Episode 1

The Girl He Did Not Know He Needed

“Oh shi– no no bad word.” the woman scolded herself while sitting on the floor of the KBS lobby rifling through her backpack.

 

“I think I left it at home!” she gasped in realization. She thought for a while and then clicked her fingers when an idea popped into her mind. “I know, I’ll call Hyun Joon-oppa–” but then physically deflated when she remembered, “He’s out driving Sunyoung for her musical.” she sighed, the truth was that Hyun Joon-oppa was supposed to accompany her but because another manager suddenly got sick and there was no one to replace him on such short notice. And because her own schedule is just near while Sunyoung was on the farther edge of Seoul, she was the one without a manager today. 

 

She moaned in helplessness “Otteokhae! I’m going to be late!”

 

Taking a deep breath she steeled herself, if a push comes into a shove she can borrow from someone she knew. Taking another deep breath, a voice came out of nowhere and asked:

 

“Chogiyo, are you okay?” a deep and melodic voice asked for her well-being but because she was in the middle of inhaling precious air, her surprise from a stranger suddenly speaking caused her to choke from the air she was going to exhale. If that was possible.

 

Coughing to catch her breath and pounding at her chest to somehow relieve her of the air that she choked on, the stranger behind her sprung into action.

 

“Omo! Are you okay? Sorry for startling you.” He apologized and then crouched with her on the floor and proceeded to rub circles on her back. He even continued to sting apologies and ask if she was okay. But that was something that she was not consciously aware of.

 

It took a little while but when she finally got her breathing in control she turned to the stranger who helped her (who was also the cause of the situation to begin with, mind you) but it was what was polite so she mustered her best smile. Or the best that she could make right now when she almost did stare at death’s door for a few minutes. She turned to thank the stranger, “I’m fine now, than–” but she was not able to continue what she was going to say when she saw the person who was crouching with her. Too stunned to say anything, she sat there wide-eyed looking at the man in a dazed manner. She knew if she was standing, there was a large possibility that she would crumple on the floor with just the sight of him.

 

The man did not know what to do. He does not even know how to react, because right there in front of him – sitting on the floor if you wanted to be more specific – was one of the most intriguing sights he has seen in a very long time. At first, when he saw the person he thought he was just a normal staff (he did not know why he even noticed but notice he did) but when he saw the person stop at the ID scanner that will admit you to the more restricted parts of the KBS building (i.e. recording studios, offices, etc.) and rifle through his bag he knew there was something wrong. It cemented his observation when the person proceeded to walk to the corner and just sat on the floor to continue looking inside it, almost upending the bag but not quite yet. A little bit concerned and since he was heading there anyway, albeit he did have to make a small detour to go to the corner that the guy situated himself in, he approached the person to ask what was wrong. Maybe he could help him.

 

“Chogiyo, are you okay?”

 

He seemed to have taken a deep breath when he reached him and to his horror proceeded to choke on it because he startled him. The shock was only temporary so he sprang into action, to help with whatever he could. And to his chagrin the only thing that he could do was ask he was alright, apologize and then crouch with her on the floor and proceeded to rub circles on his back. He continued to murmur apologies and ask whether he was okay. Although he was curious about the little bumps that he could feel while he continued to rub this person’s back he decided to file it in his head to ask of find out about it at a later time. It took a minute or so before the person finally got his breath back but he was so glad that he even breathed a sigh of relief. 

 

“I’m fine now, than–” the person was going to say something to him but was not able to finish what he was saying. And there he could finally see the face that was hidden under the baseball cap before. The face was familiar, it was boyish yet feminine. No, the face was feminine and yet he could see its boyish qualities. He was confused, so he was trying to place where he saw the woman.

 

Yes, woman.

 

Even through her bare face, he could see her strong yet delicate features that he was sure that will only be enhanced with makeup. He could see that she was slim through her baggy clothes. And no, she was not slim in a sickly way like what he sees in most of the women in this industry, but slim in a healthy way, like– he was not able to continue the thought when a raggedly breathing man interrupted it.

