Final.

A Truly Royal Affair

 

190412


 

‘Tired?’

A hand on Junmyeon’s arm brings him back from the temporary lack of awareness. Junmyeon sighs but it’s a happy sigh; he takes a step closer, slipping his left arm around the taller man’s lower back, resting his palm in the crook of the other’s neck. He then leans in for a side hug, not even trying to hide his intentions of putting his weight on his partner. The younger man laughs, nonetheless reciprocating the caress by placing his own arm around Junmyeon’s shoulders.

His husband, Junmyeon sighs again, a smile slowly making its way to his lips. He looks up – he has to look up because they’re so close, and the fact that he’s undeniably shorter doesn’t help, either – observing the younger for a moment. Eventually, the blond turns to him, frowning playfully.

‘Do I have something on my face?’ He asks innocently, as if he didn’t know exactly how handsome he is and how much Junmyeon adores him. Any day, the older would respond with a joke, never letting his husband’s ego inflate too much. Today, though, today he just says,

‘You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me, Oh Sehun, and I hope you always remember that.’

He’s not crying but he’s not laughing, either. He just looks at the other with wonder, like he almost always has, since the first time they met at that charity luncheon. Like Sehun is somebody precious and rare, and so very foreign to how Junmyeon has lived his life until now but he wants him anyway, he’d do anything to keep him.

And now Sehun is all his. Forever, hopefully. It’s so hard to believe.

They hold gaze for a few seconds before the younger gently disentangles himself from their embrace and instead gathers Junmyeon’s cheeks in his large palms before kissing him passionately. They run out of breath eventually, Junmyeon lowering his head pleased but also embarrassed by his momentary negligence of the situation.

‘We’ll scandalise the entire nation..,’ is all he manages to whisper before he is being approached again, this time with even more vigor than a minute ago. They soon part again, this time positively panting. Sehun rises an eye brow, mockingly surprised.

‘Really? The entire nation, you say? Why would the nation be interested in a Kim Junmyeon of all people-‘ He gets a light elbow to the stomach as Junmyeon steps away, and he laughs.

‘You’re mean,’ he huffs, though only half seriously.

‘I, on the other hand… Korea has just lost its most attractive bachelor so I can definitely see some guys crying over my marriage-‘ Junmyeon swats him one more time as Sehun attempts to get closer.

‘Who you slept with is definitely not the topic I want to talk about. The press has done enough of that even without my help.’ The older grimaces now, turning away to the window and Sehun takes that opportunity to give him a tight back hug.

‘Never again,’ the blond promises, giving Junmyeon a light kiss on the neck to seal the deal. Pacified, the brunette relaxes into the hold.

They stand there for a while, staring at the runaway through the tall window. Their boarding isn’t until another thirty minutes, despite the charter. Junmyeon knows that this is a private lounge but today’s technology is just too advanced and the camera lenses too good not to capture the affection they just exchanged. The reporters will find a way to follow them even on their honeymoon – he’s expected it, but it doesn’t mean that he has to be happy about it. In reality, he doesn’t want to give them anything more that he absolutely has to. He wants to keep all the domesticity he shares with Sehun private, especially after the troubled life the younger has led until now.

‘So what were you thinking about just now?’ Sehun prompts again and Junmyeon doesn’t want to spoil the mood any further, so he opts for a half truth.

‘I was thinking that my wedding was covered by more than a hundred television channels and they all saw the way I nearly tripped when I was getting off the car.’

Sehun laughs heartily at the response and Junmyeon smiles too, elated by the sound.

‘You were ing awesome out there, Junmyeon, the most handsome man to ever get married. I would know, I was there,’ Sehun bends to give Junmyeon’s neck another kiss and this time, it is the elder’s turn to chuckle.

‘You weren’t so bad yourself,’ he affirms, still smiling widely.

 

 

 

His and Sehun’s paths were technically not even supposed to cross. Junmyeon’s life has always been one of never ending formalities and duties he has to fulfil. There is no escape, it has to be done. It is both a privilege and a curse, if Junmyeon has to be completely honest.

Sehun? People like Oh Sehun tend to spend their entire time mildly amused at everything, their only worry probably being who will receive the biggest chunk of the inheritance once their parents pass away. Sehun is his elderly parent’s youngest illegitimate child so he was pretty much written off the will before the race even began, but that never really bothered him because the moment he collected his trust fund at twenty-one, he invested it all, and invested it well. If there was one thing that Sehun has been serious about, it was his own well-being. He didn’t particularly like school and he felt too rich to work.

Thus, he just had to make sure that his initial budget grew and more importantly, that it never dried up.

So Sehun was there that day when Crown Prince Junmyeon was asked to open the GQ Magazine’s Charity Gala. It wasn’t anything new – Junmyeon had always participated in similar events, seeing it as an opportunity to both be closer to the public and use his influence for something good. He’s done auctions with them before and generously donated to the supported causes. It was routine – a better part of his job but nonetheless, still routine. He usually shook hands with all the newcomers, making small talk politely but with the air of secrecy. Many wanted his opinion – or better yet, a slip up – on the current state of economy, doings of the parliament and external relationships between Korea and its neighbours but the one golden rule was to never engage. Smile and nod, but always be diplomatic.

Such attitude was already long and deeply ingrained in Junmyeon’s behaviour and attitude, to the point when it came automatic. But there was hardly anyone whom he could be himself around, or even whom he could simply show a wide range of stronger emotions. Royalty didn’t laugh hysterically, didn’t grief without inhibitions. They didn’t act spontaneously or brazenly. Both Junmyeon and his younger brother Jongin knew the rules like the back of their own hands. Granted, Jongin was a tiny bit more rebellious, riding his Harley-Davidson around Seoul late at night but he was also “the spare” heir, so more leniency was expected.

It was a surprise, a shock nearly, when Oh Sehun approached Junmyeon on his own accord, offering him a drink. Junmyeon only blinked at the man, at the last moment remembering to control his expression. Royalty was not to be approached unless introduced to through somebody else, usually the attaché. If the prince was standing on the side, it meant he needed a moment alone before he could go back to socialising.

Not to mention, royalty didn’t accept food or similar offerings from strangers.

Oh Sehun had no qualms, though, not really acknowledging in anyway the other’s status. Junmyeon should have been offended by the whole situation, but there was something refreshing about the couldn’t-care-less attitude with which Sehun carried himself. It wasn’t just about seduction – it was about being who you wanted to be, in a way that suited only you.

They talked for a bit, about nothing mostly. Junmyeon declined the drink beyond the already held flute of champagne but Sehun managed to indulge himself in two glasses of red wine during the time they spent together. It didn’t take long for Junmyeon to figure out who exactly Sehun was, but it’s not like the younger was hiding it, either. On the contrary – he readily shared about his life and interest, seemingly out of the blue and on a complete whim, even when Junmyeon was reluctant to give him more than half a word in reply.

Junmyeon’s responsibilities pushed him towards other guests and they regrettably parted ways. Sehun raised his glass in a toast with an amused twinkle in his eyes as the Crown Prince couldn’t help himself and turned around one last time, intrigued. 

On the way back to royal apartments, Junmyeon remembered the peculiar companion and took his phone out to look him up online. A 26 year old rich socialite – nothing that Junmyeon didn’t already know from their brief encounter. Alleged ex-partner of this and that celebrity – nothing that Junmyeon couldn’t already imagine just looking at the younger. Junmyeon let his head fall back with a deep sigh as the limousine was cruising one street after another, completely ignoring the traffic regulations thanks to its passenger. The Prince then pondered what it was like, being somebody like Oh Sehun – or maybe being with somebody like Oh Sehun, but to Junmyeon it didn’t make that much of a difference. Both would require an amount of brazenness and fervour that the Prince could not afford. It was hard to even imagine not having pressing responsibilities and crippling commitments, just going out on the street, your biggest crime being too rich and having too much fun.

Junmyeon had and always would attract attention, but for an entirely different reason.

He sighed again, discarding his phone and letting it fall onto the seat next to him. It was better to forget Oh Sehun as soon as possible. Nothing good would come out of daydreaming.

 

 

 

They met again two weeks later, at a more private occasion. Junmyeon was invited to one of the “house balls” organised by the local aristocracy, though nothing could have been further from the truth. There was nothing homey about the brightly lit ballroom with over two hundred guests in their fanciest attire and the daughters of Korea’s best houses debuting in the society. Junmyeon had considered sending his donation to the cause chosen that year and skip the event, but he had already declined twice in previous years – and once out of legitimate laziness – so he wasn’t in a position to do so again. Having exchanged pleasantries with almost everyone – and some even repeatedly – he took a seat and tried to enjoy the light drink he had been served. He had been staring at the dancing crowd with a distant look when he noticed from the corner of his eye the chair next to him being occupied.

He stole a glance, but quickly did a double take when he registered the presence. It was hard not to recognise those high cheekbones and elegant nose despite the stark change in his hair colour. Having gone from deep auburn to Hollywood blond, Oh Sehun suddenly had Junmyeon’s jaw go slack.

‘How about a drink, Kim Junmyeon?’ He asked, completely disregarding the royal title, just like he had before during their first conversation.

‘I shouldn’t be drinking anymore,’ the older admitted, swallowing hard despite himself. His voice came out all hoarse. Sehun only raised his glass of whiskey in mock toast, eyes going back to the parade of debutants in front of them. When he didn’t say anything more, Junmyeon couldn’t help but break the silence.

‘Are you looking for a wife?’

‘Why, are you offering?’ Sehun shot right back, looking at him again in amusement. Junmyeon belatedly realised that he’d set himself up, his cheeks heating up in embarrassment. He cleared his throat.

‘I meant, this is not a public event. It’s just parents introducing their children, hoping that they marry other eligible children,’ he finished in a murmur, conscious of being overheard and possibly misunderstood.

‘Is that why you’re here? Are you gonna marry one of those debutants?’

While a lot of the girls in pretty dresses and boys in expensive tuxedos seemed to be significantly younger than his 29 years of age, he had no illusion that it was one of the primary reasons behind his invitation. There was no obligation, but rather hope that despite everything, somebody might catch the eye of the Crown Prince.

And maybe somebody had.

‘I don’t think that will happen,’ was what he settled for. Sehun chuckled – why, Junmyeon didn’t exactly know.

‘It would indeed seem a waste. You need a livelier soul by your side.’ Junmyeon frowned inquisitively at the comment.

‘With all due respect, I don’t believe you know enough about me to make such observations.’

‘Maybe not, but I do know how lonely it is at the top.’ Junmyeon’s eyes followed Sehun to the other side of the room, where he recognised another person. The media tycoon and Sehun’s father, Oh Jinho, was standing there, leaning heavily against the nearest chair and conversing with a couple next to him. He looked sickly and well beyond even his 73 years of age. ‘Yours must truly be a golden cage in comparison.’

Junmyeon didn’t know how to respond. He didn’t want to admit that the observation was spot-on.

‘I know it’s a total cliché – and a heresy, me of all people commenting on your love life – but find a person who will like Kim Junmyeon not only in a fancy suit, but also with bed hair and morning breath after a night of heavy drinking.’

Yeah, it was a cliché thing to say but it somehow made Junmyeon smile, the corners of his lips unsuccessfully turning down and trying to conceal it.   

‘Well, I suppose I could say the same to you. I hope whoever marries Oh Sehun can deal with your inevitable hair loss on the account of the frequent colour changes.’ Sehun chuckled again, and Junmyeon didn’t even care that the comment inadvertently exposed his private online investigation into the life and doings of his companion.

 

 

 

 

It wasn’t so easy to get Oh Sehun out of his mind this time around. Junmyeon’s been admittedly busy, but the thoughts resurfaced on his chartered flight to Madrid, where he was a guest of the royal couple and their two daughters.

What Sehun said was accurate – Junmyeon felt lonely. Sehun was worthy of attention, of course, but Junmyeon suspected that his fixation on the younger man came partially from the simple change of scenery that he entailed. He was exciting and didn’t seem to care that Junmyeon was who he was. Or if it affected him in any way, he didn’t show it.

Madrid was intoxicating in early summer and Junmyeon should only be so lucky to experience more of it, beyond official luncheons and charity visits. His driver took him around town, driving as slowly as he could just so Junmyeon could catch a glimpse of the surroundings but his day was full – he was not expected to have fun, but to represent his country. He could technically take some time off, have a holiday, but his work never stopped and he knew that every day he was there, he created more inconvenience to the already anxious Palace staff.

Walking around the beautiful garden of the Spanish palace, he resigned himself to admiring the nature and the clear sky. What he did not expect was the voice behind him that announced,

‘What did I say about being a loner?’

When Junmyeon turned around, he could only gape in bewilderment. Oh Sehun strolled towards him in a three piece white suit, his shirt ed at the collar.

‘What- How- What are you doing here?’ He finally let out, disbelief still visible on his face.

‘Stalking you,’ Sehun replied with mirth in his eyes, stopping right in front of him so that Junmyeon had to look up.

‘Really, now.’

‘Actually, Prince Felipe, the royal nephew, is kind of a friend of mine. When he sent an invitation to cruise with him in Saint-Tropez, I joined in and when I heard that you’re around this part of Europe, I didn’t say no to his invitation for the charity luncheon. So, maybe I really am stalking you.’ Sehun finished, his eyebrows playfully raised. Junmyeon chuckled helplessly, averting his eyes.

Maybe Oh Sehun was just passing the time, or maybe Junmyeon’s interest wasn’t completely one-sided.

‘Have you managed to see a lot of Madrid these days?’ Sehun joined in as Junmyeon resumed his leisurely walk.

‘These days? Honestly, no. I’ve been to Spain before, but it’s also been some time,’ the older admitted.

‘Let me take you out, then.’

‘I beg your pardon?’ Junmyeon turned to the other, thinking he’d heard wrong.

‘You and I, let’s go out. Explore.’ The way Sehun’s eyes slowly raked all over Junmyeon’s silhouette left no room to imagine that local architecture and cuisine was all the younger cared about.

‘You want to take me out? I know that all this time you have done a great job of ignoring my situation, but I’m not exactly somebody that can be taken out just like that.’ Junmyeon managed to recover somehow.

‘Let me take you out anyway,’ Sehun insisted, smiling lightly.

Oh Sehun didn’t take no for an answer, Junmyeon soon found out, and it didn’t help that Junmyeon simply wanted his company. Chanyeol - the only personal bodyguard that came with Junmyeon to Spain and had also been in his service for some time before that - couldn’t hide his surprise at the Prince’s request to go out later at night but even so, objected much less than Junmyeon had predicted. Junmyeon was not the type to do things rashly or try to break the rules, and all his staff knew that. This was new.

Chanyeol changed into casual clothes and trailed some few feet away behind the Prince, as Junmyeon and Sehun took their time around the Old Town.

I like Madrid,’ Junmyeon decided after an hour or so, two street hot dogs and a big cone of ice cream. He was unaware of the way his cheeks filled when blissfully pleased but Sehun did notice. He admired the other man’s profile for a while before turning away to the stall with trinkets.

‘Is it your favourite European city?’

‘No, actually it’s Paris. I love France. I harbour irrational love for all things French,’ the Prince declared, feeling too carefree to care about how air-headed it sounded. Sehun smirked at the comment.

‘I’m French,’ he moved closer to the other’s ear, teasing. Junmyeon’s eyes went wide for a moment before he took a step back and burst in a fit of giggles.

‘What are you saying,’ he scolded dismissively.

‘I’m serious, I’m French. You didn’t know..?’ Sehun frowned, now more seriously though still smiling.

Junmyeon stopped in his tracks, now looking at the younger with clarity. Oh Sehun was handsome, beyond handsome. If Junmyeon were to be honest, there was something exotic in his features that Junmyeon could not pinpoint, but he always attributed it to the symmetry of his face and the smoothness of his skin.

‘I mean… I guess not. It’s not a trick, is it?’

‘It’s not,’ Sehun laughed, reaching into his wallet to show him his ID. It looked real.

‘So you’re not Korean and your name…?’

‘Fabien. My maternal grandfather’s name. My mum was born and raised in Paris, she still lives there since her affair with my father was rather brief. And I am Korean, too – I hold both passports.’

‘How did I not know this?’ Junmyeon wondered out loud before reflecting. ‘I mean-‘

‘No need to apologise, I figured you’d have me checked,’ Sehun laughed.

‘There was no need for any checks until now. We met twice before. After the first one, I opened the first three tabs on Google to satisfy my curiosity, that’s all,’ Junmyeon defended himself weakly, blushing a little.

‘Now I feel disappointed. I thought I was more important,’ Sehun murmured and Junmyeon only laughed helplessly, trying not to show how flustered he was. It felt like a flirt with danger, somehow. Oh Sehun wasn’t the craziest out there, but he was still the antithesis of what Junmyeon’s life was supposed to be.

‘Let’s take a picture,’ Junmyeon decided, having noticed nicely lit alley leading to more restaurants. Mainly, he just wanted to change the topic.

Sehun stood closer, looking as nonchalant as always while Junmyeon stretched his lips in a smile. It felt almost like a back hug, the way they fit into each other in that moment and despite the limited time they had spent together, they personalities seems to match quite well. Junmyeon took the selfie and was about to step away when a hand on his hips stopped him. He was slowly turned around while in Sehun’s hold and their eyes met.

Junmyeon exhaled shallowly, lost for words.

‘I don’t really like taking pictures,’ Sehun admitted quietly. ‘I just wanted an excuse to get closer.’

He didn’t hesitate when he closed the distance between them but the kiss was still gentle, searching. Neither of they noticed but to their left Chanyeol made a rapid movement, mistaking the embrace for an attack before realising his foolishness and quickly turning around, face all red.

Junmyeon allowed the kiss – he wanted it. They stayed like this for a while longer, tucked away in the corner, away from the prying eyes. It was decisive and passionate but it was also romantic. It was sweet. It scared Junmyeon.

When they parted, Sehun murmured,

‘Can I get my background check now, please?’ Junmyeon chuckled into his lips as they kissed again.

 

 

 

Even if Junmyeon had wanted to forget about that Spanish night – which he didn’t – there was no avoiding Oh Sehun after that. Junmyeon was reluctant at first, not to mention extremely busy, but little by little, they both fell into the routine of calling and texting each other daily, before holing themselves up in Sehun’s apartment every week or two for a more intimate meeting. Soon Chanyeol learnt the route to the penthouse in Gangnam by heart and got his own guest room with Netflix and good stereo for the nights Junmyeon spent there. Sometimes Junmyeon caved in and allowed himself to be dragged out for a short walk in the middle of the night, sitting outside a convenience store with a can of beer as Sehun slurped his instant noodles. They would then go back, holding hands and sharing little anecdotes from the days they did not get to see each other.

Even though staying overnight often meant the Prince had to wake up extra early in the morning and rush to his responsibilities without causing too much suspicion and commotion, he felt that it was worth it. No serious words has been exchanged between the two of them but Junmyeon was happy living in the moment. Especially because he himself didn’t know what he expected or where this was all meant to go.

 

 

 

Junmyeon supposed that in a long run, it was inevitable that after three months of an on-going rendezvous, the press catch wind of their affair. Jongin barged into his room one morning, a tablet in his hands.

‘Hyung!’ He whined accusingly, his expression between amazed and bewildered. ‘Hyung.’

Junmyeon, who had been in bed but already awake and currently staring at the ceiling, sat up.

‘What is it, Nini?’ Jongin, a grown man, didn’t even notice the usually bothersome childhood nickname and turned the screen to his older brother.

‘It says here that you’re having an affair with Oh Sehun! With Oh Sehun of all people!’

‘You know Sehun..?’ Junmyeon mumbled, gingerly taking the tablet to have a look. He really shouldn’t be surprised but it was dangerous to have it out in the open. More importantly, it might mean that whatever was between him and Sehun would have to come to an end and that thought made Junmyeon gloomy.

‘Of course, who doesn’t know Oh- Wait- So it’s true?’ When Junmyeon didn’t say anything, Jongin sat down heavily. ‘I mean, we all saw you sneaking around every now and then but I would have never imagined… Oh, my.’

‘I like him,’ Junmyeon admitted after a moment. ‘A lot. But I don’t know if he likes me back.’

‘Then you better find out quick,’ his younger brother advised, looking a little uncertain.

Junmyeon sighed.

