How did you get into my apartment? I remembered not giving you any code or did I?”

Finally, he becomes brave enough to mention that night. To tell the truth, his memory of what happened back then was quite blurry even though he knows for sure that there were some yelling and singing. The interesting subject no doubt amuses Sehun as he bursts into laugh just by recalling it.

“Oh, that’s a funny story.”

“I didn’t do anything ….er.. offensive to you, right?” the word funny makes the Chinese man jolt in worry.

“Well, you asked me to sing.”

His boss sound as if it’s obvious fact and on the opposite side of the table, Luhan can’t help palm-facing himself embarrassingly. He knows it, drunk Luhan is the worst.

“I’m so sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be.” Sehun grins big, leaning on his chair comfortably “Your request was a Chinese lullaby so it’s like a dead end.”

“Then….how?”

“Well, lucky for me, someone can really sing that song.”

Luhan hears every word stressed on purpose and it takes him five seconds to realize whom the other on was talking about. God blesses him with the ability to survive through the hardest times in his life but he can’t save him from this ashamed moment.

“M….Me?”

And he can see the art director trying to hold his laughter, nodding his head to confirm. So all the yelling and singing in his memory was actually from himself. Luhan has been drunk before and he admits that he’s more talkative when he’s tipsy but never once did he behave like a teenager with that kind of stuffs.

“You know what, we can continue this Q&A session during dinner if you like.”

Sehun half jokes as he stands up and points the finger to the ceiling, implies the restaurant on the third floor. The darkness has covered the whole area outside and the rain is still splashing the glass surface behind him. They’re completely trapped in this bad weather but none of them complains because for the first time since they met, they find each other’s company very pleasant.