 

“Amber?” the man asked, still breathing heavily. And if he was not mistaken the man was a member of the staff on one of the shows in the station. Or was it a music show? A variety show? But he was cut off his musings (again) when the woman, ‘Amber’ his mind supplied, answered.

 

“Oh. Young Soo-oppa, what are you doing here?” when he heard her answer the staff’s inquiry with another question he looked at her again. He could see her closing her backpack, and seemed that she gave up looking for whatever it was.

 

She was going to stand up so he stood up first himself (he did not even notice that he was still in his crouched position) to help her. He offered his hand to help her stand. Amber looked at his hand and he could see a bit of redness on her cheeks when she looked at him, he only smiled in encouragement. She looked at his hand again and he was afraid that she would not take it when she nervously put her hand on his extended one. If he had any doubts before that the person in front of him was a woman then her hands would’ve erased those doubts because her hand was almost dwarfed by his when he helped her up. Her hand was also soft in a way that a woman’s hands could only have. And he did not know if it was his imagination but his and Amber’s hand met he felt what he could only describe as a jolt of electricity. But when he saw her widened eyes he was sure that he was not the only one that felt it.

 

“Thank you.” Amber murmured, loud enough for him to hear. When they both let go of each other’s hand she swore that he squeezed her hand. But that was not possible right? So she shook that off and the jolt of electricity that she felt earlier. She bowed and repeated her thanks.

 

Amber turned to the direction of the staff – Young Soo – just in time to hear him say, “What do you mean, what am I doing here? I was looking for you of course. You’re not the type to be late so I thought something might’ve happened. Also, your manager called and told me that you’re going to be alone today because he had to drive Luna and asked me to look over you today.”

 

‘Manager? So that must mean that she’s a celebrity.’ He thought. Then the man must’ve finally gathered his wits as he finally noticed him standing a little bit behind Amber as his eyes widened in recognition then he bowed deeply before he apologized.

 

“Song Joong Ki-ssi, I’m sorry I did not notice you. Was I interrupting something?” and then proceeded to look at him and Amber as if wanting to solve a mystery that he only knows about. After all, it was a strange mix. The most sought out actor and the androgynous social butterfly.

 

Amber squealed in shock before saying, “Oppa! That’s not it! We –” but she wasn’t able to finish her rushed explanation when he said:

 

“Actually you were interrupting something.” Joong Ki told the staff seriously. 

 

The man looked between him and Amber repeatedly before realization lit up his eyes and then told Amber hurriedly, “I’ll wait for you at the meeting room. You know where it is right? Your manager also told me that you forgot to take your ID from him so here, I got you a temporary pass.” he the ID pass in Amber’s hand and walked (jogged?) to the turnstiles and back to the hallway of the restricted area. 

 

Amber could only stare at the hallway where Young Soo disappeared to dumbfounded, the ID pass now on her upturned right hand. She did not even know if her mind was playing tricks on her but she swears that she had seen Young Soo walk away with a skip on his step.

 

A sigh was heard before the person who sighed spoke, “Joong Ki-ah, do you want to start a scandal?” came the exasperated question from his manager who remained quiet up until that moment.

 

“Hyung, what are you saying? There won’t be a scandal. Right Amber-ah?” Joong Ki assured his manager.

 

Amber could only gape at the man. She had been living in Korea for more than half of her life and yet she had never encountered a Korean who did not grow up or stayed abroad act so familiar with her in their first meeting and without her own convincing them to treat her casually and use banmal (informal language) with her.

 

To think that they haven’t even introduced themselves properly. True, this man in front of her doesn’t even need to introduce himself. After rising to fame as an actor with the drama “Descendants of the Sun” where he became a household name in Korea and other countries after starring in it

 

And… Amber might have a little crush on the man. Okay, a lot. So meeting him like this took her out of her element for a moment when she saw him crouched beside her… okay, she’ll admit it, she’s still felt out of her element. Happy?

 

Joong Ki must’ve remembered that they haven’t really introduced themselves yet, so he did so. It was a welcome relief to Amber because to her chagrin, she did not think that she was capable of constructing a sentence right now. I mean, this is Song Joong Ki in the flesh in front of her. If it were you, would you be able to talk without properly preparing yourself from the overwhelming charisma that the man possessed? ‘Cause she can’t period.

 

“Annyeonghasseyo, my name is Song Joong Ki. And this is my manager Lee Tae Jun.”

 

His manager bowed and greeting and then said “Nice to meet you.”

 

The idol bowed in return and introduced herself.

 

“I’m Amber Liu from the girl group f(x). Nice to meet you.”

 

Recognition lit up Tae Jun’s eyes as he could now place the face and the name of the woman in front of him.

 

“You’re from SM Entertainment right? The one from Real Men the one who said “Forget it”?” Amber just shyly nodded at the manager’s question.

 

She could not believe that people still couldn’t forget her blunder from that show, and to think that that aired years ago!

 

Joong Ki just stood there processing what his manager said. Wracking his brain as to why it was so familiar, he finally remembered the clip of that video. It was cute, he could totally understand her frustration on that video, although he did not have the same problems in terms of understanding the language he did know the frustration of not being able to express what you wanted to say.

 

Tae Jun’s phone beeped at that moment. The manager took his phone out and informed Joong Ki. “We should go. It’s almost time for the meeting.”

 

Joong Ki then looked at his wrist and nodded and said “I think–“ but he was cut off because Amber gasped and hurriedly grabbed his wrist and looked at the time herself.

 

“Oh no! I’m going to be late!” she then proceeded to bow at them and said. “Thank you for helping me! I’m sorry but I really need to go.” the idol all but dashed to the turnstiles and ran to where she needed to go.

 

Joong Ki just watched her go. She was really interesting, nothing like any of the women he knew.

 

By the time Amber arrived at the meeting room, she was already breathing heavily. She really didn’t need to run because there was at least twenty or so minutes left before the meeting starts but she was weak-kneed in front of Joong Ki-sunbaenim. Running away from him was the only way she could guarantee that she won’t make an even more of an idiot of herself.

 

“Amber, you’re here!” Yong Soo, who was waiting for her just a little bit out of ways from the meeting room, happily exclaimed. Then looked around them before leaning over her and whispering “Are you done with your date?” he asked her in a low tone his voice tinted with giddiness.

 

A shocked gasp came out of the idol’s mouth before she hissed to him, “Young Soo-oppa stop that before someone hears you. It wasn’t like that okay. Joong Ki-oppa was just playing with you. Today is the first time I met him.”

 

There was still a doubtful look in his eyes but he still nodded in understanding. Amber just sighed and motioned the staff to follow her to the meeting room.

 

When she entered the room the flurry of activity suddenly died down and stared at her. She did not fault them for being speechless or confused. She herself, did not even know why she even got herself in this position. Another sigh came out of her lips.

 

When the Director and the drama Writer noticed the commotion. Or the lack thereof, they finally came out of the bubble that they were in and in quick steps guided her to her seat.

 

“Amber! We’re so glad that you accepted the offer! Sorry but we can only discuss the details when everyone is here.” the Writer, Kim Min Hee, sadly informed her but everyone could see that she was giddy with excitement.

 

The Director, Kim Joon Soo – who was also Kim Min Hee’s husband – tapped her on the shoulder and said “We need to go back to our seats. Most of the cast is here.” they turned to do just that but not before the director gave her a small smile.

 

When she was finally sat on her chair, the woman sitting next to her turned to her and introduced herself.

 

“Nice to meet you Amber-ssi. I’m Kim Seul Gi.” she said with a smile that Amber could not help but return.

 

Minding her manners, she turned to the woman before doing the same “Likewise. My name is Amber from f(x).” so focused on the woman next to her she did not notice the murmur that began when someone entered the room. So when she blindly reached for her bottle of water, opened it, and was drinking when she finally turned her attention back to the table.

 

That was when she saw the person in front of her and just like the first time she saw him.

 

She choked.

 

Not with air but now with water. She did not know whether she should be glad that she didn’t spray the water that she was drinking or mortified when the majority of the people in the room are people she hasn’t even met yet see her do something embarrassing. In her coughing feat, she could hear the shuffling feet of people that might’ve wanted to help her but did not know-how. And she could even feel the steady hit of Seul Gi’s palm on her back.

 

Oh god, kill her now.