Yujin's Decision

Serendipity

CHAPTER 7

 

 

Minjoo’s POV

 

I took a deep breath before I entered the house. I had been racking her brain out to think of what to tell my grandma on why my fake girlfriend could not attend the agreed dinner.

I made this lie for grandma to be happy and it’s turning the opposite. Yujin haven’t reply to any of my messages. I know it’s not her fault and I don’t have the right to get mad at her. We don’t know each other, she probably hates me for my past action towards her and she clearly told me that she didn’t want to be part of this but I didn’t have a choice.

I should be thankful to her for not telling my lie the moment it left my mouth. I guess it’s too much to ask that she lied for a stranger like me on a second time.

 

But why does she have to agree to my grandmother if she’s going to do this?

 

I didn’t know her but from what I saw during our charity event last time, she had soft spot for grandmother. I guess that’s a big reason why she could not tell the truth the first time and why she probably said yes to grandma about dinner but it made things worst.

Grandma will surely get sad for this and it didn’t really help that Yujin is her best friend’s granddaughter.

 

I should probably tell the truth now before it actually gets worst if it isn’t already.

 

 

“Minjoo-ah…” I heard grandma called, her voice so soft, how can I tell her that it was a lie “Busy at school again? It’s already late”

 

I looked at my watch 8:50PM. “Yeah, I lost track of time.” Which is true but not because of school but because of my lie.

 

“Why are you still awake?” I asked walking towards her

“I grabbed some water.” She answered.

 

I should tell the truth while I had the chance.

 

“Grandma, I need to tell you something.” I said. My heart beating so fast

“What is it?”

 

I swallowed as I looked at her “Yujin and I, we—“

“I know.”

 

My heart dropped. I guess it was obvious that it wasn’t real.

“Is it obvious?” I asked. I guess, I was too naïve to even think that I’d be able to fool her or everyone.

 

Grandma reached for my hand, as she gave me a soft look and it made me feel so guilty. How could I even think that lying for her sake would make her happy “I’m sorry.”

 

“Why are you sorry? If there’s anything that you should do is it’s to talk to Yujin, talk things out.” She said and it confused me.

“What?”

“Yujin called earlier.” She said “I heard that you guys you’re not in speaking terms right now. Well I kind of had an idea when you’ve both said that you haven’t talk because you’re too busy because of exam. You’re studying in the same school how could you not see each other even for a second, right?”

 

That confused me more.

What in the world did Yujin told to Grandma? She had the nerve to call her and not reply to my messages.

 

“I am not going to ask what you two fought about but I hope you talk things through tonight. Never sleep mad nor have an unsettled argument. It will only make things worse.”

 

What exactly Yujin told her?

 

“She told me that her parents agreed to the dinner tomorrow”

 

WHAT?!

 

“S-she did?” My heart starts beating loudly “She really did?”

“Of course, I didn’t even doubt it.” She answered smiling “I told you to just trust her, right?”

“I…” I don’t even know what to say really. So when she said she knew. It wasn’t our lie. It was another lie.

“That’s why I want you to keep in mind that when you have an argument, talk it out.” She said “I can’t be here all the time to be both your messenger.”

“Grandma…” I said, how could she say things like that even if it’s a joke or not?

“It’s true.” She said “I won’t be here for a long and you know that and I don’t want to spend my limited time here being a messenger for my two lovely grandchildren.”

 

 

I sit on my bed contemplating if I’d call or just send a message to Yujin.

I opened my messages and went to Yujin’s, I had sent couples of messages if it weren’t hundred already but there was no reply what difference would it make if I send one now. But it should, right? The mere fact that she actually tell Grandma that she’s coming with her parents should make a difference.

And what exactly did she tell her parents? Is it the truth or the opposite? I have no idea know but I need to know. I have to know to prepare for tomorrow. One wrong answer and my family will find out and I can’t let that happen.

I have to know what’s on her mind, I need to know.

 

End of POV

 

Yujin have been staring at her Grandma’s photo inside her bedroom ever since her talk with her parents.

 

“I didn’t know what came up to me.” Yujin uttered “It was wrong and I shouldn’t have done that. And I’m sure if you were you would tell me the same. I didn’t just lie to Grandma Kim, also to Mom and Dad.”

“I wanted to take it back as soon as it left my mouth but I couldn’t. Mom…” Yujin sighed “It would’ve been so much easier if she didn’t look happy but she does, she looks like a kid who got her candy even Dad too.”

“I’m sure you’d wanted me to meet Grandma Kim again but not like this and I’m sorry that I let it be this way. I’m really sorry.”

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Yujin-ah, is everything alright?” Mrs. Ahn asked worriedly noticing how Yujin had been walking back and forth to the living while she’s preparing dinner and keep making a deep sigh while having a dinner

Yujin put down her chopstick as she looked at her parents who are looking at her worriedly “I… have something to tell you.”

“You can always tell us anything honey.” Mrs. Ahn said as she reached her daughters hand and caress it softly “Anything”

Yujin swallowed “I…I—never mind.” She said then rose from her seat and was about to left but her mother got hold tight of her hand

“Yujin…” Her mother said softly “We are your parents, whatever it is, you can tell us.”

 

Yujin stare at her mother, then to her father who nodded his head softly.

 

“I…”

“My grandmother is dying…”

 

“Have…”

“12 months, just for 12 months.”

 

 

Yujin shut her eyes as she whispered the word “A girlfriend…”

 

End of Flashback

 

 

 

 

Then her phone beeps.

 

She hasn’t looked at her phone yet but she has a feeling that it was Minjoo.

And damn she’s right.

 

 

‘I heard from my Grandma. I don’t know exactly what you told grandma or what you told your parents to make them agreed to come. I was hoping I could talk to you tonight but I’m sure it’s not easy for you and this day had been a very long day for you.

Thank you for doing this. It really means a lot.

In case you told your parents what I had told to mine and Grandma, I sent you an email; please take your time to read. See you tomorrow.’

 

 

“Unbelievable.” Yujin mumble seeing the attached file of their ‘story’