The Injured

Serendipity

CHAPTER 16

 

“What are you doing?” Chaewon asked looking weirdly at Yena, she’s been sitting silently for a couple of minutes now with her eyes closed.

“I’m thinking.”

“About what?” Chaewon asked again. Then looked at Yuri and Chaeyeon who just shrugged their shoulder.

 

Yena didn’t answer as she open her eyes. She starts tapping her finger on the table. She has been thinking about Minjoo’s girlfriend. She looks familiar, Yena was racking her brain out on where she had seen the girl before. She’s sure she had seen her in more than one occasion.

 

“Can we help you?” Chaeyeon asked

“No, I got it.” Yena answered as she carried her bag and went out of the student council’s room.

 

“Is she okay?” Chaewon asked Yuri “She’s been acting weird than usual.”

Yuri has a clue why Yena’s been acting that way but didn’t tell them “I’m sure she’s fine.”

 

“Where have I seen her before, where I have seen before?” Yena mumbles as she walk mindlessly on the hallways “Where have I seen he—ouch.” Someone bumped into her.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” A woman exclaimed “I didn’t saw you.”

Smile crept up on Yena’s face when she saw the woman “It’s okay, Hyewon, it’s my fault, I wasn’t loo— You!”

“Me, what?” Hyewon asked stunned.

Yena clapped, smiling fully “It was you.”

“That’s why she looks familiar!” Yena exclaimed happily

Hyewon just looked at her more confused “Who looks familiar?”

“No, nothing.” Yena answered chuckling “See you around.” She said as she left Hyewon.

“What was that?” Hyewon asked looking at Yena’s figure that was skipping happily.

 

“Someone’s happy.” Yuri said when Yena came back to the student’s council room humming

“That’s because I’m winning our bet.”

“Aren’t you tired making a bet with Yuri, you always loses anyway?” Chaewon said after hearing what Yena said.

“Exactly what I told her.” Yuri said “But she wouldn’t back out.”

“What did you bet this time?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” Yena smiles confidently

“Are you sure you’re going to win? The festival will star tomorrow and you only have four days until you prove that.” Yuri said

“I got everything under control. This is a sure win.” Yena said laughing

“Are you sure it wasn’t just your imagination?”

“No, this one I could feel in my bones.” Yena said, she won’t tell Yuri what she saw and heard at the café “I am so going to win this.”

 

The Sports festival has been going smoothly ever since it started last Tuesday and now it’s Friday. As usual, the student council was busy all throughout the event but it didn’t stop Yena to do some digging.

The track and field will be held today and Yujin will participate on the event. She took note of that after seeing Yujin’s name on that even after going through all the list of sports.

 

“Many students participated on the track and field this year.” Chaewon said

“Ms. Im had required all of her students to participate in the festival so that’s expected.” Chaeyeon answered “Do you think Yuju will still be the champion?”

“I don’t know.” Yena answered “Are you rooting for someone in particular, you’re sister is participating, right?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think she’d win though.” Chaeyeon laughs

“How about you Minjoo?” Yena asked her gaze on Minjoo, watching her like a hawk “Rooting for someone?”

“Not really.” Minjoo answered, but Yena caught the one second off beat on Minjoo before she answered. She caught her.

“Well, I’m rooting for Ryujin.” Yena says to not make things obvious “I heard she runs fast.”

//

 

\\

“The game will start in an hour…”

Hyewon made a long sigh “I took off Ms. I’m in my list of favorite professor.”

Yujin laughs, Hyewon hasn’t stop whining since yesterday “It’s okay, it’ll be 30 seconds and you’re done.”

“30 longest second of my life.”

“How about we grab a food, my treat.” Yujin said, Hyewon face lit up immediately

//

 

\\

“You’re up.” Yujin told Hyewon

“I really hate this.” Hyewon muttered as she got up from her feet

“Come on, you can do this, fighting!”

“If I came first you have to treat me.”

“I just treated you earlier.”

“That was earlier.”

“Okay, fine.” Yujin surrenders “I’ll treat you if you came first.”

 

‘Ready…

Bang!

 

“Unnie!!!” Yujin screamed excitedly when she saw Hyewon running faster than the 10 student running “Unnie!!!”

“YEAHHH!!!!” Yujin screamed when Hyewon crossed the line and run to her quickly

 

“Unnie, you won!!!” Yujin said as she hug Hyewon tightly

“I can’t… I can’t believe I won that!”

“I can’t believe you won that too.” Yujin said excitedly while hugging Hyewon

“You have to treat me! Yeyyyyy!”

“Okay, okay… but after I’m done with mine.” Yujin said happily

 

Yena watches Hyewon and Yujin’s from where she’s standing and then gaze back to Minjoo. Minjoo was busy with whatever file she’s reading so she didn’t get to see the round but Yujin’s up next and she likes to see what Minjoo’s reaction could be.

 

Minjoo finished right before Yujin’s turn, she actually finished it as fast as she could so she wouldn’t miss Yujin’s game.

 

 

“Fighting!!!” Hyewon cheered

“If I came first you have to treat me too.” Yuin said

“I’ll treat you even if you came last.” Hyewon said

“Wow, you’re so cool.”

