Chapter 3

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

-2023-

Jennie Kim had always been stubborn. But it took a set of twins and their insistent plea for her to finally allow Kim Hanbin to stay for the night. Plus, her conscience told her to go easy on a man she once knew especially when he looked like he hadn’t slept for days.

 

Even though he wasn’t completely a stranger, Jennie still felt protective of the girls. She led him to the guestroom furthest from her room and decided to let the twins sleep in her own room with her. As soon as she saw him take a sit on the edge of the bed, she told him that breakfast would be served at 7 am and gently pulled the girls out of the room even before they could say goodnight. She was already emotionally exhausted because of the girls. She couldn’t bear to deal with Kim Hanbin just yet.

 

As soon as they got inside her room, Jennie felt the exhaustion. But she also knew that she had responsibilities in taking care of the girls. She was about to open the girls’ luggage when the twins surprised her when they did it on their own. She saw the Sua opening a ziplock and taking their toothbrushes while Seola took two sets of pajamas. The twins did everything on their own now. Jennie was again reminded of how much she had missed. She felt the tears welling up on her eyes.

 

“Eomma, are you crying?” Sua asked as she emerged from the bathroom. For a 5 year old, she was very perceptive.

 

“No, sweetie! Eomma is just very sleepy,” Jennie responded as she faked her yawn. “Look at the time! It’s way past your bedtime girls. Seola, hurry up. You two better be in bed in 3…2…1.” She said, trying to change the subject. Jennie saw Seola running out of the bathroom and jumping on the bed. Unlike her twin, Sua just quietly climb up the bed and settled herself under the blanket.

 

The twins didn’t even have to be told twice. In a matter of minutes, they were both sound asleep. Jennie knew that she should better sleep too. She knew she had to wash up and perhaps change to a more comfortable clothing but she was too tired. She settled herself on the couch and just like the girls, she was asleep in no time.

--------------

Kim Hanbin woke up with the sound of waves crashing on the shore and the soft whistling of the wind. He pushed the curtains on the side as he opened the sliding glass door that had access to a terrace overlooking the beach. He stretched his arms, tilted his head towards the sky as he enjoyed the warm sunlight on his skin. This was the perfect hiding place he could ever have wanted.

 

He was enjoying his alone time when he saw the twins running around the beach. Closely behind them was Jennie, motioning with her hand for the girls to go back inside. The twins stared at each other and dragged themselves towards Jennie. They were clearly upset but they immediately obeyed their eomma.

 

‘Eomma.’ Hanbin thought. That’s when it occurred to him that Jennie was the twins’ eomma. The twins, though fraternal, looked like mini versions of Jennie.

 

Hanbin stared at Jennie Kim as she led the girls back inside. It had been 5 years since the last time they met and so much had changed in her. Gone was the girl who light up the world—the girl who smiled a lot. Jennie looked tired—like she was carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. Every time Kim Hanbin looked her in the eyes, she looked like she would burst into tears anytime. He realized how much 5 years could change someone. Perhaps, Jennie Kim lived a difficult life.

 

There was no mention of the twin’s father. And Hanbin wasn’t sure if she was wearing a ring last night. The twins were 5 years old. When he and Jennie met, he was almost so sure that she didn’t have a boyfriend.

 

It was in that moment when Kim Hanbin had a sudden realization. He felt his heart drop on his stomach. In a blink of an eye, memories of that one night 5 years ago came crashing back.

 

-2017-

 

Ever since that fateful night when he bumped onto Jennie and walked her home, Hanbin had been constantly having coincidental meetings with Jennie. It wasn’t entirely coincidental since he would always go back to the same café, take a seat on his usual spot and she would do the same. But he never acknowledged his presence. He just looked at her from afar.

 

Hanbin couldn’t believe that he was acting like a stalker. But he reminded himself that he was doing it for work. He needed new songs. She was his muse and just seeing her from afar was enough for him to find inspiration. He had written at least 10 songs ever since he knew her. It wasn’t even a week yet.

 

As much as he wanted to approach her, he didn’t want to intrude while she was studying. He started a routine of leaving the coffee shop before the dinner crowd would enter, working on his music in his hotel room until midnight, going out of the hotel for some convenience store food, and taking a stroll on the area near the coffee shop in case a damsel in distress needed someone to walk her home.

 

But to Kim Hanbin’s dismay, her barista friend had been consistently walking her home since. He gave up after the 5th night. He was just going to look from afar.

 

The next day, he went on his usual routine. He was seated on the back of the café, editing his lyrics when she came. For the first time, she wasn’t carrying any books. For the first time, she wasn’t wearing a smile on her face. She immediately walked over the counter and talked to the female barista.

 

“Hey Jisoo eonni, is Minho here?” Jennie asked while trying to peak at the staff area.

 

“He had to fly to Jeju today. His dad had business to attend to and couldn’t go to the opening of the newest branch of the coffee shop in Jeju, so he took his dad’s place. Did you need something from him?” Jisoo answered as she prepared Jennie her usual drink. Jennie didn’t even need to ask for it anymore.

 

“Oh. That’s why he wasn’t answering my calls. Nevermind. Thank you.” Jennie answered as she took the cup and find a seat. Her usual spot was free but she passed by it and walked towards the back of the café.

 

Kim Hanbin panicked. He closed his laptop, fearing that she might come over and see his music. He adjusted his hoodie and mask, making sure that he wouldn’t be easily recognized.

 

To his surprised, Jennie Kim sat across him. He stared at her in disbelief. She was really there in front of him.

 

“Yah, Hanbin! How come you never say hello to me these past few days?” She asked before she took a drink from her cup.

 

Kim Hanbin turned red. All those time, he thought she wasn’t aware of his presence. He started to think of all possible scenarios. It didn’t look good on his end.

 

“You were too engrossed studying. I didn’t want to intrude. But since you’re here now, hi?” He answered.

 

“You seem to be working on something. Am I interrupting?” Jennie asked after she noticed the open notebook with scribbles on top of the table.

 

“No. I was just editing some poetry. But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter