The King & The Eunuch

Two Worlds

"You-you killed your first wife's first love?" Chanyeol stuttered , he started meddling with his fingers as he nervously stared at Wang Eun. 

" I-I had no choice. " 

" How did that happen? " Joonmyeon raised his eyebrows. 

" It's a long story... "

" Your Majesty, you don't have to tell them." Kyungsoo murmured.

"I'll tell them...It will be fine I promise. When I was twelve years old, I got married to my first wife, Haesoo. She was one of the most beautiful women in Joseon. She was my childhood friend since I was eight years old. At the age of fourteen, I got married to my second wife who is currently my queen, Soon Deok. It was an arranged marriage and the purpose of the marriage was to increase my political influence and power. Seon Deok was kind and independent but the one who I really loved with all my heart was Haesoo. Everything was going smoothly but six years later after I became king, things started going downhill... "


April 1750, Joseon

" Your Majesty, aren't the cherry blossoms pretty? " Queen Hae Soo, Wang Eun's first wife gave a pretty smile. The king and queen were strolling in the royal garden on that fine afternoon and the cherry blossom trees started to bloom radiantly. 

" Yes, my queen. " Wang Eun replied happily." They remind me of your beauty."

" Your Majesty, the queen is very lucky to have you." Junki, the king's favourite eunuch commented as he walked behind them. 

" I am flattered. " Haesoo blushed. " Your Majesty, you're very fortunate to have someone like him. He's the kindest person I have ever encountered."

" Your Highness, you don't have to say that I am deeply flattered." Junki grinned. 

" My queen, I thought you thought of me as the kindness king there is?" Wang Eun raised his eyebrows. " I am certainly kinder and more gracious than any human being in Korea."

" Your Highness, the king is right about that. He has helped so many citizens and done so much for the country." Junki said. 

" The king should not take your kindness for granted, Junki." Haesoo said in a kind voice. 

" I have not taken Junki for granted, my queen." Wang Eun scoffed." I deeply appreciate everything he has done."

" King and Queen I think we should get back to the resting chambers the king has an important meeting this afternoon." Junki suggested. 

" I think that would be a good idea." Haesoo said splendidly. She turned to Wang Eun and bowed. " I shall see you again, Your Majesty." She turned to Junki and gave a sweet smile before walking away. 

" Your Majesty, I think you should prepare for your meeting." Junki suggested. 

" Your Majesty, what are you doing here?" A soft, delicate voice called out. 

Wang Eun turned around and saw Soon Deok, dressed in her armour and her face was covered in slight scratches and bruises. 

" Soon Deok, what happened to your face?" Wang Eun asked, looking concerned. " Have you been training with the commander and soldiers again?"

" I can't help it, Your Majesty." Soon Deok laughed nervously." I can't seem to adjust to the life of a royal consort. I enjoy fighting and horseback riding."

" Soon Deok, a royal consort must never fight is that understood? " Wang Eun said sternly. " Your duty is to be a royal consort who is elegant and graceful, you should be reading and sewing."

" But I hate reading, Your Majesty." Soon Deok protested.

" At least act more elegant like Haesoo." Wang Eun scolded. " You're acting like an animal."

" Are you being like this because you love Haesoo more than me?" Soon Deok asked." Are you being like this because you're jealous of her favouring someone else and not you?"

" Shut your mouth, Soon Deok!" Wang Eun growled." You don't have the rights to question me."

" Is it because you had no choice but to marry me? Let me tell you this, Your Majesty. She loves somebody else more than you and I can tell you this, he's someone who's close to you."

" That's enough, Park Soon Deok. If you mention this one more time, I'll rip off that wretched mouth of yours and I'll make sure you can't see your father again." Wang Eun threatened." Do I make myself clear?"

" I apologize for being too blunt." Soon Deok looked at him guiltily." I shall leave you be for the moment."

Soon Deok walked away in the opposite direction leaving only Junki and Wang Eun alone. 