From there, things quickly escalated and eventually numerous photos resurfaced of them on a date and even one particularly shameful of Junmyeon leaving Sehun's flat at wee hours of the morning with his bed head. It was easy to understand why Junmyeon, the ever perfect heir with impeccable record, was suddenly under fire with the public, but most importantly with the Palace.

He didn't engage in any of those emotional excuses about love; honestly, he felt that he had no excuse. Truth be told, the few months of their companionship still felt new and they were still getting to know each other. He wasn’t able to confidently explain to his concerned father just what it was exactly that he was doing with the younger playboy millionaire. He knew he liked the and the fact that he could be himself around the other man. Sehun was charming and made Junmyeon feel that he was worth the affection not only because the fate of the nation rested on his shoulder, but simply because he was Kim Junmyeon, a relatively attractive man about to turn thirty. HIs sense of humour was admittedly a little flat, but apparently even that worked for Sehun.

Junmyeon didn't know if Sehun was faithful or if they were supposed to be exclusive; he hadn't dared ask. What he did know was that even though it was not responsible of him to be starting a strange relationship like that, he wanted to see where it would go because he felt himself fall hard. Not the smartest choice for a royal boyfriend, Oh Sehun was, but Junmyeon couldn’t help but be more interested in him than he'd ever been in any of the future prospects introduced to him by the court.

Nonetheless, his father demanded that Junmyeon declare himself one way or another through an official statement, lest his actions tarnished the image of the Palace. Junmyeon couldn’t take such a decision without talking to Sehun first, but he was honestly half expecting the younger to completely withdraw from their arrangement the moment things went public and it hurt. There had been no promises and no talks of the future between them, but it was still painful.

Sehun called him first, later that day. Junmyeon had tried to go about his business as usual - he had a meeting with the vice Prime Minister - but it was awkward and everyone was watching him, some with contempt and some plain curious.

'Are you alright?' The gentle question came before any greetings could.

'You mean the papers?' Junmyeon decided not to beat around the bush, it was not in his nature after all. Sehun hummed in agreement.

'Of course. I've been wondering why the Palace haven't made any statement yet.'

'Why haven't you?' Junmyeon inquired quietly, changing the receiver to the other hand. He'd entered the balcony attached to his office, seeking a little privacy from the attaché residing just next door. The Crown Prince hadn't realised just how anxious he was fishing for the answer.

Sehun let out what sounded like a short chuckle of disbelief.

'I don't know what to say,' he replied and Junmyeon knew that the younger wouldn’t lie about this. 'Why haven't you called me?' He countered the question and Junmyeon shrugged, even though he couldn't be seen.

'I don't know what to say, either.'

The listened to each other breathe for a longer moment before Sehun broke the silence.

'Am I anything to you? At all?'

It was a strange question but Junmyeon understood it all the same. It was a question that required baring his heart and soul to a man that he maybe had feelings for, and who maybe didn't have feelings for him in return. It was a gamble and a risk.

‘Yes. Yes, you are,’ Junmyeon admitted quietly before adding. 'But I'll be honest with you, Sehun. It's difficult. I think you understand how our arrangement began in the first place, and you also know who I am. When I say I've never done anything like this before, I mean it. And the reputation in my family is everything. It's pride, it's money and it's our way of living. I like you... I'm beginning to like you a lot, actually. You're funny, you're smart and you treat me like I've always wanted to be treated.’

‘So what is it?’ Sehun asked after a moment.

‘Do you want me? Really want me? Not for a month or a good time, but really.’

‘I’m crazy about you.’ The younger’s voice was both insistent and heated. Junmyeon bit his lower lip at the sound. ‘I want to be with you for as long as you let me.’

‘Is that what you want? To give it a go? We still don't know each other that well and I thought that the moment the press got the wind of it, you'd want nothing to do with me. Palace must surely be nothing but trouble for a person like you and a part of me feared disappointment,' he said. When Junmyeon stopped, Sehun took it as his cue.

‘That might be true but I think I also kinda knew from the moment I approached you that it was all or nothing with you. Of course a royal will not just fool around. I am very aware that any carefree behaviour might ultimately have grave consequences. It was never my intention to burden you or give you bad press.’

‘It's difficult,’ Junmyeon only repeated helplessly. ‘In my family, we don't just date. People whom we are seen with are always subject to public scrutiny. My every move is being judged constantly and if I announce a relationship, the implication will be future marriage. Breaking up... that would just be an additional burden and a flaw brought up against my character forever. That's why-‘ Junmyeon sighed. ‘It's hard to ask you to go through all of this. In fact, it's hard to ask anyone to do such a thing. Break-ups happen and cannot be helped sometimes but if I am going to start a public relationship, we both have to sincerely believe that we are going to be alright. I just cannot afford to blindly see how it goes.’

Sehun quietly laughed at that, making Junmyeon frown. He expected heavy atmosphere and awkward good byes, not amusement.

‘Junmyeon, I think you forget who I am. I, too, was born and raised in the spotlight. My father never cared for me beyond the obligatory child support he sent my mother and yet the press followed me around, trying to find some dirt they could use during a slow week. And you know what? I gave it to them. I like messing with their heads - who is Oh Sehun sleeping with tonight, who is Oh Sehun drinking with, blah blah blah.’ The younger mimicked talk show excitement, voice devoid of any emotion. ‘It’s meaningless and a part of me that I don't mind selling out,’ he stopped, weighing his next words. For the first time since they met, he sounded vulnerable to Junmyeon. ‘I like you, Junmyeon. I really like you. And if there is one thing I know it is, I'm not gonna be like my own father. I'm not gonna waste my entire life, drifting around, chasing what is not there. Never satisfied with what I already have. What we have right now is… exciting, fresh. You make my head spin with you stories and with your body. But it can easily turn into something good and real, if we both give it a chance. If we let ourselves dive into this.’

‘I have a feeling that the nation will not be particularly fond of you,’ the Crown Prince joked, his lips trembling from withholding a smile.

‘If that’s what you want, I’ll make them fall for me just a deeply as they despise me now,’ Sehun chuckled before becoming serious. ‘But I only care about you. If I can put a smile on your face every day and make your heart beat faster, my job is done. You take care of the people – I’ll take care of Kim Junmyeon.’

 

 

 

The press conference is short. It’s actually just a public announcement relied to the press by the Palace’s attaché, more to cease the rumours before any real scandal comes out of it. The Crown Prince is an adult and has the right to be romantically involved with whoever he chooses (true). Oh Sehun is an exemplary citizen and a generous philanthropist (half true). They met through a mutual friend and developed good feelings towards one another (a blatant lie).

No talks of marriage yet.

Junmyeon knew that it would be like this, but he still started obsessively checking the media for any new rumours, especially about Sehun. Deep down he knew that there was no need to worry about the younger and that he was long used to seeing his face on the covers of tabloids but Junmyeon worried anyway.

He didn’t like what he saw, he had to admit that. News of Sehun’s alleged cheating, discussions of his past boyfriends and discreet but still extravagant lifestyle was a sore to Junmyeon’s eyes. Even though he knew that it had all happened long before he was even aware of Oh Sehun’s existence, it still felt bad. Yet Junmyeon couldn’t help himself. He kept checking.

Press and television continued mobbing Sehun since they couldn’t get any footage of the two of them on a date. These days, it was Sehun who visited Junmyeon in his royal apartments. Junmyeon just wanted this to die down and he didn’t dare go outside as a couple. It felt burdensome.

On one occasion, a popular lifestyle channel caught Sehun leaving his Gangnam apartment in the morning, jeans and white t-shirt on, hair tussled and a big bag in his hand. Junmyeon, who was just sitting down to his breakfast with Jongin and meant to change the broadcast, halted mid step just staring at the screen. Sehun looked good.

‘Oh Sehun! Oh Sehun! What is going to happen now?’ The journalist kept shouting amidst the commotion the other paparazzi were making. Sehun blinked. He held the big bag up.

‘Now? Now I’m gonna go down the road to do my laundry, my housekeeper has the week off.’ He looked like he wanted to walk away before turning to the woman again. ‘By the way, do you have any coins?’

Junmyeon couldn’t help but burst out laughing. Jongin laughed as well, looking at his brother.

‘You should keep this one.’

Junmyeon thought so, too.  

 

 

 

In the year following the reveal of their relationship, they became old news of sorts, especially when Jongin’s seemingly unrequited love turned out to be no so unrequited and he started taking around the youngest son of the Minister of Education on nightly motorcycle rides. In his leather jacket and with a model like silhouette, he was a much more interesting subject than his older boring brother. Even Oh Sehun stopped playing with fire just for the kicks.

Sehun proposed a year later sometime in Autumn. He didn’t want to make a big deal out of it because he had a feeling that it was not what Junmyeon wanted. He made up an excuse to go visit his mother in France two weeks before that, in order to pick up in peace what he thought would be a special and suitable engagement ring. However, it was in vain anyway.

‘Are you going to propose to me tonight?’ Junmyeon asked with an amused smile when they sat down in the private room of a restaurant situated on top of an expensive hotel in Apgujeong and their orders were taken. In the past year, Junmyeon had relaxed a little and allowed himself to go out every once in a while, though always on his best behaviour.   

Sehun sent him a long look before he shook his head, chuckling in disbelief.

‘Do you read minds now, too?’ Junmyeon smiled.

‘No, but I regrettably still read the press. Ilbo caught some candid shots of you in a jewellery store.’  When Sehun didn’t reply immediately, the older became serious. ‘I’m sorry, did I ruin it?’

‘No, not really,’ Sehun smiled back. ‘Not unless you are disappointed. But I didn’t think you wanted a grand gesture.’

‘I really don’t,’ Junmyeon affirmed, reaching for the other’s hand lying on the table. ‘In fact, I was thinking to bring the matter up myself at some point.’

‘Good, because this room and myself is as big as it gets. I was going to show you the ring and ask you if you felt ready. Though I was going to wait until at least desert,’ he chuckled again.  

‘Are you ready?’ Junmyeon countered, looking at Sehun playfully.

‘I was ready a year ago.’ Something about the decisiveness in Sehun’s voice made Junmyeon’s cheeks red. ‘Jongin told me that it was not customary in your family to wait with marriage for a long time when in a serious relationship.’

‘I mean, there is no need to rush but royal weddings do tend to happen rather fast. I think it’s partially due to the public pressure.’

‘There is absolutely no pressure,’ Sehun assured. ‘Kim Junmyeon, what do you say? Should we make it official? That is, before Jongin and his boyfriend beat us to it?’

‘A-ha, I knew there was a hidden agenda,’ Junmyeon shook his head, feigning upset but he then giggled. Sehun smiled at him fondly.

‘Marry me, Kim Junmyeon. I wanna make you laugh every day, no exceptions.’

‘Let’s see the ring, then. I wanna know how much the Crown Prince is worth first,’ Junmyeon teased but his tone was so pleased that it came out weakly. Sehun raised Junmyeon’s hand to his lips and kissed it.

‘He’s priceless.’ There was no hesitation in his voice.

 

 

 

The wedding was a grand affair, it couldn’t have not been one. It took place in April. The European royals were all invited and that was just the beginning of the long list. Junmyeon didn’t participate much in the preparations leading up to the event – it was all centuries old traditions anyway, he couldn’t change much even if he tried. He only insisted on being able to pick his own honeymoon destination.

They picked an isolated isle in Bali.

The ceremony itself, Junmyeon doesn’t remember much of it. He isn’t the sentimental type but it did feel surreal to walk with Sehun to the altar hand in hand. He doesn’t remember the vows, either. Jongin cried a lot, his eyes were all red.

Junmyeon will have to watch the tape but all in due time.

Right now, he just wants to stand there, still embraced by his husband and not care about a single thing in the world.

‘You’re the best thing that’s happened to me, Oh Sehun,’ he repeats, still looking at the runway. He tangles their fingers together over his own waist.

Sehun leans in, giving him another light kiss.

‘Oh, Junmyeon,‘ he sighs, an air chuckle escaping his lips. ‘You just wait. The best is yet to come.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Do you know who I am?’ Junmyeon looks at the newcomer, bewildered at the other’s audacity. Does he not know you are not supposed to approach the royals on your own?

Oh Sehun smirks innocently.

‘Yeah, you’re Kim Junmyeon, aren’t you?’

Junmyeon looks at him in wonder, briefly lost for words. A small smile of disbelief makes its way to his lips.

‘Yes. That I am.’