Chapter 2

Begin Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-2017-

 

It was the first time in 3 years that Kim Hanbin was left alone. Well, he did sneak out of their dorm in the middle of the night, turned off his phone and brought a train ticket to Busan.

 

When his CEO told him to prepare his solo album a few days ago, he hadn't been sleeping well. He tried to write but for the first time in 3 years, nothing was coming out of his mind. Everyone was pestering him about his album and he just had enough. He needed a new scenario-- a place away from Seoul, but still have enough people to get inspiration from. That's how he found himself in a quaint coffee shop in Busan.

 

He sat on the furthest part of the cafe where he could see everyone coming in. He watched people subtly, breathing in their encounters and conversations. He's been sitting on the same spot for hours yet nothing was still coming out.

 

Just a little after 2PM, Hanbin noticed a petite girl with long hair carrying a stack of books enter the coffee shop. Almost immediately, a guy behind the counter ran towards her and grabbed the books off her arms.

 

"You're later than usual." the cafe employee asked. He seemed to know her. Or that she was a regular customer. Either way, Hanbin noted the concern in his voice. The employee led the girl to a table with good lighting.

 

"I had to finish all my chores before I plant myself here and start to grow roots. The exam is tomorrow! I will not sleep until I master everything." she said with such strong determination.

 

"All of these? I don't get why you had to take up medicine. You could just work with your brother in his business." the employee said. Hanbin noted the sense of familiarity. This might be the girl's boyfriend.

 

The girl sighed and didn't reply. Perhaps she was told this many times already. The guy went back behind the counter and started to prepare a drink. He came back to her table a few minutes after to hand her a cup of coffee.

 

"Is this..." the girl asked but even before she could finish, the guy cut her off.

 

"Venti caramel macchiatto with additional milk and 3 packets of sugar." he said without pause.

 

"Oh! You know me too well! What will I ever do without a bestfriend like you?" she replied before sipping her coffee. Hanbin noted the disappointed look on the employee's face. He gave her a forced smile before going back behind the counter. She began to open her books and proceeded to study.

 

---------------------

 

Hanbin subtly observed her as she studied. He noted how she would twirl her hair in her fingers when she was deep in thoughts. No matter how busy she was, she would always smile at the people passing by. The way the afternoon light come in contact with her face made her seem like an angel. All of a sudden, Hanbin forgot to breathe. For moment, it was as if the world stopped turning and there was only him and her. He covered his face out of embarrassment. Here he was in a secluded spot in a coffee shop, developing a crush on a beautiful stranger.

 

Hanbin began tapping his fingers. A melody entered his mind. He began scribbling lyrics on his notebook. When he was stuck, all it took was a quick glance at her, and the words and notes would just flow. It was in that moment that Hanbin realized that he found himself a new muse. He finished the song in record time. He quickly grabbed his belongings and left the coffee shop. He had to go back to his hotel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter