Lost & Confused

Two Worlds

Fifteen years ago... 

" Mummy, do you really have to go? You can't leave me here alone!"

" I may not live much longer my dear son but I'll always let you know I'm always here even though it may not be physically but emotionally there's no way I'll ever leave you, I'll never forsake you that's a promise. If you ever miss you just touch this pendant shaped like an angel." Mrs Park, Chanyeol's mother said weakly as she handed a sliver necklace with a golden pendant shaped like an angel. 

Mrs Park was diagnosed with stage four cancer and she had about three months to live. Chanyeol's father was in Singapore on a business trip while his older sister, Yoora was in high school. Chanyeol was the only who came to visit his mother and he had the closest relationship with her. For the past three months he took his mother to see the cherry blossoms bloom. His mother loved admiring the beauty of the flowers falling from the trees like pouring rain. 

" Chanyeol, remember to take care of your father. He maybe dominant but he still loves you even though he doesn't show you and take care of your big sister because I know you're a brave little soldier. " Mrs Park murmured as they sat on a park bench while they stared at the cherry blossom trees. 

" Mummy, I can't let you go." Chanyeol lamented. " Please stay alive for me. " He grabbed his mother's hands and squeezed it tightly. 

But Mrs Park shook her head sadly and gently moved her son's hands away. 

"I'm sorry, Chanyeol. I can only promise you this, I'll watch you from heaven and that's what I'm going to do."

"Mummy..."


Present

" Chanyeol, wake up!" 

" It's so early, I need my rest. " Chanyeol rubbed his eyes and yawned, his vision was a bit blurry and he couldn't really see who was talking to him. 

" Chanyeol, it is really bright outside and according to your interesting machine on the wall it looks like it is 10am. "

" 10am! I overslept! " Chanyeol jolted out of bed and he realised it was Minseok who woke him up, he was sitting on the side of his king sized bed, arms akimbo.

" And that interesting machine you were referring to was a wall clock, it tells the time of the day." Chanyeol said in a hurry as he struggled to change into his furry, brown sweater and ripped jeans. He aggressively combed his ebony, straight hair before applying sunscreen on his face. 

" His Majesty is very hungry right now. He's waiting for you in your so called dining hall." Minseok said impatiently. 

" Why don't you wait for me outside instead of watching me get ready, I'll be right there in a jiffy." Chanyeol dashed down the hallway and ran down the stairs to the first floor where the dining hall was and found the three men sitting around the dining table, looking impatiently. 

" Chanyeol, you are very late!" Kyungsoo said angrily. "His Majesty was up really early two hours ago and you were sleeping soundly like a pig!"

" First of all, I'm not your personal maid! I only allowed you guys to stay here because you don't have a place to go. You don't have the money, you don't have any sort of transportation and you don't even have a house! " Chanyeol said in a splenetic voice.

" You definitely don't have the discipline to wake up early and serve me. You're even worse than my own eunuchs! " Wang Eun was infuriated. " You are very fortunate that I haven't commanded Kyungsoo to kill you yet. I have been gracious enough to spare you the fact that with everything you have been doing you deserve more than just an execution !"

" Last night, we were very having a light hearted conversation over supper and I thought we were finally getting along with each other but it looks like I was wrong! Don't you dare boss me around because this is not your world, you're not a king here and I don't care if you kill me or not because I don't get two s about your behaviour! " Chanyeol gritted his teeth.

"How dare you !" Kyungsoo shouted, adding fuel to the fire. " I'm going to kill you right now! "

"Who ing cares?" Chanyeol said furiously. " Go ahead! Just kill me! I rather die than to serve you three for another second especially you so called king! I'm so sick of putting up with this! "

" You really want me to kill me? I'm notorious for being evil when it comes to torture. " Baekhyun threatened. " Listen to what I am saying, You have crossed the line for disrespecting me! "

" Why did I even bother to answer your question last night? I can't ing believe I told you about my past! " Chanyeol said with a frustrated voice. " And why did you even answer my question about your wife? "

" Because I am a righteous king..."

"RIGHTEOUS? YOU'RE TELLING ME YOU'RE RIGHTEOUS?" Chanyeol laughed hysterically. " YOU ARE JUST SOME KING WHO COMMANDS YOUR OWN SERVANTS WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING MUCH! I DON'T EVEN THINK YOU'RE A REAL KING, YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO BE KING AND NO WONDER YOUR FIRST WIFE DECIDED TO KILL HERSELF! "

"How...how did you know about my first wife? " Wang Eun stuttered. " That's impossible..."

" IT'S FROM THE KOREAN HISTORY BOOK, YOUR MAJESTY!" Chanyeol said, agitated. " I KNOW HOW YOUR WIFE DIED AND I KNOW HOW YOUR LIFE WENT ON I PARTICULARLY KNOW ABOUT YOUR ENTIRE REIGN!"

" SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" Wang Eun snapped. " HOW DARE YOU BRING MY FIRST WIFE INTO THIS?"

" Your Majesty, I think you should stop arguing with that baboon  it's not worth your time." Minseok chimed in.

" Your Majesty, I think we should just slit his mouth." Kyungsoo agreed as he clenched his fists tightly. " You have gone too far, baboon."

" FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT A BABOON!" Chanyeol shrieked. " URGH! I HAD ENOUGH OF YOU GUYS! YOU'RE EXACTLY LIKE ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS BUT A HUNDRED TIMES MORE ANNOYING!"

" Who are Alvin and the chipmunks? I guess they are some sort of animal?" Minseok guessed, arms akimbo.

" FORGET IT! I'M GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE!" CHanyeol grabbed his black Long Champ backpack and stomped out of the house in rage, he slammed the front door causing the a loud bang that made the three men jump a little.

" He didn't remember to help us get new clothes, Your Majesty." Kyungsoo commented. " That man just beat you when it comes to being hot tempered..."

" Shut your mouth, Kyungsoo." Wang Eun glared." We have to get this man back on our side we were somehow at fault here."

" I apologize, Your Majesty." Kyungsoo bowed his head slightly." Chanyeol was quite at fault too for shouting at you and to even bring up your first wife..."

" I know...he was wrong." Wang Eun said bitterly." But we were at fault for losing our temper infront of him too. My first wife..."

" Your Majesty, don't think about your first wife..." Minseok comforted him and gently patted the king's shoulder." Haesoo wouldn't want you to remember."

" I supposed you could say you're right." Wang Eun nodded. 

" Your Majesty, what are we going to do now?" Kyungsoo asked.

" I believe we have to wait for his return it's just a matter of when he's coming back." Wang Eun sighed.

" Your Majesty, I was just wondering when Chanyeol shouted at you he used some sort of alien language, what is this word called ?" MInseok asked, scratching his head." I have never heard such a language used before."

" A king may know a lot of things but he isn't going to know everything, Minseok." Wang Eun replied.

" I wonder too..." Kyungsoo scratched his head too.


12.10pm, Joonmyeon's Apartment

" I hope he's around and not at the hospital today." Chanyeol pressed the doorbell while waiting anxiously outside Joonmyeon's apartment.

After a few moments, the front door opened slightly and a tiny head peeked out, Joonmyeon's hazelnut brown hair was slightly wet, he pushed the front door even more and he was seen wearing a white bathrobe and bathroom slippers.

" I'm sorry I just took a shower." Joonmyeon apologized. " You can come inside thank God I wasn't needed at the hospital today."

Chanyeol stepped into the house and escorted himself to the living room, he slumped onto the living room couch and sighed heavily.

" Would you like a glass of water?" Joonmyeon called out from kitchen."

" I would love it if you would get changed into some fresh, warm clothes first." Chanyeol chuckled.

" Alright." Joonmyeon smiled and headed into the bedroom. A few minutes later, He was dressed in a white prive' sweater and Levi ripped jeans. He sat down beside Chanyeol and wrapped his right arm around Chanyeol's muscular body.

" You seem rather glum." Joonmyeon gave a worried look. " Is something the matter?"

" Joonmyeon, you won't believe what happened last night. You may think I might sound crazy but this is all true, after the blue moon shone brightly last night three mysterious men who claim they are from the Joseon Dynasty somehow landed in my house and they said it was some magic amulet that brought them here. And the funniest thing is, one of them is a king."

The two men stared at each other for a long time before Joonmyeon bursted into laughter till his face turned red and his eyes teared up.

" Are you serious? you have got to be kidding me." Joonmyeon hollered." Since when you were so interested in fairytales? This is not the Chanyeol I know of."

" Joonmyeon I am telling you what I am saying is true." Chanyeol protested. " And these three men who called me a baboon kept bossing me around like a personal maid espeically that guy who keeps claiming he's a king or some bull."

" Are you really sure you're telling the truth?" Joonmyeon looked at him with a skeptical expression." It just seems so unbelievable."

" I am telling the truth I swear." Chanyeol insisted. " If you really don't believe me you can follow me back to my house and you'll see for yourselves, Damn I hate it when they call me a baboon..."

" Well, you sort of look like one." Joonmyeon teased. 

" Shut up, Joonmyeon!" Chanyeol growled." It infuriates me when they call me that I take it as an offense."

" Alright, I'm sorry."

" I guess I just want someone to hear what I have got to say. I just needed some ranting." Chanyeol sighed." You may say I'm born with a golden spoon but to be very honest, I'm not happy with my life."

" You know I'll always be beside you no matter what." Joonmyeon said softly." You can trust me, you maybe really hot tempered and cold but you're actually really sweet when it comes to protecting the ones you love you know that right?"

Chanyeol nodded and sighed heavily. " I guess so."

" Come on, you need a hug." Joonmyeon hugged Chanyeol tightly and embraced him like a real mother.

" Thank you, Joonmyeon." Chanyeol muttered under his breath." You're like a mother to me sometimes."

" You're my best friend, I love you as a brother. You're like my younger brother from another mother."

" I wish you were my real brother."

" You wanted to show me the three mysterious men you were talking about, let's go and have a talk with them."

" Alright, I suppose we could go there."

" Come on, let's go."


1.15pm, Chanyeol's apartment

" Is he really coming back, Your Majesty?" Minseok asked anxiously.