" Junki, I'll like to have a private talk with you alone in my chambers tonight."

" A private talk? May I ask why, Your Majesty?" 

" You'll find out tonight. If you would excuse me I have an important meeting with the minsters to attend to." Wang Eun said coldly. 

" Your Majesty, what is with the sudden change of tone?" Junki mumbled.

" It's nothing." Wang Eun gave a slight smile." Obey my command, old friend."


Present

" Wait a minute, You said Seon Deok was one of the kindest women in Joseon, she doesn't seem like one." Chanyeol commented." I don't believe she was kind."

" She is kind but she can be a little bit too blunt at times. She did help me when I was in trouble when I was the crown prince." Wang Eun explained.

" You sounded like you were particularly jealous of your eunuch. Is that true?" Joonmyeon asked.

" Can I finish the story first?" Wang Eun raised his eyebrows.

" Oh right, I'm sorry." Joonmyeon laughed nervously.


April 1750, Joseon

" Your Majesty, you have requested a personal meeting with me?" Junki bowed infront of Wang Eun.

Wang Eun was sitting on his bed, smoking a pipe. He looked towards the direction of a court lady and ordered a request to take the pipe away.

" You may leave." He commanded as the court lady escorted herself out of the room leaving only Junki and Wang Eun inside the King's chamber.

" Your Majesty, you shouldn't be smoking it is not good for your health, you have to stop smoking you already have a heart condition." Junki pleaded.

" It does not matter when my heart is already full of rage. You don't have the rights to question my health condition." Wang Eun said arrogantly." I have heard rumours about a certain eunuch having an affair with my queen and I am wondering who that eunuch is." Wang Eun glared at Junki as he got up from the bed and approached him. He grabbed Junki's ear and pulled towards his mouth.

" The eunuch they were talking about must be you, am I right?" Wang Eun whispered.

" Your Majesty, I-I don't know what you are talking about this is a mistake." Junki stuttered.

" So I guess it was true after all." Wang Eun realeased Junki's ear and slapped him till Junki's cheek turned crimson red.

" Your Majesty, I really don't know what you are talking about." Junki covered his injured cheek out of shame." Please spare me!"

" Listen closely, dear friend. I am giving you a second chance, I am aware that Haesoo has been asking for your assistance ever one year ago and I have been mum about it. I do not know what you have been doing with her but I know she likes you and I despise that. If you ever see her one more time, I shall make sure you won't see daylight again, am I clear?" Wang Eun said relentlessly.

" Yes, Your Majesty. You mercy is full of abundance! I would not disappoint you again!" Junki said, feeling overwhelmed as he continued to bow multiple times.

" You may leave."


Present

" You are cruel." Joonmyeon gasped." Did you really have to be so cruel to that eunuch?"

" I am infamous for being cruel to whoever stands in my way." Wang Eun gave a slight smirk.

" Your Majesty, I think we should stop here." Minseok suggested." This is giving you a bad reputation and this story was such a long time ago and you have definetely changed."

" Now that I think about it, you actually smoke a pipe?" Chanyeol stared at Wang Eun with incredulity." Isn't that bad for your health?"

" I quitted smoking six months after that incident. Can I just finish the story before you ask anything?"

" Oh right, we are sorry."


October 1750, Joseon

" Your Majesty, would you like some hot jasmine tea?" Junki asked as he observed Wang Eun reading his books on mythical fairytales in the royal library.

" I will be delighted." Wang Eun nodded.

" I will be right back, Your Majesty."

" Your Majesty, I have been looking everywhere for you." Wang Eun looked up and saw Minseok looking anxious as he meddled with fingers.

" What happened? What is the problem?" Wang Eun asked." Why do you look so anxious?"

" Your Majesty, the queen is pregnant..."

" WHAT? THE QUEEN IS PREGNANT?" Wang Eun shouted as he slammed a book on the table." THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! I HAVEN'T BEEN SSEING HER FOR A LONG TIME!"

" That is what concerns me, Your Majesty." Minseok replied."There are rumours that she allowed an eunuch into her chambers..."

" But that is impossible! Eunuchs aren't able to have children because their reproductive organs are no longer able to function!" Wang Eun protested." This doesn't make any sense."

" You won't believe what I found out from Kyungsoo, he went to investigate the matter and he found out one of the eunuchs pretended to be a eunuch but he was actually a nobleman."

" But why would he want to disguise himself as a eunuch?" Wang Eun itching with curiousity." He could have disguise himself as a minister or a guard."

" I believe the reason behind is because...because he has a higher chance to get closer to the royal consorts and queen. Usually the eunuchs get to serve the royal consorts and queen upon request."

" I don't believe it...I don't believe it..." Wang Eun was stunned." I don't want to believe it is him..."

" I'm sorry,Your Majesty but just about three nights ago, Kyungsoo followed Junki and caught him entering the queen's chambers while you were asleep." Minseok said sadly.

Just then, Junki entered the library with a tray holding a pot of jasmine tea and sweets. Wang Eun and Minseok glared at him as Junki inched his way towards the table and nervously placed the tray on the table.

" Your Majesty...Royal Secretary Kim...did something happen?"

" Chief Kim, are you outside?"

Chief Kim Jongin entered the library and bowed his head slightly.

" What is it, Your Majesty?"

"Arrest Eunuch Lee Junki this instant!" 

" Arrest Eunuch Lee Junki!"

Five guards entered the library and dragged Junki out of the library with Chief Kim following behind them.

" Your Majesty! I am innocent! I am innocent! What have I done wrong to anger the heavens? Your Majesty, Your Majesty!" Junki yelled as one guard shoved him to the ground.

" You broke your promise...you wretched liar..." Wang Eun gritted his teeth.

" Minseok, I need to see the queen right now!"

" Yes, Your Majesty."

Wang Eun and Minseok headed to the queen's quarters in a hurry, he found the queen staring at the trees whose leaves have turned reddish brown and yellow outside her quarters.

" Queen, go back inside I need to talk to you urgently."

" Your Majesty, what is the matter?"

Wang Eun stared at her baby bump before glaring at her with clenched fists.

" You really are oblivious." He said sarcastically.

" Your Majesty, it was a mistake." Haesoo said in a shaky voice." It was a mistake."

" Get inside now!"


Present

" What a plot twist!" Chanyeol exclaimed." So that eunuch was a fake after all."

" He was...he was my friend." Wang Eun said remorsefully." I trusted him the most because he was always giving good advice and he was one of the only friends I had in the palace."

" I can't imagine feeling like that especially with Irene." Joonmyeon said.

" I can just finish up the story? We will never get to finish it if you keep interrupting me!"

" Sorry, we were just too curious."


October 1750, Joseon

" Queen, how long have you known about your pregancy?"

" It was about five months ago when I started feeling naseous and I missed my period. I was having frequent headaches and fatigue...I didn't want to believe I was pregnant but it turned out to be true after all." Haesoo said hesistantly.

" Queen...Haesoo I know you had an affair with Junki without my permission and you have disappointed me."

" Your Majesty...to tell you the truth Junki and I were best friends ever since I was five years old and we were in love with each other. Junki was a nobleman and he was the son of the former commander Lee Junho who your father executed when he was six years old. We swore to get married and live a quiet life when your father deicded an arrange marriage with you and he was devastated."

" I thought you loved me." Wang Eun mumbled." I thought you were my best friend. Why have I not known that Junki was a nobleman when he was so close to you?"

" I kept it a secret...I pretended to love you the way I loved Junki." Haesoo gritted her teeth as tears flowed down her face." I didn't choose to live a life of being a queen, I was forced!"

" How did...how did Junki manage to serve as a eunuch?"

" I...under my order I managed to get him to be a eunuch who served under you. I thought that if he became a eunuch he could secretly visit me at my chambers every night and we could see each other again. We were forbidden to love each other but at least we could see each other."

" Does Soon Deok know about this?"

" She is unaware about the situation. Royal physician Kim Jongdae has been serving me in secret ever since I was pregnant. He is the only one aware that I was having an affair with Junki."

" You are a sickening witch..." Wang Eun was galled by what Haesoo revealed." You have been lying to me all these years...I don't have a choice but to put you under arrest.You don't deserve to be queen."

" My king, if that is what you want I'll be willing to obey it." Haesoo sighed as she looked at Wang Eun with guilt.

" Court Lady Kang! Are you outside?"

"Yes, Your Majesty." Court Lady Kang Seulgi entered the quarters and bowed." How can I assist you?"

" Arrest the queen immediately for breaking the rules as a royal member of the household!"

"Yes, Your Majesty. Ladies, take the queen away!"

Five court ladies entered the quarters and took Haesoo away.

" I am sorry, Your Majesty." Haesoo muttered as the court ladies took her away leaving Wang Eun to silently grieve by himself.


Present

" That is a terrible thing for her to do to you." Chanyeol said quietly." What happened to her and Junki?"

" I...I dethroned her the very next day and exiled her to an abandoned island...she gave birth to a son a few months after she was exiled. I visited her two years after that incident and she really wasn't in love with me anymore... as for Junki I had him executed by hanging his body outside the palace three days later..."

" That's just very eerie and I'm having goosebumps." Joonmyeon commented as he rubbed his arms nervously.

" Before the execution do you know what he said to me? He said he had no sense of guilt...he said he was just pretending to be my best friend and he resented me for marrying Haesoo. He wanted to assasinate me by poisoning my tea but Haesoo pleaded with him to stop. Soon Deok suspected Haesoo of being in love with Junki but she didn't tell me until after he died because didn't want to hurt my feelings."

" Your Majesty, I think that's enough of the story you are going to feel guilty." Kyungsoo finally spoke up as he patted Wang Eun's shoulder gently.

" I did treat Junki harshly because of my jealously so I can say one of the reasons why he wanted to kill me was my own fault. I was jealous of them having a suspicious connection I wanted Haesoo to myself, I was guilty, I repented and grieved for months but what they did was unforgivable. That is why I want to go back home as soon as possible but now I'm so lost and confuse and alone..." Wang Eun broke down and wailed.

" Your Majesty, don't cry." Kyungsoo said." You are a king."

Just then, Chanyeol approached him and tapped Wang Eun's shoulder. Wang Eun looked up and revealed his tear-streaken face. Chanyeol gave him a sky blue hankerchief with his initials "Loey" sewn onto his hankerchief and nudged Wang Eun gently to convince him to blow his nose.

" It's okay for a king to cry because a king is a human being too..." Chanyeol said genuinely as Wang Eun blew his nose ." I may have sort of resented you, Minseok and Kyungsoo since yesterday but now I have seen that you guys are lost and confused and I shouldn't have shouted at you. I shouldn't have been ill-tempered and loet my feelings get in the way. I will accomodate you guys until the next blue moon."

"We are sorry for being rude to you." Kyungsoo apologized." We are really sorry for treating you like a servant."

" Now that you guys have officially reconciled I shall be on my merry way and go on  a date with Irene." Joonmyeon said cheerfully as he made his way to the front door." Enjoy staying with Chanyeol he can be a handful at times!"

" Shut up Joonmyeon!" Chanyeol said sharply as he closed the front door.

" King, are you okay?" Chanyeol turned around and saw Baekhyun's face darkened as he kept shifting his eyes left and right.

" I am fine." Wang Eun replied wistfully.

" I think I shall bring you guys some new clothes bring you guys for a haircut at my friend's salon tomorrow since we don't have the time today. And maybe I could show you my restaurant tomorrow." Chanyeol said.

" Are you certain a haircut will be fine?" Minseok asked with distaught.

" It'll be fine, I promise." Chanyeol assured." It's just a haircut how bad could it be?"