Chapter 6

DANCE WITH ME

By half past ten, I slipped through the door of our house. Mom stood in the threshold to the kitchen, with her cell phone in her hand. She looked up, and a relieved smile curved her lips. “Hi, sweetie. Why didn’t you take your phone with you? I was just about to call Wheein to check if everything was okay.”

 

Praise the God for the many nights I crashed at Wheein’s in the past ten years. Mom was so used to it, she would never expect anything bad when I didn’t come home after being out with her. I resisted the urge to cross myself and forced a smile.

 

“How was the party?” she asked in her innocent, motherly way.

 

“Good.”

 

“When was it over?”

 

“Little after three?”

 

Great, sound anymore guilty, and she’ll tie you to the kitchen chair and start a nasty inquisition. Luckily, her frown eased after a second, and she asked me if I wanted anything to eat. Ham and eggs, my favourite breakfast.

 

The churning of my stomach rebelled like the worst traitor through the room. Please, no food. I couldn’t help but gag and wrinkle my face. “No thanks, Mom.”

 

“What is it? Don’t you feel well?” She was in front of me before I could escape to the stairs.

 

I pulled off Byul’s shades and pinched the spot between my eyes. “Nah, all’s fine.”

 

“What’s with your eyes, honey?”

 

. I quickly hooded my eyes and stared at the floor.

 

Too late. She gasped. “They’re totally red. Kim. Yong. Sun!!”

 

Oh great, the full name. This was going downward.

 

“Have you been drinking alcohol?”

 

In contrast to her roar, my voice dropped to a mumble. “Only a little bit. And I didn’t know there was alcohol in the soda, I swear.”

 

From there she pulled off the full parental orchestra of scolding. She shouted, she grunted, she called me irresponsible for drinking. But the worst thing, she grounded me.

 

The only time where I would see daylight was practice day on Tuesday and Thursday, and she only gave in to that because I begged on my knees. After all, I couldn’t not show up for the first week of practice when it had been so hard to get onto the class.

 

Then she brought me a glass of water, hugged me, and said she was happy I didn’t get hurt. Duh, she didn’t know about my hammering head yet.

 

Back in my room, I slumped on my bed and made plans for a week trapped inside. At least my to-be-read stack would shrink drastically this way.

 

Later that day, my phone vibrated on the night stand, with Wheein’s name flashing on the display. I pushed the button to cut her off. Just letting it ring wouldn’t have been enough. She needed to know that I didn’t want to talk to her.

 

A few moments later, I got a text message. ARE YOU MAD AT ME?

 

Jerk. I wouldn’t answer that.

 

It didn’t take long for her to send the next text. SO IT’S NOT A QUESTION OF IF

BUT OF HOW MUCH.

 

I clamped my teeth, scowling sinisterly at the phone since she wasn’t here to receive the evil glare herself.

 

I WOKE UP IN A STRANGER’S HOUSE, IN A STRANGER’S BED, WITH A STRANGER SLEEPING NEXT TO ME. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I texted back, then picked up my book, and read three more lines before my cell beeped again.

 

WHAT DID BYUL UNNIE DO TO YOU? I’M GOING TO KILL HER!

 

SHE DID NOTHING. SHE WAS A PERFECT GENTLEWOMAN. OTHER THAN YOU,

IDIOT!

 

No text came after that. But soon my phone rang again. This time I picked up.

 

“What?”

 

“Unnie…I’m sorry.”

 

“I don’t care. You forgot me at the party.”

 

She sighed before she replied. “I didn’t forget you. It was the middle of the night, and I figured the way you were…”

 

“Drunk?”

 

“…yes. I thought it wasn’t a good idea to take you home. And your mom finding out. You seemed in a good place in Byul unnie’s room. She promised you’d be awake already when she would go to sleep.”

 

“What time did you leave?”

 

“One. Why?”

 

Okay, so she couldn’t know what happened. “Someone threw up in the hall. The party was over at three.”

 

“.” She paused. “So will you come and hang out on the beach with a few of us?”

 

“I can’t. I’m grounded all week. Will Hyejin be with you all?”

 

“Um…yes.”

 

Terrific! Tears of frustration welled up in my eyes.

 

“You only met her yesterday, unnie. I don’t see how you can hate her so much.”

 

“You know what I think about girls like her.”

 

“What do you mean girls like her? Unnie, she’s nice,” she tried in what should be a soothing tone. “And I think you two will get along well once you know each other better.”

 

“No thanks. I’d rather stay grounded for the rest of the summer.”

 

“Agh, Unnie. Just when have you become so complicated?”

 

Me, complicated? “You know what? I wish you a nice day at the beach. Now, if you don’t mind, I have a book to read.” I didn’t wait for her to say bye, or anything for that matter, but pushed the disconnect button and tossed the cell into the laundry basket across the room.

 

Screw her and that lion like girl. Screw them all.

 

As the first tears came out, I wanted to rip my room apart with the anger I felt. But I was going to spend a lot more time than usual in here the coming week and I didn’t want to live in a mess. So I took it out on my diary. In the evening I watched some TV then went to bed early.

 

It was still dark when someone shouting my name in a subdued voice woke me. Since there were not many people who called me Yongsun-shi, I jerked upright in my bed, my heart banging in my throat. I rushed to the window and found Byul standing in our yard, dressed in ripped denim jeans and a black tee and of course complete with her cap and her face mask.

 

My question is why? Why is the face mask and cap needed? It’s five in the morning and there is no one around.

 

“Hi,” she said and smiled with her eyes when she saw me. “You don’t look like you’re ready to go.”

 

I fought to find my voice but kept it low, leaning far out of the window. “How did you know this was my window?”

 

“I didn’t. It was trial and error.”

 

Gag. “How many windows have you tried?”

 

“Yours.”

 

“Are you coming?”

 

“I can’t. I’m grounded.”

 

A moment of silent had passed through when suddenly she was on the ground. Her body was shaking, her right hand was hitting the ground. I figured by now she was laughing so hard, silently. If that even possible.

 

I stood there, arms crossed around my chest, rolling my eyes, clearly un-mused. I don’t find this funny at all and If she’s not stopping in ten seconds, I’m locking the windows and I’m going back to sleep.

 

Fortunately she stopped sooner than I thought and she’s back on her feet holding her tummy with one hand and the other was holding the tree.

 

“Are you done, yet?”

 

“You still get grounded at this age?” she was wiping her tears away.

 

“I’m going to bed if you won’t stop this,” I warned her, fighting hard not yelled at her for making fun of me.

 

“How long are you grounded?” She asked ignoring my warning.

 

“Until Sunday. But I can come to the practice.”

 

“At least there’s that.” She scratched her chin, looking around my garden, especially scanning the shed and tree next to my window. “What time do you usually get up in the morning?”

 

What kind of question was that? “I don’t know. Eight, nine, sometimes later.”

 

“So we have at least three hours until someone will expect you downstairs.” The left corner of tilted up, and she flicked her head, motioning for me to move. “Come out.”

 

“What?”

 

“Get dressed and climb to the roof of the shed. I’ll help you down.”

 

A hesitant laugh broke from my throat. “You’re crazy.”

 

You are a coward.”

 

“I’m not!”

 

“Prove it.”

 

That cut me silent.

 

Wheein had used the tree and shed to get into my room since we were nine years old. But with a key to the front door, I had never felt the need to do the same.

 

“So?” Byul prompted me.

 

“Fine. Give one minute.” I turned around but decide to turn back “On second thought just wait there” She was insane, and I was even crazier to agree to her stupid idea. But heck, what did I have to lose? Apart from another week of freedom for a reckless escape from my room.

 

I traded my jammies for shorts, a white tank top, and sneakers, then wound my hair back to a high ponytail. Oh wait, I need to brush my teeth first.

 

Byul was leaning against the trunk of the maple tree when I returned to the window. She straightened when she saw me.

 

A little shaky at first, I hoisted one leg over the window sill and then clutched the frame as I let myself down to the roof of the shed.

 

“Good.” Byul’s low voice already sounded nearer than before. “Now hang onto that branch, and I’ll get you down.”

 

Huh? “I’ll break my neck if I fall.” Goddammit, I should have stayed in my room.

 

“I won’t let you fall. Promise.” She lifted her arms toward me as if intending to catch me.

 

Is she kidding me? I mean look at her, skinny, skinnier than me. Do I think I’m safe when she’s down there? Hell, no! Now, will she be safe? Nope, I don’t think so. I don’t want to be the reason for the death of the most loved choreographer in South Korea. Her fans won’t let me live.

 

“Yongsun-shi, trust me” She called when she sensed the hesitation in me.

 

Breathing deep, I grabbed the nearest branch then stepped off the wood board roof, suppressing a frightened moan. My feet dangled in front of her face. She stepped closer and ran her hands up my thighs until she had a good grip right beneath my bottom. I swallowed hard and wondered if she had the slightest idea how that made me feel…

 

“I have you. Let go.”

 

“What?” I cried out, digging my fingers harder into the wood.

 

She laughed, and I found I quite liked that sound. It felt soothing, somehow. “Let go of the branch, Yongsun-shi. Now.”

 

Ungh.” It took all my courage to uncurl my fingers and let her support my weight. As soon as I let go, I clutched her shoulders, and she eased the grip of my legs to wrap her arms around me and let me slide down flush to her body.

 

When my shaky feet touched firm ground, I looked up at her face.

 

She didn’t immediately release me but let a smile tug on her eyes. “Hi.”