The Dinner

Serendipity

 

CHAPTER 8

 

 

“Yujin-ah, it’s going to be fine.” Mrs. Ahn said as she looked behind, noticing how Yujin had been fidgeting and keep making deep breath ever since morning “It’s going to be fine.”

“You’ll be fine honey.” Mr. Ahn said, focusing on the road, they are on their way to the Kim’s house.

“I’m not so sure about that.” Yujin uttered in all honesty

Mrs. Ahn smiled at her, clueless on what Yujin is battling “I understand what it feels like.”

‘No you don’t. This was different’

She knows how to lie. Admittingly, she lied to them more than once but not to this extent, not like this.

 

“I thought my heart will burst out of my chest when I was on my way to meet your grandparents” She said chuckling

“I thought I was going to pee on myself during that time too” Mr. Ahn added “First meeting was always the most nerve-wrecking moment and I’m pretty sure Minjoo herself is having an emotional breakdown right now.”

 

Minjoo grabbed her left hand by her right hand to stop it from trembling, but it wouldn’t.  

“You okay, sweetheart?” Grandma Kim asked seeing Minjoo walking back and forth to the living room

“Y-yeah, I’m fine.”

Grandma Kim smiles “Are you sure, because you’re shaking.”

Minjoo clasp her hands to stop herself from shaking “I just…” she blew out a breath “I haven’t done this before. I don’t know how to do this.”

Grandma smiles to her again “And who does? I choked up when I met my in-laws. I almost begged your grandfather to break up with me just so I didn’t have to push through with meeting them.”

Minjoo chuckles not believing her “No, you didn’t”

Grandma Kim nodded chuckling softly “Oh, I did.” Then she takes Minjoo’s hands

“I don’t know if I can really do this.” Minjoo said weakly. If I can really push through with this lie.

Grandma Kim squeezed her hand gently “You’re going to meet the family of someone who you could potentially spend your lifetime with, of course you’ll be terrified, that’s your whole life we’re talking about here. I’ll be damned if you weren’t.”

 

And at that moment Minjoo knew that she dug a hole so deep she doesn’t know how to escape from.

 

“Wait!” Yujin said, stopping her father from ringing the doorbell of the Kim’s house

“Yujin…” Mr. Ahn said softly “It’ll be fine.”

“I don’t think I can do this.” Yujin breathe deeply, almost begging “Let’s just go home.”

 

Mrs. Ahn gave her a reassuring smile “It’s going to be okay. It’s normal to feel nervous and scared. First meeting is always the hardest but I’m sure you’ll do just fine.”

“And what you just said right now is the same thing as what your mother said when I introduce her to your grandparents and look at us.” Mr. Ahn said smiling at her “So why don’t you take a deep breath and relax.”

“Dad, you don’t unders—“

 

Ding, dong!

 

“tand…” Mr. Ahn had rung the doorbell before Yujin could finish what she’s saying.

 

 

“Oh, they’re here!” Grandma Kim said excitedly as soon as the sound of the door bell echoed

“Come on, come on!” Mrs. Kim said walking towards the door

“Don’t look too excited, you might scare them” Mr. Kim joked as Mrs. Kim hit him softly.

 

Minjoo closed her eyes and released a deep breath “You can do this Minjoo.”

 

 

“Dad!”

“What?”

“I told you, I can’t do it!” Yujin said her heart beating like crazy “I...I don— this is crazy. I’m going crazy”

Mr. Kim squeezed her shoulder “I understand you perfectly. I’ve been there and like what your mother said, it’s perfectly normal to feel that way.”

“I don—“ Yujin stopped when she heard soft giggles coming closer and closer.

 

Yujin stiff frozen, she feels like that for every step taken towards them is like a death coming for her and as soon as the gate open, everything had left her body.

 

“Grandma Kim?” Mrs. Ahn asked unbelievably, her husband mirroring the same expression as soon Grandma Kim come into view “Is that really you?!”

Grandma Kim answered with a smile “It’s been so long.”

Mrs. Ahn immediately hug her “I miss you… I really miss you.”

“I miss you too dear.” Grandma Kim said returning the hug “I’m so glad to see you again.”

 

Grandma Kim had asked Yujin not to tell her parents as she wanted to surprise them and she did. But truth to be told she had forgotten about it, all she could think about was how to withdraw everything she told her parents and now it’s too late.

 

“You must be Minjoo.” Mrs. Ahn said smiling from ear to ear at Minjoo

Minjoo smiles softly “It’s nice to meet you Mrs. Ahn.”

“It’s nice to meet you too Minjoo.” Mrs. Ahn said, smile not leaving her face and gaze not leaving Minjoo “Yujin didn’t mention how pretty you are.”

Minjoo looked down shyly “Thank you.”

 

“Good evening, Grandma Kim.” Yujin said as she greeted and hugged the older woman

“A really good evening it is.” Grandma Kim said hugging her in return

 

Then she gaze at Minjoo’s parents, “M-Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim.” She greeted politely.

“Look at you, you were so little last time I saw you and here you are.” Mrs. Kim said smiling at her

“You grow up so well, literally.” Mr. Kim added, smiling

“She took that from me.” Mr. Ahn said proudly

 

“Let’s continue this inside, the evening is just starting.” Grandma Kim said excitedly as everyone agreed except for two people who are already dying from their spot. 

Fortunately, the parents together with Grandma Kim was too engrossed to talk on the way inside the house that they didn’t notice how the couple is ignoring each other’s presence, but more like Yujin ignoring Minjoo’s.

 

 

Yujin’s POV

 

Grandma Kim sat in the center while Mr. and Mrs. Kim sat on her left side while my parents sat on her right side facing Minjoo’s parents. I sat down beside my parents and to my surprised Minjoo sat beside me. Her father told her to sit beside them but Minjoo insisted to sit beside me because I looked nervous, and I wouldn’t deny it, I looked more than freaking nervous. And to be honest she does too. I could see her hand shaking too.

It was a good five minutes before I could at least calm the strong shake of my hands, enough for me to concentrate on what I had to do and what could happen if  I wasn't very careful.

The first thirty minutes was all about the adults catching up, Minjoo and I were hardly part of it, I was so nervous that I don’t even hear what they are saying and all I could hear was the beating of my heart. The adults catching up are supposed to at least calm me because the more time passes that they’re not asking us the lower the chance that we have to speak and get caught but it wouldn’t. It makes me crazier to be honest, it felt like I was a criminal with a verdict of death sentence but never know when’s my time, the agony of waiting at its finest.

 

“Enough with the adults.” Gradma Kim said, within a second all eyes are on us but it felt like it was all on me. Panic surged, my stomach rose, and my body began to shake, thank God that my hands were already down or we would get caught on the spot with my hands trembling real hard. “Why don’t we talk about you two?”

My body instantly tensed and I felt Minjoo did too, I saw her hands shaking too but when I looked at her, her face tells different. There was no sign of nervousness on it, like she’s wearing a mask.

 

“How’s school?” Grandma Kim asked

“We just survived the exam week so I’ll say it’s great.” Minjoo answered playfully without a waver on her voice. Oh God! How could she do that? I swear to God that at this point one word from me and I’m already giving us away.

“How about you Yujin?” Grandma Kim asked, though I knew I was next to being asked I still flinched at the sound of my name “How’s your school? Must have been hard to leave everything at States and transfer here.”

I swallowed real hard before I looked at her, as everyone’s eyes are on me including Minjoo. “It’s fine. I am adapting well.” I said, amazed that my voice was sounding so normal when every inch of me was practically shaking.

“You sure does, you got yourself a girlfriend.” My father teased that made everyone chuckles.

I wanted to scream, ‘she’s making it hell’ but of course I could not do that, so instead I fake a smile. A awkward-fake smile, could not imagine what does that look like.

“Honestly, when Yujin said that she has a girlfriend I really thought that it’s Hyewonie” Hyewon-unnie?! That’s like dating your older sister. How could she think that “I mean, she’s the only friend Yujin had brought home and mentioned to us, I cannot believe that she has other friend and turns out a girlfriend” Mom added with a smile which is unnecessary because none of it is funny.

“Oh, Hyewonie? Kang Hyewon?” Grandma Kim asked, she must’ve remembered her.

Mom nodded “Have you met her?” she asked curiously

Grandma Kim nodded “Yeah, I’ve met her once, you studied together right?”

I nodded “She helps me on my math subjects.”

“Yujin isn’t really a fond of Math.” Father said “She totally hates it.” Does he really need to say it?

“Then maybe next time Minjoo can help you.” Mrs. Kim said “She’s quiet good at Math, what do you say?”

“I… I’m trying to put my best foot forward and I don’t think her seeing me losing my soul because of Math isn’t one of them.” I said cheekily, fighting the rise of terror. I was here and I had a role to play, there was no time for fear or panic right now. “I might scare her away,” Oh I wish she would just go away.

 

So the talks about studies went on and on and just when I’m starting to get ease…

 

“How did you two meet again? Woman our age loves to hear stories like this.” Mrs. Kim asked “Minjoo kept mum about it.”

“Yujin did too.” Mother added “I’m curious too.”

 

“W-We me—“

“We met on the first day of school.” Minjoo finished the word for me “She called me mean girls.”

“Yujin did?” Father asked in amusement

“She called me stupid first.” I said immediately, defending myself and everyone chuckles, that’s not even funny.

“You started out bad but look at you two now.” Grandma Kim said softly “Who would’ve thought right?”

“Who would also thought that after missing and not meeting each other years ago, you’ll find your way to each other like this.” Mrs. Kim said

“If that isn’t destiny I don’t know what is.” Mom remarks, Oh God mom since when did you start watching drama.

I almost choked from my mother’s remarks. I don’t even want to look at Minjoo right now this dinner has been nothing but a decrease of my lifespan, and if it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be here fake laughing and lying in front of everyone’s faces.

At this moment, I would give everything for this to end.

But I guess, luck isn’t really on my side, it hates me in fact.

 

“So, I know I shouldn’t be asking this especially in front of everyone around here but the older woman had to ask” Grandma Kim chuckles then added with that cheeky glint in his eyes “Forgive me, but who ask who?”

“Come on, don’t be shy.” Grandma Kim said with a smile “We’re already a family.”

“I…We…” I trailed off, I could feel and hear the quiver in my voice, it was all in the file that Minjoo had sent me last night but I’m having a black out. “I—“ was about to say something again when I felt a warm hand on mine

“It was me.” It was Minjoo who answered, I held my breath as I felt her hand squeezing my right hand softly and suddenly the panic began to ease.

“Of course you did.” Mr. Kim said “If I were Yujin and you called me stupid on our first meeting, I would surely stay away from you” he said, and I regretted that I didn’t do that,

“It was Yujin who went to me first though.” Minjoo said and I glanced at her. The hell she’s saying. She must’ve felt that I’m taking my hands away because she held it tighter. “Not to hit on me though, she defended me to someone disrespecting me even after our bad start.”

“And you didn’t tell us? Who is that? I need to teach that guy a lesson.” Mr, Kim said and I could see the anger from him, I couldn’t blame him though “Tell me who that man is and I swe—“

“Dad, it’s okay.” Minjoo said

“It’s not okay honey.” Mrs. Kim said worriedly as my parents both agreed.

“I’m fine, nothing really happens and it’s not like I would let him and besides Yujin came.” Minjoo said smiling softly “She was like a knight in shining armor that day.” She said and I almost puke. I could clearly remember what she told me right after I defended her.

“I’m proud of you Yujin-ah.” Mom said as father looked proudly at me. Both Mr. and Mrs. Kim thanked me as well as Grandma Kim.

“Your grandmother would be so proud of you.” Grandma Kim said but I don’t think that she will after seeing what I’m doing right now.

“So long story short, after that day, I practically begged her to date me.” Minjoo said playfully, isn’t that the truth? “And here we are.” Yes, damn here we are.

 

End of POV

 

Once out on the dining room, the tension that had been so much of the last few hours slithered from Yujin’s body, and she was suddenly able to breathe easier. It was the awareness that the lie that they are doing to everyone can cause heartbreak to everyone especially to Grandma Kim had wounding her up so tight.

 

And just when Yujin thought that she could finally breathe, Mr. Kim spoke behind her. “Mind if I join you?”

Yujin tensed instantly.

“Don’t worry, I don’t bite.” Mr. Kim said lightening the mood, noticing how rugged Yujin’s breathing is.  “How are you feeling?”

’Dying.’ G-great.” She answered voice trembling that made Mr. Kim chuckles.

“You don’t look great though.” Mr. Kim pointed out seeing sweating breaking out on Yujin’s brows, he patted her shoulder lightly “You did great tonight, you did better than me when I met Minjoo’s grandparents.” The panic is slowly fading but doesn’t mean she’s not dying on the spot.

“First of all I would like to thank you for what you did to Minjoo.” He said smiling at Yujin warmly “It’s my duty as a father and if I could be with her all the time just to make sure she’s safe I would but I can’t. I wish that there are more people like you out there, who would bravely defend someone.”

“I hope so too.” Yujin said, not everyone has the guts to speak when they’re being treated badly but she hope there’s always someone who would stand up for them.

“Knowing that Minjoo have you on her side when I couldn’t makes me feel at ease.” Mr. Kim said smiling warmly at her “Please don’t get tired to look after her.”

 

Yujin felt sweat running down her spine, how does she respond to that?

 

“Dad.” Minjoo called to her father and for the first time Yujin had been thankful to Minjoo “Mom’s looking for you at the living room.”

Mr. Kim nodded “Talk to you later then.” He told Yujin then left.

 

Minjoo could feel the tension on Yujin, “What did father told her?” she thought as she slowly went to Yujin’s.

There was nothing but silent after Mr. Kim left but Yujin could feel the weight of Minjoo’s gaze. “If you want to say something, don’t just stand there wearing that awkward look on your face or might as well confess to everyone about our lies which I highly prefer.”

 Minjoo blew a breath then stood Yujin’s side, she couldn’t blame her if she totally hates her right now.

“I’m sorry.” Minjoo whispered but enough for Yujin to hear “I know Grandma means so much to you and I’m really, really sorry that I made you lie to her. I really do.”

“What is your sorry going to make?” Yujin asked voice holding an edge as she looked at Minjoo

Minjoo looked down, didn’t answer.

“Do you even realize what this lie means? What it could do?” Frustration and worries mixing on Yujin’s voice

“I know.”

“No you don’t!” Yujin said as quiet as possible “Because if you do we wouldn’t be here.”

Minjoo didn’t argue back.

“I’m not a saint, I sure do lie but not like this okay, you cannot just make this lie go away or forgive you tomorrow if they found out about it today.” Yujin said, voice full of worry “Let’s not think about what both our parents think when they found out, let’s just think about your grandma… what happens if she finds out? What happens if she finds out that we both lie to her in order to make her happy?”

 

“It would break her heart.” Minjoo answered.

“We might as well be the one to kill her.”

 

“That’s why she can never find out.”

 

 

 

Let's be friends, follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/MarchSerenity09

 

Also, this is my first time trying this but if you could tweet #JinJooSerendipity and tell me what you think, I'll be happy to read them. ^_^