Holy fish sticks!

fish out of water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Moving to Busan for her studies had seemed like a great idea at first. Sure, it meant leaving behind her parents, her brother, most of her family, and everything she has ever known, but it was a way for her to finally get a form of freedom. Dahyun could go to bed whenever she wanted, she could go out with friends without having to ask for permission. She could even go clubbing with friends if she wanted to! Except she didn’t because she didn’t like clubs and neither did her friends.

 Dahyun much preferred walking along the beach during the evening. Chaeyoung, her roommate, had told her about a few spots near her aunt's place that were never really crowded. The beach was a nice way to find peace – small waves crashing on the sand, tickling her bare feet, it was one of the most relaxing thing.

 The only problem that she had ever encountered were the stupid seagulls. Scary flying bastards. Well, there was also the occasional boy who tried to flirt, but those guys were armless. The drunk s stayed in the city, rarely made it to the beach.

 Beach days were only a rare occurrence. Haeundae Beach was too far from university for Dahyun to commute, or even drive, there every day. But she loved it too much not to go there at least every other week-end – it contained too many childhood memories, days at the beach with her parents and Myungsoo, and one particular event that she could never forget. Now that the holidays were finally here, Dahyun could go when she wanted, stay a few days in a hostel or at Chaeyoung’s aunt – it was the case for the week, as her roommate had invited her over.

 Dahyun curled her toes in the wet sand and smiled. It was such a nice feeling.

 Quiet.

 Peaceful.

 It was what Dahyun liked the most about this place.

 Her phone buzzed loudly in her back pocket, shaking her from her thoughts.

TIGER CUB CHAENG 🐯
as planned, i’m getting my aunt to the train station
going to a restaurant with her first, so you’ll be alone for dinner, hope you don’t mind

DUBU
I’m pretty sure I can survive dinner alone!
There’s leftovers from yesterday anyway
Give your aunt a hug for me!
Did you message the others?

TIGER CUB CHAENG 🐯
yes! party plans for the weekend are going smoothly ✌️
there’s only, like, five people who replied to the invite tho
are you still at the beach?

DUBU
Who are the five? Jeong? Nayeon unnie? Who else?
Yes, still at the beach for now

TIGER CUB CHAENG 🐯
jeong, nayeon, jihyo, tzuyu and well, you
felix said he’s gonna ask the guys about it
don’t stay at the beach too long, people say weird things have been happening. jeong said she heard screams or something

DUBU
Okay. We should start buying groceries for the party tomorrow!
Jeong has been trying to convince us that mermaids are real since the day we met her 😂 Don’t believe what she says about anything that happens at the beach

 Dahyun stared at the messages a moment before locking her phone and putting it back in her pocket. Mermaids. She let out a sigh. It wasn’t too long ago when Dahyun still believed that they existed. For years, she had been convinced of their existence. Because of this beach. Because of something that she was certain she had seen.

 Ten years ago, little Dahyun had seen a mermaid.

 She scoffed at the notion. Her parents had never believed her. Her brother had mercilessly for years – and he still brought it up occasionally.

 Mermaids don’t exist, Dahyunie.

 She had heard that sentence too many times.

 With a deep breath, Dahyun looked up at the sky. It was starting to darken. She should get on her way back now, or else the moon would be up before she reached Chaeyoung’s aunt’s place. Walking in the city alone at night was never reassuring. She still had some time before she really needed to leave.

 She took her backpack off her shoulders and went through its content to find her headphones, tangled in one big mess.

 She heard it then. A scream that shattered the peacefulness of the beach. It lasted several chilling seconds before it stopped. Birds flew away from the beach, to the city.

 Silence fell on the beach again. Much heavier this time.

 Dahyun knew she should have just left. her heels and rushed back to the city. Her heart was beating so fast it was growing painful. Fear was spreading through her whole body, and yet, all Dahyun wanted was to find the source of the noise. Who could have screamed like that? What could have screamed like that? And why?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter