END

My Birthday Dates

“Wheein ah~”

She whispered softly in my ears. For some reason, I got annoyed for a second because I was in my deep slumber. And then she blasted the birthday song in my ear.

I swear to God. This idiot is behaving like an annoying boyfriend.

“Go away!”

“Wake up! Sunshine bright morning! Wakey wakey!”

She forced her way into my embrace; crashing her head on my arm as I struggled to push her away. This human hamster was getting on my nerves. She turned to her side and then snuggled closely to me. I slapped her arm.

“How long more are you going to sleep? Aren’t we supposed to be on a date today?”

“It’s not even 9 in the morning. It’s only 7am.”

“Yeah I know but I only have till 1pm with you. And I have prepared today specially for you.”

I didn’t need to open my eyes; I knew she was pouting. I turned to look at her; she was sulking. I sighed softly as I ran my fingers through her hair. She cuddled me closer to her body; she pressed her lips on my cheeks.

“Happy Birthday, Jung Wheein.”

My lips curled into a smile. Yes, today I turned 24. (I don’t care about Korean Age.) The boss gave me a day off since it was my birthday. I was looking forward to spending my “me-time” alone. But I was so wrong. My friends have planned out something, but I would be spending my day in 3 different timing – Morning, Afternoon and Evening.

Apparently, they had a game and the winner was given the choose her preferred timing. And Yongsun unnie won. She chose the evening.  And the morning captain – Moon Byulyi aka the annoying hamster.

She bugged me to get up; pulled me out of my bed; even volunteered to wash me. Of course, I stopped her.

“No way, I can do it myself!”

“It’s your birthday. I can do it for you.”

“I’m not a baby!”

It took me awhile before I could fend off this greasy monster. I quickly washed up and got out of my bathroom in a bathrobe. Well, it was more like a onesie. And Moonbyul unnie bought it for me.  The moment I stepped out of the bathroom; it felt like a red carpet. This unnie was busily taking photos of me in my onesie. That lie detector was so wrong about the most erted member in the group. It wasn’t Yongsun unnie. Moonbyul unnie should win the honours.

“Okay, royal highness. Let’s grab some breakfast.”

She led me to my kitchen, and I was pleasantly surprised. I could only see my favourite food and even those that were difficult to get. I turned to look at her; she was beaming.

“Yes, that is your favourite blood sundae. I drove to Jeonju yesterday; got these and the other food that you love. Today’s your birthday. I shall treat you like a princess.”

I smiled widely. She fed me; poured me drinks and even sang for me when I requested. I must have been blessed to have Moonbyul unnie with me. She protects me; she pampers me; she takes good care of me and she always has this aura of being our super hero in the group.

She would stand in front of us; facing off whoever was in front of us. She would speak up for us when she felt that the media might be too intrusive. And especially for me; Moonbyul unnie has this habit of wrapping her arms around my waist. And then she would pull me closer and cuddle me in her embrace.

Just like what she was doing now.

We were facing the big mirror in my living room. I was in my new hoodie which she bought – well, I wasn’t surprised when she took out hers.

“Couple look!”

“You’re not even mine.”

“Hey, I thought we’re sharing each other?”

“Yeah, and that’s the reason why I have 3 birthday dates instead of 1. How lucky I am.”

“Well, you’re one lucky girl. 3 girls love you.”

“Why can’t you 3 just compromise and we spend the whole day together?”

“We have different agendas. Besides, you don’t have to spend money.”

“I have money too.”

“Aww, our puppy is grump today. Things will get better, trust me.”

“I’m not grumpy! Just sleepy.”

“It’s the same.”

“Gee, you’re still annoying as ever.”

“That’s my middle name.”

“Shut up.”

I think we took like a million of photos before I denied her. She’s into photography. Taking photos were her hobby. We were often the subjects for her photographs. Then she ushered me out of my apartment; we changed into something more comfortable. I was wearing a white dress while Moonbyul unnie was in her usual jeans and white shirt.

“Wow, we look good together.”

I stared at the mirror. She was right. We did look good together. We were both in white. She’s taller than me; slender and thin and I’m small, petite and my dimple wins over everything including her height. She loves my dimple; poking her finger into it.

Today was no exception.

“Okay, let’s go.”

“Where are we going again?”

“Just follow me. I have something for you. I have another 2 more hours with you.”

“Sure, but where are we going?”

She didn’t answer; instead she gave a soft smile. We got into her car and she quickly drove off. She some music. We sat in silence; I was completely immersed with the songs that I didn’t realize that unnie was driving out of town.

We were on the highway when unnie was steadily driving at 100km/h. An hour later, we arrived, and I recognized the place. It was my late grandmother’s resting place. I looked around; tears were b in my eyes. God, I haven’t been here for the longest time.

“Unnie..”

“I know you miss your haelmoni, but you just couldn’t find time to do so. Today is your birthday; maybe this will be the best time for you to spend your morning with your haelmoni.”

I was grateful for this opportunity. It was true, I couldn’t find time to come back. And lately, I have been missing my haelmoni. I missed her laughter; her soft touches and how she would call my name. Moonbyul unnie grabbed something from her bonnet and pulled out a lovely bouquet of flowers.

“I came prepared. This is my gift for you. An hour with your haelmoni. Now go ahead, I’ll wait for you here.”

I nodded and made my way to where my grandmother’s ashes were resting. I stood in front of her photo; tears fell naturally. I spent my whole childhood with her; haelmoni literally raised me up. I could have been a better grand-daughter but I have lost my chance.

Sometimes I wished I could turn back the hands of time. Then I would never, never scream at her for the rest of my life. It wasn’t easy to have those memories; stuck at the back of my mind. I wished I was dead instead of her. I wish I could just erase that memory, but I couldn’t.

I had to live with it.

“Haelmoni, I’m here.”

I whispered in my heart. She was smiling in her photo; her bright eyes and her soft-features were vividly etched on my mind.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get to spend more time with you. I’m sorry, I didn’t come here to visit you often. I’m a bad grand-daughter. I should have found time to visit you, but I never did. Honestly haelmoni, I couldn’t. It still hurts.  And I’m still blaming myself for everything that had happened to you.”

Tears fell from the corner of my eyes.

“Lately, I have been thinking of you more than usual. And as usual, I wished I could turn back the hands of time; to bring you back to me and this time, I’ll take good care of you. I’ll keep you beside me so that you can live with me forever. But I know this is just a dream; a regret that I could never get over for the rest of my life.”

I wiped the dust around her photo; I smiled as I caressed it gently.

“I turn 25 this year, haelmoni. Your Wheein is all grown up now and she’s standing here in front of you. Please forgive the childish Wheein back then, haelmoni. And you know how much I love you. I’ll carry your memories with me, haelmoni. You’ll always be a part of me that I’ll never; never ever let it slip from my mind.”

I leaned closer and kissed her photo.

“I love you, Haelmoni. Till we meet again.”

I bowed dutifully before I kissed her photo once again. Then I smiled widely. I said some prayers before I made way back to where Moonbyul unnie was. She was sitting on the bench; listening to her phone. Her eyes were closed; I could see she was enjoying the quiet moments.

I approached her cautiously and put my arms around her. She glanced over her shoulders and showed me her brightest smile. I was thankful for her gesture; her heart and her love. She might be such a grease and probably a closeted ert but I’m still grateful for her presence in my life.

“Did you say hi to haelmoni?”

“Yeah, I complained about you too.”

“Hey, I brought you here!”

I stuck my tongue out before hugging her tightly. If I could express all my feelings into that one hug, I probably could. But she understood.

“It’s okay, Wheein. Today’s your birthday. Let’s make you happy today, okay?”

“Thank you, Unnie.”

-

“You’re late!”

“Hyejin ah, it’s only 2 minutes!”

“Yes, and I have lost 2 precious minutes with Wheein.”

I stared at these two idiots. We were late because of the massive traffic jam due to an accident on the highway. But Moonbyul unnie was driving at a crazy speed that I had to remind her that today’s my birthday and I still wanted to live longer.

“Okay, I’m dropping you off here. I’ll see you tomorrow, Wheein ah.”

“Thanks, Moonbyul unnie. Thank you so much.”

Moonbyul unnie kissed my forehead and drove off. My best friend was dragging me aside the moment unnie’s car was out of view. She ushered me into her apartment immediately.

“Okay, it’s my turn now!”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Why?”

“You have a mischievous and sneaky smile”

“I have always had this smile on my face. I was born with it.”

She smirked at me and I got worried for a second. Hyejin could get a little wild sometimes. She had fair share of crazy moments when we were in school; and I got involved because she was dragging me around with her.

“Are there strippers in your room or something?”

“Strippers are for hen party, not birthday party.”

“Well, you are nuts sometimes.”

“I should have gone to do that. Why didn’t I turn of that?”

“Okay, move on. It’s too late.”

Hyejin nevertheless pulled me all the way to the kitchen. I saw some ingredients on the table, and I turned to look at her; mouth wide open.

“Are we baking something!?”

I asked out of excitement. I have always wanted to learn how to bake but never had the time to do so. And Hyejin was supposed to go with me but she was too busy too.

“Yes! And today’s the right time to do it because we will bake you a birthday cake!”

“My choice of cake?!”

“Yes, your choice of cake. What’s wrong with cream cake?!”

“It’s unhealthy.”

“Since when you’re healthy conscious?”

“I’m on diet and my ankle is still healing.”

“Fine, screw the doctor for calling you fat.”

“Shut up.”

Hyejin was going to bake me a sponge cake. A rainbow sponge cake and it was her first time baking a birthday cake for her best friend. Hyejin knows how to cook but rarely bake. She went to learn how to bake a sponge cake secretly; just for me. I was moved.

“Aww, you’re so sweet.”

“I have always been, Jung Wheein. You just don’t realize it.”

“By snogging me when I’m sleeping is not sweet.”

“Hey, where can you find a best friend who treats you like her lover?”

“That’s weird, actually.”

“How could you?!”

Well, Hyejin is a touchy kind of friend. She hugs you possessively; kisses you anyhow and anytime according to her mood and she loves sleeping with you; snogging you and making sure you couldn’t move and get trap under her. I was her victim most of the time since we spent most the time together.

But Hyejin is Hyejin. She’s sweet; soft and tender. She may look like the world owes her, but she has the softest and generous heart. People often said mean things about her, but I know her better.

My best friend loves her family. She cares about them a lot and often buy gifts or treats them out for dinner whenever she could. Her life is her family and her loved ones. She’s loyal to her friend and she is full of charms which she expresses to the people whom she cares the most.

And one thing about Hyejin; she was often on my side. She would ward off my idiotic ex-boyfriends away; she would fight for me; and she would stay by my side even if things were at their worst. When haelmoni passed away; Hyejin stood by my side.

She sat next to me; she prayed with me; she bowed at the guest; cried with me and slept next to me; holding me closely to her heart. I mean, I don’t really care how people would look at our relationship. You could never get someone like her – to be the one you need whenever the world turns their back on you.

Not my Hyejin. My best friend, Anh Hyejin. She would die for me. And I, I would too. You would never live if I ever found out you hurt her. Trust me.

I watched her moved around her kitchen; she had some flour on her cheeks and her eyes were concentrating on the cooking book on the bar table. We were supposed to do this together, but I know Hyejin. She would prefer to do it on her own.

“Do you still need me?”

“Your presence is good enough.”

“Stop being so mushy. I still cannot handle it.”

“Deal with it. I’ll be this mushy; this greasy; this clingy even when we grow old together.”

“I can imagine it now.”

“You know I love you, right?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good, now get off the kitchen and stay in the living room. I have prepared some snacks and beer for you to chill.”

“You’re the best!”

“Oh, you might want to check your present in my room.”

“You really got me a stripper?!”

“If I want a stripper, I get him for myself. Why should I share it with you?”

“Gee, thanks. So, what’s my gift?”

“Go to my room and see it for yourself. I’m busy now. Go get it yourself.”

I made my way to her room; with a light heart. I even hummed happily as I skipped down the hall to her cozy room. Hyejin’s room is in red. Don’t ask me why. She said it’s y.

I gently turned the knob and pushed the door in. Out of nowhere, a fat furry cutie pie just ran across the room.

“GGOMO! OH MY GOD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! ANH HYEJIN! WHEN DID GGOMO COME HERE?!”

I picked up my son. Yes, he’s my son. Deal with it. And I was in love again. He nuzzled his nose into my arms; he became a gentle baby today.

“HYEJIN AH!”

“Yes, you found your gift?”

“Ggomo is my gift?!”

“Spending time with Ggomo is my gift. You left the poor boy at Jeonju and he’s missing you. Look at him.”

I cuddled Ggomo in my arms; and to my surprise; he kissed me on my cheeks. Well, not literally a kiss but his nose dipped on my cheek.

I miss him. I do. But because of my busy and hectic schedule; I couldn’t look after him the way I used to. And I didn’t want to leave him at home alone, so I asked my mother to bring him home with her instead. He wasn’t happy when I said goodbye the last time.

And I thought he would forget about me or worse, hated me for abandoning him. But no, he became a gentle cat; he wasn’t running away from me like an annoying but instead; he settled down on my lap; grazing his fur on my skin.

Gosh, this is the best gift so far.

“Ggomo ah, I miss you so much. I’m sorry I had to leave you with your grandmother. When things get better here, I’ll take you home. I promise.”

“Ggomo will stay for the weekend and your mother will come by and take him home. Or do you want to bring him back?”

“Maybe later. I’ll pick him up in 2 months’ time. But this is the perfect gift, Hyejin ah!”

Hyejin smiled before turning back to her baking session. Ggomo was fast asleep on my lap. He had never done that before! I caressed his fur gently; and he was purring. God, this is love. This is totally love.

I turned my attention to Hyejin. She must have travelled back to Jeonju with Moonbyul unnie to pick Ggomo up. This was not what I had in mind for my birthday, but this was better than I had planned. What could I have done without them?

Half an hour later, Hyejin pulled out the most beautiful rainbow sponge cake I had ever seen in my life. Well, almost. It was kinda distorted. The two of us just stared at the cake.

“What I learnt in school didn’t turn out the way I wanted to.”

“Is the cake supposed to be this distorted?”

“It’s just a little handicapped.”

“Hyejin ah, it looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.”

“Shut up, just dig in. Grab your fork. I’m going in with this spatula.”

Eating was comfort for Hyejin. She could eat anything she likes; gain weight like crazy but she couldn’t care much. She could lose all the weight easily unlike me. Surprisingly, it tasted good. She had forgotten the candle; so, she grabbed a lighter and placed it in front of my face.

“What?”

“Make a wish and blow.”

“Doesn’t sound right at all.”

“Stop having dirty thoughts. I have forgotten your candle. Deal with this.”

Nevertheless, I did make a wish and blew the fire out of the lighter. It didn’t matter at all to me. Just as long as I have Hyejin with me.

“Happy Birthday, Puppy! What did you wish for?”

I smiled; before pulling Hyejin’s arm towards me. She shifted her whole body until she settles down on my lap. I put my arms around her; staring up at her and then smiled widely.  

“I wish we will always be best friends and I love you so much.”

“Silly pup. You’re not going anywhere without me. You’re practically mine, remember that.”

I nodded; tears b in my eyes. We have been friends since high school and now we are in our mid-twenties. Things happened and we shared almost a decade of our lifetime together.  And I never could replace Hyejin.

“Thank you for staying by my side, Hyejin ah.”

“Don’t worry, Wheein ah. I’ll always be by your side.”

-

Evening came and I was on my way back to my apartment. Yongsun unnie texted me earlier on. She asked me to wait at home. Honestly, among the 3 of them, I was not close enough with the oldest kid in the group.

She always has this aura in her; sometimes she could get stern and firm but most of the times; she was dorky; silly and loud. My ear drums burst a couple of times because of her.  We were 5 years apart; and Moonbyul unnie was an idiot and Hyejin was my best friend from high school. So, the two of them clicked well with me and we belong to the same club – losers club.

But Yongsun unnie was from a different calibre. I have always admired her; and there was one thing that the 3 of us could never win her – her dedication and hard work. Yongsun unnie worked hard for everything she had now. Her past was filled with tears and disappointment, but she just kept it together and grind her teeth as she ploughed through all the obstacles in her life.

I could never do that. I could never be brave as her. And I could never stay mad at her; in fact, I was a little terrified of her in the past. But all that had changed into admiration. I admire Yongsun unnie for who she is, and I appreciate her.

But now I felt a little awkward. I hardly spend time alone with Yongsun unnie. It would always be with Moonbyul or Hyejin or all the four of us together but never the two of us alone. Hyejin told me not to worry and just be myself.

Oh, Hyejin ate the cake all by herself and then she left ¼ of it to smash it into my face. Now my face stinks like a cake and oily all over. Urgh!

I managed to reach home in one piece, and I ran straight for the bathroom. I had some time left to wash up before Yongsun unnie arrives.  It was not long after; Yongsun unnie came with plastics of food in her hands. She smiled widely before revealing the food she bought. Again, most of them were my favourite.

These people were pampering me too much. We settle down in my living room; Yongsun unnie was bubbly as usual and she had this sparkle in her eyes. She was always animated, and I love her for her loudness and flamboyance.

“I got something for you.”

Yongsun unnie pulled out a huge envelope from her bag. She placed it on the table, and I picked it up. I looked at her; she had this smile on her face.

“What is this?”

“I couldn’t find a perfect gift for you. So, I hope this is good enough.”

I looked inside and I saw a couple of things – a certificate and a gift box. I pulled out the certificate and was surprised to see the content.

A certificate issued by NASA; officially named a star in space after me. She must have paid a fortune for this.

“This is to congratulate Jung Wheein for having a star named after her. The star is now officially known as Wheein – The Star of My Life.”

I read the wordings on the certificate in disbelief. I stared at her.

“Today is your birthday. I have never gotten you a gift; a proper gift. So, I thought this would be the best gift. Our Wheein is the star of our lives. Because you have always been shining so brightly.”

I was tearing up for sure. I didn’t expect this from Yongsun unnie. This was just too much for me to handle. I reached out for her arms and cried like a baby.

“Unnie, I have never done anything great for you. But you have always been gifting me priceless gifts that I have never imagine. How much love do you have for us, for me? And we have never done anything but to disturb the hell out of you.”

Yongsun unnie giggled softly before wiping the tears off from my eyes. She shook her head and then hugged me tightly.

“I don’t have younger sisters until I met you, Moonbyul and Hyejin. I’m not the best but I wanted to give you the best of everything.”

“Unnie, you have given the best for us. And I don’t want anyone else to be our Unnie except for you. You have no idea how much you mean to me, Unnie.”

We both cried openly. She also gave me an expensive watch with my name engraved on it. It was the watch I have been eyeing for the last 3 months. And she got it for me.

I cried like a baby; I couldn’t stop. My Yongsun unnie is the perfect gift. And yet, she was unaware of it.

“Happy Birthday, Wheein ah. Thank you for growing up beautifully; wonderfully and letting me be your older sister even though we’re not related. Let’s stay together like this for the longest time.”

I nodded like a baby. God, I’d love that. I want this Kim Yongsun to stay in my life for the longest time. Nobody could replace this Unnie.

“Unnie, I promise you.  We will grow old together; the four of us. We will see through all the marriages; all the children we would have and the grumpy old selves that we might just kill each other over small things. And I will be blessed if I could witness you fighting Moonbyul unnie over cereals at the age of 80.”

“Shut up. You don’t have to go that far.”

“But that’s how I feel. I want us to be together like this; forever.”

She smiled. And then she hugged me tightly. I embraced her; that wonderful Unnie I have met and extremely grateful for her presence in my life.

And in fact, my birthday wish – my truly birthday wish for this year.

I want to be with these sisters of mine for the longest time; for a lifetime.

-

“Unnie! What did you make Wheein cry?!”

“What? She was just moved to tears.”

“Wow, Yongsun unnie outdid us. Wheein cried like a baby.”

“I won!”

“That’s unfair! You spent so much money on Wheein’s gift!”

“I will get one for you too.”

“YAY!”

“Hyejin is such a baby!”

“Shut up, Moonstar!”

I looked on with a silly smile on my face. They came together before the of midnight. They wanted to wish me Happy Birthday once again before the day ends.

“Did you enjoy your day today, Wheein ah?”

I smiled and then nodded.

“Today is the best birthday of my lifetime. I get more than just love; more than just friendship. I get 3 sisters for a lifetime.”

My true sentiments. I swear.

-