" I believe he has ought to come back anytime soon." Wang Eun said, his chin.

" He really has no shame am I right, Your Majesty?" Kyungsoo shook his head in dismay. " And it is past your lunch time schedule it's too bad I'm just a professional in martial arts."

The three men were sitting around the living room couch, starving and lethargic. It was rather unfortunate none of them could cook let alone travelling from one place to another.

*beep beep*

" Chanyeol is back!" Minseok exclaimed and rushed towards the front door and greeted Chanyeol and Joonmyeon.

" You weren't kidding when you said you had more people living in your house." Joonmyeon gasped and stared at Minseok for a while. " Even the hairstyle is realistic."

" You're back." Wang Eun smiled while approaching the front door with Kyungsoo behind him. " We have been waiting for you."

" Yeol, don't you have something to say?" Joonmyeon nudged Chanyeol gently and Chanyeol turned to him, looking confused.

" What do I do?" Chanyeol muttered under his breath.

" Apologize." Joonmyeon whispered.

" Yes, about that..."

Chanyeol cleared his throat and sighed.

" I am...I...I am sorry." Chanyeol said hesitantly." I was wrong to shout at you guys, I was sorry for being so hot tempered and for my unforgivable behaviour. I should have shimmered down before talking to you."

" I...a king rarely apologizes but I am truly sorry for shouting at you and for snapping at you when you mentioned my first wife." Wang Eun said hesitantly." I got really mad when you mentioned about her..."

" I have to apologise too for calling you a baboon." Minseok chimed in. " It was rude and cruel."

" I have to apologize too." Kyungsoo nodded." For calling you a baboon too and for threatening you with my sword."

" I guess I was so lost and confused with life that I had a mental breakdown and snapped." Chanyeol laughed nervously." I didn't believe you were a king and I am really sorry for involving your first wife in the conversation. I'll try to control my anger whenever I can."

" So are we friends?" Wang Eun asked.

" Acquaintences." Chanyeol replied.

" Since you guys have apologised to each other allow me to introduce myself." Joonmyeon said. " I am Kim Joonmyeon, I am Chanyeol's best friend and I am a neurosurgeon that means I am a brain doctor to put it in layman terms."

" You're the brother Chanyeol mentioned." Kyungsoo said." I am Do Kyungsoo and I am the king's bodyguard."

" Yes, I'm like an older brother to him. I am a black belt in Taekwondo too for your information."

" I am Kim Minseok and I am the royal secretary." Minseok bowed his head sllightly.

" I am King Wang Eun, my birthname is Baekhyun and I am really a king, I am not pretending to be one."

" Good to meet you, Your Majesty." Joonmyeon nodded." I didn't believe everything but it looks like Chanyeol was telling the truth after all."

" With all being said and done, shall we eat?" Chanyeol asked. " I could whip up some spicy rice cakes with eggs."

" You are one talented cook." Joonmyeon gave a thumbs up." Not only can you cook italian dishes but you can cook korean dishes too."

" I got it from my mom." Chanyeol grinned.

" I have never eaten spicy rice cakes before, is it delicious?" Wang Eun asked.

" You have never eaten spicy rice cakes before?" Joonmyeon's jaw dropped. " It is the most delicious dish in the entire world."

" I told you I am a king I don't get to eat commoner's food."

" I have never eaten it either." Minseok commented.

" Me too." Kyungsoo nodded." We usually eat rice with side dishes."

" It must be hard being a nobleman." Joonmyeon commented." You don't get to enjoy the wonderful variety of korean food."

" I'll shall start cooking." Chanyeol went into the kitchen while the others waited in the dining hall.

" You're really a king?"Joonmyeon looked at Wang Eun suspiciously." This is insane."

" I really am a king." Wang Eun protested. " It may look unbelievable but I really did come from the past."

" Your hairstyle is so authentic so I guess you are really telling the truth because nobody would like to have that hairstyle." Joonmyeon said.

" How dare you talk about my hair?" Wang Eun said, touching his bun on the head." You would be considered an outsider if you have that brownish hair of yours."

" It''s ready!" Chanyeol arrived with a huge pot of spicy rice cakes with eggs and placed the pot in the middle of the table."Tuck in."

"What is the sorcery?" Wang Eun while chewing on a rice cake. " This is the best thing I have ever eaten in my entire life."

" It's spicy rice cakes, I could you give you recipe if you want." CHanyeol replied." I am pretty sure you have rice cakes in Joseon."

" Your Majesty, you should order your palace cooks to cook this every single day." MInseok commented. " It's like the heavens have dropped food from the skies."

" If I don't talk, that means it's delicious." Kyungsoo said as he gobbled down his food and chugged some milk.

" With lunch being settled, Your Majesty I think I have a question to ask... I know your first wife died from killing herself...is it really true?"

Wang Eun's face darkened and placed his chopsticks down , he turned to Chanyeol smiled bitterly.

" Do you really want to know the truth?" He asked bitterly.

" It's okay if you don't answer it, I shouldn't have been so curious because I believe it's not entirely true." Chanyeol said, feeling guilty.

" I'll tell you...I...got her dethroned and killed her first love..."