Chapter 10

Trapped With My Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi looked up at the dimming sky waiting for Jimin to kick her out since it’s already more than five hours now when she had inhabited his body and it’s already going to be night time. She pulled Jimin’s coat tighter as she shivered, feeling the cold air at the rooftop of Jimin’s apartment. She sniffled and wiped Jimin’s runny nose. Great. He’s going to blame me if he get sick. But she needed to be someplace to be calm enough for him to kick her out and this is the best place she could think of, aside from it being Jimin’s place. She doesn’t know if that will work but there’s a big possibility that the reason Jimin had a hard time kicking her out before is because her emotions were sky high and only when she was calmed down to serenity did he managed to.

 

So, yeah. This cold air and dimming sky right here on the rooftop could be a big possibility for Jimin to be able to kick her out.

 

And the possibility of Jimin turning into Hulk on her again is very very big too. She couldn’t decide if she should make a run for it once Jimin kicked her out or play dead. That pun made her smirk. That would be a laugh imagining herself lying on the ground with her eyes closed and her tongue lolling on the side like a dead animal while Jimin seethed over her soul.

 

She inhaled deeply as she stood up from the swing bench and looked over the railings recalling her conversation with Jaebum earlier. It could’ve gone on until evening but an urgent call came for Jaebum for a meeting and he had no choice but to leave. Seulgi assured him she’s going to be fine and shooed him off.

 

It’s good to have her best friend back.  They’ll figure this out soon.

 

Her Uncle should’ve known she’s not like her mother. He should’ve known she’s more like him. And he should’ve known how to be afraid  of  his own reflection.

 

Seulgi made a face at the train of thoughts in her head. Geez. Those lines can come straight out of a lame vengeance-themed movie and she knows it’s just another one of her emotions talking. Me like my uncle? I’m not that evil. In fact, I’m not evil at all. Why her mom couldn’t see her uncle’s true colors is the biggest mystery in her life. Her mother died because she chose to be blind. She sighed heavily.

 

Okay, reminiscing about that is not the best way to be calm.

 

She inhaled and let the air out of slowly. C’mon, Jimin. Not that I’m excited to see Mr. Exploding Anger but I don’t want to stay inside your body. And I only ate ice cream, I haven’t eaten anything in case it turned out you’re allergic to salt or pepper. Though I really wanted to try that salt and pepper chicken that is dipped in che—

 

She didn’t feel a warning twinge or anything but she found herself being pushed out. With difficulty if she have to describe it. As if Jimin’s body is not willing to let her go but some power is struggling to kick her out. The power that is Jimin himself.. 

 

It is something like two pieces of something being glued together and then un-gluing them.

 

Yep. Exactly like that.

 

Her soul finally removed itself from Jimin’s form and she took a few unbalanced steps before steadying herself.

 

She heard a grunt and she whirled around to find Jimin thumping on the floor looking pale and weak.

 

“Jimin,” she called immediately going to him but Jimin put a hand up and she halted.

 

“Stop,” he said sounding weak and gasping. “Just… just stay away….” His voice sounds feeble.

 

Seulgi bit her lip as she watched Jimin struggling with his breath and she could spot beads of sweat dotting on his forehead eventhough it was cold. Worry sprung up on her as she remembered him taking medicines for a headache.

 

He was already sick and she probably made it worse. Eating ice cream… hanging out here in the cold… that probably explains the runny nose. “You’re sick,” she can’t help but say worriedly.

 

Jimin felt his body is on fire—like he’s being torched.  He tried to stand up but his legs refused to cooperate as he fell back down. Damn, he had felt some kind of fever coming in earlier. He should’ve drank some medicine for a flu or fever but he completely forgot about it because of an unexpected and unwanted visitor. He settled on lifting his knees up and resting his elbows over it to rest for a while and get what energy he can regain.

 

“Tell me what I need to do,” Seulgi practically begged as she watched him.

 

Jimin lifted his head to look at Seulgi after a minute as he breathed raspily through his mouth and saw her standing there in her iridescent form. And he froze. The sun setting down behind her made her look… lustrous and beatific that Jimin forgot what he is supposed to be doing or supposed to say.  He had never seen a soul that could be this beautiful… angel-like… ethereal….

 

“Jimin?”

 

He didn’t realized he had been staring at her for far too long and when he did, his eyes widened at those terms that he used to describe this soul. What the heck?! Where the hell did those came from? He closed his eyes as he let out an annoying sigh. Is he already going to die that his mind is starting to use Angel-like? Ethereal? He had never used those words except for an essay he had passed when he was in High School. And he only copied it from Taehyung’s essay.

 

“Jimin, please tell me you’re okay,” Seulgi demanded with a commanding voice.

 

Jimin lifted his eyes open but fixed his gaze on the cement floor. “Do I look like I’m okay?” His voice sounded hoarse but finally getting his brain back.

 

“No….” Seulgi paused for a long minute before  she proceeded with her apology. “I’m really really really sorry! I can’t—”

 

“—control your emotions,” Jimin interrupted still not looking at her. “I’ve heard you before and I don’t want to hear that anymore.”

 

But that is the truth! She wanted to say but would it really make any difference? She knew it’s going to happen again and again. Why? Because she’s an emotional brat. What, she’s going to use the same apology everytime it happens? Frankly, she doesn’t want to hear herself say it again.

 

Seulgi just watched him anxiously feeling so useless and guilty. Jimin wet his dry lips after a long minute of silence when he felt a little bit better. He finally looked up to see the gloomy expression of Kang Seulgi. In deep contrast to her radiant form. “What did you find that caused you extreme panic?” He was plugging the ID of the radio station when he felt the pull. He froze as it felt stronger than the last. And it happened so swiftly he didn’t even notice her soul falling on him. It was a complete blur but felt like it blasted on him.

 

Seulgi’s gloomy expression turned even gloomier as her eyes roved his pale face and it was after a minute that she finally answered. “I… I got my memories back.”

 

Jimin looked slightly surprised at that. “All of it?”

 

Seulgi nodded slowly. “All of it.” She met Jimin’s expectant eyes and so many thoughts ran on Seulgi’s head at that moment as she noted Jimin’s sickly pallor. And a faint dark circle on his eyes. Was that because of her? Did he get sick because of her?  

 

He hated souls… he hated souls like her… trespassing in his body… violating it… she could even imagine how he looked like when he is being driven to a mental hospital….

 

Seulgi gave him a big smile as she made a fast decision. “I know where my body is,” she said brightly. She doesn’t know why she’s suddenly lying but… she knew she just can’t keep on doing this to Jimin. She just doesn’t know if she had a way out of inhabiting him. The witch girl did mention she might not be able to possess him when she’s in a really good distance away. But how distant is that distance? And how can she communicate with Jaebum if she would lie to Jimin of going back to where her body is? Stupid.  She should’ve given this more thought than making a spontaneous plan in less than a minute. “And i… I  was waiting for you to kick me out so I could get back with my own body. So… if you’re gonna be okay, I’ll be leaving now.”

 

Jimin didn’t even bat an eye, his eyes fixed on her face. “Yeah I’m going to be okay.”

 

His immediate response without even giving it a thought, even just a fake one, irked her a little bit. He’s really ecstatic to finally be rid of me. Seulgi kept her fake smile as she gave him a stiff nod then turned to leave but her teeth were gritted. He couldn’t even fake a small concern over me? No how’re you feeling over finding your body? Where did you find it? There’s nothing?!

 

She shouldn’t have felt bad… that much. She’ll just give him this night to be at ease and then come back tomorrow and yell Surprise, I lied biatch! But she couldn’t even find any amusement over that scenario over her dilemma for the night. Where will she go now? Roam on the streets like a ghost? Go to her uncle to spy on? That latter is really a good idea. Maybe she could really find her body if she did but she really doesn’t want to possess Jimin in case she gets panicky especially if he is feeling sick. That would be like, taking advantage of the weak and the helpless.

 

She would then be no longer different than her uncle. Maybe when Jimin is back at his apartment, she could come back and hang out here in the rooftop. It’s not like  he’s hanging out here every night.

 

Or at least she hoped he doesn’t.

 

“Seulgi.” She heard Jimin call her.

 

Seulgi stopped and composed her face before looking at Jimin with a smile. “Yes?”

 

Jimin gave her a dry look. “You’re a lousy liar.”

 

Her fake smile fell instantly and her expression turned into relief. “Thank god you saw through me.” She marched over to where he’s sitting.

 

Jimin just gave an incredulous scoff at that pun and watched as Seulgi strode over to where he’s slumped on. That didn’t take long. I was expecting a denial.

 

Seulgi sat down beside him on the cement floor then saw Jimin looking at the small space between them and lifting his eyes to look at her  pointedly.  Seulgi scowled as she scooted a little farther away from him.

 

“Sorry for that little… fib,” Seulgi said not looking sorry at all.

 

“Why you even attempted that is beyond me,” Jimin muttered.

 

“But I did get my memories,” Seulgi said looking up at the sky again. “All of my memories.” Jimin glanced at her and Seulgi continued. “The thing is… where my body is remains a msytery.” She turned her head to look at Jimin, her eyes turning hard. “But I finally know who is hiding it.”

 

Again, Jimin waited for her to contnue but she kept looking at him with that hard stare as if waiting for him to ask. So he did. “Who?”

 

“My Uncle.” She looked up at the sky again but Jimin could see her jaw clenched.

 

And again, he waited for her to continue but it seemed like that is all she had  to say. He’s not sure if she’s open to sharing that information of her life yet so he just asked, “Is he someone of a… public figure?” Considering that Kang Seulgi is a known heiress, this uncle of hers would probably be of a much bigger stature in the society,

 

Seulgi whipped her head to look at him, an expression of incredulity on her face as if him not knowing her uncle is a big insult. “My Uncle is Cha Seung-Won. The Chairman of Cha Global Industries.”

 

“Okay,” Jimin said with a nod. Yeah, he heard of him then.

 

But Seulgi looked like she isn’t through educating him about the powerful man in the business world. “Cha Global Industries is a leading distributor of commercial and industrial equipments and is also operating on information technology and communication infrastructure that spans the globe. Though I might say the development of the latter is all thanks to me. Cha Seung-Won owns CSW transport, if his initials isn’t an obvious give-away, which caters to intra state, inter state and cross country bus shuttle services, trucking and haulage business, car rental services, food truck business, auto repair. He also owns three shopping malls in this country alone and two electronics factory and—”

 

“—and I don’t care,” Jimin interrupted her tirade. “Do you really think I want you to give me a rundown of your uncle’s overwhelming wealth?”

 

Seulgi scowled. “I can’t believe you didn’t know him. Come to think of it, you didn’t know me too. You should’ve recognized who I am when I suddenly appeared inside your apartment as a soul. The Young Genuis Billionaire on the cover of Fortune Magazine? Don’t you ever read magazines?”

 

“Obviously not,” Jimin answered wryly. “I only know people that I need to know.”

 

“But you knew Im Jaebum.”

 

“He’s the people that I need to know.”

 

Seulgi turned her body to face him looking affronted. “Because he’s the chairman of a music company? I was behind that company.”

 

“Yeah,” Jimin told her. “Behind.” He stressed the word. “Does that answer your question?”

 

Seulgi grimaced wanting to find some fiery rebuttal but couldn’t come up with a more witty response over that so she just tsked her tongue and faced forward again.

 

A smile crept up on Jimin’s face feling the dizziness already fading. Well, it really looks like she really did get all her memories. Back into acting like the same snotty princess that she was when he tried to hand over a demo track to Im Jaebum. “So… why is your uncle hiding your body?” He asked after a moment.

 

“To eventually kill it,” Seulgi answered.

 

The smile on Jimin’s face faded and he looked at Seulgi’s face to see if she was joking but she looked dead serious as she stared up at sky. “Sorry….” He could just say. Somehow, this isn’t surprising him. He already encountered souls who were killed by their own family members. Aren’t they one of the reasons he got arrested for when he was in Busan? A soul seeking revenge against a family member who killed him... Trespassing a home with the intent of murder….

 

He could just imagine how he must’ve looked when the soul who inhabited his body turned homicidal. He remembered waking up inside a prison cell with charges of assault of an elderly woman. And then that soul lingering around waiting for him to get out of bars so he could complete that crime because his sister murdered him for money. And then another soul came with another reason… and another….

 

He shook the memory off his head. He no longer wants to remember that darkness in his life.

 

“He had one of his men try to kill me on the highway in Califorina before the car I was in fell off a cliff,” Seulgi recounted quietly. “Now he’s hiding my body somewhere on a respirator. Probably injecting me with drugs to keep me unconscious.”

 

“How did you know that?”

 

Seulgi glanced at him before telling him the whole story from the moment she followed his uncle inside his office and the conversation he had with his hitman. Gaining her memories back, meeting Jaebum, even her conversation with him about the possibilites of her uncle’s plans.

 

“I would do everything I can to fight him,” Seulgi was saying. “I was so determined. Now… I realized I don’t know how to fight him at all or… where to even start. I was glad Jaebum is finally believing us but… at the same time, I don’t want him involved in this.” She gave a scoff. “Sometimes I think being born in this family is a curse.”

 

Jimin gave a small smirk because he perfectly understood how that feels. To be born in a family with a curse. A literal curse.

 

Seulgi realized what she said a moment later and she immediately turned to Jimin looking regretful. She barely remembered that Jimin is so sensitive about that term. Or was the term gift to describe his ability?  Either way, her curse is probably nothing next to his. “Sorry, I didn’t mean—”

 

“You have a chance to spy on your uncle for information that we can use,” Jimin cut her off. “Now that you’re out of me, you can freely play detective without literally being seen.”

 

Seulgi studied him noting how quickly he changed the subject. She decided not to dwell on that then and answered him, “I was planning to but not tonight.”

 

“Uh… isn’t your case a little bit on the urgent category and not a later kind of thing?”

 

“I need time to gather myself. If I go to my uncle and I’ve found some other information that is detrimental to my tranquility, I might end up possessing you again.” She gave Jimin a playful smile. “My emotions are still quite vulnerable so I need time.”

 

The fact that she is doing what she can to prevent herself from possessing him made Jimin feel all kinds of strange emotions. Maybe it’s because he had never met a soul who is not running after him to satisfy their greed or hovering around in hopes that he would let his guard down so they could take the chance to pounce on him. Even with the Repudiation skills he learned, they still try to do it anyway.

 

“It’s okay,” he found himself saying.

 

“It’s okay what?”

 

Jimin let out a sigh as he looked up at the sky too. “I’m now sure you’re not some kind of powerful entity. You can’t help your emotions, I understand that. I hate being possessed by a soul but it’s just an unescapable fate for me. It’s something that I can’t help because it’s what I was born with. The same as your… emotions, I guess. It’s something you can’t help.”

 

“It’s something people can’t help,” Seulgi corrected him, a tinge of sarcasm on her voice. “I’m not the only one who have emotions, you know.”

 

“You’re the only one whom I have a problem with emotions, why would I care about other people’s?”

 

Drat! There he is again making sense.

 

“So I’m telling you It’s okay,” Jimin repeated himself. “You can’t help it. And even if I bust a vein yelling at you about it, it’s stil going to happen anyway because of that stupid soulmate nonsense and then you’ll be apologizing again right after. And then it would happen again and again. It’s just tiring for both of us.”

 

Seulgi studied his face where his sickly pallor earlier already disappeared and she could finally spot a tinge of pink on both his cheeks. Or maybe that was the cold. “You are really strangely calm about this when just the other day, you were screaming at me.”

 

Jimin laid his bent up knees down on the floor to stretch his legs.  “I don’t have the energy to keep on screaming at you.”

 

Seulgi adjusted her body to face him. “So you’re not going to get mad if I suddenly possess you, is that what you’re saying?”

 

Jimin paused then gave her a warning glare at that gleeful note on her tone. “That is not a free-pass, Kang Seulgi. I’m just telling you it’s okay if you suddenly feel too emotional that you needed my body to vent. It doesn’t mean you can posses it any damn time and do anything with it.”

 

Her face slightly fell. “Yeah… that’s… what I meant,” Seulgi said not wanting to feel disappointed. Well, if she is inside Jimin, eating some snacks wouldn’t hurt. Is that already out of the question?

 

“Uncontrolled emotions,” Jimin stressed then muttered. “At least until the witch is back and I would know how to repell this soulmate nonsense.”

 

Seulgi scowled at him. “Yeah I get it.”

 

Jimin turned to her with a warning glare. “Do not do anything when you get inside my body. Especially if you meet up with Im Jaebum,” Jimin continued with a bite in his tone. “I would expect you didn’t do any of that… heart eyes or inappropriate things when you met up with him earlier with my body, right? Because that would be completely ridiculous to see.”

 

A flash of her hugging Jaebum in the middle of the street and then holding each other’s hands inside the ice cream shop. “Of course I wouldn’t do that.” She managed to keep her poker face as she faced forward to look at… somewhere else.

 

Jimin’s eyes narrowed at her. “You’re enunciating your every word which is less your normal way of speaking and one which I can suppose is because you are lying.”

 

Seulgi turned to him with a wry expression on her face. “I suppose you’re feeling better now which would explain the badgering.”

 

Jimin frowned at her. “I’m not badgering.”

 

“But you are, right?” Seulgi’s wry expression turned into concern. “You’re feeling better now.”

 

“Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter