Chapter 11: Time Slip

55,365 minutes

Seungwan awoke to the sound of birds. Their mating calls, warbling and loud, echoing throughout the forest. In the distance she could hear the sounds of life, people talking quietly as they moved through the winding trails that passed their camp. The sound of people cooking and moving about the campsite adjacent to them settling in her ears. She drew in a deep breath, the bitter cool air filling her chest. She didn’t want to move, just lay there and enjoy the warmth of the body snuggled against her.

“Morning, Wannie,” Joohyun whispered in a tiny and tired voice, as the woman pressed against her back, snuggling tighter. She felt a slender arm drape across her side, tiny hand falling to rest against her stomach to tug at the fabric of her sleeping shirt. A leg slid between her own, heel slowly grazing the length of her shin as Joohyun pulled her closer. She could feel the woman’s hot breath play across her shoulder and neck. She liked it.

“Morning, Joohyun,” Seungwan said shyly, keenly aware of Joohyun’s bossom crushing against her back. Her lips curled into a mischievous grin as she suddenly wiggled back into the woman holding her, the low gasp escaping Joohyun’s throat making her chuckle.

“Deviant,” Joohyun called Seungwan with a soft laugh. Her voice softened as she said, a hint of trepidation in her tone, “Call me Hyun.” Joohyun’s nose gently nuzzle through Seungwan’s short, dark hair to rub against the warm flesh of her neck. The woman inhaled deep before murmuring happily, “You still smell so good.”

“Hyun,” Seungwan repeated slowly, letting the word roll about in , growing comfortable with its shape. The name felt intimate. Just saying it made her entire body feel warm and electric. It was a dangerous name she planned to say often.

She simply laid there, reveling in the sensation of Joohyun’s hot breath on her skin, the light brush of the woman’s nose. She felt tingles growing behind her eyes, wondering how a simple touch from this woman could make her body feel alive. A shudder, unbidden, started at her shoulders and rolled it’s way down her entire length, her toes curling at the end.

“Omo. Are you okay?”

“That just tickles in a good way,” Seungwan said sheepishly. She clenched her eyes shut as Joohyun laughed, head rolling back after a final nuzzle. They fell silent for a minute, just listening to the outside world, happy to be trapped in their tiny bubble.

“I had a dream,” Seungwan began slowly, her hand slipping beneath the blankets to find Joohyun’s, the woman’s fingers spread wide across her tummy. Her fingers slid between Joohyun’s, clasping tight as Seungwan slowly rolled onto her back. Turning her head, she felt her breath catch, a fresh wave of tingles washing over her at the sight of Joohyun’s face. She wondered if she’d feel this way were she to wake up every morning in this gorgeous woman’s arms.

Joohyun batted her lashes a moment, full lips drawing into a happy smile. The woman’s head fell onto Seungwan’s pillow, inching forward. Seungwan felt her chest tighten and heart jump a beat. With a grin, Joohyun bumped the girl’s cheek with her nose and said in a raspy voice, “Tell me about your dream, Wannie.”

Seungwan felt as though her entire body was going to melt, the endearing name spilling from Joohyun’s lips making her stomach flip and flop. She wanted to kiss this woman, to know what her lips taste like. She wondered what their hot flesh, bared , would feel like pressed together. With a heavy gulp, she closed her eyes and tried to force the thought from her mind and instead sought for the hazy memory of her dream.

“We were in a giant, open field,” Seungwan said, her voice distant, “We were walking hand in hand. There wasn’t anything we could see except for green grass stretching to the horizon and a sky so blue it almost looked black.” She narrowed her eyes in concentration, words coming out slow, “Suddenly, there was a giant tree looming up before us that seemed to reach up and disappear into the atmosphere.”

She turned her head, lips pursed as she thought for a moment and finally asked, “Do you know what a mylar balloon is?”

Joohyun blinked a moment and brows furrowed as she thought about a moment. Realization blossom on her face as she said, “Ah! Those are the shiny, metallic looking balloons people spell out their names with, right? They also come in designs and the like?”

Seungwan gave a quick nod, confusion in her voice as she recalled more of the dream. “There were thousands of them hanging from the tree branches, swaying around. All of sudden there was a flash of lightning and cold rain started pouring down on us. It didn’t rain last night did it?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Huh,” Seungwan grunted before continuing, “We tried to run under the tree but everytime we came close, the balloons would gather and block us. We ran around it trying to get out of the rain when suddenly you started popping them with a fingernail. One by one, until we got under the tree.”

“Omo. I don’t like the sound of balloons popping. They tend to scare me when that happens,” Joohyun said with a soft giggle, amusement in her eyes. The woman was intent on watching Seungwan talk, the way the girls lips formed and moved when she spoke. “As far as dreams go, I don’t think that’s the weirdest one I’ve heard of. Was that it?”

“No,” Seungwan said, a pink blush creeping upwards along her neck, suddenly feeling timid beneath Joohyun’s gaze. “Once we were under the tree we stripped out of our wet clothes and you kissed me. That’s when I woke up.”

“Oh my,” Joohyun said in a shocked voice. “Did you peak at me changing last night to know what I look like ,” Joohyun teased as she raised her head to look at Seungwan with a tormenting gaze.

“No, I swear,” Seungwan blurted out, her sudden look of distress causing Joohyun to giggle. Seungwan huffed slightly and tried to let go of Joohyun’s hand but found the woman’s grip like iron, unrelenting in its grasp. 

“Sorry, Wannie. I had to tease,” Joohyun said apologetically before dropping her chin to rest on Seungwan’s shoulder, faces inches apart. “What do you think the dream meant?”

“I don’t know,” Seungwan said as she rolled her head away, the proximity of Joohyun’s lips suddenly making her feel shy. She gasped at the sudden sensation of Joohyun’s nose and lips grazing along the length of her neck, the woman inhaling in slow, deep breaths. A tiny, happy moan filled Joohyun’s throat as she mumbled something about fabric softener.

They fell into silence, lost to the intimacy of the moment. The feel of each others bodies, the warmth they shared beneath the sleeping bags. Beams of sunlight finally broke through the tree canopy, piercing the orange nylon of the tent’s roof. 

“You don’t seem like you’re going to run away this morning,” Joohyun said softly as she scooted in tighter against Seungwan’s side, her fingers slowly drumming along the girl’s stomach. “What happened?”

“You gave me hope,” Seungwan whispered. Joohyun’s fingers paused, the warmth of her palm seeping through the light fabric of Seungwan’s shirt. Joohyun slowly slid on top of Seungwan, her small body pinning the girl to the floor. Seungwan watched as Joohyun’s head rolled back, a single brow quirked.

“What kind of hope?”

“That you’ll still want me once your number disappears,” Seungwan said, her voice low and thick with emotion. Worry and hope intermingling like two battling spirits in her words. “When you told me that a choice is stronger than fate, it gave me hope.” She watched the way Joohyun’s eyes brightened, just the simple pleasure of the woman’s smile having such a profound effect on her. It made her heart skip and her stomach tingle.

Seungwan’s hands slid around Joohyun to rest along the woman’s back, both of them smiling happily at each other. Outside the tent, they could hear the stirrings of their friends. The soft teasing chatter between Yeri and Seulgi as the pair ped their tent, talking of a morning walk and sunrises kisses only to hear the sound of mock retching coming from Sooyoung’s tent. 

“Do you want a sunrise kiss?” Seungwan watched the look of surprise, raised brows and widened eyes, that rose on Joohyun’s features. Why those words had slipped out of , she wasn’t sure. They came unbidden, a moment of raw, unfiltered thought where her lips carried what was on her mind.

“The sun’s already up,” Joohyun said, her voice turning playful as she turned shy, eyes falling half lidded, her entire demeanor changing in a moment. “But I wouldn’t say no to a post sunrise kiss.”

Seungwan bit her lip, lost in the delicate beauty that was before her. She desperately wanted to kiss this woman but despite her words of hope, she still dreaded the unknown. A dread that echoed in her eyes as Joohyun’s shy smiled turned into a frown. With a soft sigh, Joohyun said, “Sorry, I’m pushing too fast,” as she started to roll off of Seungwan.

Seungwan tensed her arms, holding Joohyun in place atop her as she said quickly, “You’re not. I’m the one who mentioned the kiss and then got scared when face with it.” She sighed and closed her eyes, head rolling back as she spoke, “While I’m filled with hope my experiences have left me deathly afraid of what could happen. I just… hope you understand.”

Seungwan’s eyes flicked open, rising to the space above the woman’s head. 38,165 minutes. Joohyun’s eyes narrowed and she quickly brought a hand up to cover Seungwan’s eyes, “Don’t look at them. And I do understand,” she said in an even voice as she dropped her head to rest on Seungwan’s chest, the wild beating of the girl’s heart pounding in her ear.  “But I just need to go at a pace you’re comfortable with. Sooyoung said that getting you to date me would be an uphill battle,” Joohyun whispered. “You’re worth the fight.”

Seungwan felt her chest tighten, the woman’s words taking the wind out of her. She couldn’t help but feel her hope bolstered by the confidence in Joohyun’s words. “I’m going to keep those words forever in my heart,” Seungwan said in a whisper.

“What’s this?” Joohyun chuckled and looked at Seungwan with amused eyes. “Every now and then your greasiness just slips out, doesn’t it?” She gave a playful tickle to the girl’s side, laughing as Seungwan yelped and squirmed.

“I just like romance,” Seungwan said with a pout. “Maybe that’s why your words struck me so deep,” Seungwan said in introspection. She bit her lip and gave Joohyun an analytical look. “If you are going to be my girlfriend, think you can handle it?”

The sudden brightening of Joohyun’s face at the word girlfriend made Seungwan chuckle, amusement touching her features. In a shy voice, Joohyun bumped her nose playfully against Seungwan's cheek as she asked, “Is that what I am now? Your girlfriend?”

Her heart felt like it was going to explode, the words settling over her like a roiling, ocean wave. She knew that it was going to pull her under and she was left with the choice of fighting it or succumbing. She thought of Joohyun’s words, “You’re worth it.” The look of hope mixed with vulnerability in the woman’s eyes breaking down her resolve.

“Let’s give it a try,” Seungwan said, letting her heart direct her in the moment. The brilliance of Joohyun’s smile was infectious, a loud squee of delight exploding out of the woman’s throat that threatened to wake the entire forest. Her worries were washed away, shoved into the back of her mind as the embrace of Joohyun’s arms tightened, their bodies pressed so tight together she thought they may become one.

“What the hell was that?” They heard Sungjae’s voice emanating from the tent next to them. They giggled together before quickly biting lips, trying to keep from making too much noise.

“I think there’s a dolphin in our camp,” Sooyoung said in a sleepy voice. “Just cuddle with me a bit longer, Sweety, and we can kill it later.” 

Joohyun giggled and gave Seungwan quick peck on the cheek, the girl’s eyes blinking in surprise. “Why don’t we get up and get the day started. I have plans for us.”

“Plans? Can't we just stay in bed today?”

“Plans,” Joohyun said plainly as she slowly rolled away from Seungwan, disentangling their limbs, the sudden vacancy leaving Seungwan feeling abandoned. “Now close your eyes so I can change,” Joohyun said before sitting up, the sleeping back falling away from the woman’s body. Her lips drew into a smirk, eyes flirtatious as she whispered to Seungwan, “Or don’t if you want.”

With a squeak in and a sudden blush, Seungwan quickly pulled the sleeping back over her head to the sound of Joohyun’s cackles. She couldn’t admit it, but she did want to watch as she brought up a hand to caress her cheek, the hot imprint of Joohyun’s tiny kiss lingering there.

***

The flames of the campfire at the air, heavy wafts of white and grey smoke rising up to be carried away by the breeze. It buffered her against the morning chill, the tufts of green grass and shrubs covered in glistening dew. She wrapped her arms tight around herself, eyes locked onto the dancing flames. 

The camp moved slowly about her, people moving and getting ready for the day. Seulgi and Yeri were busy at the camp stove, talking animatedly about egg toast. Rose and Lisa sat across the fire pit, sharing a single chair with the small redhead curled up in Lisa’s lap. They were whispering and talking, looking deep in love.

Sooyoung’s tent zipper opened and the tall, raven haired woman shuffled out with a yawn, arms reaching out to her sides in a languid stretch. From within the tent Sungjae called out, “Can you close the tent, Honey? I need to get changed.” With a roll of her eyes, Sooyoung turned and zipped the tent closed before looking around.

“Where’s Joohyun?” 

“I’m not sure,” Seulgi said as she opened a package of sliced bread. “She was here five minutes ago and then she ran off somewhere. Maybe Seungwan knows?”

“Hmmm?” Seungwan looked up from the flames at the mention of her name, brows raised in question. “What was that?”

“I was just wondering where Joohyun went,” Sooyoung said as she skipped over to Seungwan, leaning down to drape her arms over the girl’s shoulders. She rested her chin on top of Seungwan’s head and flashed a smile to the couple sitting across from them.

“Oh. Hyun went to get a trail map from the camp office,” Seungwan said with a smile.

“Hyun?” Rose said as she looked at Lisa with surprise on her face, brows raised high. “Did she tell you to call her Hyun?” Rose leaned forward, eyes narrowed as she asked the question.

“Yes,” Seungwan said slowly, suddenly feeling confused by the intensity in the redhead’s tone.

“And you claim you’re not dating, huh?” Rose suddenly smirked and leaned back into Lisa, the blonde giving a soft laugh.

“Am I missing something?” Sooyoung asked as she stood and gave the top of Seungwan’s head a quick pat. 

“Wait,” Seulgi said, the girl running around from the stove, eyes wide with excitement, a piece of bread and a knife coated with butter clung in her hands. “She actually told you to call her Hyun?”

Seungwan looked around like the world was going crazy, everyone looking at her with expectant eyes. “Yes,” she replied in a long voice. “It’s a cute name.”

“You don’t get it,” Yeri said with a smirk as she cracked an egg into a small mixing bowl. “Joohyun has only ever let her girlfriends call her that. Everyone else has to call her by her full name.”

Seungwan her lips anxiously, everyone’s eyes seeming to bore into her. She shifted nervously in her seat, wondering just how much to reveal. “Is it okay to tell everyone,” she pondered. As she opened , Joohyun’s voice rang out from the edge of camp.

“That’s because she is my girlfriend,” Joohyun stated simply as she strode into camp. Seungwan jumped out of her seat, looking around with flustered eyes as everyone’s mouths fell agape. She looked at the woman walking towards her, dark black jeans that hugged Joohyun’s legs, a flowing white shirt of cotton and a wide brimmed white hat perched on her head. 

“Do you want to eat breakfast first,” Joohyun began as she held up a folded map clutched in her hand, her pert lips curled into a grin as she spoke, “or shall we go for a walk first and work up an appetite?”

Seungwan boggled at how Joohyun could simply state their new situation like she was telling everyone the sky was blue. As Joohyun drew a few paces away, Sooyoung gave the woman a wink and stepped aside and whispered so only the three of them could hear, “That was faster than I expected.”

Her cheeks flushed a deep red, she stood and tried to talk, unable to form solid words. With a low laugh, Joohyun slid her hand into Seungwan’s, eyes dancing happily as she declared, “We’re going for a walk. Don’t hold up breakfast for us.” Joohyun’s fingers curled into Seungwan’s as she started to back away, drawing the girl with her. As they broke through the clearing and into the forest, their friends erupted into conversation.

Seungwan fell silent as they began down a small path, twisting and turning through the trees and low brush, watching carefully for rocks and roots. She would cast sidelong glances at Joohyun, the woman’s face a mask of bliss with lips drawn into a perpetual smile. Every now and then Joohyun would giggle to herself and look over at Seungwan.

“You really just put it out there,” Seungwan said as the lake sprung into view, the tall trees growing sparse as they neared the waters edge. The scent of water was heavy on the wind, the spray cool and fresh. 

“Is that okay?” Joohyun’s hand slipped free of Seungwans before encircling the girl’s waist, drawing her in close as they slowly walked the path. “I should have asked you first if we were going to announce it,” she said with a sigh. “I tend to be impulsive when it comes to those I care about.”

“They were going to find out at some point,” Seungwan said graciously. “I just wasn’t sure if you wanted me to tell anyone,” Seungwan laughed. “I think we’re opposites in that regard. I worry a lot and you just barrel ahead.”

“I worry too,” Joohyun said quickly. “I worry about a lot of things and quite often. This may sound odd, but when I’m not with you my stomach is in knots of worry but the second I see your face,” Joohyun pursed her lips and made a poofing noise, “Suddenly I’m full of confidence.”

“I’m never full of confidence,” Seungwan admitted with a chuckle. “Like right now I lack confidence but I have hope. You’re my hope,” she said with a happy whisper. 

“Greasy,” Joohyun said before giving a rolling, loud laugh that echoed through the trees. She dropped her head to rest on Seungwan’s shoulder, hand gently running against the girl’s waist, creeping upwards until her fingertips tickled ribs.

“Do you mind my greasiness?”

“I love it.”

They walked in silence to the shore, the soft waves rolling up along a short, pebbled beach. Joohyun guided them to the edge of the treeline, her eyes looking into the distance, over the water and to the small mountain that loomed up on the other side.

“A romantic morning walk was part of the plan,” Joohyun suddenly said. Seungwan turned her head, eyes watching the woman’s face, pink lips moving slowly as Joohyun spoke in a hushed tone. “It’s funny that we spent so much time working out a plan for me to seduce you but all it took was you overhearing me confess.”

“You said we. Don’t tell me, Sooyoung was hoping you, right?”

Joohyun nodded. She looked over at Seungwan, her eyes begging forgiveness as she spoke, “When I ran into her we got to talking and she figured out I liked you. I was just so desperate for us to have a chance that I was willing to go along with anything she could scheme up.”

Seungwan laughed and shook her head. She reached up and booped Joohyun’s nose with a fingertip, her lips curled into a lopsided grin. “I’m not angry. In fact I find it endearing but you should know, any time Sooyoung schemes it never goes the way she thinks it will go. She has her heart in the right place but her mind…” Seungwan let her sentence trail off as Joohyun giggled.

“So, what else did you have planned?”

“Not telling,” Joohyun said. She placed a kiss against Seungwan’s shoulder before nuzzling it with her cheek. “I still want to do all the things we thought up. Except instead of it being with my future girlfriend it’ll be with my actual girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend,” Seungwan said slowly. “Last night if you had just said that word, I would have run away screaming.” She looked up at the branches reaching out overhead, giving way to clear blue sky. “Sometime between going to bed and waking up, my mind changed.”

“Do you think it’ll change again?”

She could feel the undertone of worry in Joohyun’s whisper, the way the woman’s fingers bit into her side as though to keep her from running away. Seungwan wondered that herself. “I know I’ll be scared. I know I’ll watch your numbers count down and with every passing tick, feel dread. But change my mind? No.”

“Good.”

“You have enough confidence for the both of us,” Seungwan laughed. She began to slowly step back, her arm around Joohyun’s shoulder, pulling the woman with her. “But while I’m feeling confident, let me do something I’ve been thinking about for a while.”

Joohyun’s brows furrowed as Seungwan pulled her behind a large tree, grasping Joohyun and turning the woman to face her. She found the look of surprise on Joohyun’s face adorable. Reaching up, Seungwan cupped Joohyun’s chin, thumb gently caressing along the woman’s cheek. “You can do this,” Seungwan told herself, her nerves jittery. Her eyes fell to Joohyun’s lips, her heart pounding hard within her chest.

She watched as Joohyun’s eyes registered surprise, the woman realizing what was going through Seungwan’s head. Joohyun’s hands fell to rest against Seungwan’s hips, the woman’s eyes fluttering shut, willingly giving herself to Seungwan, waiting patiently. Seungwan leaned into Joohyun, head cocking slightly, eyes fluttering shut as their lips drew close.

The first press of lips against lips sent a shock down her back. A groan filled unbidden as she felt her girlfriend’s lips move, playing tenderly against her own. As she drew her head back, eyes fluttering open and a happy little sigh on her lips, she saw the pink flush on Joohyun’s cheeks and delight in the woman’s eyes.

“Were you thinking of her?”

“No,” Seungwan said in a happy tone that was echoed in smile that blossomed on Joohyun’s lips.

 

 

Authors Notes: When I outline a chapter, I have certain events and conversation points predetermined. Sometimes it's easy to get from the start to the end, hitting them all. I also have to keep in mind what I have planned for future chapters and not throw the entire plotline out of wack. This chapter was hard because I kept writing things that would have skewed future events and change how they would feel for the reader. This chapter took the longest for me to get to a point I felt it was ready to publish. I hope the rest aren't as difficult!