Hyewon laughs “Goodluck.”

 

The students line up and the screams start as they cheered for the players, but Yena finds watching Minjoo watching Yujin more fun and enjoyable, she couldn’t help smiling seeing how Minjoo watches attentively when she didn’t bother doing so in the past.

 

Bang!

 

The player starts running and glances back and forth to Yujin and Minjoo, Yujin was winning and as much as Minjoo tries not to make an obvious reaction Yena could see how nervous she was because she’s watching her intently.

And after a few seconds, Yujin crossed the line and the screamed can be heard on every side, Yujin was after all a famous student too, Yena found out about the first years and higher year gushing about Yujin because she isn’t just smart, the students find her mysterious too because she’s not really a talker and the only person she always talks to comfortably is Hyewon.

 

She had to suppress her laugh when she saw Minjoo almost threw her hands up in the air but stopped immediately when Yujin came in first.

 

“Aish, this girl…” She muttered chuckling,

 

“Yujin-ah!!!!” Hyewon screamed as she runs to Yujin “Wowwww, you weren’t joking when you said you run fast enough!”

“I told you.” Yujin boast laughing

“I think you can win a medal for this.” Hyewon said excitedly

“I don’t think so,” Yujin said

“Come on, you’re fast.”

“No, I don’t think I can participate in the next game.” Yujin said “I think I sprained my ankle.”

Worry quickly crept into Hyewon’s face “Are you okay? How bad is it?”

“Not that bad but I think I should sit it down.”

“Come on, let’s go to the infirmary” Hyewon said as she grabbed Yujin’s arm to assist her from walking.

 

From where they are standing Yena can see the way Yujin walks and could tell that she injured herself. She looked at Minjoo and she can see the concerned and worry on her, no one notice besides her because everyone was busy on something.

 

She could see Minjoo following Yujin and Hyewon on her gaze, she wouldn’t be surprised if Minjoo sprint out any seconds now. If it was her, she would go to her girlfriend in a heartbeat but she guess Minjoo must’ve wanted to keep everything a secret if she’s trying hard not to run to Yujin right now.

 

“You okay?” Chaewon tapped Minjoo’s shoulder when she didn’t answer after calling her for several times.

“Y-yeah, yeah… you need something?”

“Nothing, Eunbi unnie was asking for the result of the games from earlier.”

“I’ll send it to her.” Minjoo said

 

“Yuri-ah, I heard one of the winners got injured from the game earlier, can you check her? I just want to know if we should take her off on the participants list later.” Chaeyeon said

And Yena could see Minjoo suddenly tensed.

 

“Sure.” Yuri nodded and got up from her seat when Yena called her

“Yuri-ah, can you help me with this?” Yena asked

“I don’t thi—“

“Minjoo-ah, can you check the students instead?” Yena asked “I really need to finish this or Eunbi unnie will eat me.”

“Of course!” Minjoo answered quickly and got up from her seat to leave immediately.

 

Getting everyone’s attention.

 

“Is she okay?” It was Chaeyeon

“What’s with her?” Chaewon “She’s doing just fine earlier.”

 

“What can I help you with?” Yuri asked

“Nothing, really.” Yena answered “Just want to help Minjoo.”

“Minjoo? What do you mean?” Yuri asked confusedly

“Do you remember our bet?” Yena then leaned in to whisper “That Minjoo is dating someone…”

Yuri nodded “And?”

“The girl who got injured…”

 

And it takes a few seconds before it sinks to Yuri what Yena is telling her. “Don’t tell me…”

“I’m telling you…”

“No way.”

“Yes way.”

“Oh my God!”

“Do you see how fast she was to leave, she could compete in the track and field.” Yena said “I told you… I could feel it in my bones.”

“But it could just a coincidence, I mean someone was injured of course it’s natural to get concerned.”

“But she’s too concerned. You didn’t saw her earlier.”

“Still, you don’t have any proof.”

“I know which is why we are going there now.” Yena said

“No, we are not going there. That’s invasion of privacy.”

“Or you don’t just want to lose.”

“That’s childish.”

“You’re losing and you don’t want to accept it, that’s childish.”

“Fine.” Yuri said in defeat “But if Minjoo gets mad, I’m telling her it was your idea.”

“Deal.” Yena said with a smile and proceed to leave the room.

 

“Don’t you think everyone is acting weird?”  Chaewon asked Chaeyeon when Yuri and Yena went out of the room.

“I thought it was just me.” Chaeyeon said “Yena and Yuri’s been whispering weirdly too, do you think they’re up for something?”

“They’re always up for something.”

“But I got a feeling about this.” Chaeyeon’s said “You up?”

“Definitely.” Chaewon answered smiling as they both went out.

 

“Is that Minjoo, why is she running?” Eunbi asked

“I’m not sure.” Nako answered after a few minutes they saw Yena and Yuri running too. “Did something happen.”

“I’m not sure.” Eunbi said “But it’s Yena and Yuri saw, that’s not really surp— that’s totally weird.” She admits when she now saw Chaeyeon and Chaewon running too.

“Maybe something did happen.” Nako said

“Let’s check.” Eunbi said as she and Nako follows the others.