epilogue.

can’t help falling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7 years later, 2028

Jennie’s POV

Today marks 3 years since we decided to go on a hiatus to pursue our individual interests. Although #ComeBackBlackpink was trending on Twitter for a couple of weeks and we lost some fans in the process, I can say honestly say that it truly has been a necessary break for us girls and it seems that all of us are now pursuing dreams that we never thought would come to fruition during our trainee years.

Since then, Jisoo unnie has decided to 

focus on her acting career, which took off after  

her acting gained recognition in Snowdrop. She is now one of the most successful idol-turned-actresses and has CFs, movies and dramas lined up for the rest of her life. 

Lisa has focused on the thing that has always been her passion since day 1: dance. She has opened her own dance studio where she not only choreographs dances for idol groups, but also runs a whole company that offers dance classes and uploads dance videos. She also regularly showcases her photography work in different exhibits and shows and is working towards opening her own photography studio.

Chaeyoung has stuck to what she knows best: music. After her solo debut, she finally gained the recognition in Korea that she deserved and has went in to be one of the most popular female solo artists in Korea and in the world. After years of trial and error, she now writes and produces her own music completely on her own.  As she just finished her schedules for another big comeback, she is starting to renew her passion for art and her apartment now is cluttered with half-finished paintings. 

As for me, I still pursue music as a solo artist and did a couple of seasons of different variety shows, but the pursuit I am focusing more on right now my clothing brand. Ever since NIEEEH was revealed to be my brand, the line has taken off. Now I am the co-creator and CEO to a designer brand. We are in the works of launching a makeup line in collaboration with Chanel as well, which is another thing I have always dreamed of doing.

As for Blackpink as a group, we still hold high standing in the global music industry as even in our individual endeavors, we continue to introduce ourselves as the members of Blackpink. We are also on the advisory board for YGE, which is huge considering we now make decisions regarding the treatment of our signees and the legitimacy of our company by doing our best to make it a healthy conglomerate devoid of scandals and problematic actions.

And as for where I stand with Chaeyoung, well it all changed last night. Last night was the night that I finally proposed to Chaeyoung.

I had been wanting to get married for quite some time now—actually, ever since Korea made the announcement that it was legalizing gay marriage—but Chaeyoungie had been hesitant. Although Korea had made a lot of strides in regards to its views on homouality, it’s still pretty uncommon to see an openly gay couple in the public space. And especially because we are celebrities and even heteroual marriage announcements are still career-damaging in the industry, it makes it even more daunting. 

But after two long years of contemplating and long conversations, she finally agreed to marriage. She agreed two nights ago. So of course I had to propose last night.

I’ve had the ring ever since the announcement of legalization was made two years ago and I had been planning this day ever since then as well. 

Well, me and the rest of the girls that was (they would be mad if I didn’t give them credit where credit is due). Jisoo unnie and Lisa had been contributing just as much to my proposal as I have for the past two years. They were always encouraging Chaeyoung to see past her fears and agree to marriage. They were always giving me advice about what I should do for the proposal. Lisa even went with me to pick out our engagement rings!

So yesterday, while me and Jisoo unnie set up for the proposal, Lisa took Chaeyoung out for lunch and shopping. We spent four hours decorating, hanging fairy lights, covering the ground with different bouquets of flowers, setting up a little picnic with champagne and all Chaeyoung’s favorite snacks. It was frantic trying to get everything together, and I had little time to think about anything else other than which bouquet should go where. 

 But as I waited for the love of my life in front of the apartment building where it all began, I found myself super nervous, finally realizing what was about to happen. I watched as Lisa pulls up her black Rolls Royce to the front of the building, Chaeyoung looking around in confusion. And when we made eye contact, she got even more confused. 

She jumped out of the car and greeted me with a hug and two questions: “What are you doing here? What am I doing here?”

Lisa walked up next to us and sighs, “Wow, this takes me back.” She looked up at the tall apartment building in front of us. 

“How long has it been since we moved out?” Lisa questioned.

“Like nine, ten years,” I responded quietly, also lost in the memories of when we used to call this place home.

“Why are we back here though?” Chaeyoung repeated, “No one has responded to my question yet.”

“You’ll see, cmon,” I smiled reassuringly as I grab Chaeyoung’s hand and pull her towards our old dorm. 

Lisa followed behind, pulling a camera from her purse.

When we got into the elevator, I pressed the button that takes us to the highest floor quickly, trying to hide the fact that my hands were shaking from pure nerves.

“Wait but our dorm was on the 17th floor not the 20th,” Chaeyoung said sassily, like she always does when she’s correcting me. 

I just smiled, too nervous to come up with excuses, my mind replaying what I was going to say over and over again. 

The elevator ride seemed to never end... I felt like I was sweating more than when we performed at Coachella in 2019, I could tell Chaeyoung was growing more suspicious by the second, and Lisa frantically texting Jisoo in the corner wasn’t helping. 

I rehearsed this very moment over and over in my head thousands of times, down to the pause in my proposal where I hand Chaeyoung a tissue to wipe her tears, but now that it was actually happening, I didn’t know what to expect. So when I heard the elevator “ding”, I was suddenly transported back to Coachella 2019 on that hot summer night where a worried, breathless Chaeyoung mouthed to me, “Don’t forget to breathe” as I walked back into formation. And thus, I took a last deep breath as the elevator doors opened to the most important performance of my life... 

—————

Third Person POV

Once Chaeyoung realized they were heading towards to the rooftop, she had an idea of what was happening. But she had no idea how much went into setting this up. I mean, it’s pretty hard to expect too much when you just agreed to think about marriage just two nights before. So when Jennie opened the door to the rooftop to a fairy garden wonderland, basically exactly what Chaeyoung imagined her happy place to look like, she was stunned... absolutely stunned. She didn’t even notice Jisoo standing in the corner, giggling with glee, or even Lisa right next to her, pointing a video camera at her “bad side”. All she could see was the hundreds of colorful bouquets covering the floor, making it look like a flower field and the path of rose petals leading up to a fairy-lit picnic under the stars. And all she could think about was Jennie, who was now pulling her towards the picnic blanket. 

But they didn’t stop at the picnic blanket, instead they walked right across it and to a different spot, a familiar spot. The spot they would sit every time they would come up to the rooftop together. The perfect spot that was not too close to the ledge where you can’t see over the railings, and not too far that you can’t see the people walking the streets below. And sitting right on that spot was a small ukulele.

Jennie picked it up and turned to Chaeyoung, who was already tearing up. 

“Hi,” Jennie whispered.

“Hi,” Chaeyoung gushed.

“I prepared a little something for you.” 

“Go ahead” Chaeyoung whispered in encouragement, knowing Jennie was nervous.

And Jennie proceeded to play the chords of a certain song on the ukulele...

and Chaeyoung, recognizing the song almost immediately, burst out in happy giggles and tears.

 

Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you?

Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you

For I can't help falling in love with you

 

And as she sang that last part, Jennie looked up from the ukulele and looked deeply into Chaeyoung’s teary eyes with the most sincerity she could muster up.

She put down the ukulele and grabbed both of Chaeyoung’s hands.

“Ever since you’ve sang that song for me oh so many years ago, I’ve never stopped hearing it. It’s tune, it’s melody, it’s lyrics, it was always replaying in my head just as y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter