Crazy

Crazy

 It was raining, pouring actually. It was also 3am but it's not like Joohyun had ever cared about those kinds of details. She had an umbrella and her house was near, so the girl didn't worry. Why was Joohyun out so late at night? Even she didn't really know. She had just felt a sudden need to take a walk and reflect on whatever thoughts were on her mind, so she did just that.

 The girl had been walking for a while already and as she rounded a corner, Joohyun was met with an unexpected sight. A girl skipped around the street, completely drenched as she didn't have an umbrella, while flailing her arms around. It was as if she was attempting to mimic some sort of dance and was failing terribly at it. The expression on her face was... strange, to say the least. She had her eyes closed and was smiling, but Joohyun felt as if some sort of pain lingered there.

 The girl was either out of her mind or filming something. At least, those were the answers Joohyun could come up with to her questions.

 "Hey," Joohyun called out and watched as the girl stopped and slowly turned to her. "Are you crazy or something?"

 The girl seemed taken aback, she was probably not expecting to be asked that from a stranger, much less at 3am, outside, while rain poured.

 "Heh... crazy?" the girl whispered, a small smile on her face. "I don't think so. Not yet, at least."

 "Yet, huh?"

 The girl didn't say anything, her only reaction was of a chuckle escaping her lips.

 "Then why is a, supposedly not crazy, girl running around the streets in the middle of the night, while it rains?" Joohyun questioned, eyeing the girl curiously. "Filming something? Or are you simply trying to attract attention?"

 "Another question is why you're talking so casually to a stranger, asking some maybe personal questions," the girl retorted.

 "You got me there. I don't know the reason to that either," Joohyun answered, leaning against the wall of a building. "But I still wonder."

 The girl kept quiet, only to turn around and start walking away. Joohyun was about to protest, but she then noticed the girl had simply walked to lean against the wall of the building in front of the one Joohyun leaned against. The street was quite narrow, so they weren't too far away, and could still hear each other fine.

 "Seungwan," the girl said, eyes looking down. "That's my name."

 "I didn't ask your name."

 "Well, you should've! Do you expect to get answers from someone you don't even know the name of?"

 "It depends on the situation," Joohyun replied, shrugging. "If I'm asking for directions, then yes."

 "That's... not the kind of questions I meant..." Seungwan said and sighed, ruffling her own hair. "You're kind of rude, aren't you?"

 "Not really."

 "Well, it sure seems like it!"

 "Hey, it's 3am, give me a break. Who the heck is nice when they're sleepy?"

 "A sleepy person shouldn't be out so late, anyway..." Seungwan whispered.

 What followed that was silence. Complete and utter silence. It was quite awkward too, they were strangers yet they were speaking so casually, after all. Joohyun observed the rain and Seungwan kicked small rocks, both pondering over what to do next.

 "I'm Joohyun." Joohyun turned to look directly at Seungwan's eyes.

 "Cool," Seungwan said and went back to kicking rocks, allowing the awkward atmosphere to continue on.

 "Hey!" Joohyun exclaimed and went to stand next to Seungwan on the other side of the street. "We know each other's names now, can't you answer my questions?"

 Seungwan sighed.

 "Tch... why do you want to know so much? Is your life that uninteresting? Do you need to rely on others' lives?" the girl questioned in a mocking manner.

 "And I'm the rude one...?" Joohyun whispered with a scowl on her face, kicking a rock as far as she could, just as Seungwan had been doing. It went quite far. "Just tell me, please. I won't be able to sleep tonight if you don't."

 Seungwan frowned, it seemed as though she really didn't want to talk about anything. Looking up at the sky, the girl still began speaking.

 "Today has been... the worst day of my life. And I'm not exaggerating," the girl started off. "I had a job interview, and it went miserably. I was so nervous I could only stutter out a few words, and those were probably not worth anything. Then my mother found out that I didn't try out for the job she wanted me to and also that I stopped going to university quite a long time ago, so she kicked me out, so I have to move in with my aunt for now."

 "Oh..." Joohyun whispered, clearly not prepared for such a story.

 "Not only that, but my best friend got into a freaking car crash and is at the hospital now. Just my luck, huh? The person I love the most had this happen to her, and I was just sulking."

 "Love?"

 "Platonically, of course. Doesn't change the fact that she's so important to me."

 "I, uh, I don't really know what to say to all of this."

 "It's fine," Seungwan said and left the spot next to Joohyun, walking around without a clear direction. It seemed she just wanted a distraction. "Sooyoung... I hope she gets better."

 Joohyun didn't know why, but she wanted to do something, anything, for Seungwan. They weren't friends, they had literally just met, and yet Joohyun felt so strongly about that. She thought it was strange, but she decided to leave the wondering for some other time.

 The girl rushed to stand at Seungwan's side and cover her with the umbrella. Seungwan looked at her as if she was doing the strangest thing she had ever seen, and then looked away, slipping her hands inside her pockets.

 "Hey..." Joohyun began saying. "Do you want to come over to my house?"

 "What?!" Seungwan exclaimed, eyes wide with bewilderment. "W-What the heck?"

 "You can sleep over too if you want," Joohyun added nonchalantly.

 "We just met! And you're already inviting me to your house?! Aren't you a bit too careless? If you asked someone dangerous, who knows what would happen to you..."

 "So you're saying you're not dangerous?"

 "That's not the point! Inviting a stranger, it's just... just...!"

 "Relax. If the person I invited happened to be dangerous, I'd be fine. I have ways of defending myself," Joohyun reassured Seungwan. "So, are you coming or not?"

 "Ugh, fine! But only because I don't like rejecting people..."

 Joohyun simply nodded and started walking towards her house, often making sure Seungwan was still under the umbrella, which she wasn't many times. Seungwan said she liked being under the rain, but Joohyun refused to let her do that.

 Once they arrived, Joohyun closed the umbrella and took out her keys. She opened the door and they walked the stairs up to the girl's apartment.

 "Give me your jacket," Joohyun said to Seungwan as they entered the house. "Also, you can take a shower. You'll get sick if you keep wearing those clothes. We're both kind of short so it shouldn't be a problem for you to wear some of mine."

 "Uh, okay," Seungwan said and handed the girl her jacket, taking her shoes off afterwards. "Where's the bathroom?"

 Without looking, Joohyun pointed her finger at the end of the hallway and headed to what looked like a kitchen to Seungwan.

 "Alright, then," Seungwan whispered and walked towards the bathroom to take a shower.

 Meanwhile, Joohyun had the idea to make some soup to warm both of them up, and so that was exactly what she began doing. While she was cutting the vegetables, she suddenly remembered that she had forgotten to get some clothes for Seungwan to wear after showering, so she went inside her bedroom, got a hoodie and some leggings from her wardrobe and headed to the bathroom.

 "Seungwan," she called, knocking on the door. "I brought some of my clothes for you to wear."

 The door opened to reveal Seungwan with only a towel around her, water dripping from her hair and face.

 "Thanks," she said with a small smile.

 "R-Right, no problem," Joohyun stuttered out, her face heating up due to the fact that she hadn't expected to see the other girl like that, even though she wouldn't have been wearing any clothes anyway, since she didn't have any dry ones. Joohyun cursed herself for not even thinking about that.

 "Uh, can you give me the clothes now? It's really cold..."

 "Yeah, yeah, of course..." Joohyun said and handed the clothes to Seungwan, who gave her a small nod and closed the door afterwards.

 After calming herself down from whatever it was that she had just felt, Joohyun went back to the kitchen to finish making the soup. Once it was done, she poured it in two small bowls and placed them on the only table she had, which was in the kitchen, also taking two spoons with her.

 A few minutes passed and Seungwan entered the kitchen, now wearing the clothes Joohyun had let her borrow. She was surprised by the smell of the soup, and her eyes lit up. She was probably hungry.

 "You made soup?" the girl asked Joohyun, who was already sitting at the table, waiting for her to arrive. "Thank you so much."

 "You're welcome," Joohyun said and motioned for Seungwan to sit. "I hope you enjoy it."

 "You really are too kind... Letting a stranger stay the night at your house, letting them use some of your clothes, making soup..." Seungwan said and sat down, amazed at the fact that such a nice person existed. "You're probably the kindest and most stupid person I've ever met."

 Joohyun decided to ignore the fact that the other girl had called her stupid, but she was really taken aback by the compliment. She didn't think she was being kind, she didn't know why but she just felt like she needed to take care of Seungwan like that. Why had she even asked a stranger to sleep at her house? She knew it was plainly stupid, so why? Perhaps it was due to the fact that Seungwan had said that that had been the worst day of her life. It was hard for Joohyun to not want to help people like that.

 "It's nothing..." Joohyun said, blushing.

 "It's the opposite of nothing! You've done so much for me in such a short amount of time," Seungwan replied, staring directly into Joohyun's eyes. "Thank you. So much."

 "You're welcome," Joohyun said as calmly as she could while looking down at her soup to prevent Seungwan from noticing her red cheeks.

 "Are... Are you blushing?" Seungwan asked with a smile.

 Caught off guard by Seungwan's bluntness, Joohyun started coughing so hard she probably could've choked. Worried, Seungwan hit her back lightly.

 "A-Are you okay?" Seungwan asked, her eyes filled with concern.

 "I-I-I'm fine," Joohyun stuttered out, trembling a little from the shock of both Seungwan's words and her own coughing fit.

 "Don't worry, blushing is a normal human reaction," Seungwan said and smirked. "Especially when the cause is someone like me."

 "You seem to... have high self-esteem."

 "Honestly, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It changes a lot," Seungwan replied. "Does that happen to you too? Y'know, being confident one minute and having really low self-esteem the next?"

 "I guess so..."

 After Joohyun calmed down and Seungwan let her change the subject to something else, the two girls ate their soup while chatting happily and getting to know each other. They talked about Joohyun's university life, what kind of job Seungwan was looking for and just themselves, their hobbies, favourite places, pets, and much more. They were genuinely enjoying each other's company.

 When midnight came around, Joohyun and Seungwan prepared to go to sleep. After a a while of arguing about who would sleep where, Seungwan ended up convincing Joohyun to just let her sleep on the sofa and for the one who actually lived there to sleep on her bed.

 "I feel like it's kind of rude to have a guest sleep on the sofa, though..." Joohyun said.

 "Seriously, don't worry about it," Seungwan reassured the worried girl. "I'm perfectly fine with sleeping on the sofa, it's not uncomfortable at all. I promise."

 "Okay, okay, if you say so."

 With that matter out of the way, Joohyun decided to look for some blankets and a comfortable pillow for Seungwan to use to sleep. She found those things inside a wardrobe and took them to the living room, where Seungwan waited.

 "Thank you," Seungwan said after Joohyun quickly arranged everything.

 Joohyun simply smiled and started leaving the living room, stopping at the entrance.

 "Good night, Joohyun," Seungwan said.

 "Good night, Seungwan." The girl turned the lights off and headed to her bedroom, where she quickly fell asleep.

 When morning came, Joohyun woke up to the sound of a door closing. More precisely, it seemed like the apartment's door. Her eyelids fluttered open slowly and she sat up, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

 Once she actually processed the noise that she had woken up to, the girl quickly shot up from the bed and went inside the living room. She was hoping it wouldn't be the case but, as she expected, Seungwan was not there anymore. She had left the apartment already.

 With hopes of seeing the girl before she left for good, Joohyun ran to the nearest window and quickly opened it. She could see Seungwan walking away.

 "Seungwan!" she called out. "Why were you going to leave without saying anything?"

 "I didn't want to wake you up," Seungwan said with a chuckle as she turned towards the window. "Well, since you're awake now, I'll say it: I'm leaving."

 Joohyun really didn't want Seungwan to leave, but she knew she had to. She didn't know why, but she felt this connection to Seungwan already, even though they had only met the day before. It was strange, but she couldn't ignore her wish to keep seeing the girl.

 "Will I be able to see you again?" Joohyun asked, hoping that she would.

 "Maybe... if the fates allow." And with that, Seungwan turned her back towards Joohyun once again and left the area.

 With a sigh, Joohyun closed the window and walked away from it. She thought maybe they would never meet again, and that thought just made her sad.

 Discouraged, the girl decided to simply go eat breakfast instead of thinking about those things. She entered the kitchen and began to take what she needed out of the cabinets. And that's when she saw a small piece of paper on top of the kitchen table. She looked at it and read what was written on it. It was a phone number. She smiled.

 Maybe they would meet again, after all.