20% : The Start

85%
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My mom is sitting at the sofa when I go home; I am still furious about Baekhyun kicking me out of the house when I did nothing wrong.

“Did you go to Baekhyun’s house?” My mom asks me, and she pats on the spot next to her, signalling me to take a seat beside her. But the problem is that, I am not comfortable enough with my mother to sit next to her, so instead of that spot beside her, I choose to sit at the opposite edge, creating a large gap between both of us.

No matter how long I have lived with my mother, the distance between us never decreased. She is too cold of a person for me to actually approach her; and I am too coward of a person to start the first step of getting to know each other better. If it was Baekhyun, I am sure it won’t be much of trouble for him.

My mother’s face falls a little, but she still puts up a small smile on her face.

“Did something happen between you and Baekhyun? You didn’t look that happy when you came in just now.” She tries again, this time she inches closer to my side.

I crunch up body in uncomfortableness, and shift my eyes away from her face. 

“Kind of. It’s just our usual fights, nothing much. That’s all you want to ask me right? I want to rest.” I stand up from the seat, and go inside the room. 

Baekhyun has scolded and nagged me for my ty behaviour towards my mother, but I just couldn’t love my mother the way I love my father. Baekhyun said I am being too childish to keep holding onto the vengeance that I have towards my mother as a young child. But the wounds didn’t ever go away, the neglect that I felt as a child only grew as hatred towards my mother as I grow older.

I slam the door shut, and fall on my bed. I stare hard at the white ceiling; today is such an eventful day, and kind of ty too.

My phone vibrates, and I reach for it. Baekhyun has sent me a voice message; I frown.

I don’t care how that idiot apologises, I will only forgive him if I feel like it. That is what I have decided on it. 

Baekhyun’s voice sounds a little bit shaky, as if he is hesitant.

“Ur…Woojin, I am sorry. I know it was childish of me to suddenly kick you out of the house but I was angry that you chose Sehun over me. I was…fine, I was jealous! I mean, does it make sense? That guy is more handsome than me?” A huff follows. 

“But hey, I’m sorry. If you are still pissed, want to go for ice-cream after school tomorrow? I will treat you.” Baekhyun stays silent in his voice recording, and then he clears his throat.

“Despite being a ty friend that I am, but I will not forget the promise that I make you so…I am going to sing you a song. Our band has been practising this song for quite awhile. The song name is ‘You & Me’. I like that song.”

Baekhyun begins to strum on the guitar, and I know why Baekhyun likes this song. The song is upbeat, and the lyrics are cute.

“I didn’t mean to hurt you, so why’d I let you walk out of the door?” Baekhyun’s voice is so melodic, that I always relax whenever I heard his voice. Baekhyun’s voice can charm anyone, his voice has the ability of entrancing a stranger. If my father was alive, I’m sure he would have been proud of Baekhyun.

Ever since I moved to Seoul, I only kept contact with my father via mails and we became penpals. We kept sending letters to each other, and every Monday felt so wonderful because my father’s letter would arrive on Monday. Then, as years passed by, the letters became less frequent. I cried a lot, and Baekhyun was always there to catch me whenever I fall. He lent me his shoulders, wiped away my snot for me, sang me songs in his puberty voice. 

Then a month later, and I still remember the month vividly; the memories are still painfully etched in my brain. It was on 14th of February, during Valentines’ Day when my mother finally told me that my father had passed away. I was only fifteen years old then. I spent one month hating on my father for not loving me anymore without really knowing that my father was suffering alone, fighting by himself in a lonely war. He should have told me. Or at least my mother should have told me that my father had a stage four lungs cancer. No one did. The adults had obviously assumed that a child like me didn’t deserve to be burdened with such heavy news.

I had never seen my father while in Seoul, and I loathed my mother so much for it. I didn’t even get to say good-bye to him. I didn’t even get to tell him that I love him, and that I’m sorry for leaving him all alone in Busan.

“As long as I got you and me, moving through this world as a two-man team. I’ll always have everything that I need. You don’t even realise what you mean, no one can fall for you quite like me. No one can get me so perfectly. You don’t even realise, you’re all that I need.”  I really tried to not think about my dad, because whenever I think of him, I am reminded so much that I’m a horrible human being, and a terrible daughter.

Maybe, the lyrics are true. Maybe, I do only need Baekhyun in my team. Baekhyun really does make everything about my life way better than it is.

 

 

 

 

Alarm clock rings, and it’s freaking irritating. Oh gosh, I just hate Mondays. It’s so bloody exhausting.

I trudge out of my room, and walk towards the kitchen—only to find Baekhyun sitting down, and playing his PUBG.  He looks pretty absorbed in his game, and I am guessing that he is way too obsessed with gaming that I am kind of scared that he might be addicted. 

“If you get any closer to your phone screen, you might kiss your screen.” I say sarcastically, and roll my eyes. I go over to the fridge, and take out the bottle of milk. 

“Baek, I need help. I can’t reach the cupboard.” I raise my voice so that Baekhyun can hear me.

“That’s why I told you to put your cereal inside your fridge, didn’t I?” Baekhyun groans. “Argh, I can’t come right now, I almost finishing my game soon, give me five minutes.” 

“Ok, fine. I am getting it on my own. So if I fall from it, I will blame you and you will have to take care of my hospital bills. And I will be telling your mom.” I snigger.

I remember when I was thirteen years old, I tried asking Baekhyun to help me get something from the cupboard but he was playing something on his Nintendo switch so he didn’t help hence I did it on my own, and it ended with me getting five stitches on my hand, and you can still see a tiny scar on my hand if you look closely enough. And Baekhyun got a month suspension from playing his Nintendo switch. 

“Fine, you are such an annoying woman.” Baekhyun groans, and he stomps over to where I am. He easily reaches for the box of cereal on the cupboard.

Being a five feet tall girl, life isn’t that easy. It’s annoying, and that is when a kinda tall best friend comes in handy. Baekhyun is tall, but he is also not that tall if you compared him to Sehun. Maybe, Baekhyun is right. Maybe, Oh Sehun is the giant. And both Baekhyun and I are just midgets. 

“Thank you,” I say as I accept the box of cereal gleefully.

“Since you are talking to me, does that mean that you have forgiven me already?” Baekhyun peeks from his fringe that is already starting to cover his eyes.

I choose to ignore his question, and walk away from him while carrying the bottle of milk and the box of cereal in both of my hands.

“Woojin, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun follows behind me like a lost puppy, and he smiles at me apologetically. 

“Double scoop.” I tell him.

“Double scoop of what?” Baekhyun asks; confused. 

“Double scoop of ice-cream, you idiot.” I hit him on his head out of frustration. 

Despite wanting to yell at me, Baekhyun suppresses his anger with a rigid smile.  “Double scoop.” He nods his head at my command.

“So I will wait for you at your lecture hall, then we will go straight to the ice-cream parlour.” Baekhyun lays out our plan for today.

I frown, “I probably will have to take a stop at Sehun’s cafe, because he did ask me for a review so I should give him my review as fast as possible.” 

Baekhyun’s face falls as soon as I mentioned about Sehun that it is kind of funny; it’s quite comedic to be honest.

“Do you really need to?” Baekhyun asks, squirming in his face. 

“Are you embarrassed to go back there after embarrassing yourself at the cafe?” I sneer at him.

“Why should I be embarrassed? I did nothing wrong.” Baekhyun juts out his lower lip, and glowers at me.

“If anything, he is the one who overreacted to the whole situation. I didn’t even do anything.” Baekhyun defends himse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter