0% : The past

85%
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My first meeting with Byun Baekhyun was a funny one, or maybe, I was the only one who thought that it was funny. I was moving to Seoul from Busan after my parents divorced and my successful mother received a job offer from a big corporate in Seoul. I wanted to live with my dad, but my mom was the one who won the custody because the judge felt that a father, who could barely earn a penny from his job as a musician, wouldn’t be able to take care of his child. This was something I got to know when I grew up. As a child, I barely understood why I needed to move. I didn't want to move. I didn't want to leave my house, my friends and definitely my father. 

He was crying when I went outside of the house, with Miss Bunny in my hand. Miss Bunny was the toy rabbit that my father had sewn it with his own bare hands. Even though Miss Bunny didn't look cute in my friends' eyes, but to me it was the prettiest thing I have ever laid my eyes on because my father made it. My father, whom I knew as the world's strongest person, was crying. I asked him why and he never answered back, but instead he smiled at me and gave me a hug. It was the last hug from my father. If I had known, I would have hugged him tighter and longer. The childish me groaned and told him to let me go because he was suffocating me and he reeked of that horrible cigarettes smell. Now, I miss that smell. 

I was heartbroken, and I remembered crying until my eyes hurt when the car drove away and my mother told me that this would be the last time I would ever see my father. I screamed at her to let me out, and I pounded so hard on the car's window, but my mother kept on driving with her stoic face staring at the street soullessly.  I loved my dad, he was the only one who was there for me when I cried after falling down from my bike. He was the one who would buy me ice-cream after I came back from school. He was the one who would sing me songs so that I would be able to sleep at night. He may be an incapable dad in the eyes of society but he is the best dad in the world for me. 

I still remember to this day that the car ride was awfully silent, and both my mother and I didn’t make any effort to talk with each other. Unlike my father, my mother was a cold person and she was always away from home due to her work and I barely saw her at home. She didn’t have time for me, and all she could provide for me were toys—a lot of toys in fact. My friends used to be jealous of me because I would always have the new limited edition of toys from other countries. But what they didn’t know was that I was more jealous of them. I never felt like I had a mother even at a young age. She felt so foreign to me—like a stranger even though I can see that I resemble her a lot. 

The new house in Seoul was bigger than the one in Busan, and it looked a lot modern. Seoul in general looked so fascinating to the ten year old me back then. I was clutching my Miss Bunny in my hand when my mother told me that we were going to say our greetings to our new neighbours.

Her cold hand wrapped around my tiny hands, and I felt it so strange. I was still recalling my dad’s big warm hand that gave me comfort. I really missed my father back then.

My mother rang the doorbell and when the door was opened, we saw a woman around the same age as my mother holding a spatula in her hand. 

“Hello, we just moved into the apartment next door,” My mother greeted politely and bowed. The other woman’s face bloomed into this beautiful warm smile unlike my mom’s cold robotic smile and she bowed too. “Oh, hello! Welcome to our apartment complex! My name is Byun Hyemi.” Her eyes shifted down to my height, and her smile widened as she waved at me. 

“Hello, you are a very beautiful girl. What’s your name?” 

I blinked, and gave her a small smile. “My name is…Park Woojin. And I am ten year old.” I said as I held up both of my palms. 

“That’s a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” Mrs. Baek said warmly. 

I shook my head, and muttered, “My friends teased me saying that it was a boy’s name.” 

“Then your friends probably don’t know what the definition of beautiful is.” 

And I beamed, temporarily forgetting the pain of leaving my father all alone in Busan.

“I have a son same age as you, and his name is Byun Baekhyun. He is not around for now because he has school. But as soon as he comes home, I will make sure that he will play with you, alright?” 

I nodded my head excitedly, and I felt really happy to have a new friend in a new city.

 

 

I still remembered that I was watching The Powerpuff Girls when the door knocked, and I rushed to the door, and opened it.

The boy was smiling widely too until he noticed me and frowned. “Who are you? Where is Park Woojin?” He asked, and he tiptoed to look around the apartment.

I frowned, and clutched Miss Bunny tightly in my chest.

“I am…Park Woojin.” I siad quietly, and lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter