Final

Glow Up
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Excuse me.” I heard someone call out from behind me. “Yeena?”

I turn around towards the voice and my heart almost stops. It was Kim Doyoung from my math class. He was dressed in khaki pants and a white button up blouse per his usual. His hair neat, glasses pushed up his nose, his goofy grin was nervously twitching.

“Yes Doyoung?” I smile softly towards him. He was literally the cutest boy I’ve ever seen. I may have harbored a small crush on him since the beginning of freshman year and still not have gotten over it by first semester of senior year.

I would never act on it for truthfully the two of us didn’t talk. He was super smart and kept to himself. He had his one friend Lee Taeyong and that was it, he didn’t really talk to anyone else. Whereas I was friends with Johnny Seo, Nakamoto Yuta, and Park Sooyoung, we weren’t exactly straight A students. Most of our attention when towards our fashion club.

Overall the two of us weren’t compatible. Someone who makes that good of grades would never want to be with someone like me. Someone who is barely making it through school.

So that brings me to my main question, why was Doyoung suddenly talking to me?

He awkwardly scratches at the back of his neck. “I was wondering-,” He pauses. “You know since you are in the fashion club and all, if you do make overs?”

“Make overs?” I squint towards him.

He laughs awkwardly. “Yeah, like could you make a person look more desirable?”

I raise an eyebrow confused why he would be interested in this. “You mean like change your look?”

He quickly nods. “Yeah, do you think you could make me look less like a nerd?”

My heart sinks, he thinks he looks like a nerd? I glance over his appearance again, I mean he wasn’t the best dressed but that was his signature look. That was him.

“Why?” I raise my eyes back up to his.

He sheepishly smiles. “Uh, well you see I really like this girl, but she’s never noticed me before. So I want to change up my look to get her attention.”

If my heart could sink any lower it did. He liked someone? More importantly though, he liked her enough to change who he was?

I swallow the lump in my throat. “You shouldn’t change who you are just to get someone to like you? Have you tried just talking to her?”

He laughs lightly. “Talking to girls isn’t exactly my forte.”

I squint towards him. “You seem to being doing just fine talking to me?”

He huffs. “I meant like romantically. I can obviously talk to you if it’s about simple stuff.”

I snort amused at his sassiness. “I’ll think about it.”

His eyes light up. “You will?”

I nod my head. “Mm.”

-

“No way he really asked that?” Yuta laughs, sitting down the fabric rolls he had brought in from the storage room.

“Yeah.” I sigh sitting back onto one of the many cluttered tables in our club room.

“You’re so unlucky, dude.” Johnny remarks from his desk.

“Very.” Joy remarks a sad smile on her face. She knew how long I’ve liked him.

“Should I agree to it?” I cross my arms over my chest.

“Why would you agree to basically hooking your crush up with someone else?” Joy shakes her head.

Yuta scoffs. “I think you should, it would make him happy. Isn’t that what you want when you like someone? For them to be happy?”

Johnny hums. “That is true.”

I sigh lowering my head. Yuta was right, it would be better to see Doyoung with his gummy smile than not.

I glance over at Johnny. “Johnny will you make him over if I tell him yes? I don’t think I can.”

Johnny glances up from his work with a sad smile. “Yeah I can. It would probably be best.”

I offer him a small smile. “Thanks.”

-

“I cannot believe you’re agreeing to this, Yeena.” Joy sighs standing next to me at my locker the next day. It was the passing period before second period and she had cornered me to try and talk me out of it.

“Joy, even if I didn’t agree to it doesn’t mean he won’t change himself. At least I know Johnny will treat him well if he helps him change.” I turn from my opened locker to look at her.

She shakes her head. “Will you be okay with this?”

“I have to be.” I reply shutting my locker.

It hurt to see him change himself all to just get the attention of a girl. He already had mine the way he was.

“He’s coming this way.” Joy murmurs glancing over my shoulder.

I turn to face him and he comes to a stop in front of me. A different pair of khakis and a short sleeve white button up shirt was what he wore today, I was going to miss this.

“I can’t watch this.” Joy shakes her head leaving my side.

“Did you decide?” He hums watching as Joy excuses herself.

I nod. “Yeah. Johnny says he’ll help you.”

He squints. “Why can’t you?”

I quickly think of an excuse. “I’m behind on homework for a bunch of classes so I unfortunately can’t be the one to help you out.”

He slowly nods. “Alright, thanks.”

I bow slightly towards him and move around him to go to class.

“Oh and Yeena.” He calls out after me. I stop glancing over my shoulder waiting for him to continue. “If you ever need help with homework I can help you.”

-

I avoid the club room for two days after that. Joy informed me that he came to meet with Johnny and they started his make over. I didn’t want to see it.

I knew I was bound to see him eventually but I didn’t want to see the process of how he changed. I just didn’t.

I felt a tap on my shoulder after digging through my locker. I glance over my shoulder and my heart almost stops.

There he was. His hair

Please log in to read the full chapter