The Invitation

Serendipity

CHAPTER 6

 

“Thank you for agreeing to tutor me again.”

“It’s fine. I only have two exams tomorrow and I’m done reviewing for it” Hyewon answered

“Seriously though, does it even make sense? It’s not like I can use finding X in the future”

Hyewon chuckles at Yujin’s remarks.

“And also, why do they keep teaching simple equation during class, it’s like 1+1=2 but during exam it’s like, if 1+1=2 then what is the distance between 3 and 4 to the sun.” Yujin said in frustration

Hyewon laughed this time. “No they don’t. You ju—“

“Please don’t tell me that I need to just focus and listen well. You have no idea how focus I am during my Math class, I don’t even blink.” Yujin said “This one single class is stressing me out more than my 7 other subjects combine.”

“I know.” Hyewon said as she tapped Yujin’s back softly “You’ll do well tomorrow. I’m sure of it.”

Yujin made a deep sighed “As if Math exam isn’t stressing me enough, there’s this thing with Minjoo too that’s way more stressing.”

“You haven’t heard a word from her?”

Yujin shook her head and sighed “I’m not sure if that’s good or a bad thing,”

“I thought you already decided to just go on the 1st option.”

“Yeah, but I don’t how to tell Grandma Kim. I don’t know where she lives or any means to contact her. It’s not like I can ask Minjoo and say, hey, can I have grandma Kim’s number, I’ll just tell her how big liar you are”

“Yeah, you can’t do that, its suicide.” Hyewon said “It’s almost two weeks since you met Grandma Kim and the longer you dragged it the more complicated it’ll be.”

“I know, I just think about after exam. One problem at a ti—“

 

“Yujinie?” A soft voice called her name from behind

 

Yujin turned to the familiar voice, Grandma Kim.

 

“It’s Yujinie” Grandma Kim said cheerfully as she walked towards the two

“G-grandma Kim.” Yujin mumble nervously, as Hyewon stayed silent awkwardly

“Are you on your way home?” Grandma Kim asked

“Y-yeah, we’re on our way home.” Yujin smile “This is my friend Hyewon-unnie.”

“It’s nice to meet you Grandma Kim.” Hyewon smile softly as she bowed to the older woman

“It’s nice meeting you too Hyewon-ssi” Grandma Kim smile “Anyway, have you talk to Minjoo?”

“I… I did—“

“You didn’t aren’t you?” Grandma Kim asked “She’s always like that during exam week, I didn’t even see her yesterday; she went to school early and locked in her room as soon as she got home. That kid doesn’t know how to take a break. Please be patient with her.”

“I ha—“

“I would ask you to eat dinner with me tonight but I’m sure you’re busy so how about on Saturday? You’re exam ends on Friday, right? Minjoos’ parents are dying to meet you and I want to see your parents too, I miss the—“

“No!” Yujin almost screamed, then see a confused look on Grandma Kim “No, I mean, they’re busy at the hospital. I’m not sure if they can make time for it,”

“I’m sure they will.” Grandma Kim said positively “It’s a celebration, When you were kids you two never got the chance to meet each other, who would’ve have thought that you’d met let alone date on this day. I’m sure Yerinie will agree to me if I say that it is destiny, your grandma is a big destiny believer.” She said smiling softly, reminiscing her old friend.

“That she is.” Yujin replied, smiling.

“Ah, right, before I forgot.” Grandma Kim said, as she took out her phone “Can I have your number? I wanted to ask Minjoo but I never really got the chance to ask her since the start of exam.” Then she handed her phone to Yujin, which Yujin took unconsciously and put her number.

Grandma Kim rung Yujin’s number “Call me when your parents said they can’t make it. I’ll talk to them.

“I don—“

 “I would not keep you any longer, I’m sorry for taking your time.” Gradma Kim said “See you on Saturday then,” Then she left before Yujin could say anything.

 

“.” Yujin can only say when Grandma Kim’s car left

“Option 2 then.” Hyewon said

 

 

 

“What time did you leave this morning?” Grandma asked, they’re family is having dinner.

“I left 6 this morning.” Minjoo answered “Students council work doesn’t stop even in exam week.”

“I know and I am proud of you for all your hard work” Grandma Kim said “But it wouldn’t hurt to give 5 minutes of your time to the people around you.”

Minjoo grinned “Is my Grandma missing me too already? Didn’t you almost kick me out of your room last week?”

“Your grandmother’s right. You didn’t even come out of your room to eat dinner last night.” Mrs. Kim said “Your book and pen wouldn’t mind missing you for dinner.”

“I know. I completely lost track of time” Minjoo said “I’m glad the exam will be done in two days, let’s eat out when the exams finish. I’ll be sure to make it up to you Grandma, I’ll let you choose the restaurant.”

Grandma Kim chuckles “I miss you darling but I wasn’t talking about me. I’m talking about Yujin.”

Minjoo chokes on her food, as Mrs. Kim handed her water.

“I saw her this afternoon and tried asking for you but clearly she hasn’t heard a word from you.” Grandma Kim said “It’s great that you’re prioritizing your education more than anything but I just don’t want you to lose another important thing.”

“You totally love Yujin, don’t you mom?” Mr. Kim asked with a smile

Grandma Kim just smiles widely.

“I’ve only met her a few times before and she’s adorable” Mrs. Ahn said “I cannot wait to see her again now that she’s grown up and Minjoo’s girlfriend.”

“I’ve notice how excited you are honey.” Mr. Kim said “You won’t stop talking about her.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll meet her again on Saturday.” Grandma Kim informed them with a bright smile “I would’ve asked you to invite their family but I rarely see you this week, so I took it on my hand and asked her.”

 

Minjoo dropped the spoon that she’s holding as she looked at her grandmother nervously “W-what?”

“I said we’re having a dinner with her family on Saturday.”

Minjoo swallowed “And s-she a-agreed?”

“Of course.” Grandma Kim answered “Is there a problem?”

“It’s just that, I don’t think her parents knew about us.” Minjoo answered which is true. “I mean, you wouldn’t know about it if you didn’t caught us.” She lied “I’m just surprised that she agreed.” Minjoo wasn’t just surprised; she’s in state of panic.

“Don’t worry sweetie, I’m sure Yujinie is handling it now.” Grandma Kim said positively

“She’s going to be okay. It’s going to be okay.” Mrs. Kim said, giving Minjoo a reassuring smile “They will love you.”

“What’s there not to love?” It was Mr. Kim this time “You’re an angel.”

Minjoo couldn’t help but smile at the support that her family’s giving her. But a big part of her felt so guilty about it.

“Just trust Yujin, okay.” Grandma Kim said squeezing Minjoo’s hand softly.

 

‘That’s what scares me, I cannot trust her and certainly she hates me.’ Minjoo thought 

 

 

“Exam didn’t went well?” Chaeyeon asked nervously noticing how Minjoo won’t stop biting her fingernails ever since she got at the student council room

“Test is fine.” Minjoo answered shortly

“Then what’s making you nervous?”

Minjoo sighed in frustration “I’ve been sending messages to someone and I haven’t got a reply yet not even once.”

Chaeyeon looked at her concern, she would’ve joke about Minjoo finally getting interested in someone but she knew it wasn’t the right time “Is it about your Grandma?” she asked carefully, she knew how sensitive the topic is.

Minjoo paused for a moment before she answered “Sort of.”

Chaeyeon reached Minjoo’s hand as she smiled to her “It’s going to be okay.”

Minjoo smiled to her weakly “I really hope so.”

 

 

How did we get here?” Yujin asked confusedly

“Walk.” Hyewon answered

“I’m serious.”

“And I’m not?”

 

Yujin sighed in defeat “We we’re just in school earlier and now we’re here.”

 

“You’re spacing out ever since your last exam, I cannot seriously believe that Math could do that.” Hyewon teased “But here you are a living proof. Math can really be someone’s death, you look like a zombie.”

 

Yujin sighed again as she stares at Hyewon hopelessly “Math won’t be my death anymore. It’s her now.”

 

‘Did you really agree?’

‘Are you crazy?’

‘Let’s talk!’

‘You could have said no!’

‘What we’re you thinking?’

‘Don’t ignore me! I swear to God!’

 

Yujin sighed as she dropped her head on the table, then another beep from her phone.

 

“Oh God, she’ll be the death of me.” Yujin said in defeat

“I think she’s not angry anymore.” Hyewon said

“What?” Yujin asked without looking up

“Look” Hyewon said, as Yujin raised her head and looked at her phone

 

‘Can we talk, please?’

 

“See, I don’t think she’s angry anymore.” Hyewon said

“Yeah, right.” Yujin said sarcastically as she drop her head on the table again

“Maybe you should talk to her.” Hyewon said as Yujin look at her with frown “I know that you don’t want anything to do with her but this is important, tomorrow is Saturday already and I bet she’s already in state of panic as much as you are or probably more. Talk to her or if you really hate the idea at least let her know what your plan is, whether you send a reply, or send a damn letter, just let her know.”

“I do—“

“I know that this isn’t your fault and you didn’t want this but I’m afraid you can’t just hang her up, I mean after all, you’re the one who agreed to dinner, right?”

“Should I have said the truth then?”

“Nobody’s stopping you then, so why didn’t you?” Hyewon asked “You could’ve clear everything to Grandma Kim right that very moment and you didn’t”

Yujin looked at Hyewon “I totally hate you.”

 

“Remind Yujin about tomorrow okay? Tell her they don’t need to bring anything”

Minjoo made a deep sighed remembering her Grandmother’s word earlier.

 

“You okay?” Yena asked concerned “You’ve been making that sound since earlier”

Minjoo nodded weakly “I’m fine… just…” she sighed “don’t worry about it.”

 

Yena tapped her shoulder lightly “It’ll be fine,”

“Yeah, that was Chaeyeon-unnie said but I don’t it will” Minjoo said “And I honestly don’t know what to do.”

“Just take a deep breath and just give it time, whatever that is,”

“That’s the thing… I don’t have much time.” Minjoo mumble as she looked at her phone.