The Volunteers

Serendipity

CHAPTER 2

 

“It’s C.” Hyewon uttered, seeing how Yujin had been working on the same problem for almost an hour now

“What?”

“The answer is letter C”

“Luck and I, are not in speaking terms when it comes to Math, so I am not going to use that.” Yujin said, knowing that students only choose C when they have no idea what the answer could possibly be. Then continue scribbling, solving on the problem

“No, I’m serious” Hyewon said pulled up her chair besides Yujin and proceed to solve the problem within seconds.

‘’It really is C” Yujin looking at her in awe “How did you that? Do you have any idea how long I’ve been solving that problem?”

“Almost an hour now”

Yujin looked at her with betrayed eyes “And you didn’t bother telling me the answer on the first 15 minutes?”

“Why would I?”

“You…” Yujin said looking at Hyewon with full of betrayal which made Hyewon smile

“Should I help you answer all of this?”

“Why would you?” Yujin said, taking her notebooks away from Hyewon like a child “I can do it myself.”

“Okay…” Hyewon said and was about to stand up when Yujin grabbed her arm

“Wait…” Yujin said “I’m only letting you help because I need to finish this within an hour or I’ll be late in my next class and I—“

“I know…” Hyewon smiled as she took Yujin’s notebook.

 

“Wow! We really did finish it” Yujin said happily “Would you believe me if I said that this is the first time that I’m going to pass my Math assignment with confidence?”

Hyewon chuckled “What have you been doing during your Math class? Sleeping?”

“I don’t sleep during Math Class, I would mess around with other subjects but definitely not in Math but I’m just really, really bad at it”

“I noticed.”

“Yah, you’re supposed to tell me that I’m not even if I am…” Yujin whines which make Hyewon smile again

“How can I lie to this? How can you be so bad at it?”Hyewon teased “It was actually easy.”

“You did not just say that!” Yujin looking at her in disbelief “It wa—“ she couldn’t finish what she’s going to say when the bell rung

“Have to go to my class” Hyewon said as she quickly stood up and took her bag “And don’t sleep on your Math class.”

“Yahhh!”

 

 

“Daebak!” Yujin said in amusement looking at her assignment in Math with perfect score. “Daebak! I can’t believe I aced it. I better treat her.” She said as she looked at her watch 5:00 PM. According to Hyewon her last class end at 6 while hers end at 5 that’s why she and Yujin never got the chance to go home together.

 

Yujin didn’t know Hyewon’s last class so she has no idea what room could she possibly so she decided to stay at the gym and went to the gate right before 6 and wait for her.

 

After sometime, Yujin saw the girl she’s waiting for.

“Why is she walking like that?” She asked, noticing the way Hyewon walks. She’s not looking straight but just looks down the whole time. She went to her and blocks her way.

 

“Oh, I’m sor—“ Hyewon’s stops when she raised her head and saw Yujin “Yujin? What are you doing?”

“I was waiting for you.” Yujin answered “Why are you walking like that? Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? You could also bump to people with nasty attitude” Yujin said remembering how her interaction with Minjoo ended.

 

Hyewon looked around then pulled Yujin to walk “Why are you waiting for me? Your class ends at 5, right?”

Yujin stops as she pulled out her assignment paper and showed it to Hyewon with a proud smile “I aced it! I got perfect in my Math assignment.”

 

Hyewon chuckles at the sight of Yujin “Good for you then,”

 “I never got a perfect score ever since I entered high school. “

“Wow you really are bad at it, how can you not perfect it even one.” Hyewon said “Math in high school is easy.”

“Math is never easy.” Yujin argue

Hyewon chuckles “Fine, so what then, did you wait for me to brag your score?”

“That and to treat you something,” Yujin said “What do you want Ice cream? Pizza? Burger? What do you want? I’ll treat you whatever you want”

Hyewon looked at her suspiciously “Treating me whatever I want sounds like a bribe. You’re planning to make me do all your assignment, aren’t you?”

“Of course not!” Yujin said in defense

“Why are you so defensive then?” Hyewon teased

“I’m not.” Yujin said “Can’t you just be grateful that your lovely dongsaeng is treating you nicely.”

“You treating me nicely are scaring me.” Hyewon said playfully “It’s suspicious, it really sounds like a bribe.”

“It’s not a bribe.” She argues “Think of it as an investment. I treat you then you help me on my assignment on Math. Just Math, and the word there is ‘help’ not you do it alone. You help me do it means you’re teaching me too.”

“Wow.” Hyewon said in amusement “You’re quite clever, why don’t you use that head of yours in Math too.”

“Yah!”

Hyewon laughed “Let’s go, I want pizza.”

 

 

“You don’t have a class right? I’m done with my quiz, where are you?” Yujin texted Hyewon, she finished her English exam within 30 minutes, she’s pretty good in all of her classes besides Math.

“I’m on my way to library, let’s meet there.” Hyewon replied.

 

Library is located on the 4th floor and she was just on the 2nd floor so it didn’t take that much time when she got on the 4th floor. She walking towards the library when she saw Hyewon’s figure not far from her.

 

“Why is she walking like that again?” She asked, noticing how Hyewon’s walking with her head low. “Hyewon unn—“ Her words was cut off when one student extended her feet and trip Hyewon.

Yujin rushed to her and pick-up some books that scattered on the floor “Unnie, are you okay?” she asked as she helped her stand

“Y-Yujin-ah...” Hyewon uttered

“Are you okay?” She asked again, full of concern

“Y-yeah, I’m okay.” She said then gave her a smile “I was reading my book and I didn’t se—“

“And just when I thought you were laying low.” The girl who tripped Hyewon said “I’d give it to you, you really know how to pick a prey she’s quite a looker” she said as the two other girls who’s with her laughed

“Y-Yujin let’s go.” Hyewon said nervously as she grabbed Yujin’s arms but Yujin but the woman says something again before Hyewon could pull Yujin away

“A first year? Second year maybe? Why don’t you try prey to some of your age?” The woman said “Ah right, you already did but didn’t really work out.” She said as the two other girls who are with her laughed.

“If I were you, I’d run away from her, she’ll play you on her hands before you realize it.” The woman added

Hyewon hung her head low at the remarks.

“As your senior I’m giving you a war—“

“Apologize.” Yujin cut her off

“W-what?”

Hyewon raised her head, looked at Yujin with surprised

“Apologize to her.”

The woman made a dry laughed “She already played you, I was too late. I pity you.” She said and was about to leave when Yujin grabbed her by the collar.

“Yujin let her go.” Hyewon said quickly and nervously as she grabbed Yujin’s hand to take it off on the woman

“Are you crazy!?” The woman asked in anger, as she tried to take Yujin’s hand off of her

Yujin’s holds get tighter “I am. So why don’t you apologize now before I turn fully crazy here.”

 “Let me go you !” The woman said struggling to free from Yujin

“Yujin-ah, It’s fine. Just let her go please.” Hyewon pleads, still trying to pull Yujin’s hand

“She tripped you on purpose, it’s not fine.” Yujin said in anger “You could seriously get hurt.”

“But I am fine okay, so please let her g—“

 

“What’s happening here?”

Hyewon looked behind them and saw Kim Minjoo and Lee Chaeyeon of student council. Then forcefully pulled Yujin’s arms and free the woman.

“You’re dead.” The woman said grinning

 

“What do you think you people are doing?” Minjoo asked when they reached them “Fighting on the schools corridor on broad daylight.”

“I-It’s just a misunderstanding.” Hyewon lied.

“No it’s not.” The woman and Yujin both said in unison “This girl grabbed me on my collar like a crazy person.”

“Wha—You...” Minjoo said as she get the full looked of Yujin then scoff

“Do you know her?” Chaeyeon asked

“Yeah and her attitude.”

Yujin cursed inside her head; of all people “This isn’t what it looks like okay.” she said calmly, she didn’t want this to get complicated than it already is.

“Just like how you didn’t see me?” Minjoo asked sarcastically

Yujin clenched both her teeth and hands; she’s trying to calm herself but Minjoo isn’t making it easy. “Let’s go.” She told Hyewon and was about to leave when Minjoo blocks her way

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Obviously, you wouldn’t believe a word I say so if you want to report me to God knows who freely do so.” Yujin said then left followed by Hyewon.

 

“Stop that, you’ll hurt your finger” Yujin said seeing Hyewon biting her fingernails for ever since they left the scene at the hallway.

“Why did you do that?” She asked, concern was clearly evident

“Don’t you have a class right now?” Yujin asked, changing the subject

“Do you think class is important right now?”

“Am I hearing that correctly? Kang Hyewon doesn’t care about class?” Yujin joked

“Yujin I’m serious, this is serious.”

“I know. I wouldn’t have grabbed that woman if it wasn’t”

“I’m not talking about that what she did. It’s what you did.” Hyewon pointed out “I told you it’s fin—“

“No, it’s not.” Yuji cut her off “How could you say that. You could seriously get hurt and but the look of it, that wasn’t the first time they did that.”

 

Hyewon looked down.

 

“I was kind of hoping that I was wrong though.” Yujin said “Why?”

“—“

“Are they the reason why you always walk with your head low? The reason you don’t want to be seen with me?”

 

Hyewon looked at her surprised.

 

“My arms almost fell off when you pulled me outside the school when I waited for you that one time” Yujin said “And you don’t want to meet me if it wasn’t in the canteen or the library. It’s not that hard to notice.”

 

Hyewon fell silent.

“Who are they?”

“—“

“What they said back there was quit—“

“Do you believe them?” Hyewon asked with her head low, not looking at Yujin

“Should I believe them?”

Hyewon looked up and quickly answered “No. It wasn’t true. They’r—“

“Then I won’t.” Yujin said with a smile “If you said that it wasn’t true, I believe you.”

“You do?” Hyewon asked, tears at the edge of her eyes

Yujin nodded, smiling. “So do—“she wasn’t able to finish what she’s going to say when Hyewon suddenly hugged her

“Why? You think I’ll stay away from you?”

Hyewon nodded, still hugging Yujin

Yujin smile “You won’t get rid of me that easily.”

 

“What’s with the frown?” Yena asked when she saw the looked in Minjoo’s face. They are inside the Student Council room.

“She had a fight? Maybe?” Chaeyeon anwered unsurely

“Minjoo fought with someone?” Amusement and curiosity evident on Yena’s voice 

“We didn’t fight. It’s not a fight Chaeyeon unnie.” Minjoo argue “It’s a—ahhh!” she screams in frustration “That girl will really get it this time.”

Yena looked at Chaeyeon “What girl? What happen?”

“There’s some student arguing at the hallway, seems like Minjoo knew one girl who’s involve and—“

“Ah, right! Yena-unnie, do you remember that girl? The one who bumped into on the first day” Minjoo asked “The one who just left without saying anything?”

“Ah, the one who called you member of mean girls?” Yena replied

Minjoo grunted “I saw her earlier and guess what? She had both of her hand on one student’s collar. I bet if we didn’t come, she’ll beat her up too”

“Minjoo-ah, I think you’re taking it too far.” It was Chaeyeon

“And what do you think will happen then?” Minjoo asked again

 

Chaeyeon didn’t answer, Minjoo has a point and it’s not impossible given the situation they seen.

 

“She even had the audacity to tell us that it’s not what it looks like.” Minjoo added “What are we, stupid”

“Did you ask what happen?” Yena asked

“Hyewon said it was a misunderstanding but—“

“Kang Hyewon?” Yena asked

“Yeah, it’s her. She’s also there.” Minjoo hesitated

“Are you sure it’s her?” Yena asked in disbelief “We’ve been classmates a few times but we’ve never really talked that much, she’s the quiet typre but I don’t think she’ll get herself into trouble especially in school”

“Yeah.” Minjoo agreed “She seats in front of me during English class but I’ve never had a talk with her, but I’m sure it’s her. She said it was a misunderstanding but clearly that disrespectful girl and the other girl doesn’t agree.”

“What could possibly happen...” Yena said

“I tried to ask but clearly she doesn’t know respect so she just left.”

“Yeah, after you went full mean girls to her” Chaeyeon said

“Unnie!” She whines as both Chaeyeon and Yena laughed

“Anyway, we have to report it.” Chaeyeon said.

 

“Come on, cheer up.” Yujin said “It’s not that bad.”

“It is bad.” Hyewon pointed out “And if it isn’t bad enough that you grabbed someone on her collar, you also pick a fight to the member of student council too.”

“Stop there, first of all I didn’t pick a fight with her. She just appeared out of nowhere and tells me that I have a nasty attitude. Me? A nasty attitude? Can you believe that? Who wouldn’t be pissed?”

“I know, still, you weren’t really in a position to defend what you did when you have your hands on someone’s neck.”

“I know.” Yujin sighed “She just really pissed me off especially when I remember what happen on the first day”

“What even happened? She remembers you clearly”

“Just like what happened earlier, she just appeared out of nowhere and I bump into her then she went full mean girls to me even after I apologize.”

“And you went full thug on her didn’t you?”

“Unnie, do I look like I thug to you?”

“No. But you can certainly act like one”

“I didn’t ‘thug’ her okay” Yujin said “She called me stupid first, so I called her mean girls in front of her face”

 

Hyewon sighed “You called the Vice mean girls in front of her face and now she saw your hands on someone’s neck, great.”

“Come on, don’t worry too much” Yujin said “I’ll tell them that she tripped you first so your cute little dongsaeng couldn’t help but be your knight in shining armor”

 

Hyewon broke into smile

 

“If I knew that it’ll end like this, I should’ve just really punched her.”

“Yahhh!”

 

 

 

“According to Ms. Park, she didn’t do anything to you and out of nowhere you grabbed her by the collar” Ms. Hwang, the guidance councillor said

“She’s right, she didn’t do anything to me but I didn’t grab her out of nowhere. She tripped Hyewon-unnie intentionally and when I asked her to apologize she wouldn’t that’s why I did that.”

“No, I didn’t. Ms, Hwang.” Park Hana said “Why would I do that? That girl and Hyewon are lying.”

“I f someone here is lying that’ll be you.” Yujin said in anger

“Just so you know, both the student council and this department already looked into this matter. So I am giving you a chance to come forward and own what you did.”

 

Hana grinned and Yujin almost cursed out loud when Tiffany mentioned the student council. “I already told her that what they saw isn’t what it looks like.”

“Are you saying that the student council is stupid?” Hana mocked

Yujin glared at her.

 

“Alright, seems like no one will own to what she did. I guess I don’t have a choice then.”

 

 

 

“What happen? Did they believe her?” Hyewon asked nervously as soon as Yujin went out of the councillors’ room

“I got a punishment.”

 

Hyewon’s face dropped.

 

Yujin grinned as she threw her arm on Hyewon’s shoulder “Why are you making that face, it’s not like you’re not coming with me.”

“What?” Hyewon looked at her confusedly

“I only need to do volunteer this coming Saturday.” Yujin said

“You didn’t get suspended?”

“Nope, but Hana did.” Yujin said smiling “Turns out the CCTV on the hallway isn’t just a design. So she got 3 days suspension and I got a one day volunteer for, you know the little violence.”

 

Hyewon smiled in relief “Volunteer it is then.”

 

 

 

Yujin sat nervously as she waited for her parents to join her for dinner. She would bit her fingernails from to time and obviously her both her parents notice.

 

“Is everything alright?” Mrs. Ahn asked as she settled herself on the table

 “I… I need you to sign this waiver so… I could go and volunteer on orphanage for tomorrow” She trailed off

“Really? Yujin that’s amazing.” Mrs. Ahn said cheerfully, as Mr. Ahn nodded happily “I’m glad that you will.”

“The truth is… It was my punishment.” She said looking down

 

There was a pause for both her parents. “What do you mean?” It was Mr. Ahn, his voice was calm.

“I got into fight with someone last week.” She said still looking down.

 

Surprised are both evident on her parents face, still Mr. Ahn asked calmly “What happen?”

Yujin didn’t answer.

Mrs. Ahn reached Yujin’s hand as she squeeze it softly “You can tell us what happen.” So she did.

 

“I’m sorry,” Yujin apologizes after telling them what happen

“What are you apologizing for?” It was Mrs. Ahn, as Yujin raised her head to looked at her mother “We are proud you did.” She said smiling at her

“We are.” Mr. Ahn said

“Really?”

Mr. Ahn, nodded “And we are so glad to know that you already have a friend that you would stand up for”

“I couldn’t help it. That unnie is quite a handful.” Yujin spoke softly

“I m sure she is.” Mrs. Ahn said smiling

 

“Yujin-ah!” Hyewon waved her hand as she called for Yujin “Here!”

Yujin chuckled seeing Hyewon jumping like a child “What are you? A 10 yr old?”

“I’m just excited.” Hyewon replied

Yujin chuckles “It’s not a fieldtrip.”

 

“Okay everyone, inside the bus please, we’re leaving in 5!” Yena called out to every volunteer

 

 

“Tired?” Hyewon asked when Yujin stopped on the bench under the tree

“A little.” Yujin smiled looking at the kids playing on the field “It’s been a while since I run for almost two hours without resting, on the other hand, you surprise me your stamina is much greater than mine, are you hitting the gym?”

 

Hyewon chuckles “When I have a free time, maybe you should too. I thought you’re going to die earlier.”

“Yeah me too…” Yujin said chuckling “Kids are so energetic.”

“I’ll go get us some snacks and water wait here and catch your breath.” Hyewon said then left

 

 

“Minjoo…”

“—“

“Minjoo-ssi…” Yena repeats as she taps her friends shoulder

“W-What?”

“You okay? I’ve been calling you.”

 

Minjoo cleared “I’m fine.” She said as Yena looked at where Minjoo is staring

“Oh.” Yena said looking at Yujin sitting at the bench under the tree “Feel bad for calling her all sorts of bad stuff when in she isn’t?”

“You’re supposed to be washing the dishes, why are you here?” She asked, changing the subject

“Ah right! I almost forgot. General Kwon is looking for you.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know, seems urgent though” Yena answered as they both rushed to Eunbi

 

 

 “Unnie, is something wrong?” Minjoo asked when she saw Eunbi talking to Sister Nara

“Grandma Gina wasn’t able to take her medicine earlier and now we can’t find her.” Sister Nara said full of concern “She tends to forget things; there are times that she couldn’t recognized us too, she could hurt herself or everyone around her.”

“Okay, why don’t we get everyone here to help look for her.” Eunbi said then looked at Minjoo “Gather everyone.”

 

Yujin stood from her seat as she pick up the ball that got threw on her, “Here…” she said as she went to the kids on the field, giving the ball.

 

“Thank you noona.” The kid said, then went back to the other children. Yujin was on her way to the bench when she notices an old lady walking confusedly on the other side of the field

 

She rushed to her “Grandma, are you okay?”

The old lady took a step away from her, looking baffle “Where am I? Who are you?”

“I’m Yujin… I’m one of the student volunteers today.” She told her

“Don’t come closer!” The old lady screams when Yujin tried to get closer to her “Stay away from me!”

Yujin reached out her hand slowly “its fine… I’m not going to hurt you. What’s your name?”

“I-I’m G-Gina…”

Yujin smiles as she slowly steps closer to her “Grandma Gina, are you hurt somewhere?”

“I… m-my foot… stop!” Grandma Gina screamed as she went down, then pick up a stone and threw at Yujin “Don’t come closer…”

Unfortunately Yujin was too close and the sudden throw of stone was too quick for her to dodge it. The stone had scrape Yujin’s left cheek and bleed.

Yujin didn’t flinch and smiled softly at her “I’m not going to hurt you. I love grandma’s. I have a pretty grandma like you.”

“Y-you’re b-bleeding.” Grandma Gina said, her voice concern, seeing the blood on Yujin’s face “Y-you’re bleeding…”

“It’s fine.” Yujin smiling at her “It doesn’t hurt at all, grandma.”

“It doesn’t?”

Yujin shook her head “Not at all. How about grandma, are you hurt somewhere, you said your foot earlier? Where does it hurt?”

Grandma Gina nodded “My foot hurt…”

“Can I see it?” She asked, Grandma Gina didn’t protest, so Yujin took the chance to hold her hand slowly. “My grandma’s foot hurt all the time so I might be able to help. Is it okay if I look at it?”

Grandma Gina nods her head.

“How about we seat there.” She said pointing at the bench near them. Grandma nodded as Yujin led her to seat.

