The Misunderstanding

Serendipity

 

CHAPTER 3

 

“Mom! Dad!” Minjoo called while running towards her parents sitting outside the emergency room “Where is Grandma? What happen to her? Is she okay?” she continue asking without catching a breath

Mrs. Kim hold her daughter as she lead her to sit down “She’s going to be okay.”

“What happen?” Minjoo asked shaking

“I don’t know…” She answered, she just received a call from Mr. Yang, her Grandmother’s driver that she fainted and she brought her here.

 

Grandma Kim’s surgeon walked in an hour after Minjoo arrived at the hospital.

 

“Is she okay?” Mr. Kim asked, shaking “What happen to her?”

Minjoo didn't move her expression carefully neutral but the tension in her body suddenly sharpening.

The gray-haired surgeon gave her one of those smiles doctors all over the world seemed to use. The one that said everything was fine, even if things were going to hell and back. “We’re able to stabilize her.” Kim’s family all both breathe in relief hearing the doctor’s words.

“Thank God," Mrs. Kim said, raising one hand to her chest.

“What happen to her?” Mr. Kim asked, this time his voice is fine, shaky but fine.

The surgeon hesitated, then said, “She didn’t tell you?”

 

 

“Minjoo-ah, why don’t you go and eat something.” Mrs. Kim said to Minjoo’s who’s seating beside her grandmother.

“I’m fine…” She answered without looking at mother and just staring at her grandmother who’s sleeping peacefully

“You haven’t had anything since earlier.” Mrs. Kim said in concern, they called Minjoo at 7PM and it’s already 2AM now

Minjoo looked at her mother, her eyes still red and puffy as she smiled weakly “I’m f-fine.”

Mrs. Kim rushed to her daughter then hugged her, without a second Minjoo had started sobbing.

 “S-She’s going to be fine.” Mrs. Kim said, her voice cracking as she comfort her daughter “She’s going to be okay.”

 

 

“She didn’t tell you?”

 “Tell us what?” it was Mr. Kim

“I don’t know if I have the right to tell you this since Grandma Kim her—“

“Just tell us doc!” Mr. Kim cut her off “Please, tell us…”

 

“Her heart is failing…”

“W-what?” Mr. Kim asked

“What do you mean?” It was Mrs. Kim

“I’m sorry for being the bearer of the bad news but her heart is getting weaker and weaker everyday and I’m afraid that it’ll just stop one day. I’m sorry.”

Mr. Kim stood unmoving. Minjoo broke down on the floor as her mother hugged her in tears.

 

 

“W-why didn’t she tell us?” Minjoo asked between tears, her head buried on her mother’s “W-why didn’t she tell us?”

 

 

Minjoo stirred from her sleep when she felt a light top on her arm

“Minjoo-ah…”

Minjoo opened her eyes and saw her grandmother. “Grandma!” she called as both her parents wakes up.

“Omma!” Mrs. Kim said, as Mr. Kim went out to call a doctor

 

After checking her, the doctor told them that she needs to stay while waiting for the results of her examination.

 

“By the looks of it, you all probably know.” Grandma Kim said

“Omma, why didn’t you tell us?” Mr. Kim asked in tears “Why did you keep it a secret?”

Grandma Kim smiled weakly “Because I didn’t want to see you like this.” She said as she hold Minjoo’s face and wipe her tears

“G-grandma…” Minjoo cries, holding her grandmother’s hand

“It’s fine.” She said assuring her with a smile  

Minjoo cries harder as she shook her head “No, it’s not.”

 

8 years ago, Grandma Kim had been diagnose to have a chronic disease on her kidney and started all the treatment needed. After 4 years of fighting, she finally healed.

 

“2 years ago when my heart starts hurting I went to the hospital and found out that the treatment for my kidney 8 years ago had made my body weak and my heart took damage from it.” Grandma Kim revealed “My body cannot handle another surgery.”

“Then why didn’t you tell us?” Mr. Kim asked in tears

“Because if I did, you would’ve want me to stay in a hospital and I didn’t want to spend my life like that.” She answered “I don’t want to spend the only time left in me in a hospital bed.”

Minjoo cries “Grandma, you’re not going t—“

“It’s fine…” She said smiling at her “I already made my peace with it. God already answered my prayer when he gave me a second life and continue living with all of you. Not everyone get that chance. So instead of being sad for what’s to come, let’s spend every second with a smile.”

 

 

It’s been a week since Grandma Kim was discharge to the hospital and that Minjoo had started sleeping with her grandma

“Are you going to sleep here again?” Grandma Kim asked when Minjoo entered her room win her pajamas

“Turns out, I sleep better here” Minjoo answered with a smile as she lie down on the other side of the bed

Grandma Kim smile as she patted her head “Aigoo, our Minjoo is still a baby.”

“I will always be your baby.” Minjoo said as she hugged the older girl on her stomach

Grandma Kim smiles again “Yeah, you are.”

 

 

It was 7 in the morning, Kim’s Family are having breakfast without Grandma Kim’s for she’s still sleeping.

 

“Can I ask you something?” It was Minjoo

“Of course honey.” Mrs. Kim answered “What is it?”

 

Minjoo hesitated for a moment then asked “Did Grandma used to hate you?”

 

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kim stopped, and then looked at each other.

 

“I heard grandma last night; she probably thought I was sleeping already.” Minjoo said “Said, she regretted the fact that she didn’t spend much time with you before and she hated herself for it.”

“Well, I wasn’t really a wife material when your father introduces me to your grandparents.” Mrs. Kim spoke softly “I was kind of –“

“You’re already perfect when I first met you.” Mr. Kim cut “It’s just your Grandma thinks that she’s not good enough for your handsome father, isn’t that what parents always thinks? Nobody is ever going to be enough for their child”

“So, when you said that she’s missed your wedding because she had something urgent…”

“It was a lie.” Mr. Kim said “And I’m sure you’re grandma regretted it too.”

Minjoo smile weakly “Yeah, she is.”

“But all is good now.” Mrs. Kim said with a smile “It feels like she fell in love with me when she saw you.”

“How can she not? You’re like an angel” Mr. Kim said, which makes Minjoo and Mrs. Kim smiles.

 

“She also said something…”

“What is it?”

“She said that it would really make her happy if she meets someone I love before she…” Minjoo paused “She said that she hopes she can meet that person and do everything that she wasn’t able to do for you.”

“She really did miss a lot of things.” Mr. Kim said “Birthdays, graduation, anniversaries, reunion, everything with your mother in it before you were born.”

 

There was a paused for moment then Minjoo said “Do you think it’ll make her happy if I introduce her to someone?”

 

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kim almost choke without a food.

 

“Are you dating someone?” Mrs. Kim asked

“Please tell me you’re not dating someone.” Mr. Kim said “You’re st—“ he stopped when Mrs. Kim squeeze his hand

 

Minjoo chuckles at her father’s reaction “Am I not allowed dating someone?”

 

“No, of course not.” Mr. Kim said “Just want to make sure if he deserves my angel”

“I don’t think you’ll find someone deserving your angel,” Minjoo said “Nobody is ever going to be enough for their child, right?”

“Ain’t that the truth?” Mr. Kim said with a smile

 

“I was thinking if would it make her happy if I introduce someone.”

Mrs. Kim reached out Minjoo’s hand “Honey, it would make her happy but you can’t just pick someone outside and tell your grandma.”

“What if I can?” MInjoo asked “Remember that guy, Mr. Jung’s son? The one who always brags about her parents money”

“Yeah, we remember. Didn’t you make him stay away from you?” Mr. Kim said “You’re kind of harsh to him to be honest.”

“I couldn’t help it, he bothers me too much” Minjoo said “You’re still friends with Mr. Jung, right? Why don’t you ask him to meet me, I’m pretty sure he will be more than happy to”

“You don’t have to do that honey.”

“Yeah, but I need to.” Minjoo said weakly “I kind of miss a lot of things when it comes to grandma too.”

“Minjoo—“

“Dad, please…” Minjoo pleads

 

Mr. and Mrs. Kim both make a deep sighed, they both know that even without their help, their daughter will still do it.

 

 

 

Yujin took her earphone off then gave a smile to the waiter refilling her glass “Thank you” she said and that’s when she heard a familiar voice. Kim Minjoo.

 

“Don’t touch me!” she hissed

“What? Isn’t this why we met today?” The man chuckled, teasing “Come on…” as he tried to reach her hand again

Minjoo retracted her hand from the table “You don’t get to touch my hand or I swear you’re going regret it.”

“It’s been what? 2 years? When you practically told me that you’re too way out of my league but here you are” His voice mocking, grinning “You’re father almost kneel in front of me just to meet you an---“

“Shut up.”

The man laughed mockingly, clearly enjoying it “I took my time to be here and do a good deed so why don’t you give me a little appreciation here and besides if we’re going to do this, we might as well starts now…” then he reached his right hand in front of her

“Not going to happen” She said glaring at his hand

“Are you really going to disappoint your grandmother?” He asked making Minjoo grits her teeth harder “I met her a few times and she’s a very sweet lady, wouldn’t want to break her heart”

“Shut your mouth!” She almost screamed, hitting both her palm to the table “You don’t get to talk about her”

“Ohhh, scary…” The man laughed again “You know I wouldn’t mind doing this all day but can you really afford wasting time like this?” then he reached to her hand again and touches it

“Take your hand off m—“

 

“The girl said not to touch her” Yujin said grabbing the man’s hand “I was sitting behind but I could hear her clearly, are you deaf or something?”

“Who the hell are you?”

Minjoo didn’t move nor say anything, just stared at Yujin and processing what’s happening.

 

“Someone who loves her grandma” Yujin answered as her grip on his hand tighten

The man grinned as she looked at Minjoo “And here I thought you just have an impossible standard to men and turns out… you swing this way”

“What?” Her eyes widen as she looked at Yujin again. But Yujin don’t seem to hear her or care at all

“Get out.” Yujin said as she yanked the man’s hand

The man chuckled, looking at Minjoo “I can’t believe this.” Then he stood up and looked at Yujin this time “You are g—“ Yujin stepped closer to him.

“Get the hell out.”

The man raises both his hand, as he step back “Easy there… I don’t want any trouble, raising a hand to a lady isn’t my thing. See you around then.” Then walked towards the door but before he could get out he looked at Minjoo then grinned while shaking her head.

 

“Are yo---“

“Are you crazy?!”

Yujin looked at her confusedly “I do—“

“What did you think you’re doing?” Annoyance was evident on Minjoo’s voice and face which confused Yujin

“He was harassing you and instead of asking me about what I did, a thank you would be nice”

“A thank you? Did you hear me asking for help?”

Yujin frown and could not say a word for a moment

“Do I look like a frail little girl?”

“What? No.”

“Then why didn’t you just mind your own damn business?!”

Yujin could not answer.

“Argh!” Minjoo screamed in frustration as she stomped her way out of the cafeteria.  Leaving Yujin dumbfounded.

 

Hyewon rushed to Yujin upon seeing Minjoo rushing in frustration at the door “Did you two fight again? What did you this time?”

 

“You gotta be kidding me” Hyewon said upon hearing what just happen

“Can you believe it? I helped her and in the end I was the bad person?” Yujin said in frustration “I put myself out there when I could’ve stay still and yet I was the one who did wrong”

“Maybe you are wrong.” Hyewon mumble

“What?” Yujin furrowed her brows “I’m wrong? You did not just say that.”

“No, I mean… I am proud of what you did, if I were in your position I don’t think I could speak let alone move a muscle but you said it was Minjoo who asked for him to come here, right?”

“I didn’t say it was her, what I said was, according to him it was her father who ask so they could meet, that’s what I heard”

“So technically it was Minjoo’s side who asked for this meet-up, don’t you think she’s just playing hard to get? I mean her side was the one who asked for this and her pride was on the line so…”

“What drama did you watch again?”

“I’m just saying… Maybe she like the guy and she wouldn’t want to give in easily but you ended up screwing it up and I’m telling you that’s a bad news. A heartbroken woman is a bad news, trust me”

Yujin eyed her.

“I mean, what could possibly be the reason why she would get angry at you for helping her?”

“Because she’s crazy and she’s the leader of the mean girls. I should’ve stay still and listen to my favorite song. Why did I even take my earphone off?”

Hyewon laughed

“Stop laughing; if you’re not late this wouldn’t have happen”

“Why are you blaming me? Should I blame the bus driver for driving slow now?”

Yujin sighed in defeat “So much for being a decent human being”

 

 

“Read something you don’t like? You frown more than the usual each time your phone beep”

Yujin held her phone up, showing Hyewon the messages on her phone

“Meet me at the gym at 6PM --- KMJ” Hyewon read as she looked at Yujin this time “Is that?”

“Yup…” Yujin nodded as she put down her phone “She had been sending the same text, hour after an hour for three days”

“It’s been a week since what happens to the cafeteria and she just started texting you three days ago, she took longer than I thought.”

“Is that supposed to be a good thing?”

“No.” She answered as she shook her head “Because she might have planned her revenge already.”

“What kind of drama did you watch again?”

“I told you, a heartbroken girl is bad news and I’m saying it from experience” Hyewon said, “You’ve seen some of it…”

Yujin sighed as she remembered what had happened with Hyewon before. “Did you really think she’s as petty as those girls? A member of student council would actually get revenge’ because I kind of blew up her love life? Because that’s c---“

“Crazy but not impossible, I mean emotional –“

“Stop there before I hear another one of your speeches again…”

Hyewon frown “Since when did I gave speeches?”

“Every chance you get which is almost every time”

“No, I don’t.”

“Yeah, you do.”

“No, I don’t”

“You know, I wouldn’t mind giving receipts for all of your speeches but I don’t think it’s the right time. I have this mean girl to deal with”

“So, decided to go at the gym? I’d come with you”

“Nope. But thank you.”

“What’s your plan then?”

“I don’t know. The exams are next week and that’s scares me more than the idea of revenge fiasco of that girl”

Hyewon smiles “Of course it does. Math is your killer.”

 

 

Minjoo’s POV

 

It’s already 6:15 and that brat isn’t here yet. Just like for the past 3 days. I took a deep breath to calm myself. I’ve been sending her the same damn text for the past three days and she kept on ignoring me.

 

Saturday is already in two days and I don’t have time to be patient with her. It was her fault after all.

 

Flashback

 

“Minjoo-ah,” My dad spoke softly “I’ve heard what happen to the cafeteria three days ago.”

“I’m sorry.” I couldn’t help but said, I feel bad after my Dad ask him to come, I blew it.

‘Why would you?” He asked “It’s fine… but we actually feel bad that you didn’t tell us.”

“I’m really sorry, I don’t know how to.”

“Honey, you are our daughter.” It was Mom “And whatever makes you happy or whoever makes you happy, we’ll accept it wholeheartedly.”

What? I am confused, where does that come from?

“I don—“

“We know what happen” Dad cut me off “Turns that boy Jung isn’t just immature, but also a mama’s boy. He told her mom what happen and her mom of course, you know acts like her baby boy has been mistreated,”

 

I’ve also made a trouble for my parents too, great.

 

“You should’ve told us.” Mom said softly. And I wasn’t sure if she means about what happen to me and that idiot.

 

“Is that why you never like any boy that’s been trying to court you?”

 

And now I am completely confused.

 

“Did you feel like we are going to love you less because of it?” Mom asked as she holds my hand “You will always be our lovely daughter and we will always love you and nothing in this world could ever change that”

 

Tears starts, coming at the edge of my eyes, I don’t know where all this is coming from but knowing how my parents love me with all of their hearts makes me tear up.

 

“Oh, what happen?” Grandma asked “Is everything alright?”

 

“Everything’s fine mom.” It was Dad “It’s just, Minjoo has been keeping a beautiful secret from us”

 

Me? A beautiful secret?

 

“Really? What secret?” Grandma asked smiling already, then looked at me.

 

“I…” I smiled awkwardly; I have no idea what they’re talking about.

 

Mom squeezed my hand softly “Your grandma will love her.”

 

What? Will love who?

 

“Who?” Grandma asked

 

“Minjoo has been keeping a girl from us” Dad said with a smile on his face

 

What???

 

Both my Grandma and I went into shock.

 

“Sweetie, that’s great.” Grandma asked as she pulled me in embrace “Why did you keep it a secret? Why did you do that?”

 

I was still in state of shock. When grandma pulled back from the embrace. “I would love to meet her.”

 

“H-huh?”

 

“I’d free my schedule this Saturday, tell her to meet me” Grandma said excitedly “Aigoo, our Minjoo isn’t a kid anymore.”

 

End of Flashback

 

And that’s when I realized that, that idiot misunderstand everything and told his parents what happen about what Ahn Yujin did and his parents told mine. He really is stupid! I can’t believe I actually consider him to play the role. I might end up killing my grandma sooner than later.

 

I took my phone, and send another text messages to Yujin.

 

“If you don’t come at La Vie’s Coffee Shop on Saturday at 3PM, you are dead. I’ll ruin your life”

I said then press the send button. I know I don’t have the right to demand to her anything but I don’t have a time.

 

And big part of this misunderstanding is her. She brought this upon herself.

 

End of POV