Love is a Disaster

Wedding Crashers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun should have been more sensitive to Jongin’s plight. His best friend had poured out all his feelings about Ayoung, cried for hours and said everything he had been holding back. All Sehun could tell Jongin was this:

“You should be telling Ayoung all this.”

He was insensitive, he knew. Jongin was hurt, thinking Ayoung had never loved him, didn’t care about him or their relationship and that she’d never been interested in them. However, Sehun couldn’t think properly. He’d been through something weird himself and his brain just kept replaying the scene over and over again.

He’d woken up in Minkyung’s arms. He’d been hugging her too. Now, this wasn’t Sehun’s first time to wake up beside a woman but he couldn’t remember when he’d gotten next to Minkyung. He prayed she was asleep so he could climb out of bed and sneak home or something. Then he remembered something else. This was her home. Her family thought they were dating, just like his mom did.

He couldn’t leave her house just like that.

Sehun shoveled his brain for a solution but his mind produced none. There was a famine going on in his idea bank. He just lay there beside her, counting her eyelashes until her she stirred and he was staring into her eyes. She gave him a shy smile. Clearly she was feeling as awkward as he was about this. She blushed to the roots of her hair and sat up.

“Nothing happened!”

Sehun’s non-idea producing thoughts gathered as much because they were both clothed. He couldn’t understand why Minkyung was in such a panic. She leapt out of bed and without another word, scurried to the door, tried the handle and found it locked.

Minkyung rattled the handles a few times. Then she banged the doors.

“Mom! Open up Sehun needs to pee.”

Sehun tilted his head. His bladder was not in a rush. Besides, now that she was no longer beside him his brain was slowly whirring again. He remembered that her toilet wasn’t working and Sehun was glad he didn’t need to pee.

The door eventually opened and Minkyung tried to race out of there. Clearly she was embarrassed about holding him so close. However Mrs. Kim wasn’t having any of it.

“My dears, the public baths are down the road. Minkyung, why don’t you show Sehun where they are.”

Sehun didn’t like the idea of public baths. He’d rather have showered at home. Mrs. Kim would never give him that option. She and her whole family accompanied him to the public baths.

Across the road, she said. However Sehun felt like he was holding Minkyung’s hand for a lot longer. He failed to register the directions. Maybe he was tired. He found it difficult to engage in the small talk Mrs. Kim was trying to start.

“Mom, you’re so embarrassing, leave Sehun alone.”

“I am not, am I Sehun darling?”

Sehun shook his head.

Mrs. Kim smirked smugly and continued with her chatter. Every time she started she was rebuked by one of the girls.

They eventually got ‘across the road.’ Sehun was reluctant to enter. Mrs. Kim bumbled by, exclaiming how much she needed a hot shower. Her teenage daughter followed wordlessly. Sehun felt like a sore thumb. Minkyung dropped his hand as soon as they were gone. The young kid, who had been holding Minkyung’s other hand looked up at the two of them. Minkyung sent Nayeon after the others.

“I’m sorry you have to put up with all of this.”

“That’s okay.”

Her cheeks were burning. Sehun wondered if she was coming down with a cold. He commented on this and Minkyung shook her head, turning even more red. How she might be feeling had never really occurred to him. He wished she’d never sent the little girl after Mrs. Kim and her sister. Now the two of them were left alone.

“Sehun,” she began, saying his name so earnestly that he blushed.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I know I said I’d take the chair, I just-”

“That’s okay. It was a cold night.”

How she was alright with this was a mystery to him. He was left speechless. Minkyung looked at him in a strange way. Her eyes were communicating something he didn’t understand. Her lips moved but she pressed them together and then looked away. Sehun wondered what he’d done wrong.

“Are you angry?”

She was surprised to hear him ask that. Minkyung shook her head. She was visibly upset about something though.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, it’s just- I’m sorry about all of this. My family are annoying you, I know. I understand if you want to go home, I can make up an excuse for you if you do.”

He had a feeling she wanted him to leave but stay at the same time. She looked at him, awaiting an answer and he was at a loss. Did he want to go? Not particularly. He didn’t mind pretending in front of her family. She had faked it for his mother. Sehun had to repay the favour for this fake relationship to work.

“Your family’s not annoying.”

“You’re just saying that. They are! They drive me crazy all the time. How is this not annoying for you? If you stay here then my mom will make you join us for breakfast too.”

“Is that bad?”

“No but-”

“It’s okay with me.”

Sehun was used to having a kookie mother. Minkyung’s wasn’t as crazy as his. He didn’t find fault with her family. Sure, her mother was eager but that was just her personality.

Minkyung refused to meet his eye after that. She had more to say on the matter but she held back. Their delay outside of the public baths made Tami rush outside.

“Are you guys gonna hang out here all day? I get that you’re in love and all but aren’t you gonna bathe?” Tami gave them a disgusted look and disappeared back inside.

“I think my mom sent her,” Minkyung explained, still avoiding him. “I better go.”

Sehun wondered what he’d done to make her stop looking at him altogether. He stared at the battered sign for the public baths and asked himself if he really wanted to bathe there. Then, against his better judgement he decided to go for it. He didn’t want to appear dirty in front of her family.

*

“So, how did you guys meet?” Tami asked him for the upteenth time.

Sehun had been telling this story on repeat. Sitting on the floor at the serving table, he chatted to Minkyung’s family while Minkyung made breakfast in the kitchen. Occasionally Mrs. Kim would dip in and out from him to the kitchen and back. She was anxious that breakfast be perfect. Sehun wondered if serving the guests perfect food was a mother thing. He would have been fine with tea and toast but Mrs. Kim wanted him to have a proper meal.

“What do you like about my sister? Isn’t she a bore?” Tami pestered him with more questions. She was looking at him as if he were an exotic creature who had appeared out of a book or a spaceship. She just couldn’t believe anyone could be interested in Minkyung.

Nayeon, who had been watching him transfixed, caught his eye. Sehun gave her a smile which she didn’t return.

“Minkyung’s lovely,” Sehun told them. “Everytime I see her it’s like the world has stopped and it’s just the two of us.”

“Ugh! Yuck! I’m sorry I asked.” Tami made faces. Then she shoved Nayeon, who squealed. “There’s a kid here who calls Minkyung her mom. How do you feel about that? Have you ever dated a single mom before?”

Mrs. Kim’s all-hearing ears caught this. She flew to the table and smacked Tami’s head. “What are you talking about, you stupid girl?” She swore at her daughter. Tami swore right back and Sehun pretended not to hear them. After the squabble Mrs. Kim smiled at him as if she had not just pulled Tami’s hair and Tami had not gotten up, shoved Nayeon once again and stomped out of the house.

“Don’t mind her, she’s just playing,” Mrs. Kim laughed. “Nayeon is my child, not Minkyung’s, aren’t you Nayeon?”

Nayeon shook her head. Her eyes were full of tears. She screamed and ran into the kitchen.

Mrs. Kim started her chatter all over again. She talked about herself, her daughters, especially Minkyung and how wonderful she was. Sehun could tell she was sugar coating everything. He wished she wouldn’t go through such pains. He was only pretending to date her daughter, not walking Minkyung down the aisle. Mrs. Kim took his hands and started thanking him for taking care of Minkyung.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter