Five

Home?

***

Bombay Ten

Welsh Corgi Jaemin

Manx Jeno

Van Cat WinWin

Birman Jisung

Pomeranian Haechan


Havanese Jungwoo

***

 

“Dad, can we go to Kun hyung’s café first?” Mark asked as soon as he was seated in his children’s seat, waiting for his father to start the engine.

“Of course, we can. I think Kun will be very happy to see you.” Mark nodded, grinning brightly and Ten wondered who Kun was. He already accepted the fact that the father-son duo knew too many people. It seemed like Johnny sensed his confusion because he faced him with a warm smile.

“Kun is Lucas’ older brother. You remember Lucas, right?” Ten thought for a second and nodded after he recalled the memories of the tall security guard. “His brother owns a small, cozy café which we really love.”

“Dad, dad, dad! I want-“ The duo’s conversation faded into the background as Ten looked out of the car’s window. A tiny smile appeared on his face after he realized that Johnny hadn’t betrayed him. He and Mark were so nice to him, the hybrid still couldn’t believe that nice humans existed. Either he had found the exceptions or they were going to show their true selves. A shiver ran down his spine at the thought of his old owner and the hybrid felt a sharp pain as he dug his fingernails into his palms. Apart from his teeth, Ten’s nails also were sharper than the humans causing the simple action to hurt more than it should. Whining, he checked his palms, not noticing Johnny’s worried glances. Ten had to control his emotions better if he wanted to keep his story as a secret.

“Ten hyung, do you like chocolate?” Ten nodded and pressed his hands on his pants, thankful for the distraction.

 

 

“We’re here!” Johnny announced after he parked the car and got off to help Mark.

“I want a blueberry muffin! Dad can I have a blueberry muffin?” The four-year old chubby boy jumped excitedly and took his dad’s hand to cross the street safely. Ten still stood next to the door and looked around with big eyes. The streets were bustling. A huge amount of people were hurrying on the streets, cars were honking and a layer of dust was lingering in the air. Unlike dog hybrids, cat hybrids were trained to stay home. Their owners didn’t want others to see their pretty hybrids, deciding to keep them inside. Of course, Ten had lived on the streets for few months but he always made sure to avoid the busy streets in order to be hidden from the humans’ curious eyes. He preferred dark alleys and only came out of hiding when the humans were sleeping.

The new sight was overwhelming for him causing him to press himself flatly against the car. His eyes were shut tightly while he gasped for air. Within a second Johnny stood next to him, unsure whether he was allowed to touch Ten or not.

“Hey Ten, please calm down. Nobody is going to harm you. Mark and I are here. We’ll protect you from anyone. Please don’t be scared. There’s no reason for you to be scared.” Johnny tried to sound as calm as he could. Mark was clutching his leg rather tightly, eyes full of worry.

“Yes hyung, we’re here!” Ten tried to control his unsteadily beating heart. He KNEW that he wasn’t in danger right now but his body thought differently. It was reacting on its own, not listening to Ten, Mark nor Johnny.

The father was watching the hybrid helplessly until he couldn’t bear it any longer. His arms moved without his consent and pulled the shaking hybrid against his board chest. Ten was so tiny that he just barely reached Johnny’s neck. His fluffy ears were tickling the father’s chin who hoped to spend security through his hug. The hybrid however wasn’t moving at all, standing motionless in Johnny’s hold. He couldn’t deny that he felt a bit calmer since he couldn’t see anything beside the father’s chest and felt his fastened heartbeats but at the same time, he felt caged since he couldn’t move away. Hesitantly, Johnny nestled his right hand in Ten’s hair and started to carefully rub his ears. He knew that his pets were the best since Jaemin and Jeno always asked for some when they saw each other. And true to his words, he felt how Ten relaxed a bit and sighed quietly.

 

 

“D- dad?” Mark’s cracked voice cut through Ten’s motionlessness causing him to push Johnny aside to see the boy better. Like he feared, the boy was trying hard to hold his tears back as he glanced at his favorite hyung. Since Ten missed the warmth of Johnny’s hug, he wrapped his arms around the small boy and pulled him close.

“I’m alright, Markie. Please don’t cry. Sorry for worrying you!” he repeated quietly until the little boy pulled back and wiped his tears away.

“You have to stop crying, too.” Mark said smiling sadly as he wiped the hybrid’s tears away. Ten nodded hurriedly and made sure to smile as brightly as he could. For Mark he even would fake being alright on his death bed.

“Uhm…Ten, I’m sorry.” Johnny said quietly, looking away with flushed cheeks. “I should have known that it would be overwhelming for you. I’m very sorry. We should go back now, I bet you’re tired now.” Yes, Ten was tired, he was even exhausted but he didn’t miss the pout on Mark’s lips at the mention of returning home. He still felt bad about worrying the family so, he shook his head.

“We…we can go inside. Since we’re already here…” Ten straightened his shoulders and took Mark’s hand, ready to face his fears. Johnny didn’t seem convinced but he also didn’t want to decide for Ten. Sighing deeply, he took Mark’s outstretched hand and made sure to stick as close to Ten as possible.

 

 

***

 

 

The bell behind the door chimed brightly as the trio made their way into the café. Ten curiously looked around, taking the cozy interior design in. Colorful and comfortable looking chairs were spread in the rather small place, beautiful flowers and plants were decorating the tables and the smell of coffee was lingering in the air. Luckily, the café was completely empty and Ten felt the tension leaving his muscles. As they neared the counter, Ten observed the workers. A rather handsome man was standing in front of the expensive looking coffee machines and showed his dimples when he saw them.

“Hyung! Mark! What a surprise!” Ten liked the man’s deep voice and couldn’t deny how handsome the brown-haired boy was.

“Jaehyunnie hyung, hi!” Out of the corner of his eyes, Ten saw how the man ruffled Mark’s hair. He had to look a bit around until he could notice the other man. The man was hunched over the counter, a book clutched in his hand, seemingly not noticing the customers. His hair was nearly as black as Ten’s, his big black eyes were flying over the lines and his lips were moving silently.

“Ten hyung, you have to try the chocolate cake! Jungwoo hyung is the best baker ever.” Flinching, Ten pried his eyes from the cashier away and was startled when he came face to face with a dog hybrid.

“Hi, I’m Jungwoo! Who are you?” his pitch-black button eyes were gleaming excitedly. Ten wasn’t very fond of dog hybrids since they were too outgoing and hyper and Jungwoo seemed to be a typical dog hybrid. His stubborn strands were tied at the top of his head into a cute bun and his flappy ears were moving with every motion.

“I’m Ten.”

“As the number?” Jungwoo was grinning so brightly, that Ten felt himself blinding a bit. He nodded never the less and processed just now the information Mark gave him.

“You bake?” Ten’s mouth worked faster than his mind but the dog hybrid didn’t seem to be bothered by his tone.

“Yes. I work here with Kun hyung, Jaehyun hyung and Hendery!” He also worked? Johnny had told him that he knew many working hybrids but Ten thought that Sicheng was an exception.

 

 

“Ten, do you know what you want to drink?” Johnny pointed at the menu and watched how Ten cutely scrunched his nose up. The father cooed internally and moved his finger to the direction of the milkshakes.
“The milkshakes here are very delicious. I recommend the strawberry shake.” Ten quickly shook his head and made a disgusted noise.

“No fruits please. I think that I’ll try the caramel one?” The hybrid didn’t voice it but Johnny knew that he was asking for his permission.

“Of course. Let’s order!”

 

The trio made their way to the still oblivious cashier.

“Uhm hello?” Johnny coughed slightly and smiled when the boy flinched surprised.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” The boy flushed deeply and bowed a few times while he put his book away.

“No worries. You’re new here, right?” Tilting his head, the boy nodded twice and looked at the trio closely, trying to figure out weather he’d saw them before or not. He quickly moved his glance until he looked at Ten. Said hybrid realized too late that the man was also looking back at him which caused their eyes to meet. He quickly looked away but could feel the man’s eyes on him. Ten felt a little uncomfortable under his piercing stare and couldn’t stop the blush spreading on his cheeks.

“Hendery, stop checking Ten out and take their orders!” Jaehyun snickered from the side and winked at Ten who gaped like a fish. Hendery was checking him out?

“I- I was not- omg, no! Uhm, sorry. I’m a mess today!” Hendery’s face was beet red as he facepalmed.

“It’s ok.” Johnny chuckled and felt bad for the boy who obviously had a bad day. “I’m Johnny and that’s my son Mark. We’re Kun’s friends. And this is Ten.” he tried to ease the younger’s nerves.

“Well, that’s Hendery. He’s new in Seoul and works here for two weeks.” Jungwoo put a hand on the boy’s shoulder and smiled apolitically.

“Yes…I came to Korea for college. I’m a sports student.” Hendery smiled awkwardly and tried to avoid looking at the cat hybrid.

“That’s cool! Welcome here then.” Johnny smiled warmly and sent Mark and Ten away to find a table as he ordered their drinks.

 

 

***

 

 

“What do you think about the café, Ten?” Johnny asked the curious hybrid who watched Jaehyun closely trying to understand what the barista was doing.

“I like it! It’s very cute.” Mark was drawing a picture peacefully and Ten felt very comfortable.

“It’s a pity that Chenle is sick. I’m sure that Kun would’ve loved to meet you. His hybrid kitten, Renjun, is a handful and he doesn’t know any adult cat hybrids to ask for tips.” Ten nodded understanding, wondering what Kun’s questions were.

The trio flinched a bit when Hendery shakenly stood in front of them.

“Yay, my muffin!” Mark made grabby hands towards Hendery, who put the orders on the table. With a last lingering look at Ten’s direction and a deep bow, he walked back to the counter and tried to tone his staring down. Johnny grinned amusedly and tried to hold his laugh in when he noticed Ten’s confusion.

 

Shaking his head, Ten took the fork and tried the cake. A moan left his mouth at the taste of the delicious cake.

“This is so yummy!” he exclaimed and proceeded to stuff his cheeks with it.

“I told you, Jungwoo hyung is the best!” Mark laughed excitedly and took a big bite of his muffin.

“THANK YOU!” Jungwoo was jumping excitedly behind the counter, wagging his tail so uncontrollably that Ten saw how it hit Jaehyun. Ten beamed at him and held his thumb up. He only stopped grinning, when he heard a loud gasp and then a low whine when Jaehyun laughed loudly.

“Hendery, you’re helpless.” Ten didn’t understand but he also didn’t care. The cake and the milk shake were too delicious to think about something else.

“Why is Hendery hyung’s face so red?” Mark asked innocently what caused everybody but Ten and Hendery to laugh out loud.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“You’ll come to Xiaojun’s birthday party, right?” Jaehyun asked when the trio was ready to leave.

“Of course! Dad, we still need a present!” Mark gasped terrified and tried to push the adults out of the café. “We have to shop now!”

“See you next week!” Johnny shouted, waving before they left the café.

“Ok, let’s go shopping!” Ten took Johnny’s outstretched hand and pressed himself to his side. He hoped that nothing bad would happen.

 

 

***

AN: I'm back...I know it took me ages but mama, I made it! :D
Thank you for reading and let's meet at the next chapter <3