 

Yujin bent down as she look at Grandma Gina’s foot “Is it okay if I touch it?”

“You’re bleeding...”

“It’s o—“ Yujin stopped when Grandma Gina touches the blood

“I-I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean to.” She said with saddened eyes

Yujin smiled as she holds her hand “its fine. It doesn’t hurt at all. Don’t worry about it. Now, let’s look at your foot.” Then she lets her hand go and look at the foot.

She took her slipper off; there are few scratches on her feet, probably from wandering around. She massages her feet lightly.

“It feels good.” Grandma Gina said

“Yeah, I always do this to my grandma when her foot hurt.” She said smiling, continue massaging

 “I wish I have a granddaughter like you. With you on your grandmother’s side, she’s in good hands”

Yujin stopped for a moment, and then smiled “she already is.”

 

“Have you seen Grandma Gina?” Sister Nara asked when she saw one of the kids going inside the building

“Grandma Gina…” The kid thinks for a moment “Ah! I’ve seen her; she’s talking to Yujin noona at the field.”

“Yujin?” The sister asked then she looked at Yena who’s with her “Do you know her?”

Yena nodded “She’s one of the volunteers.”

 

“You said you were a volunteer? What is this place?” She asked looking around, they are now sitting together.

“Orphanage. You don’t remember how you got here?”

“My head hurts…” She said, massaging her head “I don’t remember but this place feels familiar.”

 

Yujin reached to her head, then massage it lightly “Mayb—“

Grandma Gina reached out to touch the wound on Yujin’s face, “It dried now.”

Yujin smile “It—“

 

“Grandma Gina!” Sister Nara runs towards them, followed by Yena

 

“S-sister Nara?” Grandma Gina stood up as she look where the voice is coming from

Sister Nara release a relief sigh when she sees her “That’s her.”

 

“Sister Nara!” Grandma Gina almost jump from where she’s standing

“You know her?” Yujin asked

“I remember… I remember.” She answered “I must’ve forgotten to take my medicine this morning.”

 

“Grandma Gina, where have you been? I was so worried about you.” Sister Nara said hugging the older woman

“I’m sorry for worrying you, I was so excited seeing the volunteer coming today, I forgot to take my medicine.” Grandma Gina said

“Let’s go, check you out.” Sister Nara said and before Grandma Gina could say another word, the sister had pulled her away.

 

 

“Yena unnie…” Minjoo called, “Eunbi unnie said you found her?”

“Yeah, they’re disinfecting the scratches on her feet but she’s okay.” Yena answered

“Can you check Yujin for me?” Grandma Gina asked, looking at Minjoo and Yena “Make sure she’s alright.”

“Yujin?” Minjoo look at Yena

“Yujin’s the one who found her.” Yena answered

“I-I was a little out of it earlier and I threw a stone at her when she tried to talk to me.” Grandma said “She said she’s fine but she got wounded and it bleeds”

 

Sister Nara gasped, as both Yena and Minjoo looked shocked.

 

“Will you hold it here?” Sister Nara asked pointing at the bandages on the older woman’s foot as Yena rushed to the woman

“Will you please make sure she’s okay?” The older woman pleads

Minjoo nodded, “I’ll check on her…”

 

 

Minjoo had found Hyewon and Yujin talking outside and decided to just stay behind the wall.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Hyewon asked looking worried and full of concern “Does it hurt?”

“Unnie, it’s just a scratch.” Yujin chuckles “You’re over-reacting.”

“I’m not over-reacting; I’m worried” She replied “Why did you even do that? You should’ve asked for help.”

“She’s looks so scared and confused, I can’t just leave her out there.”

“So you just what put yourself out there? What if something worst happen?”

“The only worst thing that could happen was her getting lost out there while out of her medicine. That weights more than this little scratch.” Yujin told her

“I d—“

“I’m hungry.” Yujin cut her off “You said you’d get us food but I don’t see food in you. You didn’t eat all by yourself, didn’t you?”

“What do you take me f—“

“I’m really hungry, for real” Yujin laughed as she pulled Hyewon to walk “Do they have sandwich sausages?”

 

Minjoo came out from the wall, looked at the two figures and stayed her eyes to Yujin.